PDA

View Full Version : PC or PS2? Hmm...

-memoru-
Jul 17, 2006, 12:35 PM
I'm planning on getting a laptop this month, and my friend is giving me a PS2. I've already Pre-ordered(but not fully paid off), PSU. I was wondering, should i get the PC ver or PS2 ver? I would have to get a router either way, and still buy the ethernet adapter for the PS2; but i can't decide! xD Help please. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Laptop Specs:
80GB
512 Shared RAM
256MB ATI MOBILITYTM RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory graphics card
Intel Core Duo Processor
(I think these are all that matter for playing, i dunno)

Oh yeah, please don't let this turn into a debate about PS2 sucks and blah, i'm just asking for an opinion. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif thank you. ;D

RoboKy
Jul 17, 2006, 12:45 PM
Looks like a good laptop, but I'd prefer a PS2 from my previous experiences with a laptop. I mean laptops are'nt really designed to play games in comparision to a real PC of the same age. They've got less power because obviously they had to make things smaller and portable, and they heat up pretty bad. If that's an alienware laptop I guess I'd be ok. But are'nt laptops also more expensive than a desktop?

Carlo210
Jul 17, 2006, 12:47 PM
PC. Resolution, plus an xbox 360 controller.

Kayai
Jul 17, 2006, 12:48 PM
PC cause of the fact that i like it better

-memoru-
Jul 17, 2006, 02:10 PM
I have a desktop as well, but the Laptop is for my own personal use. ;D

Kasuke
Jul 17, 2006, 02:16 PM
I'd go with the PS2.

But I have a grudge against comps, so, I guess it's up to you.

But like that one guy said, laptops arent really meant for games. If it's the only game on there you should be fine though.

Yea, they are more expensive and often not as powerful as a desktop.

Para
Jul 17, 2006, 02:24 PM
On 2006-07-17 10:47, Carlo210 wrote:

You can use an Xbox 360 controller for PC? o_O

Saner
Jul 17, 2006, 02:27 PM
PS2 is the safest and most comfortable choice. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

plus the game is made with PS2 in mind so it will run and look good no matter what PS2 you have. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

for PC it's more sketchy because hardware could make it look better or worse than it's intended. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Carlo210
Jul 17, 2006, 02:29 PM
On 2006-07-17 12:24, Nites wrote:

On 2006-07-17 10:47, Carlo210 wrote:

You can use an Xbox 360 controller for PC? o_O

Yes, but only a 'wired' one, not a wireless one.

Anywho, go with whatever. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

parabolee
Jul 17, 2006, 02:33 PM
PC version for sure!

It will look a lot nicer than the PS2 with it's awefull anti-aliasing.

Plus the 360 controller is probably the most comfortabkle controller ever created.

Plus you won't have to get a USB keyboard for the PS2 or the broadband adaptor.

Anyone who things the PS2 version will be better is just biased towards it. As long as your laptop is going to run PSU well then it will look a HELL of a lot better (as confirmed by magazines that saw PSU at E3).

Cruisectrl
Jul 17, 2006, 02:33 PM
I agree with Saner because You have to realize that it's very hard to have a computer and avoid viruses. Plus, PSu is an Online game and pretty much any online game will give you a virus somehow. Stay safe and go with PS2. (That way you'll probably avoid lag as well)

parabolee
Jul 17, 2006, 02:36 PM
WTF? Dude it's easy to have a PC and avoid viruses! it's called virus protection software. pluss he's much more likely to get a virus from his normal use of the Laptop than he is to get one from PSU.

I have NEVER EVER heard of someone getting a virus from playing an online game on a PC!

I would bet good money that you will NEVER get a virus from playing PSU!

Saner
Jul 17, 2006, 02:43 PM
its not just viruses,

PCs have countless problems many PC gamers deal with almost all the time.

even they don't realize it but most of the complaints come from PC gamers because their type of hardware demands this and that to satisfy their expectations and 'needs'. the subjects that always come up with PC gaming issues are too much to list.

PhotonCat
Jul 17, 2006, 02:57 PM
You have to realize that it's very hard to have a computer and avoid viruses. Plus, PSu is an Online game and pretty much any online game will give you a virus somehow. Stay safe and go with PS2. (That way you'll probably avoid lag as well)

Um.. No. In my 8 years or so of being on PCs I have NEVER gotten a virus(except for ONE worm that was going around one year, infected a whole bunch of windows PCs, but that rarely happens). If you actually pay attention to where you are DLing from and what sites you are visiting it is VERY easy to not get a virus. PC is just as safe as you say a PS2 is. And, lag has to do with connection, not systems, although hardware can cause it, the PS2 will have a harder time chugging the game than a PC.

And you CANNOT get a virus from playing an online game.

PCs have countless problems many PC gamers deal with almost all the time.

Um, No they don't. If you are an idiot and have no idea how to take care of a PC, or are trying to run a game with lower than min. specs, then yes you will have a problem, but other than that most people do not have problems.

To the OP: your laptop is fine enough to play PSU. I'd say play it on that. I rather play games on my PC than on a PS2 which has no AA and poor FPS.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PhotonCat on 2006-07-17 12:58 ]</font>

Tystys
Jul 17, 2006, 03:03 PM
That sounds like a pretty good lap top, but if you have a keyboard for the PS2, I would suggest going that way. I can't really imagine playing a game like PSU on a lap top, O_O.

Kasuke
Jul 17, 2006, 03:10 PM
Is it just me or the people protecting the PC getting kind of edgy? Calling us all idiots and what not. My computer lags like crazy and I seem to have trouble avoiding viruses. I, personally, would just assume play it on the 360, but given that's not a choice, I have to side with the PS2.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kasuke on 2006-07-17 13:11 ]</font>

Tystys
Jul 17, 2006, 03:15 PM
On 2006-07-17 13:10, Kasuke wrote:
Is it just me or the people protecting the PC getting kind of edgy? Calling us all idiots and what not. My computer lags like crazy and I seem to have trouble avoiding viruses. I, personally, would just assume play it on the 360, but given that's not a choice, I have to side with the PS2.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kasuke on 2006-07-17 13:11 ]</font>

I agree with you there, but you're not getting their point. The main reason they're snapping at you is because, in the words of a one the_pwnerer,you are acting like a "noob", lol.

You can easily avoid viruses if you have daily virus scans and defragment your computer every once in a while....

You need to stop downloading that pron all the time too, O_O

Carlo210
Jul 17, 2006, 03:38 PM
I got rid of a spyware virus (takes form of a video codec for video sites, which is fake and just gives you this virus) within 30 minutes. It took me 30+ scans since it kept multiplying. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

VAL-0251
Jul 17, 2006, 03:39 PM
Photon_Cat has it almost right on.

The performance of a computer is NINETY NINE PERCENT based on the competancy of its user. The other 1% is hardware defects that we all deal with at one point or another.

I have been using computers for SEVENTEEN YEARS. I have NEVER gotten a virus on my machine. I've found a few on floppy disks I was given back in the day, but that's it.

My computer runs just as well as the day I got it, and my current one is entering its 41st month of service.

If your computer doesn't work as well as it could, or if you are getting viruses, it is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT YOUR PROBLEM. It is NOT the computer, it is NOT the 'nature' of the machine, it's NOBODY'S fault but YOURS, and anyone who says otherwise knows absolutely nothing about these machines.

I have a Net Security guide on some of my personal webspace that gives a good overview of how to keep yourself free of hackers and viruses. It's a little old, but still 95% valid. You can find it here: http://www.whattheboat.com/thunderclaw/security.txt

That said, the idea that PSU will be 'designed' for the PS2 is silly. The only way it can be 'designed' for it is with the interface, which one can easily bypass by attaching a gamepad or using interface mods. Even if the interface is designed for console accessability, the PC has many, many ways of remedying the situation.

Please, please, please, folks, do the entire forum a favor by simply abstaining from speaking on something unless you have learning in that field.

Sevenfold
Jul 17, 2006, 03:48 PM
PC version, because PC is pro, GG.

RoboKy
Jul 17, 2006, 04:50 PM
I thought performance of a computer was based on it's processor, graphics card and all the other things that make that blinky thing light up. Besides, not all virusi are downloaded. There was that worm that went through e-mail, so if you were on a address book you'd be sent an email from your "friend", or the worm that targets random ip addresses, or hackers. Antivirus or firewalls or whatever are'nt perfect, people can find ways around them.
It is also the nature of almost everything to decay, your computer decays down from turning it on and off from the energy surge. PSO III reference: Nothing is forever.
And why should we trust your link? Many hackers have put keyloggers in online game forums so they can get access to free goods. Don't tell me a txt can't have "extra powers". I've seen a faq at gamefaqs that said at the beginning "Please do not read this, it is not good" or something like that and had a program to stop my mouse from moving towards the scroll bar.
And "Please, please, please, folks, do the entire forum a favor by simply abstaining from speaking on something unless you have learning in that field." Learning? Ahyuk ahyuk ahyuk, BRANDENE!!!! I gots me some learning in the computer education hers today! I think everyone should have some educational background in computers, since it's the new wave of the future, but even children surpass most their elders with computer experience. They may not know how it works, but they're familiar with the interface.

Please remove thy self off the educational high horse you are riding on. Don't talk down to people, it's asking for a sarcastic reply.

Rubesahl
Jul 17, 2006, 05:07 PM
I voted for PC. With that really good laptop you have, you'll have no problems o.o; I can just imagine playing with it on my lap anywhere in the house with a controller connected >_>;; PS2 graphics aren't that good, even though its in a bigger screen, you can always connect the laptop to the TV http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif So yes, PC version.

VioletSkye
Jul 17, 2006, 05:12 PM
On 2006-07-17 13:39, VAL-0251 wrote:
Please, please, please, folks, do the entire forum a favor by simply abstaining from speaking on something unless you have learning in that field.

I'm A+ and Network+ certified with an MCSE for Server 2003 and an MCSA for Windows 2000. I also worked directly for Microsoft and have a degree in Computer Science so hopefully that qualifies me to respond http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Heh, anyway, I do agree that too many uninformed people make far too many inaccurate posts.

@ -memoru- I'd probably recommend the PS2 version over playing on that laptop (or at least waiting until the game is out so people can get a feel for how well it runs on various hardware.) You are guaranteed good framerates with a PS2 and honestly I don't know that I would go with anything less than a Mobility X1600 (especially with only 512MB of system memory). I'm not saying it won't run fine (it could very well run just great), but until the final release is out, it's impossible to tell and why take the chance. At least wait until it's released if you still are leaning towards the PC version to see if others with a similar setup can run the game well. Keep in mind that laptops do generally run much hotter and you may need to take steps to keep it cool (as in a possibly setting it on a laptop base fan.)

@Cruisectrl - Actually (as others have pointed out already) it is extremely EASY to keep your pc virus and spyware free as long you use your head. Keep your virus and anti-spyware definitions up to date. Run scans on a regular basis. ALWAYS, ALWAYS scan your downloads. make sure you have a firewall running, either hardware or software based. Most routers and even most modem/wireless gateway/router combos will have hardware firewall. It may be a good idea to run a software firewall in conjunction with it. Also, I'm not aware of any reputable online game company/server that will infect your pc with a virus.

@ Saner - I've gamed on pc for many, many years (more than I care to admit to lol) and if you are aware of what your hardware is capable of and don't attempt to run games simply because you appear to have the minimum specs, then you will probably be just fine. As a person who builds custom gaming rigs as part of my living I can tell you that I make sure to let my customers know what to expect from their machine and what things can be upgraded in the future to keep pace with newer applications/games. It is true that not all companies are equally skilled when it comes to coding games, so there are the occassional issues with software being flaky or issues with servers, which you don't have to worry about on consoles. Overall though I'd say that overwhemingly, my best gaming experiences have been on PC as opposed to console.

Lastly, for those with a Mobility X1600 and up or Geforce GO 7800GTX, I'd say go for it as long as you have at least a gig of RAM.

Nisshoku
Jul 17, 2006, 05:21 PM
I'm getting both, myself. So whenever I'm away from my desktop PC, I've still got my PS2 version to go with me places and stuff. Anyhow, if you want to analyze, here's the basic specs of my PC....

HDD: 80GB
RAM: 512MB SD DDR
VIDEO CARD: NVidia 6200 OC
PROCESSOR: AMD Athlon XP 1800+ 1.49 GHz
(I think these are all that matter for playing, i dunno)

The NVidia was put in a couple of months ago, and before then, I had a NVidia GeForce 4, which managed to run smoothly by putting everything at it's lowest settings.

Fleece
Jul 17, 2006, 05:48 PM
Violet i've seen the M200 chip and that runs games alright and thats based on the x300 chipset also the memory might not be shared with the systems Ram, although it's rare that they'd do that with a mid range chipset but its possible. My FX5100 has its own dedicated 128 MB of RAM and thats a low end card on the other hand.

My PSU Exploded last week, I love warranties.

VioletSkye
Jul 17, 2006, 06:18 PM
On 2006-07-17 15:48, Fleece wrote:
Violet i've seen the M200 chip and that runs games alright and thats based on the x300 chipset also the memory might not be shared with the systems Ram, although it's rare that they'd do that with a mid range chipset but its possible. My FX5100 has its own dedicated 128 MB of RAM and thats a low end card on the other hand.

My PSU Exploded last week, I love warranties.

Yeah I have a laptop I use for onsite pc repair that uses the 200M. I guess I should try running a game on it just to get a feel for it. The X1400 has 128MB of dedicated VRAM and through hypermemory, uses up to another 128MB of System RAM, so it "should" be able to handle PSU descently, but I don't want to say for sure until it's released and I can test it on a mobility X1400 myself lol. I'd say if the OP adds another 512MB stick of RAM then he/she could be good to go.

Sorry to hear about your PSU, but hey, at least you get a brand spankin' new one thanks to the warranty http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-07-17 16:53 ]</font>

AvianKaitos
Jul 17, 2006, 06:40 PM
It all depends on how much green you got squirreled away. Go for the zomg hi end hardware, or simple ole' PS2. True, PC and XBOX 360 graphics are going to be better. Do what you can with what you have.

In your friend's case, tell him/her thanks for the PS2, there are still great games for it besides PSU, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif If you are that dedicated to get a new laptop for PSU than go ahead.
If he/she is giving you a PS2 just for PSU then tell he/she no thanks, I'm getting a laptop.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AvianKaitos on 2006-07-17 17:04 ]</font>

Fleece
Jul 17, 2006, 07:20 PM
Yeah it was an Active PFC(Only had passive before this) unit with a built in curcuit breaker so at least i didnt have to change my just worn in components through them getting laced into oblivion, shame the PSU was specially built for the case though......I lost my funky case badges. I'm trying to find a pentium II flat case badge, Y'know for humour.

Oh and another plus the card reader works in this one, updated BIOS FTW. I was worried i wouldve had to build a new one for Phantasy star. My mate is selling a nForce 2 Motherboard with a sempron Xp 2800+ for 50 pounds......might take up that offer.

VioletSkye
Jul 17, 2006, 08:06 PM
On 2006-07-17 17:20, Fleece wrote:
Yeah it was an Active PFC(Only had passive before this) unit with a built in curcuit breaker so at least i didnt have to change my just worn in components through them getting laced into oblivion, shame the PSU was specially built for the case though......I lost my funky case badges. I'm trying to find a pentium II flat case badge, Y'know for humour.

Oh and another plus the card reader works in this one, updated BIOS FTW. I was worried i wouldve had to build a new one for Phantasy star. My mate is selling a nForce 2 Motherboard with a sempron Xp 2800+ for 50 pounds......might take up that offer.

I found a domed Pentium 2 case badge, but nothing flat.
Domed Pentium 2 Case badge (http://cgi.ebay.ie/Domed-PENTIUM-II-case-badges_W0QQitemZ170005707961QQihZ007QQcategoryZ162 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem)

-memoru-
Jul 17, 2006, 08:36 PM
Wow, tough choice. I rather not have my new Laptop blow up from overheating(because i will be playing for a while. >_>) I also don't want to buy a stick of RAM(i wouldn't know how to install or anything) for it to run as smoothly as possible, nor do i really care about "high tech" graphics. So i'm probably gonna stick to the PS2 ver. I might buy the PSU ver later on. Thanks everyone. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Oh yeah, for everyone who said he, I'm a girl. >:/

scott1114
Jul 18, 2006, 06:37 PM
I'm getting the Ps2 version for tw reason :
1-My PC sux
2-I hate playing with a keyboard and I don't wanna get a controller just to play PSU, Cuz other games I play are guild wars and warcraft 3

The-King
Jul 18, 2006, 06:41 PM
On 2006-07-17 12:27, Saner wrote:
PS2 is the safest and most comfortable choice. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

plus the game is made with PS2 in mind so it will run and look good no matter what PS2 you have. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

for PC it's more sketchy because hardware could make it look better or worse than it's intended. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Second

The-King
Jul 18, 2006, 06:44 PM
Oh, and PS2, the small one, its built in with internet, all you have to do is hook a DSL up to it and it'll be just peachy, and buy a Keyboard, and a controller, plug the keyboard into the USB socket, and you should be just fine and dandy

scott1114
Jul 18, 2006, 06:47 PM
The-King are you French?

Kasuke
Jul 18, 2006, 06:49 PM
Why does it matter what platform we play on?

-memoru-
Jul 18, 2006, 06:51 PM
On 2006-07-18 16:49, Kasuke wrote:
Why does it matter what platform we play on?

I mattered to me, cuz i was asking which should I get. >_>

Kasuke
Jul 18, 2006, 06:54 PM
Get whatever you think will work best for you. Asking other people simply complicates things.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kasuke on 2006-07-18 16:55 ]</font>

-memoru-
Jul 18, 2006, 07:18 PM
xD That was the problem:

"I'm planning on getting a laptop this month, and my friend is giving me a PS2. I've already Pre-ordered(but not fully paid off), PSU. I was wondering, should i get the PC ver or PS2 ver? I would have to get a router either way, and still buy the ethernet adapter for the PS2; but i can't decide! xD Help please."

I still needed to get things for both, so i asked for help. XD And i already decided, as seen on page 2, last post. ;D

Nuclearranger
Jul 19, 2006, 01:10 AM
The PC version would be More Mobile though you gota remember that if its going to be on a laptop.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NuclearRanger on 2006-07-18 23:13 ]</font>

VAL-0251
Jul 20, 2006, 11:45 AM
On 2006-07-17 18:36, -memoru- wrote:
Wow, tough choice. I rather not have my new Laptop blow up from overheating(because i will be playing for a while. >_>)
Unless you've damaged your laptop, this will not be a problem. Or, rather, if it is, and you haven't damaged your laptop, that is what's commonly known as a 'lemon', which would entitle you to a free replacement, assuming it's within warranty.

NDkEwL
Jul 20, 2006, 02:30 PM
I'm going to play it on the PC, personally. I've been playing Final Fantasy XI to pass the time until this game comes on in America, and haven't had a computer problem based on that ever. I have no clue about PS2 though, since I played PSO on my Gamecube, which broke due to my brother being stupid and hitting the system when he's pissed off which will likely end in the complete downfall of my computer as well =(

Regardless, going to play it on my PC, so I wouldn't doubt it being plausible to play it on a laptop and enjoy it just the same.

JAR
Jul 22, 2006, 10:48 AM
Get the laptop! As long as you have a hot spot to leech from you can there and in relative privacy relax and play some hardcore PSU, I kinda envy you because I'll be chained to my PC in order to play, I wouldn't mind going and playing at a coffee shop once in a while.

DoctorShasta
Jul 22, 2006, 11:48 AM
Doesn't matter which platform you play on but if I had to recommend between them I'd say:

If you're lazy and just feel like popping the game in and playing, ps2
If you feel like buying a controller then get the PC, however the game obviously wasn't intended for PC so it would be good still I'm sure but part of me thinks it would be different somehow. Anyway 360 corded controllers are like $40 aren't they?

Kyuu
Jul 22, 2006, 11:52 AM
On 2006-07-22 09:48, DoctorShasta wrote:

Anyway 360 corded controllers are like $40 aren't they?

Yep. Worth it, though, unless you're on a really tight budget. Or if you have something against the best controller ever. =P

DoctorShasta
Jul 22, 2006, 12:21 PM
Yea well I was thinking of buying a 360 but if the 07 release date is true I don't think I am anymore cuz its 400 for the system 50 for xbox live 50 for each controller (and i have to have at least 2 cuz my friends come over a lot), and 50-60 for every game I wanted to buy, and for someone who doesnt have a job, yes, that is hella expensive.

Carlo210
Jul 22, 2006, 01:44 PM
Then don't buy all that in one blow... forget your friends for now. Don't let them get in the way. LEt them buy a controller if they really wanna play so bad.

xx1gunner1xx
Jul 22, 2006, 04:11 PM
I was wondering, what is a sony harddrive lol.... sorry to sound stupid but i have had a ps2 for so long now but i never really used it. so i keep reading about psu ps2 and stuff about mulling or someting HDD Sony for ps2 or something like that. can someone tell me the things you need exactly to play psu ps2.

Carlo210
Jul 22, 2006, 04:15 PM
you dont need anything except for the network adapter and 8mb memory card.

s i m p l e

xx1gunner1xx
Jul 22, 2006, 04:40 PM
oh ok.

Emrald
Jul 22, 2006, 04:54 PM
Some games that people say should be on a controler usually would work better on a keyboard in my opian....Though....How much does a USB keyboard cost for PS2?