PDA

View Full Version : How do you think this francise will continue to get new cont

ShinMaruku
Jul 15, 2006, 01:10 AM
Through little increments, various expansions ala PSO Ver2 and Ep I&II, through sequels?
I think a mixture of the there although I'd like to see it done competently

Inazuma
Jul 15, 2006, 01:26 AM
i see them releasing an expansion disc in the future. prob adding an entire new planet w/ it.

ShinMaruku
Jul 15, 2006, 01:29 AM
The best thing would for them to add meaingful content while doing it slwoly but I just don't have much faith in them to do that.

SandstormX
Jul 15, 2006, 01:31 AM
Wasn't it Phantasy star 4 that had the 4 planets? I remember something about a planet being hidden in the shadows or something like that.

zandra117
Jul 15, 2006, 01:37 AM
Motavia = Moatoob
Palma = Parum
Dezolis = Neudaiz (the Neu is only there to signify its the newman planet)
Ryucros = Ragol

Maybe Ragol will appear in the Gurhal system for a special event lol.

The-King
Jul 15, 2006, 01:51 AM
That'd be cool if Ragol was on there, we could see enhanced Boomas and Dimenians

Saner
Jul 15, 2006, 02:06 AM
No, PSU is not related to PSO or its planet, Ragol. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Nuclearranger
Jul 15, 2006, 02:09 AM
XD i dont think we will see anything from PSO in PSU besides a few little things here and there mebe

-Klaus-
Jul 15, 2006, 02:11 AM
There were Rag Rappies.

Saner
Jul 15, 2006, 02:11 AM
but expecting new content is rather pointless until you have done and obtained 100% of everything online offers.

and even then, new content really isn't needed to keep having fun, ya know? this game is already much much bigger and better than PSO games were.

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 15, 2006, 02:17 AM
On 2006-07-15 00:11, Saner wrote:
but expecting new content is rather pointless until you have done and obtained 100% of everything online offers.

What if some folks skipped some of that online content because it wasn't very desirable to do? And, wouldn't it be desirable to have new content before you're even done anyway so that you have more to look forward to with your high-level character, especially if you're about 98% complete and you're only about halfway to the level cap?

Kyuu
Jul 15, 2006, 02:20 AM
On 2006-07-15 00:17, Jife_Jifremok wrote:

What if some folks skipped some of that online content because it wasn't very desirable to do? And, wouldn't it be desirable to have new content before you're even done anyway so that you have more to look forward to with your high-level character, especially if you're about 98% complete and you're only about halfway to the level cap?

Not entirely. Releasing new content too soon causes many players to skip content they might have otherwise done in order to get to the new content (which, generally, has better rewards than old content).

Anyways, the answer to the OP's questions is: Nobody knows. It seems a little premature to worry too much about how "new" content is going to be released when the game isn't even released yet.

Pure-chan
Jul 15, 2006, 04:35 AM
If PSU is in keeping with PSO's sensibilities, chances are that all of the unlockable content will be present on the disc itself from the start, then made available with updates to the server. This will allow ST to send patches that only focus on security, saving on space for the PS2 version. As such; I agree with Inazuma's post. I would expect to see an expansion disc for genuine content updates.

A2K
Jul 15, 2006, 07:20 AM
I can't really fathom a planet being added. I mean, the Graal/Gurhal/GURRKSJFSLDFJ system is pretty set as it is. It wouldn't make much sense for another planet to just magically appear, unless it was in another system entirely. But then you'd have to make up a reason why anyone from Graal would want to go there...

Maybe a space station or sophisticated VR field of some sort? The space station would have to differentiate itself from Guardian's Colony somehow, of course. Maybe something more... industrial... or maybe something ancient and abandoned?

Pheromone
Jul 15, 2006, 07:20 AM
On 2006-07-14 23:26, Inazuma wrote:
i see them releasing an expansion disc in the future. prob adding an entire new planet w/ it.

and the expansion disc for PS2 would have everything fromt he original game AND the extra content??? from the pc system specs... it already seems the disc is filled to the brim...

Earthsunderer
Jul 15, 2006, 08:27 AM
On 2006-07-15 05:20, A2K wrote:
I can't really fathom a planet being added. I mean, the Graal/Gurhal/GURRKSJFSLDFJ system is pretty set as it is. It wouldn't make much sense for another planet to just magically appear, unless it was in another system entirely. But then you'd have to make up a reason why anyone from Graal would want to go there...
Well, in Phatasy Star IV, the hidden planet Ryucros was undetectable from normal and technical means and could only be seen thanks to an ancient hidden articaft, the sky-prism or something like that.

There was an ancient civilisation in the Gurhal-system, wasn't there? Perhaps, you need some fancy ancient artifact to 'unlock' or detect this totally hidden world, which only comes near the other three worlds all one thousand years... Which coincidently happens to be the time our characters will be playing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

It was so in Phantasy Star IV. Good game, by the way.

Ryudo
Jul 15, 2006, 10:02 AM
I'm pretty sure there IS a shadowy hidden planet in PSU where the SEED is coming from

Sinue_v2
Jul 15, 2006, 10:12 AM
It was the Aero-Prism which revealed the location of Ryukros.

I'd eventually like to see them expand the "Universe" - but how that expansion unfolds, I'd like to wait until I know PSU's storyline to speculate a good way of adding it.

As for new content - the inability to download new content to the PS2 cuts it off from downloadable updates. Everything is currently on the disk, and will be unlocked serverside via patches to the server - as others have said. The PC and X360 versions -MAY- end up getting downloadable content in a simutanious release with an expansion or "v2" type disk for all the platforms... (like what FFXI did w/ it's expansions) but I don't see Sega passing up a chance to sell us the same game multiple times like they did with PSO.

If PSU switches gears to a downloadable content update - then I don't see it happening until the PS3 is launched at the very least.

mitchm
Jul 15, 2006, 10:50 AM
thats what i like about LIVE... no extra discs needed for new content. just download and save it to the HDD. i hope its like Elder Scrolls Oblivion. i have like 5 or 6 new quests already and they were fairly cheap to dl (like 150msp or roughly 2.50USD).

Para
Jul 15, 2006, 02:09 PM
Would be nice if they don't do anything with the PS2 version that they make an expansion for PC players.

DizzyDi
Jul 15, 2006, 02:15 PM
An expansion JUST for PC players? and leave all your linked PS2 buddies out of the loop, right?
A

Saner
Jul 15, 2006, 03:45 PM
On 2006-07-15 12:09, Nites wrote:
Would be nice if they don't do anything with the PS2 version that they make an expansion for PC players.

hey that's rather selfish.

SirenV
Jul 15, 2006, 04:14 PM
I could see them pulling something like "Ryucross"... for the fact that they've already emulated Algo so much already. Similar "players", same planets basically (even down to the Motavia/Moatoob being desert planets and all that junk). Anyway...

Who knows, maybe they could have a moon, or something, instead of an extra planet? I'm not sure how another space station would work, but either way... planet, space station.. fundamentally they'll be pretty much the same. The fact remains however that if they want to keep the game fresh and people playing after awhile they're going to have to add something new to do >>.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SirenV on 2006-07-15 14:16 ]</font>

Earthsunderer
Jul 15, 2006, 06:22 PM
Then again, the Guardian Colony could be the PSU-Equivalent to Ryucross. It is after all the home of the Protectors of Gurhal, in the same way as Ryucross was the planet that chose the protectors of Algo and assigned them the task to eradicate Dark Force.

Saner
Jul 15, 2006, 06:25 PM
I can't believe some actually expect/think they will add a new planet/satellite in the future.

if anything, the only possibly for a '4th planet' would be if SEED has a homeworld not mentioned yet.

as it stands, PSU is lucky to even have 3 planets and 1 colony. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Earthsunderer
Jul 15, 2006, 06:55 PM
Well, who did guess that the fourth planet Ryucros even existed when he played Phantasy Star IV?

Who's not to say that in four or five years, they'll release a new planet on a new expansion disc/DVD for the PS 2 version of PSU, and let it download directly for PC and X-Box 360? That is of course, only if such a thing hasn't been already implemented on the game as hidden content. It's quite doubtfull, but it's possible.

It's not like these things are impossible to make. It's whatever suits the developers best in mind.

Saner
Jul 15, 2006, 07:19 PM
naturally, but really, adding more areas in the existing planets,
would take priority over a whole new planet.

Wewt
Jul 15, 2006, 08:39 PM
I don't like the fact that this game is on the PS2 at all. The PS2 will hold this game back for sure. Updates on memory card is just.. ugh.

DizzyDi
Jul 15, 2006, 08:44 PM
On 2006-07-15 18:39, Wewt wrote:
I don't like the fact that this game is on the PS2 at all. The PS2 will hold this game back for sure. Updates on memory card is just.. ugh.

Its not gunna be updates via memory card. Its gunna be unlocking content on the disk via patches to the server.

Wewt
Jul 15, 2006, 08:48 PM
Fine. It still doesn't change the fact that this game will be bottlenecked by the PS2.

DizzyDi
Jul 15, 2006, 08:51 PM
On 2006-07-15 18:48, Wewt wrote:
Fine. It still doesn't change the fact that this game will be bottlenecked by the PS2.

yeah, theres a whole topic dedicated to that and there have been many points and counterpoints about how the PS2 ISN'T bottlenecking the game.

Wewt
Jul 15, 2006, 08:54 PM
There is? Where?

DizzyDi
Jul 15, 2006, 08:55 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=115125&forum=20&max_posts=240

Enjoy.

Wewt
Jul 15, 2006, 09:08 PM
That topic is mostly anti-PS2/MS/Xbox360 so far >_>

still reading

Carlo210
Jul 15, 2006, 10:48 PM
PSU v2 better be next-gen platform oriented. I can somewhat accept that PSUv1 is a past-gen ps2 game.

PrinceBrightstar
Jul 16, 2006, 12:14 PM
I'm still hoping or Lassic to show up again after drifting in space for years. (he is immortal remember, destroyed body or no destroyed body)

Sinue_v2
Jul 16, 2006, 01:30 PM
Lassic is sustained in his lich-like state by the Profound Darkness's power. Once Chaz defeated the Profound Darkness with the Elysion - that sustinance was severed from him.

That is.. if you believe the PD to be completely destroyed. It's possible that while the being known as the PD was destroyed - the energies and conciousnesses which gave rise to him are still around, further sustaining Lassic. How do you truely defeat evil? From Rico's own words "Light
makes darkness, a pair exists, but it doesn't always exist. Reincarnation goes forever. The rule is here."

Mitri
Jul 16, 2006, 02:42 PM
the ps2 has a hdd also like the 360 and the pc. not too many people have it but it is there. they could also add support for usb products. the ps2 could use that to hold the big updates. like the planets and whatnot everyone is talking about. instead of releasing a whole new 20usd disc. or they could just release the disc for the ppeople without usb hdd or sticks. or whatever.

Carlo210
Jul 16, 2006, 02:46 PM
Barely anyone has a ps2 HDD. If anyone has it, it's to play FFXI.
ST has to make the updates available for 8mb memory cards. Done deal.

Anywho, if there is any update too big to fit on the 8mb videocard, I hope they just don't release it on the ps2 or scale it down somehow. I don't want pc and 360 users to have PSU further limited by PS2's capabilities.

physic
Jul 16, 2006, 03:43 PM
expansion discs wont work welll with ps2, because it will always need everything to run on one disc, you cant simply change discs on the fly, one disc must have the whole game

Kasuke
Jul 16, 2006, 07:09 PM
I read they'd have locked content on the PSU disc. They p[ush a button and bam, we got new stuff.

Kasuke
Jul 16, 2006, 07:11 PM
Sinue, those aren't Rico's words. They were written on ancient monuments.

Ether
Jul 16, 2006, 07:31 PM
First off, an expanion disc would not have to include all of the offline mode content, which is where the majority of the games file size is coming from, cut scenes and voice acting.

Secondly, dont expect an expansion for PS2, the system is simply too old, even moreso in a year or so when its time to release an expansion. The characters are saved online, so a PS3 version should have your characters waiting for you once you update anyways

Kasuke
Jul 16, 2006, 08:29 PM
yea, but who's going to shell out that much for a PS3? The problem with that is, the PS2 version and the PS3 version wouldn't be on the same servers, meaning people are going to have to buy a new system.

Personally, I say get the X-box 360 version now and save yourself the trouble.

Zinsian
Jul 16, 2006, 10:00 PM
I dont wanna break away from the traditional PSO games but, removing the whole create team server situation and just make several stable servers.

Tystys
Jul 16, 2006, 10:02 PM
They're probably just going to do it the same way they've been doing it for years....release a new game disc.

Ryudo
Jul 16, 2006, 10:18 PM
On 2006-07-16 17:31, Ether wrote:
First off, an expanion disc would not have to include all of the offline mode content, which is where the majority of the games file size is coming from, cut scenes and voice acting.

Secondly, dont expect an expansion for PS2, the system is simply too old, even moreso in a year or so when its time to release an expansion. The characters are saved online, so a PS3 version should have your characters waiting for you once you update anyways

Because they'll stop making games for ps2 the second ps3 is out? just like they stopped releasing games for ps1 the minute ps2 came out? (Last ps1 game was released in 2003)

The ps2 will be going for a while yet =P

Carlo210
Jul 16, 2006, 10:20 PM
So you think ST will let the ps2 limit PSUv2?
PSU fans on pc and 360, as well as ps3: Yippe! A pre-gen game halfway through the current-gen! /sarcasm

Mitri
Jul 16, 2006, 10:36 PM
i have to disagree with the people disaproving of the ps2 updates. it doesn't have to fit on a 8mb memory card. it can support the few people with the hdd(the hdd isn't just for ffxi. its for any game that supports it. syphon filter supports it) and it can support a usb memory system if ST sets it in the game. there are a couple games out there that support usb storage(they aren't very common games. and they weren't the most popular. but they are there) if i'm not mistaken.

they shouldn't wait until the ps3 comes out to release updates because then that will separate the ps2, ps3, and pc players because only ps3 and pc players will be able to do everything while ps2 has to sit back and decay(like psox). that wouldn't be good for business.

the ps2 still has juice in it. everyone that stopped supporting the ps1 have regretted it because the ps1 sold well until about 2004. they stopped production of it in 2005. ea and activision have devoted support for the ps2 until 2010.

Sinue_v2
Jul 16, 2006, 10:39 PM
Sinue, those aren't Rico's words. They were written on ancient monuments.

They were her words. Her translation of the text on the monuments. You don't actually read the monument - you listen to Rico explain what she believes it says.

A similar line was also stated in either some of the early PSO promo videos or interviews - though I can't find any atm on YouTube. You cannot have light without the darkness. As long as there is one, there will be the other. Or something like that.

Which raises an interesting point... wouldn't it be interesting if, instead of making the Profound Darkness/Dark Falz the enemy in PSU or later PS games - they made the Great Light the enemy. Tohru Yoshida has already made comments in the Phantasy Star compenidum that it was a direction they were considering for PSV- but he's no longer a part of the Phantasy Star team.

ShinMaruku
Jul 17, 2006, 01:51 AM
On 2006-07-15 19:08, Wewt wrote:
That topic is mostly anti-PS2/MS/Xbox360 so far >_>

still reading

Your faith in others is astounding.
If you guys though downlaod updates were in the wings, this is exactly why they made it PS2! So they cna be lazy, then shank you.

Saner
Jul 17, 2006, 02:37 PM
next gen activists need to look at the big picture.

instead of expeting new games to be visually comparable with other new games, they should just enjoy it for what it is. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

PSU already looks beautiful, it doesn't need Kameo graphics or be exclusively released to next-gen consoles.

PS2 is still going strong, and it will be a long time before PS3 can reach PS2's level of game selection and success.

ShinMaruku
Jul 18, 2006, 01:09 AM
You should not put too much faith in others, they can't see that far.

Garroway
Jul 18, 2006, 11:05 AM
I dont see any reason for PSU to break from the expansion disk solution that most games use. Figure the expansion disk might include new races and a new area or class, new enemies and new scenery. Most of the work is being done by the server, your system is realy just in charge of sending your input to the server and providing a visual display to the data sent by the server. I really think that you would only see problems with the PS2 if there was too much data coming in for it to process. I guess if you want a game that pushes the next gen consol to their absolute limit, so much so that a 'lesser' system like the PS2 just couldn't handle it, then you probably shouldn't be playing this game.

ShinMaruku
Jul 18, 2006, 11:14 AM
The Expansion disk is also far more profitable for them.

Sinue_v2
Jul 18, 2006, 11:46 AM
I dont see any reason for PSU to break from the expansion disk solution that most games use.

The problem with expansion disks and PSU - is that there's no way to incorperate the exansion data into the original data on the PS2. They'd need to bundle the two together into a (semi) new game such as they did with Ep I & II on the NGC. The problem there is, most expansions don't contain enough content to warrant full game price. Those seeking to upgrade content on PSU would have to buy the original game all over again at full market price just to get a few upgrades which would otherwise cost $20 - $30.

Cruisectrl
Jul 18, 2006, 12:04 PM
Dont worry about the game not lasting long enough. PSO was barely a chunk as long as PSU will be and I dont remember anyone ever completing every quest and achieving everything

ShinMaruku
Jul 18, 2006, 12:06 PM
They are probly gonna just make an "enhanced" version then put on the PS3 and others.