PDA

View Full Version : PSU offline PS2

DoubleJG
Jul 13, 2006, 11:26 PM
Any confirmation yet as to if PSU will have story and extra modes offline and then online mode online (ofcourse)? Some people said that PSU on PC and the 360 will be 100% online for anything, but I highly doubt that that will be the case for the PS2 version. If someone could send me a link that has proof of what online/offline status they will be, please post it here. Any other helpful information would be nice too. Thanks.

EnixBelmont
Jul 13, 2006, 11:33 PM
Uh, it is pretty much confirmed that at least the PS2 version will not need a constant internet connection. XBOX 360 may also be the same. PC you just need a constant internet connection, but you can still play story mode without paying a monthly fee.

Tystys
Jul 14, 2006, 04:42 PM
I don't get why you need an internet connection to play the single player game anyways...it just seems....retarded.

AvianKaitos
Jul 14, 2006, 04:51 PM
I heard it was an anti-cheating precaution.

Saner
Jul 14, 2006, 05:09 PM
even so, it's still a lame excuse and really blocks out many offline-only consumers from buying the game if they need to be connected online to play offline.

many people have no access to online at all, so even a simple account requirement would be impossible for them.

so business-wise, they need to think smarter when it comes to security vs. accessbility.

cheaters will break through either way.

what they should be working on, is having people who observe the servers and hunt down cheaters that exist in the servers.

building a barricade is useless if intruders break through. at least security guards would maintain the servers clean and stuff like that.

so ya, basically stuff like Game Masters would really help prevent cheating by hunting them down, than building layers of requirements and walls that cheaters will find a way through anyway.

Carlo210
Jul 14, 2006, 06:10 PM
ST better get their act together in terms of security. I don't want PSU to become a hacker/cheater infested community like PSO.

AvianKaitos
Jul 14, 2006, 11:11 PM
I think ST is more aware of cheating this time around. Heck, the PS2 has DNAS to screen any unwanted mods/hacks/dupes, and even Blue Burst utilizes nprotect and GM’s, even though I’ve never seen them before. Even if there are those that get through the barriers, it’s a small breed, not everyone will try it. I think we’ll be in safe hands this time around.

zandra117
Jul 14, 2006, 11:34 PM
As for the xbox360 version of PSU, Xbox Live detects modchips so the only way to get online with mods is to softmod. Softmodding was only possible because of a bug found in 3 old xbox games. This bug was fixed in newer versions of the xbox and all versions of the xbox360. There is no known way to softmod the xbox360. PSU is server side saved, the only way to hack it is to hack the server. NO ONE has ever managed to succesfully hack Microsoft's Xbox Live server. I HIGHLY doubt it will ever happen.

A2K
Jul 15, 2006, 12:30 AM
On 2006-07-14 21:11, AvianKaitos wrote:
I think ST is more aware of cheating this time around. Heck, the PS2 has DNAS to screen any unwanted mods/hacks/dupes, and even Blue Burst utilizes nprotect and GM’s, even though I’ve never seen them before. Even if there are those that get through the barriers, it’s a small breed, not everyone will try it. I think we’ll be in safe hands this time around.

The US version of Blue Burst only has one GM. >.>

It seems that, based on the closed beta, PSU PC will be using nProtect GameGuard as well--which would explain the internet connection requirement, methinks.

Saner
Jul 15, 2006, 04:05 PM
ONE GM????? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

lol! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

PrinceBrightstar
Jul 15, 2006, 04:31 PM
Clumsyorchid be his name. And he's already confirmed as a PSU GM, no word on if there will be more.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2006-07-15 14:31 ]</font>

DoubleJG
Jul 15, 2006, 04:45 PM
I've always wondered this, is Clumsyorchid just a regular person/player who got the lucky oppurtunity of being a mod, GM and all that stuff? Or does he actually work for Sega? Never really found much out about this guy.

Saner
Jul 15, 2006, 06:37 PM
wow one GM for PSO:BB? lol.

I never counted how many FF11 GMs there were (though through my career during the era of playing FF11, I only met one in person in one of the dungeons.)

what does the GM PSO:BB look like? do they have unique clothes or something? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Pheromone
Jul 15, 2006, 09:04 PM
On 2006-07-15 16:37, Saner wrote:
wow one GM for PSO:BB? lol.

I never counted how many FF11 GMs there were (though through my career during the era of playing FF11, I only met one in person in one of the dungeons.)

what does the GM PSO:BB look like? do they have unique clothes or something? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

They kind of look like a black robed FOmar... but they do look unique, yes

Kyuu
Jul 15, 2006, 09:23 PM
On 2006-07-15 14:45, DoubleJG3288 wrote:
I've always wondered this, is Clumsyorchid just a regular person/player who got the lucky oppurtunity of being a mod, GM and all that stuff? Or does he actually work for Sega? Never really found much out about this guy.

No, he works for Sega. Kind of a stressful job, really, being the sole person responsible for PSO:BB. Then again, PSO:BB's population isn't huge.

I don't really see what's so funny about PSO:BB having one GM. o_0 Sega = corporation. Corporations try to get away with as little payroll as possible. PSO:BB is running along fine with one GM, so why hire more?

VAL-0251
Jul 15, 2006, 11:04 PM
On 2006-07-14 15:09, Saner wrote:
even so, it's still a lame excuse and really blocks out many offline-only consumers from buying the game if they need to be connected online to play offline.

many people have no access to online at all, so even a simple account requirement would be impossible for them.
Maybe it hasn't occurred to you, but the population of people interested in a massively multiplayer game (offline mode or not, that's what PSU is) without internet access is going to be extremely slim, if not nonexistant altogether.

so business-wise, they need to think smarter when it comes to security vs. accessbility.

cheaters will break through either way.

what they should be working on, is having people who observe the servers and hunt down cheaters that exist in the servers.
You obviously have no idea how business and technology go together, so I will go through this slowly.

Businesses use technology to enhance their bottom line. Make money. That's what businesses are in business to do.

You're suggesting that Sega make it simple for cheaters to cheat (a group that is always known to exist) in exchange for some extra accessability...which will please some group of people who are so minor they may or may not exist.

Cheater activity inarguably damages the bottom line of a game. It annoys legitimate players, who will quit if annoyed enough. Cheaters also give you less money, because they complete the game faster than should be possible. Complete, in this case, is completing what they want to do.

There are two main ways of combatting cheaters.
1) human intervention
2) technical boundaries

Technical boundaries require no money after being implimented, and become a constant detriment to cheaters.

Human intervention requires constant upkeep (a paycheck) and is only a detriment to cheaters about 8 hours of the 24 per unit hired.

You are basically asking Sega to damage their bottom line in THREE main ways, by promoting cheaters by not discouraging them, by not supporting regular players to the best of their abilities, and by relying on a more expensive form of enforcement.

YOU try to sell it to any businessman alive that they should throw all that money down the drain because 'it'd be nice to people who may or may not exist'.

building a barricade is useless if intruders break through. at least security guards would maintain the servers clean and stuff like that.
Have you ever heard of the phrase "An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure"?

Yea.

so ya, basically stuff like Game Masters would really help prevent cheating by hunting them down, than building layers of requirements and walls that cheaters will find a way through anyway

The very idea that security measures aren't worth it because some nebulous person is 'going to find a way through' (an assumption that isn't true, and is an example of extremely sloppy thinking) is just proof of how incredibly inept you are when it comes to technical issues.

Locks keep honest people honest, and security keeps non-cheaters from considering cheating. Period.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VAL-0251 on 2006-07-15 21:06 ]</font>