PDA

View Full Version : does PSU support 5.1 speakers?

Inazuma
Jul 12, 2006, 03:45 PM
im planning on buying some nice logitech 5.1 speakers soon and im wondering if PSU will support em.

ive never had 5.1 speakers in the past so i have no idea how well pc games support em.

any psu beta testers out there w/ 5.1 speakers? also, does psobb support em?

VioletSkye
Jul 12, 2006, 04:03 PM
I'm sure it will support 5.1. Not sure about OpenAL or EAX Advanced HD 5.0 though.

Inazuma
Jul 12, 2006, 05:29 PM
thx. btw, i have no fucking idea what those other things you mentioned are. care to explain? im prob gonna end up w/ a xi-fi sound card if it matters

VioletSkye
Jul 12, 2006, 05:50 PM
OpenAL is an open source API for 2D and 3D audio. Alot of newer games (Quake 4, Doom 3, Battlefield 2, etc.) use OpenAL. EAX is another sound API for creating real-time environmental sound effects. EAX can be handled through software emulation or by a dedicated card (Soundblaster Live and up.) Each newer version supports newer and more advanced features. Which is why having a dedicated sound card will usually yield you more frames per second than integrated sound which needs CPU power to emulate the effects that a dedicated card would handle. As games take advantage of more sophisticated sound technologies, the need for a dedicated card will rise.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-07-12 15:55 ]</font>

Inazuma
Jul 13, 2006, 12:23 AM
cool, i hope psu is up to date on all these sound technologies.

Alisha
Jul 13, 2006, 08:20 AM
i think the gc version of pso supported 5.1 so i see no reason why psu wouldnt

watashiwa
Jul 13, 2006, 10:14 AM
On 2006-07-13 06:20, Alisha wrote:
i think the gc version of pso supported 5.1 so i see no reason why psu wouldnt

The Gamecube itself doesn't even have a method to connect to 5.1 speakers. So, no, PSO didn't... NO Gamecube game supports 5.1 speakers, there is no digital coax or optical out on the system.

Nuclearranger
Jul 13, 2006, 10:45 AM
Well accualy PSO DID support 5.1 and you could get this addapter for it.
Stop dissin the cube XD

Nuclearranger
Jul 13, 2006, 02:04 PM
If you have an integrated sound can you get a normal sound card later or are you stuck with that? If you can just PM me the answer

watashiwa
Jul 13, 2006, 02:20 PM
On 2006-07-13 08:45, NuclearRanger wrote:
Well accualy PSO DID support 5.1 and you could get this addapter for it.
Stop dissin the cube XD

Show me this adapter. Just did a search for Gamecube digital audio and found NOTHING.

If you're referring to the video adapter for component output for the digital port, that's all it did, just video.. and only 480p at that. Not even 720p or 1080i.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2006-07-13 12:22 ]</font>

Kyuu
Jul 13, 2006, 08:20 PM
On 2006-07-13 12:04, NuclearRanger wrote:
If you have an integrated sound can you get a normal sound card later or are you stuck with that? If you can just PM me the answer

Yes, you can turn off the integrated sound and have the computer use the soundcard instead. You have to make sure and turn off the motherboard's audio, though, or else you'll likely get conflicts between the two (IRQ errors).

VioletSkye
Jul 13, 2006, 09:32 PM
Actually, although it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you disable the onboard audio when using a dedicated soundcard, alot of times it will still work just fine even if you don't. You wouldn't receive any IRQ errors (especially with XP) because they are not competeing for Interupt Request lines. About the only time you may see an IRQ error on XP is if you have Plug and Play disabled. The reason you won't get an IRQ error is because the motherboard devices have preset IRQ numbers that they use as do the expansion slots. An expansion card shouldn't interfere with an onboard request line.

Still though, like Kyuu said, you DEFINITELY SHOULD disable the onboard audio if you plan to use a dedicated soundcard.

Forgot to mention that on some older motherboards there is also a jumper that needs to be set when disabling onboard audio.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-07-13 20:14 ]</font>

Carlo210
Jul 13, 2006, 09:53 PM
Yes, remember to only have one soundcard at a time (and I advise uninstalling all unneeded drivers as well). I've have some issues installing my new soundcard and realized I had to unload my mobo's soundcard. Anywho, I still have a pet-peeve of a problem with my new sound (totally off topic). My master volume channel does NOTHING. Everything runs through my WAVE channel. Its annoying because the volume buttons on my kbd only change the master volume channel on my c. I can mute the master channel and sounds (midi too) are not affected.