PDA

View Full Version : USA isnt linked to UK!?!?!?!

MoonSblaise
Jul 14, 2006, 02:57 PM
Arghhh, i read on the FAQ that the game servers will be region seperated... that means no UK and US though... >.< i wanted to ship in an american version rather than wait another couple of monnths for the UK one... Noooo >.< are they sure? >.< please tell me you've read otherwise....

Carlo210
Jul 14, 2006, 02:59 PM
It's for sure, though I don't get it because there's not much of a barrier between languages.

ST being lazy?

MoonSblaise
Jul 14, 2006, 03:00 PM
Damn man... All i ask for is a solid UK release date i say!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

mechatra
Jul 14, 2006, 03:03 PM
First off, it's not a U.K. version, its a EU version, it's gonna most probably have 5 main languages on it.

It's also mainly said that it's going to be sometime in November that it's released.

Finally, I don't recall ever reading that the English speaking servers would be seperated. IIRC ST only spoke about seperating the U.S. and the JP servers, so the EU servers are still up in the air.

If anyone can correct me though, please do.

MoonSblaise
Jul 14, 2006, 03:05 PM
Wasn't saying the U.K has its own server, by U.K i meant europe yeah... jus since im from the U.K i was just asking if it was seperated from US...!!!! but hmmm you think EU and US might still be on a shared server then?

parabolee
Jul 14, 2006, 03:11 PM
That would be dumb, especially since when PSO came out all the EU servers were connected with the US and Japanese servers.

I live in the US now but it would suck to not be able to play with my mates back in the UK.

MoonSblaise
Jul 14, 2006, 03:12 PM
Mmmm its jus annoying because i need to know for sure before i ship in a copy and blow £30...

Pure-chan
Jul 14, 2006, 03:14 PM
I'm pretty sure JP gets their own server, then everyone else is lumped in together.

I'm going to miss my jp friends... T-T

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pure-chan on 2006-07-14 13:15 ]</font>

MoonSblaise
Jul 14, 2006, 03:14 PM
Awesome, gives me some yummy hope... ship in from america here we come.

Tystys
Jul 14, 2006, 04:26 PM
I am going to kill them if they don't link European and USA servers after the first few months.

VAL-0251
Jul 14, 2006, 04:37 PM
You're going to be plenty free to go over to another region's servers regardless of your geographical location with a quick modification of the gateway the game uses.

If you can't do this in 5 seconds with a .cfg file modification, there will be a 3rd party mod out within a week that will do it. They're not hard to make. That's just how MMOs work on a technical level.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VAL-0251 on 2006-07-14 14:38 ]</font>

Tystys
Jul 14, 2006, 04:40 PM
Yeah but what about people who were too stupid to buy the PC version and instead went PS2....people like me, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

VAL-0251
Jul 14, 2006, 04:52 PM
On 2006-07-14 14:40, Tystys wrote:
Yeah but what about people who were too stupid to buy the PC version and instead went PS2....people like me, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I'm not too familiar with the PS2's WAN drivers, but here are a few ideas off the top of my head.

1) Port forwarding on your router. You can easily dink with it a bit to make something using a specific port go to a specific IP (IE, whatever the game wants to use to talk to the gateway, you just force it to something different). This is simple to do; most router manuals give you a complete walkthrough. At worst, you'll see a guide for this on GameFAQs the week of release.

2) Packet filtering the PS2 itself. Not easy, requires a little equipment, but not too difficult, either, and completely infallable from a technical standpoint. The PS2 won't know the difference in any way if you do it properly.

3) A soft-mod of the PS2 network drivers. I'm not entirely certain if this is possible the way I imagine it. It probably is, but there's a chance it's not. But basically you'd send it to a guy for 20 bucks plus shipping, and he cracks the network software open so you can play with it the same way you play with your computer drivers. Not a standard operation by any means, but probably possible.

I could probably come up with some more ideas if I had time to do some research, but rest assured that there IS a way. There always is.

Ether
Jul 14, 2006, 05:21 PM
Even if you were to do that, wouldnt you need to buy the version you're trying to connect to anyways in order to get a valid serial key?

zandra117
Jul 14, 2006, 05:38 PM
On PSOX the EU and US servers were seperated.

Saner
Jul 14, 2006, 05:40 PM
they are probably doing this for added security.

pretty excessive decisions just to control cheating.

what they need are GMs, not all these walls.

tank1
Jul 14, 2006, 05:41 PM
I hope that EU and the US are linked or im gonna be seriously P****d off.

Sevenfold
Jul 14, 2006, 05:45 PM
On 2006-07-14 15:40, Saner wrote:
they are probably doing this for added security.

pretty excessive decisions just to control cheating.

what they need are GMs, not all these walls.

Pretty excessive cheating in the original PSO as well.

DoubleJG
Jul 14, 2006, 08:15 PM
nooo I wanna play with JPs http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif too bad my PS2 doesn't have a mod chip..

Ryna
Jul 14, 2006, 08:37 PM
There has been no official mention yet of a US/EU server split. We only know that the JPs will be seperated. If PSU turns out to be like Blue Burst, US and EU players will play on the same servers.

DoubleJG
Jul 14, 2006, 08:45 PM
Is it possible to download the JP PSOBB and play on their servers? I'm just curious cuz I wouldn't understand anything being said over there, but ya..do people do that?

Ryna
Jul 14, 2006, 08:54 PM
On 2006-07-14 18:45, DoubleJG3288 wrote:
Is it possible to download the JP PSOBB and play on their servers? I'm just curious cuz I wouldn't understand anything being said over there, but ya..do people do that?

People living outside Japan can download the client and play on the JP servers. A few people on the forum do that.

VAL-0251
Jul 15, 2006, 03:21 AM
On 2006-07-14 15:21, Ether wrote:
Even if you were to do that, wouldnt you need to buy the version you're trying to connect to anyways in order to get a valid serial key?

It's not impossible, but it's very unlikely. That would basically be Sega dreaming up a technical support nightmare. For MMOs, serial codes are used for registering accounts, not installing the software. This is done for a variety of reasons, but many of them are self-evident so I won't elaborate unless asked.

The short form of it is that regional codes would invite disaster on multiple levels by making the CD-keys--a security measure that relies on being simple and straightforward to the implimenters--needlessly complicated.

If I were a gambling man, I wouldn't take the bet that Sega will make purchases regional like that if you gave me 100:1 odds.

I spoke at length about the technical, social, and legal risks of linking servers a while back. You're simply seeing that what I was talking about had some substance; Sony's released a technical reason as their chief reason, and it was one of about four that I touched on. I won't say I told you so, but I will say I did warn you guys.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VAL-0251 on 2006-07-15 01:24 ]</font>

EGO-BOT
Jul 15, 2006, 07:55 AM
I wish they would have the servers linked just like PSO (apart from Blue burst). Choose EU, US or JP server to play on when you start and let you jump to another server whenever you want.

PrinceBrightstar
Jul 16, 2006, 12:08 PM
well lets not forget that things sometimes need to be separated. I mean look at PSOBB China.

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 17, 2006, 02:58 AM
What's wrong with PSOBB in China?

Well I at least hope I can still type in Japanese on the US version, unlike...well, every US game I've ever played. I'd rather not be forced to practice the language outside gaming, ya know?

AeraLure
Jul 17, 2006, 09:00 AM
Noooo! This thread did not make my day. Connectivity for the US game to the JP servers was really important to me. There's nothing quite like an international community and the ability to move around, play with, and chat with people from all over in the course of gaming that gave PSO that added little something extra. I had many friends in Japan I played with and it was some of my favorite times in gaming. I dont even speak Japanese all that much. Its also important for the community, thinking mostly here about the EU, as their server population is generally the smallest. I enjoyed going over there as well.

Truly a bummer. Guess its a no brainer that the Word Select will not be in PSU either, since that facilitated to some extent communication in a pinch (better simply to arm yourself with 10-20 common Japanese phrases though). Truth be told the WS was hours of fun even among those who each spoke the same language. Loved that thing.

Here's to hoping that VAL-0251's speculation about a .cfg file modification will allow us the ability to be PSU refugees. I may now even opt to research how to set the JP version of the game up on my PC (no clue how to do that - partition an area with a JP version of XP on it?). Sigh.

-memoru-
Jul 17, 2006, 12:24 PM
Aww, maybe they'll put up an int'l server last minute. xD

Kazzi
Jul 17, 2006, 01:49 PM
If your from the UK why on earth do you write it U.K when you write US as US? O_o;

The EU servers and the US servers have always been linked in the past to allow the UK English players to play with the US english players. You can always import it if they arnt.

Carlo210
Jul 17, 2006, 01:55 PM
Because he wants to?

Saner
Jul 17, 2006, 02:33 PM
so BB was separate?????

why would they do that?

Kasuke
Jul 17, 2006, 02:52 PM
If worse comes to worse, you can always import three diffrent versions of the game.
I played in the JP server once, haha, that was crazy. But I rather like the EU servers. I live in the U.S. by the way.

MoonSblaise
Jul 17, 2006, 02:53 PM
Mmm are you pretty positive that EU can jus buy and play the game, imported from the US before its even released in the EU without any modifications?

Tystys
Jul 17, 2006, 03:09 PM
Oh phew...Ryna just...semi confirmed the possibility of still having EU players being able to play with US players....

I was about to slice someone's head off, too, I have a lot of buddies in the UK.

VAL-0251
Jul 17, 2006, 03:41 PM
On 2006-07-17 12:33, Saner wrote:
so BB was separate?????

why would they do that?
Now you're just trolling, what with how many times I've reinterated all the reasons for doing something like that.

Kasuke
Jul 17, 2006, 03:47 PM
Does SoA have reasons for seperating region servers?

Saner
Jul 17, 2006, 03:49 PM
On 2006-07-17 13:41, VAL-0251 wrote:

On 2006-07-17 12:33, Saner wrote:
so BB was separate?????

why would they do that?
Now you're just trolling, what with how many times I've reinterated all the reasons for doing something like that.

whoops I havent noticed your posts that explained that. your posts don't seem to stand out for some reason. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

VAL-0251
Jul 17, 2006, 03:53 PM
On 2006-07-17 13:49, Saner wrote:
whoops I havent noticed your posts that explained that. your posts don't seem to stand out for some reason. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Put down the Jolt sometime.

mechatra
Jul 18, 2006, 12:32 PM
On 2006-07-17 12:53, MoonSblaise wrote:
Mmm are you pretty positive that EU can jus buy and play the game, imported from the US before its even released in the EU without any modifications?

Depends whether you're gonna be using the Ps2 or PC version.
PC version, yeah no problem.

HOWEVER

To play the US or JP version on a UK PAL Ps2 you're gonna have to mod your Ps2 in some way, also you're TV really needs to be able to display NTSC video.

For example I have a Korean Ps2, simply because it plays JP games yet uses the UK power voltage.

MoonSblaise
Jul 18, 2006, 03:13 PM
Ah awesome, i was on about PC anyway so not a problem there http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif jus got scared when some guy was talking about .cfg modifications and all this computer geek stuff lol, cheers!

tank1
Jul 18, 2006, 03:21 PM
Dont worry MoonSblaise if the worse should happen ill get hold of phil or my uncle they understand all that stuff XD

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 18, 2006, 03:25 PM
I'm dissappointed that Japanese and American servers are separate. I mean, I know there are some Japanese who can speak English and maybe, a few people like me who can also speak Japanese.

MoonSblaise
Jul 21, 2006, 04:05 PM
Mehehehe cheers Ryan http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

VAL-0251
Jul 21, 2006, 05:46 PM
On 2006-07-18 13:25, Shiroryuu wrote:
I'm dissappointed that Japanese and American servers are separate. I mean, I know there are some Japanese who can speak English and maybe, a few people like me who can also speak Japanese.

As I mentioned once already in this topic, connecting to another region's servers will not be out of the question. If you'd like to go over there, it's very unlikely that it will be an ordeal to do so.

Though as someone who can also speak Japanese, I, for one, am glad I won't have to deal with them.

Emrald
Jul 22, 2006, 12:40 PM
I hope that EU and US will be joined togather...That way more people will be on when i'm on early in the morning.....The more friends I can make the happier I'll be....Plus I made a promise with most of my PSOBB friends we'd all play PSU togather...and most of them are in EU