PDA

View Full Version : Text and Voice chat

Carlo210
Jul 11, 2006, 06:43 PM
Poll time! (*Chance Time voice from mario party*)

Only vote if you actually have experience with voice chat in games. Also take into account that one bad experience doesn't mean it's always bad. Vote depending on what you like to use better.

So, what do you personally like better, have more fun using while playing, find more convenient, etc?

By the way, Text messaging will most likely win this poll, since most of the voice chat votes will be from x360 users. The poll isn't here to see what communication technology is more popular, but, as always, to give us some perspective.

Oh, and it's also here to give us something fun to do!

Now, Vote and Post!

VioletSkye
Jul 11, 2006, 06:48 PM
Where is the "both" option?
I'll use voice chat with others who would like to connect to my Ventrilo server and text chat for those who don't/can't. Personally I generally prefer voice chat but with a game like this, obviously not everyone will be using it.

Carlo210
Jul 11, 2006, 06:50 PM
Both would probably get the most votes. I mean, there are obvious pros and cons for each, which would drive the majority to jsut vote for 'both'. It's the safe choice, so i didn't include it.

Anyways, I find both means somewhat equally obstructive. Text is obstructive to use while voice chat is obstructive to listen to 1/4 of the time. I usually find myself muting my mic and voice-speaker until I'm ready to talk/listen. Usually the same deal for keyboarders, except they don't 'miss' anything since they can still read what people are saying. Seeing text boxes on screen is pretty obstructive as well, though. I keep thinking of the unobstructive Text-box style for text output, but that's not the case with the ps series (not a bad thing - the bubbles are cool, but not inobstructive, imo).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Carlo210 on 2006-07-11 16:54 ]</font>

VR_Pilot
Jul 11, 2006, 06:52 PM
I would have liked a choice for voice chat saying "best for teamwork". That's how I feel about it. It's easier to make sudden changes to team strategy with voice chat as opposed to putting down your controller and typing whatever it is you want to change, only to realize you're now dead because your chara was just standing there. Now I agree that voice chat can be annoying at times, but the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

Ether
Jul 11, 2006, 06:55 PM
Text - No FOnewearls with manly voices

Carlo210
Jul 11, 2006, 06:55 PM
That is very true, I overlooked the fact that voicechat is more on-the-fly. I keep thinking about listening to random people 'chatting' that I forget about talking about what you're doing. Good point.

Tystys
Jul 12, 2006, 01:58 PM
Bah, I find voice chat in a game like PSU could be a nice add on, but as the main form of communication, I don't think that's the best idea ever...

Lyrise
Jul 12, 2006, 02:19 PM
It's gotta be text. Too many things go on all at once, so it's nice to have the chat log to read and see if I've missed anything.

Pure-chan
Jul 12, 2006, 03:14 PM
Text for me, too. I didn't enjoy trying to sort out listening to 3 people at the same time on xbox, so it's unlikely that I would enjoy trying to sort out 5 people in PSU.

-memoru-
Jul 12, 2006, 03:24 PM
Text for me, while sometimes annoying, I think voice would be worst. I rather make up my own voices for people then hear the reality of high-pitched squeaky voices chattering to others. But i do think that voice would be good for battle parties, to an extent. There are many times when i party with new people and they tend to be rather annoying and vulgur. I don't want to hear people "f-ing" the place up. xD

Sevenfold
Jul 12, 2006, 04:33 PM
Being on PC, Ill text most of the time, but Ill have good friends on some vent and what not.

Pyronin
Jul 12, 2006, 04:52 PM
On 2006-07-12 13:14, Pure-chan wrote:
Text for me, too. I didn't enjoy trying to sort out listening to 3 people at the same time on xbox, so it's unlikely that I would enjoy trying to sort out 5 people in PSU.

Thats why you find organized people who will talk one at a time. I find it easier to use voice chat, you can kill while you tell people what to do or what you need etc.

You can also ignore people or just turn off voice chat for the moment if someone is being annoying.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pyronin on 2006-07-12 14:55 ]</font>

Tystys
Jul 12, 2006, 05:14 PM
I would think voice chat can come in handy if you're on one of those missions that require percision, like a huge boss mission.

xMutex
Jul 12, 2006, 10:20 PM
I agree with VioletSkye when i start to play I'll probably play both I'll have vent or teamspeak up and I'll also type to others who aren't or can't partacke in vent or teamspeak. So both is where I'm at.

hypersaxon
Jul 12, 2006, 10:42 PM
If I were still in the Dreamcast days, I probably wouldn't mind text chat that much. But once you experience PSO on Xbox with the addition of the headset (with a team consisting of mature adults mind you) it's no contest - voice chat is a better, more efficient, and more convenient method of communication than typing.

I know there's a lot of negativity about voice chat on here because of the annoying 10 year old kids acting like n00bs on the Xbox servers. But it's really not as bad as people make it out to be. When you get out of the lobby and into an actual game, you don't really experience the annoying stuff you hear in the lobbies except for on rare occasion. Most of the players I played with in PSOX were actual very mature and were a lot of fun to play with. My best friend on Xbox Live, xTestamentx, I met in PSO, and we've been friends for many years now. In fact, I plan on starting a legit clan with him and a few friends of ours (assuming that the game does in fact get hacked eventually, hopefully it doesn't).

Anyway, that's my thoughts on voice chat. I prefer it because I can just say what I need to say and it doesn't require me to set down the controller.

Carlo210
Jul 12, 2006, 10:45 PM
Ok, but which would you rather be stuck with if you could only use once.

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 13, 2006, 02:44 AM
It's so hard to choose.

With the keyboard, I can catch everything that's been said, but there MIGHT be some stupid profanity filters ****ing up good clean words like ***********. Plus, it's not as good during intense combat situations.

With the headset, urgent communication can be done easily, and I can tell who's a girl without guessing by the way they type (and probably being wrong). But there's always the chance of missing what people have to say. And where/when I play, I often need to be quiet so my voice sounds like crap when I talk via headset. And, many people have the same kind of voice...it can be hard to tell who's who.

Alisha
Jul 13, 2006, 08:17 AM
text. i can always understand what someone types,but i cant always comprehend what someone says.

Neith
Jul 13, 2006, 08:39 AM
Voice chat? Does that involve having to listen to other players talk? No thanks, I had enough of the drama that fills Blue burst. Having to see it typed out wwas bad enough, got no intention of listening to it too.

Keyboard chat was always enough for me, and will be for PSU. If I'm forced to hear other players, I'll play with the game muted http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

chibiLegolas
Jul 13, 2006, 10:06 AM
On 2006-07-12 20:42, hypersaxon wrote:
If I were still in the Dreamcast days, I probably wouldn't mind text chat that much. But once you experience PSO on Xbox with the addition of the headset (with a team consisting of mature adults mind you) it's no contest - voice chat is a better, more efficient, and more convenient method of communication than typing.
[snip}
I prefer it because I can just say what I need to say and it doesn't require me to set down the controller.

Here Here!
Plus the keyboard is large, clunky, and a space waster in my living room.
Besides, with an action type rpg like PSO/PSU, voice chat is more suited than turn based rpg's.
I wanna play an action RPG, not a typing game.

Besides, I find voice chatting more personal and interesting to hear so many accents out there in this grand, diverse world we live in.
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chibiLegolas on 2006-07-13 08:09 ]</font>

Carlo210
Jul 13, 2006, 08:26 PM
There is one major issue with some voice chat in games today - THEY DON'T REQUIRE A BUTTON TO ACTIVATE YOUR MIC! This is single hanndedly the most important part about voice chat in games - PSU is no exception.
If people aren't required to hold a button down to voice chat, you have to hear their loud tv echo their sound effects (basically echoing the audio through you mics headphone with a split second delay)and, being the most relevant annoyance about 'always-on' mics - you gotta hear people breathe.
Pant.
Pant.
Pant.
This is why, in PSU, you should be required to hold a button down to chat (like team chatting in Halo 2 and in Socom 2/3, or any game with a GOOD mic setup). It's required, in my opinion. If it isn't in, my mic will not be on my head at all (as with BF2:MC) and communication in PSU360 will be nonexistent (well, it will exist - it'll basically be a vein pumper since all listening to people breathe into their mics will do is piss everyone off).
Now, you could say I could mute my mic whenever I don't want to listen to people, but that's not the point. Don't post with that as an alternative because it really isn't one. You may as well not use a mic at all.
I could want to listen to someone, just not when they are breathing or, hmm... lets see... not talking.

This is a bigger issue that some of you may notice. No one likes to hear people when they don't mean for you to hear them. This has lead me and many other people to not use mics in games.
How was the chat feature in PSO? Hopefully button activated.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Carlo210 on 2006-07-13 18:32 ]</font>

Kyuu
Jul 13, 2006, 08:29 PM
On 2006-07-13 18:26, Carlo210 wrote:
There is one major issue with some voice chat in games today - THEY DON'T REQUIRE A BUTTON TO ACTIVATE YOUR MIC! This is single hanndedly the most important part about voice chat in games - PSU is no exception. If people aren't required to hold a button down to voice chat, you hear their loud tv echo their sound effects and, being the most relevant annoying part about 'always-on' mics - hearing people breathe into their mics. There is no problem with breating into your mics, but at least mute them damnit! This is why, in PSU, you should be required to hold a button down to chat (like team chatting in Halo 2 and in Socom 2/3). It's required, in my opinion. If it isn't in, my mic will not be on my head at all (as with BF2:MC).
Now, I could mute my mic whenever I don't want to listen to people, but that's not the point. Don't post with that as an alternative because it isn't. You may as well not use a mic at all.

This is a bigger issue that some of you may notice. No one likes to hear people when they don't mean for you to hear them.

PSU for PC with Ventrilo. Problem solved. I set it to activate by holding down the scroll wheel for WoW, I'll probably find some unused button on the controller for it this time. Maybe PSU will recognize the XBox Live button on the middle of the 360 controller. Failing that, I'm sure I'll be able to leave one of the trigger or shoulder buttons free.

Carlo210
Jul 13, 2006, 08:34 PM
On 2006-07-13 18:29, Kyuu wrote:

On 2006-07-13 18:26, Carlo210 wrote:
There is one major issue with some voice chat in games today - THEY DON'T REQUIRE A BUTTON TO ACTIVATE YOUR MIC! This is single hanndedly the most important part about voice chat in games - PSU is no exception. If people aren't required to hold a button down to voice chat, you hear their loud tv echo their sound effects and, being the most relevant annoying part about 'always-on' mics - hearing people breathe into their mics. There is no problem with breating into your mics, but at least mute them damnit! This is why, in PSU, you should be required to hold a button down to chat (like team chatting in Halo 2 and in Socom 2/3). It's required, in my opinion. If it isn't in, my mic will not be on my head at all (as with BF2:MC).
Now, I could mute my mic whenever I don't want to listen to people, but that's not the point. Don't post with that as an alternative because it isn't. You may as well not use a mic at all.

This is a bigger issue that some of you may notice. No one likes to hear people when they don't mean for you to hear them.

PSU for PC with Ventrilo. Problem solved. I set it to activate by holding down the scroll wheel for WoW, I'll probably find some unused button on the controller for it this time. Maybe PSU will recognize the XBox Live button on the middle of the 360 controller. Failing that, I'm sure I'll be able to leave one of the trigger or shoulder buttons free.

That's very nice for you and your pc.

.... ?

Back to the voice chat issue - this is a rising concern that I have with communication in PSU360.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Carlo210 on 2006-07-13 18:38 ]</font>

Carlo210
Jul 13, 2006, 11:53 PM
If PSOX had a button to activate you mic, then maybe PSU will. Did PSOX have button-activated mics?

Oji_Retta
Jul 14, 2006, 12:25 AM
I've done the voice thing and it is the most irritating thing. Its fine when playing with friends only, it makes things easier. But when dealing in an MMO, its hell...really. I don't need to have a headache from playing a game hahaha unless I blast my eardrums with the volume. Voice also ruins the atmosphere of the game. You can actually hear what goes on in a players house. With text, the outside world doesn't intrude into the game. I definately prefer text. While voice is convenient it can really ruin a game, especially an MMO (RPG type) game since atmosphere is important in those.

Carlo210
Jul 14, 2006, 01:29 AM
Maybe for the lobby and talking to random people, but I don't see how voice chat would be superior when actually fighting (using your reasoning).

Kyuu
Jul 14, 2006, 02:17 AM
Do you really need to talk all that much while fighting? PSO/PSU's battles aren't exactly complex battlegrounds where you have to make strategic decisions in concert with the rest of your party.

PSU for the 360 will have voice-chat (and if you don't want to listen/talk using the mic, then I'm sure there's an option to mute the people around you), the PS2 version won't, and the PC version probably won't either (but PC users can just have Vent running in the background). I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. o_0

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 14, 2006, 02:54 AM
Sometimes a fight can be intense enough that instant communication is necessary. We don't know what's in store for us, and there can be more experienced people fighting alongside us to give us tips during battle or urgently (or conveniently) give commands for the safety of the party, such as "spread out!" (if an enemy will use an Area of Effect attack), "come together!" (if a force wants to cast an AoE heal if available), "get away from it!" (if an enemy's about to use an attack that hits all around it), or "Fox, get this guy off me! (in which case he should do a barrel roll http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)"

These sorts of things, even if not essential because PSU doesn't turn out to be all that hard or complicated, can still add to the feeling of being a team as strategies are being used on the fly.

Pure-chan
Jul 14, 2006, 10:40 AM
On 2006-07-12 14:52, Pyronin wrote:

Thats why you find organized people who will talk one at a time. I find it easier to use voice chat, you can kill while you tell people what to do or what you need etc.

Based on what I've seen from online gaming so far, I think I'd rather just type than depend on 'organized people', to not junk up my headset. ...Or breathe in it all heavy... ugh, that's just gross.

Besides, typing and playing isn't all that bad, I can multitask. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Garroway
Jul 14, 2006, 12:56 PM
I forget who brought it up, but someone pointed out that people don't want voice chat so they pretend to be members of the opposite sex much easier with text based communication. That kind of took the steam out of the Voice hate movement for me. I personnaly don't care if you're a guy playing a girl with a mans voice (DR Girlfriend anyone?).

Having voice available is certainly preferrable to not. Almost all of the anti-voice arguments apply to text communication as well. Both mediums are abused by people I don't want to play with.

Carlo210
Jul 14, 2006, 03:16 PM
On 2006-07-14 00:17, Kyuu wrote:
Do you really need to talk all that much while fighting? PSO/PSU's battles aren't exactly complex battlegrounds where you have to make strategic decisions in concert with the rest of your party.

PSU for the 360 will have voice-chat (and if you don't want to listen/talk using the mic, then I'm sure there's an option to mute the people around you), the PS2 version won't, and the PC version probably won't either (but PC users can just have Vent running in the background). I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. o_0

I'm not sure there was a problem...