PDA

View Full Version : Devide Servers by age?

K-Morfos
Jul 17, 2006, 10:57 AM
I'm thinking that they should devide servers among age. Those under 13 get one server while those 13 and over get the other. It would solve many issues involving censorship. Also, it would prevent older players from feeling like they are surrouned by little kids and therefor must play a more "mature" game. What do you think of that idea?

The names of the servers would be:

General Server (13<)

Protected Server (<13)

PS: If parents of 14-17 year olds are extra protective, they can put them on the <13 server.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: K-Morfos on 2006-07-17 09:00 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: K-Morfos on 2006-07-17 09:04 ]</font>

CherryLunar
Jul 17, 2006, 11:15 AM
Honestly, again, I don't see why it matters.

Throw the "wolves" and the "sheep" together.

Sinue_v2
Jul 17, 2006, 11:16 AM
I have no problems playing with gamers of any age - so long as they play the game well.

I don't get online to fill a niche in my social life, find a date, or any of that. I get online to play a game - and the only thing I care about is my team doing a good job.

BTW: Just like PSO - the game will probably get a "T" rating - which should disallow players 13 and under from getting online. Players under 13 will inevitably get online anyhow - but for Sega to create a special "Pre-Teen" server might cause problems with the ESRB.

Nisshoku
Jul 17, 2006, 11:17 AM
Umm, that wouldn't work. Phantasy Star Universe is rated T for Teen by the ESRB. If you're under 13, then you shouldn't be buying this game. I know it means jack squat to most of you, but considering that we have 10-year ols buying GTA, we've got to be a bit stricter.

Rubesahl
Jul 17, 2006, 12:10 PM
Naw, I don't mind playing with people younger than me really. I'm not the type to pick on anyone http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif And wouldn't have liked being separated from other people 8 years ago when I was under 13 lol. Though sometimes kids ARE annoying spoiled brats who deserve a good lesson on manners, I've noticed the same over 18 idiots are just grown up versions of the same annoying kids >_> so there's not much difference to me.

And yes I think Age restriction should be more enforced, though I do not think PSU is really a type of game that would really affect a kid below 13, there are other games which should not be played by kids http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Besides GTA there are also war FPS games which are too damn realistic and mainly serve for military propaganda http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rubesahl on 2006-07-17 10:12 ]</font>

MAGNUShunter
Jul 17, 2006, 12:12 PM
I personaly think it would be worth a try. No one has done anything like that before that I know of. I would be willing to try it before knocking it. (Although those UNDER 13 would be the ones really complaining.)
Asside from the cheating of PSO, I just remember how all those KIDS

-memoru-
Jul 17, 2006, 12:18 PM
I think all ages should be together, i've met a lot of people who were younger who have common sense. And me myself sometimes act like a 12 year old. xD

RoboKy
Jul 17, 2006, 12:30 PM
You can tell who's younger sometimes, for example if their messages/actions are like: Want 2 cyber? *opens trade window and fills with random junk* How du I gt a hous/pet? Can u halp me kill tha boss/finish mission? I give u 100 meseta.

Ok, ok all funny mmorpg experiences aside, you can't really tell the difference between a "Gifted" program kid and an "adult" (someone >18) with a regular chat until after you cyber with them and find out what they like. Besides, it'd be a waste of good server just for children to play, when adults can be third rate players also. Just do some psycho analysis of the 5 other people your going to bring into the party with you and if you find that they're a dedicated player you've got a good team, but you have to hurry before they're all taken by "girlS" charcters (Guys in real life S).

Ok, ok seriously, if someone is bad in a party, kick them after the next mission or put them on a black list and don't play with them.

DraginHikari
Jul 17, 2006, 12:58 PM
There's no point in seperating ages groups just to avoid problems, PSU already has enough features so you don't have deal with people you don't want to anyway.

Saner
Jul 17, 2006, 01:02 PM
this wouldn't stop children from playing in the older age servers.

a truly ridiculous idea making servers for different ages.
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

I know kids who are even more mature than some adults. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Rubesahl
Jul 17, 2006, 01:26 PM
Not really ridiculous, more like unecessary. Still the fact of maybe being able to meet people of your age is nice? In fact, I know remember PSO had a player search system in which you could put age. That feature was pretty much unused by most players XD

Kyuu
Jul 17, 2006, 01:41 PM
Impossible to implement, because there's no way for Sega to know how hold each person is, other than by asking, and obviously most would probably put themselves as older to get on the "adult" servers.

Secondly, dividing by age is ludicrous. Age is not a good indicator of maturity level. There are many adults who are more annoying and less mature than some kids I know.

Blitzkommando
Jul 17, 2006, 01:54 PM
Eh, usually it works out where all of the youngins go to one set of servers that become horribly overpopulated while the older and more mature crowd goes to other less populated servers. I see no reason to do otherwise.

Kasuke
Jul 17, 2006, 02:22 PM
I played Perfect Dark (an 'R' rated game) for the N64, I couldn't have been much older than 10. I was probably like 7.

It's possible by keeping these servers together, maybe a younger person would see the older ones as role models and follow their behavior. Assuming it's good, it's probably better like this.

Besides, you can always black list annoying people.

Saner
Jul 17, 2006, 02:24 PM
On 2006-07-17 12:22, Kasuke wrote:

Besides, you can always black list annoying people.

ya black list solves everything pretty much.

no need for separate servers, since they already are separate region-wise and possibly systems too.

Sevenfold
Jul 17, 2006, 04:29 PM
If they were going to do something like that, I think it would be better optioned to the party leader. For example, when (whoever) purchases the game, they should have their age accounted for. That way it follows their toon. So with that, anytime they want to join or create a game, there should be an option for the party leader to have it 18+ or whatever.

Perosnally I dont think they need age anything becasue you can already kick people from your party, BUT, if they were, that would be my cup of tea.

Pheromone
Jul 17, 2006, 04:38 PM
an absolutely insulting idea. Shame on you for even thinking to discriminate based on age... it has been IMPOSSIBLE for me to find an RPG group in my area as I am only 17. eh... groups fill up quickly.

Kasuke
Jul 17, 2006, 04:40 PM
You shouldn't judge people by age, but my maturity. Like I said earlier, you don't like their attitude, black list 'em.

RoboKy
Jul 17, 2006, 05:21 PM
If they're as immature as you say or whatever they could have the same attitude towards a 18 or older site and click yes, I am 18 or older and get to the action.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 17, 2006, 05:26 PM
I think its a great idea to have servers for <13 and >13, I don't like playing with 10-year olds who might steal stuff that was intended for someone else. maybe the cuttoff should be 14 or 15 though, thats when they are in high school, IMO middle school students are the worse.

PhotonCat
Jul 17, 2006, 06:27 PM
Why do some people think that "all" kids are immature and "all" adults are mature? That's just wrong.

I've known kids who had more manners and maturity than 30 year old guys. Even know that sounds sad, it's what happens.

And "separating" isn't gonna do anything because kids will always find a way to go on the "Adult" servers and vice-versa.

Jaske
Jul 17, 2006, 06:50 PM
Wow terrible subject to get into. I mean everyone is different at every age, just because of statistically age group A is less mature than age group B still dosn't mean that all of them are like that. Anyway for the whole manners/item thing imo it's all about values/mentallity. A 10 year old who's good a sharing and understanding would prolly not be selfful item whore where as a greed driven 30 year old who dosn't care would just go run around and take whatever they can. Lol sounds a bit corney but hey that's just my expierence from MMO's, it's all about personallity.

Garroway
Jul 17, 2006, 07:13 PM
Everyone hates annoying brats but saddly the category knows no age bracket.

RoboKy
Jul 17, 2006, 07:15 PM
Heh, I guess don't talk polictics and religion at parties. I'm against the server divide, but I guess the sever slice would be good to protect kids from scammers or nasty prank jokes like the time this guy in guild wars found out that this woman in his guild was sharing her account with her child who would occasionally player her character. When the kid asked how to get ascended, the guy told him to look for the butseks, who could send him to the desert to get ascended. He told him to shout in district 1 of ascalon. The kid then shouted, to the amusement of the guild, for people to help him find butseks.

I think the kids should learn from exp with adults.

Sevenfold
Jul 17, 2006, 07:19 PM
On 2006-07-17 14:38, Pheromone wrote:
an absolutely insulting idea. Shame on you for even thinking to discriminate based on age... it has been IMPOSSIBLE for me to find an RPG group in my area as I am only 17. eh... groups fill up quickly.

Re-read what I posted, THEN think about what you said.

Saner
Jul 17, 2006, 07:39 PM
On 2006-07-17 16:27, PhotonCat wrote:
Why do some people think that "all" kids are immature and "all" adults are mature? That's just wrong.

I've known kids who had more manners and maturity than 30 year old guys. Even know that sounds sad, it's what happens.

And "separating" isn't gonna do anything because kids will always find a way to go on the "Adult" servers and vice-versa.

that's true. not only that, I think this debate is truly about the topic creator's zero tolerance of children in the subject of headset/voice chat.

When I'm using X360 I see that often a lot. the host hates kids voices and boots them if he hears them.

so it's not so much about maturity as much as it is for some people's voice chatting tolerances or something like that.

anyways if that's the case:

keyboard: 1. headset: 0. hooray! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

-Klaus-
Jul 17, 2006, 07:45 PM
I don't think it's a good idea just to steriotype and automatically think the younger age group's the cause of the problem. Like people have said before, some children are really not that bad. Believe me, I've met adults who act like complete jackasses. There's really no way to fix the problem, it has to do more with personality if anything.

Shivore
Jul 17, 2006, 07:53 PM
Many 12 year olds act like 25, 30 year old online and many 30 year olds act like 8 year olds online. I don't think you would see any real difference if it was divided.

Sev
Jul 17, 2006, 11:02 PM
I was much more mature at 13 then I am now. So much for "Growing up" and all that. You really won't know anyones age until you ask them, it's the same as the people who believe that only girls should use girl characters. You'd never know until you prompted for an age or a gender really.

Sinue_v2
Jul 17, 2006, 11:34 PM
Even then, when asking about age or gender, you'll usually get lied to.

Sev
Jul 17, 2006, 11:48 PM
That's why I take very little at face value my friend. People lie, it's part of life.

Still, the chances of that vary. Some people have no reason to lie.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sev on 2006-07-17 21:49 ]</font>

DraginHikari
Jul 18, 2006, 04:48 AM
On top of that asking someone to display there age for hte sake of seperating servers would case alot of privacy issues other then for the purpose of making a payment. I don't personally think letting Minors be displayed on a seperate server wouldn't be all that safe anyway.

K-Morfos
Jul 18, 2006, 05:43 AM
The problems with all ages playing together include:

1) Extreme censorship. Words like damn, turd, , idiot, would be censored. If we made 2 seperate servers, one protected for those under 13 as well as teen players growing up in evangelical Christian families, this would not be a problem.

2) For those of us who do want to socialize, shouldn't we be able too? Its kinda hard if 2/3 of the players are 10-13.

3) If the majority of sales are to those 9-13, it'll give PSU a reputation of being a "kiddie game". If this is the case, sales amongst older gamers (16+) will not even buy the game.

4) PSO 1 had online relationships (boyfriends and girlfriends). With people lying about their age, a 12 year old might say she was 18, while an 18 year old would fall in love with her. If this happened, that 18 year old could end up landing in prison for "seducing children". If we seperated the servers, the chances of this would drop.

5) As mentioned before, being surrounded by those who lack maturity would ruin the PSU experience.

Sinue_v2
Jul 18, 2006, 09:23 AM
Extreme censorship. Words like damn, turd, , idiot, would be censored.

It's not that annoying, and even so, simple toggles on the profanity filters for parental control could solve that problem. It wouldn't be that hard to impliment if Sega wanted to.

For those of us who do want to socialize, shouldn't we be able too? Its kinda hard if 2/3 of the players are 10-13.

I highly doubt that 2/3's of the userbase will be under 13. Even so, I see no problem socializing - as the decision to chat with someone will be made on a person by person basis. Keep the Partner Cards of the people you want to continue socializing with - and discard those who don't.

If the majority of sales are to those 9-13, it'll give PSU a reputation of being a "kiddie game". If this is the case, sales amongst older gamers (16+) will not even buy the game.

You've got to be kidding.... right?

PSO 1 had online relationships (boyfriends and girlfriends). With people lying about their age, a 12 year old might say she was 18, while an 18 year old would fall in love with her. If this happened, that 18 year old could end up landing in prison for "seducing children". If we seperated the servers, the chances of this would drop.

No, it wouldn't. PSU isn't limited to those 18+ and under. If a 23 year old guy were to "fall in love" with a 15 year old girl (or guy pretending to be a girl) on the "Mature" servers - how would that be any different? It's against the law either way. Not to mention that there wouldn't be any real way of enforcing the segregation because; survey says - people lie.

As mentioned before, being surrounded by those who lack maturity would ruin the PSU experience.

You must be new to the internet right? Head back to the entrance and get in line for the orientation tour.

--------

You know... while we're at it, lets take this segregation bit a little further. I've met quite a few 40 - 50+ players in my time on PSO. I'm sure they don't appreceate being annoyed and harassed by those damned tweenies and know-it-all 30 something kids. Lets make a seperate senior citizens server so that older gamers can enjoy the game with people who are on the same wavelength as them.

Oh.. and lets segregate servers by gender too. I mean, that would clear up nearly all the problems of "GIRLs" pretending to be female to get attention and items. It would also give female players a safe-haven to play in peace away from all the under-sexed losers asking "IF TEY HOT IRL?!? SND PIXXXX 911!!111"

And of course we're going to have to segregate servers based on race... for obvious reasons. Sega's made a good start by apperantly seperating the JP, US, and UK servers. Of course - that's just for logistical reasons. We need to further segregate the servers within specific regieons so that White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, ect people can get away to without having to endour the slings and arrows of racist idiots in the lobbys screaming hate propogana.

Oh... and don't forget about seperate servers for the different religeons. I don't wanna get lobby FSOD'd by some crazy muslim extemeist. And I certainly don't want to have to filthy my hands by playing with atheists and non-belivers. Jesus is my Guild Leader son.

Ah... wouldn't it be nice if Sega gave us all our own private space so that we wouldn't have to go out and do the work of finding our own friends? We could just log into safe secure servers with like-minded people and never have to deal with the "unwashed" masses ever again.

Wait a second.....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-07-18 07:27 ]</font>

Abaru-FP
Jul 18, 2006, 09:57 AM
It wouldn't work. Anyone with a brain wouldn't condemn themselves to a 13 and below server. Seriously, sounds like the 10th level of internet hell to me.

kassy
Jul 18, 2006, 10:02 AM
I've met 30 year old who are more immature than 13 year olds I've played with on PSO.

Age means nothing when it comes to "annoying" people on the internet, the game is rated teen, so no under 13's anyways. Legally you're not allowed collect any personal information of anyone under 13 on the internet. You'll also notice that any message board/discussion site does not allow anyone under the age of 13 to register, PSU will be no different, you probably clicked a “I am over 13 years of age” option when registering for the PSO-world forums.

Censorship will not be a big deal anyways, people will find another way of bypassing with use of spaces/dots/commas/alternative spellings etc. if you’re a swear junky it's not like the filter will stop you. Really, having a word blocked out isn’t going to make my experience any less fun.

NightHour13
Jul 18, 2006, 10:15 AM
Sinue's got a bit of an extremist point, but he's correct. Just deal with it, you guys need to understand that patience is a virtue and idiot little children will be just that.

Like sinue said, some of the older 21-40 players might not like beeing around acne infested - Hormone run amok teenagers who can't keep their pants on. This superiority complex is the damn problem, stop acting like a dang stiff and have a little fun. It's only a game, and if you people intend on getting relationships in here and socializing MORE then you do outside...You fail at the real game.

Russian
Jul 18, 2006, 10:52 AM
As already stated, I doubt this would work. Kids lie about their age all the time online. This game would be no different, and Sega would have no way to really enforce it.

Sinue_v2
Jul 18, 2006, 11:40 AM
I like the extremeist ways of making a point. It's more entertaining IMO.

Commando9
Jul 18, 2006, 05:31 PM
I think seperating servers is a good idea. I hate those kids whose voice is so loud nobody can hear me.http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_argh.gif

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wet-trout.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_ak.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/twak.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bash.gif

Wewt
Jul 18, 2006, 08:05 PM
Try going into a lesbian chatroom and tell me how many lesbians you find.

Phaze37
Jul 19, 2006, 04:55 AM
It's a terrible idea.

Arthur5221
Jul 19, 2006, 07:42 PM
yea id have to admit i have met some young people who were pretty cool and not so annoying to play with. On socom i can say there are tons of older age people i would much LESS want to play with over some of the younger people. Point is though that judging people through age isnt the way to pick out their personality.