PDA

View Full Version : Battle Board.

Cube
Oct 25, 2002, 03:06 PM
PSOW needs a BA board bad.

What about player match up you say?

That is for players to come to set up games, to find people to play PSO with, to start clans, etc.

A Battle board would be much better suited. so you could talk about battle techniques, cheaters, to boast, to anounce tourneys, to compare and contrast strats, etc

When you think about it, there really is no reason NOT to have a Battle Board.. It seems very logical, heck every other PSO site with a board has one. PSOW is in dire need of one.

Darrin
Oct 25, 2002, 06:13 PM
That sounds like a great idea

Sedyne
Oct 25, 2002, 06:34 PM
"wonders why they didn't create one when v2 was released...."

Let's get cracking admins....

Brimstone
Oct 25, 2002, 06:41 PM
O we definitely need a battle board so i can get matches to R0xx0R people. It'd be good to set up tournaments on like we did in v2 as well. All Hail BA board.

pixelate
Oct 25, 2002, 06:50 PM
I'll have to say no. Player Matchup and General would suit this. Player Matchup would deal with the setting up of tournies. And General would suit for all the BA specifics, because that's what General is for: gameplay discussion. Another board would add to the amount of scrolling PSOW does, which is a factor in adding things like this. Even adding the heading Community had to be thought over.

ABDUR101
Oct 25, 2002, 07:00 PM
I agree with Pixel. General is where all the tactics for the game go(Challenge mode tactics were put in general and stickied to the top, the same can be done for Battle Mode), and Player Match-up was always used for setting up Battle Mode, Challenge and normal play with people.

If there's a Battle Mode forum, there'd have to be a Challenge Mode forum. Thats why there's the General and Player Match-up forums, we've hit the birds with one stone on the first try.

Cube
Oct 25, 2002, 07:06 PM
On 2002-10-25 16:50, pixelate wrote:
I'll have to say no. Player Matchup and General would suit this. Player Matchup would deal with the setting up of tournies. And General would suit for all the BA specifics, because that's what General is for: gameplay discussion. Another board would add to the amount of scrolling PSOW does, which is a factor in adding things like this. Even adding the heading Community had to be thought over.

I have to disagree. Who would want to go to more than one board for Battle information. General board deals with basic PSO questions, comments, etc... Player matchup deals with clans, and setting up games. But there is no board specifically for Battle Mode. Which is what we want. We want a specific board to go to, to discuss battle. And PSO is the only site without one.

It's not that difficult is it? There is an infanant amount of topics to speak about in the Battle board, so listing them all would be pointless. Just the atmosphere of a battle board would be welcoming to Battlers simply because we know that when we enter those boards all were going to see is battle topics. And thats all we want to see. We dont want to dig around two different boards for that stuff when all of it can be put into one.

C'mon, I thought PSOW's new administration was supose to care about what their members thought. At least it would be comforting to know that. We should of had a board like this back in v2... there really is no logical reason NOT to have this board...

I've been told time in and time out "just do it in player match-up." or "a BA board isnt needed."...

Well i've been here for over a year, longer than 99% of the rest of these boards, and I have always remained loyal to PSOW. Through thick and through thin. C'mon admins, do this for us!

Cube
Oct 25, 2002, 07:10 PM
No, you will not need to make a Challenge forum.

because a) No one has proposed one. b) Challenge mode is ONLY player matchup. There are no tourneys, discussions, and so forth on simply c-mode.

And even if you believe creating a BA board would mean you have to create a Challenge board, so what?

It really can't be that hard to do something for us battlers... like creating a new board.

You mentioned scrolling? Yes, we will have to scroll all over the boards for our battling needs if a BA board isnt created... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cube on 2002-10-25 17:14 ]</font>

pixelate
Oct 25, 2002, 07:16 PM
Well, let's devote a board to the changing room, a board for boss fighting, a board for lobby rats, a board for lobby soccer, a board for challenge mode, a board for mags, a board for weapons, a board for shields, a board for offline quests, a board for online quests, a board for forces, a board for hunters, a board for rangers, a board for...

If anything, I suggest Player Matchup be given a more detailed description.

Cube
Oct 25, 2002, 07:22 PM
There are 3 modes to play in PSO.

General mode.

Challenge mode.

Battle mode.

Why dont we have a board for at least 2 of those?

3 modes to play in PSO. And we dont have 3 seperate boards for that for some reason? You all know very well a BA board is very different from a lobby soccer boards, or a mag board.

Brimstone
Oct 25, 2002, 07:29 PM
But does anyone ever go to player matchup? No, almost never. Thats why in ver2 battle messages had to be posted in the general forum to tell people of thier occurence. There are plent of boards here that people visit on occasion, but they're not a standard thing. If a Battle board, or even a battle/Challenge board was created, you could go to find the latest news on those subjects, and not have to search around for the subjects you like. Battle and Challenge have devout followers unlike some of the other things in the game. A board for these subjects would allow better organization for tournaments, etc. as well. I mean hell, new boards like the lounge, and the rants board are useless, and most tech support problems get posted in other areas because nobody ever visits tech support, so many questions are left unanswered.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brimstone on 2002-10-25 17:33 ]</font>

pixelate
Oct 25, 2002, 07:36 PM
On 2002-10-25 17:22, Cube wrote:
You all know very well a BA board is very different from a lobby soccer boards, or a mag board.

Not really. That's where it varies from person to person. There are many types of players that stick with different aspects of the game. Asking for a separation of boards is asking for special treatment to a specific type of player, which isn't really something I'm too keen on.

But I don't make these kinds of decisions.

pixelate
Oct 25, 2002, 07:46 PM
On 2002-10-25 17:29, Brimstone wrote:
But does anyone ever go to player matchup? No, almost never. Thats why in ver2 battle messages had to be posted in the general forum to tell people of thier occurence. There are plent of boards here that people visit on occasion, but they're not a standard thing. If a Battle board, or even a battle/Challenge board was created, you could go to find the latest news on those subjects, and not have to search around for the subjects you like. Battle and Challenge have devout followers unlike some of the other things in the game. A board for these subjects would allow better organization for tournaments, etc. as well. I mean hell, new boards like the lounge, and the rants board are useless, and most tech support problems get posted in other areas because nobody ever visits tech support, so many questions are left unanswered.

Well, if people can't figure out that Tech Support is for posting about technical problems, I wonder if people will figure out what a battle board is for.

If new boards have proven unsuccessful, how can a new battle board be justified?

And you'll have to sift through posts in a battle board, just like in General or Player Matchup.

More than anything, the current boards need to be reenforced.

To me, adding a new board sounds like a request for more laziness.

Saladwood
Oct 25, 2002, 07:50 PM
first of all, there's PLAYER MATCHUP already

secondly, the answers to the poll are severly biased towards YOUR own biased opinion.

Shrevn
Oct 25, 2002, 11:12 PM
Stupido pollo del demonio!

Im down with the idea of tourneys!! that would be kinda cool... but a board about them? na... theres enough damn option thingies already 1 more its too much...

Cube
Oct 25, 2002, 11:28 PM
I dont understand why you mods are too lazy to create another board.

There are 3 types of gameplay (modes) in PSO.

Battle

Challenge

And Quest (normal levels)

Why don't we have boards for these when we have boards like Rants, The Lounge, The Dump, and so many more that people dont use.. and are understandably useless... hell most of those don't even pertain to PSO. Were just asking for a board to talk about battle on. Is it really that hard? I'm sure a ton of people here would be willing to moderate it, if thats the issue. I really don't see any logic to you're defense on why NOT to have a board other than your own laziness.

Am I biased on this issue? Of course, I stand firm, believing your users actually have some sort of say in what boards appear.

The board IS NOT PLAYER MATCHUP. It wouldnt be a board to simply look for people to battle with. It would be a board to talk about battle, and ONLY battle.

General board is for PSO in general. If you argue that you could put the BA board into the General board, then you might as well argue that you put all the boards into General.

Where's erupt on this issue... I just want to know that our opinions actually matter here... PSOW is the greatest community I have ever been a part of, but how can you call it a community when the mods, our leaders, never support our ideas?

yes, this board would pertain to certain users. But so does every board here, off topic, rants, the lounge, trading, etc...

Cmon... a simple BA board is all were asking for. Give it a 2 week trial period if you will, and if it is really that big of a burdon, then you can delete it.

X-thirteen
Oct 25, 2002, 11:31 PM
i think we should have this.

ps: i was not forced to vote yes http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

ABDUR101
Oct 25, 2002, 11:45 PM
On 2002-10-25 21:28, Cube wrote:
Where's erupt on this issue... I just want to know that our opinions actually matter here... PSOW is the greatest community I have ever been a part of, but how can you call it a community when the mods, our leaders, never support our ideas?

This isn't an open and shut case. And it's not a decision thats going to be made blatantly. How about being patient?

Oh, and I don't think you even have the right to even hint at the mods or admins of this site being lazy. You ever have to delete four forum pages worth of spam threads? Scour every post on PSOW for flaming, un-allowed or inappropriate material and make sure everything was working ok and viewable for minors? By all means, I don't mind doing that, and I don't ask to be thanked, but atleast show respect for what we've done so far.

*EDIT*
Typo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2002-10-25 21:57 ]</font>

Cube
Oct 25, 2002, 11:52 PM
I can be patient. It's just that getting the mods to actual listen to you is hard. And having them comply is even harder...

I'll give this a rest for a bit, but please give the board a chance at least. it wont hurt.

pixelate
Oct 26, 2002, 12:07 AM
I really don't see any logic to you're defense on why NOT to have a board other than your own laziness.

I don't see any other reason to add a board other than their own laziness to visit two boards instead of one.

Of course members have a say in what goes on around here; it's a community. But you have to realize that we have to accommodate for as many members as possible. I know adding a new board sounds simple, because it is. But not every member runs on a smoking computer with a massive monitor; that's why scrolling IS an issue. This is also why the lifebars were removed; they were poorly coded and caused a slowdown of PSOW. And as for not supporting ideas, check out the stickied post about the changes made here.

For me, there's a difference between saying no to everything members think up and working within the restrictions this site has. I'm not trying to shoot down your idea, Cube, I'm just making aware the restrictions we have to work with and what negative things may occur for other members.

ABDUR101
Oct 26, 2002, 12:35 AM
And the idea hasn't even been ruled out yet. Don't expect an immediate answer, either. The reason things have been improving here are because we take our time and think things over alittle before they are added or incorporated into the site.

And you have to remember that just because someone says no to your idea doesn't mean we aren't listening or trying to do what the members want, we have to think things over otherwise you get rush-jobs and problems. And no, we don't just "comply". The responsible thing to do is the exact opposite of complying. We have to make the right decisions for the website and the community, even if it's disappointing to some of the members, we still have to make the best decision on behalf of everyone.

Like pixel said, not everyone has the best hardware and connection, we already have posters having problems with the site loading slow and having to scroll to view everything on screen.

We are the Complaint Department, Quality Assurance and Over-all Care-takers of the site. If we say no to something, it's not out of spite, it's because we're thinking about how it effects everyone who visits PSOW.

*EDIT*
And when I say "We're not saying no", I'm reffering to the overall answer being "No", just because afew of us said no doesn't set it in stone. Thats just our stance on it after we thought about it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2002-10-25 23:09 ]</font>

RuneLateralus
Oct 26, 2002, 12:38 AM
Back to the main subject on hand, I would also have to say no. We have Player Match-up for a reason. It is meant to meet other players for gameplay, and Battle and Challange are both forms of gameplay either way you look at it.

I am not shooting down your idea completely, but as Pixel and Abdur said, there are a good amount of restrictions here, but just be pantient. It might happen, it might not. Time will tell.

Danger_Girl
Oct 26, 2002, 01:13 AM
Too many boards...I agree with that.

They have a board for spam. They have a board for ranting. They have a board for complaining about cheaters. They have a board for talking about your mags. They have a board for saying hello.

There is obviously no room for a battle arena board.

LollipopLolita
Oct 26, 2002, 03:41 AM
On 2002-10-25 21:52, Cube wrote:
It's just that getting the mods to actual listen to you is hard. And having them comply is even harder...

that is untrue. why else would we have the lounge and fresh kills landfills. besides everything is voted on. everyone's votes count within admins and mods, it's not like erupt has the final vote.

and i say no, too many boards and redundancy.

everyone has their opinion, respect it.

ABDUR101
Oct 26, 2002, 04:05 AM
On 2002-10-25 23:13, Danger_Girl wrote:
They have a board for spam.

Which is where all the spam goes so it isn't cluttering up the other forums, making it easier to find the threads that partain to that forum.

They have a board for ranting.

Which is used, again, so the rant threads aren't thrown about in all the other forums.

They have a board for complaining about cheaters.

Complaining about cheaters, reporting cheaters, news to look out for about cheating, etc.

They have a board for talking about your mags.

Mags, Items, User ID's and Quests.

See, some forums have multiple purposes, which is alot better than making a single forum for each of those things. It's like this, some things just don't get enough attention, maybe people don't do them often enough, or don't have many questions partaining to them, so they are bundled together and fit into one forum, because a single forum can easily accomodate all of the things it's used for.

Much like the General and Player Match-up forums.

They have a board for saying hello.

Yeah, which you eagerly took part in, yeah? Did'nt hear you saying anything back then when you were getting post count ++ everytime someone joined PSOW.

There is obviously no room for a battle arena board.

Nope, actually that would fit right into the General and Player Match-up forums without a hitch.

Your arguement that "barely anyone visits Player Match-up" is lost, because if you actually went there and used it for BA match-ups and tourneys, it'd be getting used, and people would have a reason to go there.

We've looked at your view on the matter, but are any of you looking from our viewpoint?

If you aren't, then this has all been a waste of time, because you can't just look at it from one side.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2002-10-26 02:08 ]</font>

eRUPT
Oct 26, 2002, 06:09 AM
Letting me know that I don't make features for the site that users request? come again?

Thats not exactly what I call an admin encouraging comment, since when 80% of my features I code are in fact user requests. Even little things users request I have added in. Even some things I've gone halfway with.

Yeah that comment just leads me to ignore this thread for the rest of its duration.

Cube
Oct 26, 2002, 11:34 AM
On 2002-10-26 04:09, eRUPT wrote:
Letting me know that I don't make features for the site that users request? come again?

When did I ever say that you dont make features we request?

Whatever, I was just making a suggestion which is apparently totally out of the question.

Worth a try. =/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cube on 2002-10-26 09:50 ]</font>

Dangerous55
Oct 26, 2002, 11:50 AM
No, because thats cannabilizing the General board.

Davion
Oct 26, 2002, 11:53 AM
Could we just try it for a month or so and see what happens?

eRUPT
Oct 26, 2002, 03:07 PM

That sounds like telling me I never do anything with your ideas. I can't call it a community right?

Maybe you should concider how I felt about that statement.

ABDUR101
Oct 26, 2002, 03:31 PM
On 2002-10-26 09:34, Cube wrote:
Whatever, I was just making a suggestion which is apparently totally out of the question.

Out of the question? It's not like we did'nt give it any thought. You asked for it, we thought about it, the answer was no, and legitimate reasons were given as to why the answer was no. If you can't accept that, then I'm sorry.

Worth a try. =/

Yes, it was worth a try. Thats what Site Related is for. Members submit requests, we think them over and then give a decision.

Thank You for submitting your request Cube, it shows you are thinking of ways to advance and expand on the community. Even if you don't agree with the decision that was made, atleast accept it with respect. =)

*Edit*
I..hate..typos.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2002-10-26 13:33 ]</font>

LollipopLolita
Oct 26, 2002, 03:41 PM
i thought it was a good discussion, more members should be like cube and push forward ideas and back up a pitch.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2002-10-26 13:42 ]</font>

Spy
Oct 28, 2002, 03:41 AM
On 2002-10-26 13:41, LollipopLolita wrote:
i thought it was a good discussion[...]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2002-10-26 13:42 ]</font>

I liked how you guys spun away from the flat "no" answers given at the begining of the thread.

LollipopLolita
Oct 28, 2002, 08:48 AM
it was a discussion spy, stop being judgemental. and spy and alisha please do not spam in this thread and the other thread; the spam forum was implemented to take care of problem spammers. this is a worthy discussion that i had to lock because of the two of you and i do not like locking such threads. consider this spam warnings.

as for the battle board. here is how it will be. all threads about battle gameplay will be in general, all threads looking for people to play battle with shall be in player matchup.

in a couple weeks when everyone starts playing pso gc again and threads and people pick up, we'll see how many battle threads there are and if it is good enough amount to qualify for it's own board. if it is good enough then we will either implement it or have one final round of voting.

i think that's a fair resolution. so for those of you who are for the battle board, prove it by making good noteworthy interesting topics (don't spam though kay). this way we can really see if a battle forum is needed or not.

cube, if you would like to give me input on this settlement, please pm me! looking forward to it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2002-10-28 05:50 ]</font>