PDA

View Full Version : Attack Speed...?

Flamingo99
Jul 19, 2006, 07:19 AM
I remember reading somewhere that beasts have a slower attack speed than the other races. I forgot where I found this, but is it true? It might be reffering to EVP, which IIRC, beasts do have lower EVP than the other races.

mechatra
Jul 19, 2006, 07:23 AM
First off, no it's not true, all races attack at the same speed.

Secondly Beasts actually have higher EVP than Casts as any class, so no, Casts have the worst EVP.

Carlo210
Jul 19, 2006, 10:40 AM
Casts have the best Defense, though.
Classes are pretty even, though I wouldn't come to see myself playing as a newman hunter unless I planned on having him dual-class (as a force).

Alisha
Jul 19, 2006, 11:54 AM
i hope evp isnt as worthless as it was in pso. when you evade is there a block animation? or do you just recieve 0 damage like monsters do?

Carlo210
Jul 19, 2006, 12:22 PM
haha. I always prefer having more defense and getting hit than performing some 2x as long evade animation.

Flamingo99
Jul 19, 2006, 01:46 PM
Sort of off topic, but I don't want to make a new one. Are there still "normal", "hard", and "special" attacks like in the other PSOs?

zandra117
Jul 19, 2006, 01:50 PM
On 2006-07-19 09:54, Alisha wrote:
i hope evp isnt as worthless as it was in pso. when you evade is there a block animation? or do you just recieve 0 damage like monsters do?

Wasnt that the point of evading? Taking no damage without having your attack being interrupted by another animation. Evp in pso was very useful. Why would you want an evade animation? Blocking depends on your def not your evp.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2006-07-19 11:54 ]</font>

Carlo210
Jul 19, 2006, 01:55 PM
Zandra, in PSO, when you evade, you are still interrupted. The only time you can take no damage when an enemy swings is if the ENEMY misses alltogether. If he connects, THEN you have a chance of evading. If the enemy can't connect a hit with you (ie. continual swings towards you but nothing connecting), you aren't evading - the enemy is just missing alltogether. When you evade, that means that the enemy attack Connected with you - aka the enemy hit you, but you recieved 0 damage thanks to evasion. If the enemy can't hit you, you have no opportunity to evade.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Carlo210 on 2006-07-19 11:58 ]</font>

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 19, 2006, 01:59 PM
I always thought that evasion was the rate at which you will block things while defense being one's ability to take damage.

zandra117
Jul 19, 2006, 02:03 PM
I thought that the higher defense you had the more often you will block if the enemy connects and evasion made the enemy miss more often when it attacked you.
The enemy's ATP determines how much maximum damage is done to you while the enemy's ATA compared to your EVP will determine if the enemy misses or not.
The enemys LUK increases the chanses of them doing their maximum damage potential. When the enemy hits you with their maximum damage the hit is considered critical.

http://pso-world.com/sections.php?op=listarticles&secid=7 this article confirms that what I said is true.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2006-07-19 12:52 ]</font>

oShojino
Jul 19, 2006, 04:46 PM
If I remember correctly when you evade you take 0 damage and the attack goes right through you, thats how it was for monsters...and the times I didnt take any damage my character didnt do any blocking animation. When you get enough defense however I believe everytime you're hit you're knocked back a little and do a guard animation, but it doesnt hinder you going into another combo..its more for visual effect.

Kers
Jul 19, 2006, 05:49 PM
Zandra, in PSO, increased evasion will have you block more. With more defense, you take less melee damage and also require more damage to get knocked down. This is what I've gathered from playing.

Kupi
Jul 19, 2006, 05:53 PM
On 2006-07-19 12:03, zandra117 wrote:
I thought that the higher defense you had the more often you will block if the enemy connects and evasion made the enemy miss more often when it attacked you.
The enemy's ATP determines how much maximum damage is done to you while the enemy's ATA compared to your EVP will determine if the enemy misses or not.
The enemys LUK increases the chanses of them doing their maximum damage potential. When the enemy hits you with their maximum damage the hit is considered critical.

http://pso-world.com/sections.php?op=listarticles&secid=7 this article confirms that what I said is true.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2006-07-19 12:52 ]</font>

Unfortunately, you're wrong. The ATA vs. EVP issue is the only thing in PSO that determines whether or not your character will block an enemy attack with their shield if the enemy is capable of non-zero damage. If the attack lands, then the player character goes into a pain animation (either standing up or falling over), and if the attack doesn't land, the player character goes into a blocking animation. Both stop any other action the player may be performing at the time. DFP is never involved; it only reduces the damage in the case of a successful attack.

However, if your DFP is so high that the enemy can not do any damage to you, then your character will raise their shield as if the attack missed. In all but the most borderline cases, this results in the character looking as if they are evading every time they are attacked.

How this works in PSU, I have no idea. I do note that early battle videos show player attacks doing 0 damage when this is well outside of their normal damage range, so I assume that those are "misses". Whether this rule applies to players taking damage, I can't say; I've seen some shield-block animations and times when the players have taken 0 damage like the enemies. Perhaps this means that players must always react to damage (even 0 damage), but do not react to evaded damage (that which is reduced to 0 by the ATA vs. EVP relationship).

Short answer: we'll see.

Saner
Jul 19, 2006, 05:59 PM
Defense is really more useful than Evasive stats.

because auto-evasion is based on luck while defense stats always count towards any damage you take in.

besides evasion is not as vital as defense in this game because you can manually evade almost any attack yourself, (if you are careful enough and have the reflexes to be in the right place at the right moment). http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

DizzyDi
Jul 19, 2006, 06:58 PM
I hear in PSU when an attack is evaded it shows up as 0 damage and there is no interuption to your current action.

And Saner, I think its a lot easier said than done to manually evade. Remeber you can only strafe if you have a gun equipped and theres no sense in your needing to try to manually dodge anyway if you have a gun seeing as how you should be out of range anyway.

Ryudo
Jul 19, 2006, 07:04 PM
On 2006-07-19 15:59, Saner wrote:
Defense is really more useful than Evasive stats.

because auto-evasion is based on luck while defense stats always count towards any damage you take in.

besides evasion is not as vital as defense in this game because you can manually evade almost any attack yourself, (if you are careful enough and have the reflexes to be in the right place at the right moment). http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

If you have the reflexesto evade all attacks manually then DFP isnt an issue either, both only come into play when you're actually attacked.

Parn
Jul 19, 2006, 07:13 PM
On 2006-07-19 16:58, DizzyDi wrote:
I hear in PSU when an attack is evaded it shows up as 0 damage and there is no interuption to your current action.
Heh, that's actually half true. The deflection animation still happens like it did in PSO. Watch my video of the Mizuraki Preserve (http://synbios.net/games/PSU/videos/beta/Mizuraki%20Preserve.wmv) that I took during the beta and you'll see my character deflecting an attack.

DizzyDi
Jul 19, 2006, 07:29 PM
On 2006-07-19 17:13, Parn wrote:

Heh, that's actually half true. The deflection animation still happens like it did in PSO. Watch my video of the Mizuraki Preserve (http://synbios.net/games/PSU/videos/beta/Mizuraki%20Preserve.wmv) that I took during the beta and you'll see my character deflecting an attack.

A lil off topic but thats beautiful video Parn. Spears look fun to use, I can't wait to get my hands on them. I was also wrong about the strafing thing but even so it doesn't look like you can't strafe/move fast enough to effectively dodge like Saner says.

Kers
Jul 19, 2006, 08:03 PM
Does anyone know for shure what happens when you land a 0 damage on a monster? It's been said misses have been replaced with 0 damage hits, and from watching videos it looks like 0 hits don't interrrupt the monster's attack, the same as a miss. I'm not shure though, because I've seen a few 0 hits look like they interrupted the target. It's been hard for me to decide because of the lag in combat.

Also, some low damage hits I've watched looked like they didn't interrupt.

Parn
Jul 19, 2006, 08:14 PM
On 2006-07-19 17:29, DizzyDi wrote:
Spears look fun to use, I can't wait to get my hands on them.
Out of all the weapons I used that were available in the beta, the spear was my favorite.

For those that never saw them, I still have the other videos I took still sitting here (http://synbios.net/games/PSU/videos/beta/).

Kimil
Jul 19, 2006, 08:47 PM
Defence in PSO was more important IMO, becasue When I Play with my FOnewm, Tisen, He would never even be hurt by ANY enemy attack because his Def just cancelled any damage the enemy did at all (1347 Def... *Cough*), My denfence canlled the attacek damage before my evasion comes into play at all

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kimil on 2006-07-19 18:49 ]</font>

Vetsent
Jul 19, 2006, 09:25 PM
On 2006-07-19 18:47, Kimil wrote:
Defence in PSO was more important IMO, becasue When I Play with my FOnewm, Tisen, He would never even be hurt by ANY enemy attack because his Def just cancelled any damage the enemy did at all (1347 Def... *Cough*), My denfence canlled the attacek damage before my evasion comes into play at all

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kimil on 2006-07-19 18:49 ]</font>

Usually boss's attacks don't miss as much in PSO(if at all) so there is another reeason for high Defense instead of evasion.I once did that as an expiriment,long ago.

Kyuu
Jul 19, 2006, 10:22 PM

And Saner, I think its a lot easier said than done to manually evade. Remeber you can only strafe if you have a gun equipped and theres no sense in your needing to try to manually dodge anyway if you have a gun seeing as how you should be out of range anyway.

You can circle-strafe an enemy with any melee weapon equipped, and you can strafe side to side with handguns and mechguns, I believe. Also, it's not true that you'll always be out of range with a gun, as some types of enemies can close distance very quickly, and you can be dual-wielding a handgun or mechgun with a melee weapon. Also, judging by videos I've seen, people playing rangers often prefer to stick with guns even for melee-range combat.

As you can see at 2:14 on this video, there is an animation for blocking, and it does briefly interrupt you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKg2WqL0Cvs&mode=related&search=PSU

Also, the Defense stat reduces the damage you take when an enemy physical attack successfully hits you. The Evade stat increases your chance to successfully block an attack. That's how those two stats work.

And finally, yes, the zero damage hits you see are the "misses" in PSU.

The-King
Jul 19, 2006, 11:19 PM
On 2006-07-19 18:14, Parn wrote:

On 2006-07-19 17:29, DizzyDi wrote:
Spears look fun to use, I can't wait to get my hands on them.
Out of all the weapons I used that were available in the beta, the spear was my favorite.

For those that never saw them, I still have the other videos I took still sitting here (http://synbios.net/games/PSU/videos/beta/).

Dang! That looks good, those graphics are

Edit: How in the world did you get to Level 25? How long was the Beta?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The-King on 2006-07-19 21:25 ]</font>

Carlo210
Jul 19, 2006, 11:28 PM
The-king.... The beta went to level 35. NPCS could get to level 35-ish.

The-King
Jul 19, 2006, 11:34 PM
Sorry, never got a chance to play it, don't make fun of me for it...
You sound like I'm supposed to know all about PSU

Carlo210
Jul 19, 2006, 11:41 PM
I didn't paly it either. It's basically common knowledge here. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

The-King
Jul 19, 2006, 11:43 PM
I didn't read a wink of Beta, but I couldn't tell how many hits are in a combo, how many are there?

Carlo210
Jul 19, 2006, 11:44 PM
Depends on which weapon.

The-King
Jul 19, 2006, 11:55 PM
Really? So its not one two three anymore? and have they turned it into a button masher? or is there still some sort of rythm to it?

Kyuu
Jul 20, 2006, 03:44 AM
Er, actually, the max level in beta was 30 for character level, and 10 for job levels.

Comboes now depend on the weapon, and the proficiency you have with that weapon. There is no weak/strong attacks, just normal attack and photon arts (speaking of melee weapons, of course; ranged weapons have a set rate of fire and are no longer combo-based). The comboes still require timing, you can't just mash the attack button and successfully pull off comboes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-07-20 01:44 ]</font>

Parn
Jul 20, 2006, 06:17 AM
On 2006-07-20 01:44, Kyuu wrote:
The comboes still require timing, you can't just mash the attack button and successfully pull off comboes.
Not true, button mashing is highly encouraged actually.

RFB
Jul 20, 2006, 07:31 AM
The 3 step combo for melee weapons is still present, but you can chain it with a Photon Art after the 3rd step.
Ranger weapons however, are a different story, now you can keep firing as much as you want, but of course if you abuse your guns, they'll run out of PPs in no time.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 20, 2006, 08:00 AM
so guns have ammo now? that kinda sucks

Kyuu
Jul 20, 2006, 08:23 AM
A little behind the times? It's not really ammo. It's PP, and melee weapons and force weapons have PP also. It essentially takes the place of TP, though it works a little different obviously.

People would do well to read some of the articles in the PSU section of this site. Some good information there. =)

Carlo210
Jul 20, 2006, 11:42 AM
The pp on guns is very limited. It's a shame. 10 pp per basic ice shot and around 800-1000 pp on a rifle. That's only 100 shots per game.

Earthsunderer
Jul 20, 2006, 12:48 PM
Well, your PP do recover over time, and there are always some recovery cristals, as can be seen in the play videos on youtube and such.

RFB
Jul 20, 2006, 01:05 PM
PP only recovers for the weapon thats currently equipped.

Crystals are only found in towns/outposts, and just before the bosses.

But other than that, there are PP recovery items (although they are very expensive), and you can take up to 6 weapons with you, so it's not like you're depending on a single elemental ranger weapon.

Carlo210
Jul 20, 2006, 01:57 PM
It costs 1 meseta per pp. So, recharging a rifle would cost 1000 meseta.

Convenient, mm? /sarcasm

Earthsunderer
Jul 20, 2006, 03:57 PM
Then how about letting the weapon recharge itself slowly? And as long as you don't miss all to often and waste too many shots, you won't need to use PP-recovery items all too often, as the beta-players have said.

However, it surely will be needed for sure in later, higher-graded missions, where you can't afford to wait till your weapon has recharged enough points, because time spent also affects mission ranking at the end.

AvianKaitos
Jul 20, 2006, 04:25 PM
Hmmm, Saner having high def can be a con too. In PSO battle you get torn up from mech guns if you have too much, you’ll receive all the damage without falling down to save your ass.

zandra117
Jul 20, 2006, 04:43 PM
On 2006-07-19 15:53, Kupi wrote:

On 2006-07-19 12:03, zandra117 wrote:

Unfortunately, you're wrong. The ATA vs. EVP issue is the only thing in PSO that determines whether or not your character will block an enemy attack with their shield if the enemy is capable of non-zero damage. If the attack lands, then the player character goes into a pain animation (either standing up or falling over), and if the attack doesn't land, the player character goes into a blocking animation. Both stop any other action the player may be performing at the time. DFP is never involved; it only reduces the damage in the case of a successful attack.

However, if your DFP is so high that the enemy can not do any damage to you, then your character will raise their shield as if the attack missed. In all but the most borderline cases, this results in the character looking as if they are evading every time they are attacked.

How this works in PSU, I have no idea. I do note that early battle videos show player attacks doing 0 damage when this is well outside of their normal damage range, so I assume that those are "misses". Whether this rule applies to players taking damage, I can't say; I've seen some shield-block animations and times when the players have taken 0 damage like the enemies. Perhaps this means that players must always react to damage (even 0 damage), but do not react to evaded damage (that which is reduced to 0 by the ATA vs. EVP relationship).

Short answer: we'll see.

If the attack doesnt land it says miss and nothing happens to you. If the attack does hit but does 0 damage to you due to defence reducing your damage, you do a block animation.

From the guide "EVP is your evasion statistic.
The higher your EVP, the less likely you are to get hit by an enemy attack." http://pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=159

If you block you still got hit by the attack and your defence nulled out the damage.

When the enemy misses its all because of your evasion.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2006-07-20 14:50 ]</font>

Kyuu
Jul 20, 2006, 04:47 PM
On 2006-07-20 14:43, zandra117 wrote:

If the attack doesnt land it says miss and nothing happens to you. If the attack does hit but does 0 damage to you due to defence reducing your damage, you do a block animation.

Wrong. A block animation occurs when you BLOCK something due to your evasion. It may ALSO occur when your defense reduces a hits damage to zero (which would only occur with much higher level players in low level areas, and I've blocked hits with my characters when their in areas with monsters that do 300+ damage a hit to me).

zandra117
Jul 20, 2006, 04:52 PM
You still got hit by the attack, When you block it doesnt say miss.

The best way to test this is with a shield of delsaber and a delsaber's buster.

If im correct, The ememy should miss more often (you shouldnt block, the enemy just misses) when you have the delsaber's buster equipped with the delsaber's shield than with the delsaber's buster unequipped and only the shield of delsaber equipped.

Evasion is doubled if the Shield of Delsaber is used with the Buster of Delsaber.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2006-07-20 15:14 ]</font>

Ether
Jul 20, 2006, 05:25 PM
PSO's been out how long how and people still don't know how evasion works?

Kyuu is correct, arguing this on a 5 year old game is pointless. Go down to normal forest with any high level character and see how much the enemies "miss" (hint: never)

zandra117
Jul 20, 2006, 05:33 PM
On 2006-07-20 15:25, Ether wrote:

Kyuu is correct, arguing this on a 5 year old game is pointless. Go down to normal forest with any high level character and see how much the enemies "miss" (hint: never)

Enemys miss me in normal on my lvl.97 hucaseal character because I focused on raising my evade and power when I raised my character. The enemys don't miss you guys as much because you focused on your defence more than your evade when you raised your character.

Kupi
Jul 20, 2006, 05:50 PM
On 2006-07-20 15:33, zandra117 wrote:

On 2006-07-20 15:25, Ether wrote:

Enemys miss me in normal on my lvl.97 hucaseal character because I focused on raising my evade and power when I raised my character. The enemys don't miss you guys as much because you focused on your defence more than your evade when you raised your character.

I'm sorry, but in all the time I've spent playing PSO (well over two years, I would guess), I have never, not one single time have I ever seen the big red "MISS" appear as a result of an enemy attack in a game that wasn't Episode III. Now, maybe Blue Burst (which I haven't played) works differently than the Dreamcast, Gamecube, and XBox versions, but when your character raises their shield and takes no damage when normally they would have, that's a result of your EVP.

If you take no damage and have no reaction as a result of stepping out of the way, that's just a failed attack. DFP and EVP are never considered in that case. Everyone, regardless of how much they've raised their EVP, can do that equally well.

DoctorShasta
Jul 20, 2006, 06:10 PM
I don't really care for all the EVP and DFP talk I'll just focus on DFP like always, however the issue of ranger's gun having limited PP makes me mad because I think ranger's already had enough of a disadvantage I mean I was a good ranger but people only wanted hunters and forces for doing challenge mode so I never got into a good party.

Earthsunderer
Jul 20, 2006, 06:34 PM
Doesn't every weapon have limited PP anyway?

Ether
Jul 20, 2006, 06:51 PM
On 2006-07-20 16:34, Earthsunderer wrote:
Doesn't every weapon have limited PP anyway?

Yes but hunter/melee weapons only use it on photon arts, they get normal attacks for free

Carlo210
Jul 20, 2006, 07:30 PM
Weapons are totally unbalanced towards hunters/melee weapons.

Earthsunderer
Jul 20, 2006, 07:34 PM
Well, the melee combatants do have to go into melee as a trade-off, not?

I mean, being far away has the advantage that you are not going to be hurt in melee.

Carlo210
Jul 20, 2006, 07:37 PM
Erm, but the melee hunters are set up to be ABLE to fight close-range, are they not? You know, with 2x as much HP and defense.
Sure, they're gonna get hit more, but that doesn't change the fact that being able to attack for 200 damage over and over throughout the game without worrying about pp is unbalanced, if you ask me. Rangers have to be pretty close with machineguns and handguns, and some forces need to be close to aim more precisely. Also, it's not like rangers and forces are out of the enemies reach.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Carlo210 on 2006-07-20 17:38 ]</font>

Earthsunderer
Jul 20, 2006, 07:45 PM
I think being at the risk of getting more hitten and receive damage might warrant their increased damage they do compared to the Ranger. After all, you seem to need a Force to heal you, unless you use a recovery item.

Carlo210
Jul 20, 2006, 07:47 PM
Well, the increased damage isn't what I have a problem with (they're hunters). The thing I find unbalanced is how their weapons don't run out of charge for normal attacks, while rangers' guns DO run out of ammo for 'normal' attacks.

Earthsunderer
Jul 20, 2006, 07:58 PM
According to the beta testers who played as Rangers, they often swapped their weapons after their PP went down with it.

Perhaps it would be too bothersome for all the Hunter players to not only needing to avoid enemy attacks, but also to need to keep a constant eye on the PP-gauge of their melee weapon after every normal strike and then needing to swap to another melee weapon in middle of combat.

In traditional gameplay (though this doesn't have to apply to Phantasy Star Universe at all, of course), the magic user and the shooter do stay behind, while the melee combatant does distract and hold the monsters at bay.

Carlo210
Jul 20, 2006, 07:59 PM
I just don't like how I'll only be able to use my rare rifle for 50-100 shots until I have to resort to my standard lockgun or whatnot.

Parn
Jul 20, 2006, 08:39 PM
Photon points regenerate, for the record. And they regenerated faster on rifles than they did on any melee weapon I used. Not to mention rifles came with four times the photon points that melee weapons had.

The only time I ran low on PP with a ranger was during a solo session. It was almost moot in a group session.

Carlo210
Jul 20, 2006, 08:42 PM
Fine fine fine. Rangers FTW! Wewtness!

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 20, 2006, 10:33 PM
Well that's freaking sweet, though I would have been content with having to use ammo-conservation strategies and stuff. Actually, if I'm more handgun-or-other-gun-oriented than rifle-oriented, that might still hold true if rifles have way more PP than handguns, shotguns or cannons (there better be cannons!).

DoctorShasta
Jul 20, 2006, 10:33 PM
Agreed! and thanks Parn good to hear it's not much of a problem

Kyuu
Jul 20, 2006, 10:37 PM
On 2006-07-20 20:33, Jife_Jifremok wrote:

... there better be cannons!

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2372#Long-Range

Carlo210
Jul 20, 2006, 10:46 PM
I still can't see rangers being all that great at all. Not with 20pp per shot bullets and only 1000 pp per good rifle. I mean, 50 shots per gun before you're out? Pathetic.
At least forces hit multiple enemies for tons of damage and get their pp's worth.

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 20, 2006, 10:51 PM
On 2006-07-20 20:37, Kyuu wrote:

On 2006-07-20 20:33, Jife_Jifremok wrote:

... there better be cannons!

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2372#Long-Range

I forgot all about that part.
*looks at the laser cannon* Buhahaha!
YES! That will be my two-handed weapon of choice.

Say, the shotgun has some bullet arts called "Barata Banga", Baraga Reiga" and "Barata Inga". Could these be elemental shots that are different from the Bullet Arts previously talked about?

Kyuu
Jul 20, 2006, 10:58 PM
Nah... it's pretty likely they're just differently named because they're the ice/fire/plasma arts specifically for the shotgun. If you notice, most the different ranged weapons have differently named bullet arts from the others, but they act similarly. It basically just means you have to aquire each art for each different weapon on its own.

Carlo210
Jul 21, 2006, 12:19 AM
Great, another downfall. If you get level 20 fire bullet with your rifle, then try to use your shotgun, you're stuck with a level 1 fire bullet. FANTASTIC.

Kyuu
Jul 21, 2006, 02:25 AM
Only if you play exclusively with your rifle for a few weeks straight, never pulling out your shotgun, then decide to suddenly pull out a shotgun when you've never used one before.

If you use different types of guns, you'll level all their bullet arts up. If you don't use it, you won't level it, but it won't matter since it's obviously not something you use. o_0

DizzyDi
Jul 21, 2006, 02:51 AM
On 2006-07-20 22:19, Carlo210 wrote:
Great, another downfall. If you get level 20 fire bullet with your rifle, then try to use your shotgun, you're stuck with a level 1 fire bullet. FANTASTIC.

It goes that way with everyone 'cept forces. PA's level up just like BA's do. So if someone was using thier spear for a month straith, then went to sword, thier sword PA's would suck. FANTASTIC.
Its up to you to level up your PA's/BA's evenly.

Ibuka
Jul 21, 2006, 07:24 AM
On 2006-07-19 09:54, Alisha wrote:

Evsp was kinda helpful in normal hard and very hard... But yeah it did seem kinda useless in Area's like Ultamite Sea Bed or Ultamite West and East Tower.

I just hope the stats in PSU don't seem to work against you like it did sometimes in PSO like you had to much hp and def you couldn't get knocked down which in same case it worked against you like when you fight Gal Gryphon and someone jellens him and that hurts you cause the person that jellen the gryphon needs to jellen him from not being killed off But your characters Def and Hp were too high which make your character stand up to the his running charge attack combo hit and it end up killing you.

Or like say you have the Ultamite 4 way combo Shifta & Deband in Sea bed and a crappy little Recon comes and uses his razer attack on you and it doesn't knock you down cause of how high your def and hp was and it end up killing you in like a sec from combo hitting you... I didn't even bother giving me RAmarl Def and Hp Mates cause i wanted to get knocked down at all cost then stand up to any attacks... lol I never understood why Hp keeps you from getting knock down and not just Def but it does... Cause if you fight ultamite Falz you notice that his RA-Foie attack downs knock you down but then when you get up in the higher levels like lv188 the amount of hp you have lets you stand up to Falz's RA-Foie which someone would say yeah but you your def goes up to beside hp.

(But even though i don't think Def works against techs) But anyway if you don't use Hp mate on like let just say with a RAmarl at lv188, You noticed that Falz's RA-Foie does knock you down.
But these are online mode terms im talking about that though... This stuff doesn't really happen offline

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ibuka on 2006-07-21 06:37 ]</font>

Parn
Jul 21, 2006, 10:11 AM
There is no moment of invunerability in Phantasy Star Universe from my experience. Enemies can surround and pummel you to death. Getting knocked down is worse because you can at least attack back while being hit, but when you're knocked down, you're completely helpless for a short moment. You fall under the same combat rules as the enemies now... you can knock enemies onto the ground and make them helpless, and continue to hurt them, and they can do the same to you. More defense is definitely important.

Funniest thing ever was when the golem midboss hit me once, and my character was dazed. I couldn't move, couldn't do anything but stand there while my character wavered around like he was extremely dizzy. It's not like in PSO where when you got "paralyzed", you could just use an item to remove it.

I got poisoned once during the beta, and it was pretty strong... though it wore off over time. I really like the changes they made.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 21, 2006, 10:37 AM
I didn't think that HP would have any effect on whether or not you got knocked down, I thought only dfp had anything to do with that.

Kyuu
Jul 21, 2006, 11:20 AM
What determined if you got knocked down was the amount of damage the hit did. So a lot of HP, a lot of DFP, or a combination of both, would make hits not do enough damage to knock you down.

And as Parn said, you're not invulnerable when you get knocked down in PSU, so there's no downside to high HP and DFP.

Ibuka
Jul 21, 2006, 11:36 AM
On 2006-07-21 08:11, Parn wrote:
There is no moment of invunerability in Phantasy Star Universe from my experience. Enemies can surround and pummel you to death. Getting knocked down is worse because you can at least attack back while being hit, but when you're knocked down, you're completely helpless for a short moment. You fall under the same combat rules as the enemies now... you can knock enemies onto the ground and make them helpless, and continue to hurt them, and they can do the same to you. More defense is definitely important.

Funniest thing ever was when the golem midboss hit me once, and my character was dazed. I couldn't move, couldn't do anything but stand there while my character wavered around like he was extremely dizzy. It's not like in PSO where when you got "paralyzed", you could just use an item to remove it.

I got poisoned once during the beta, and it was pretty strong... though it wore off over time. I really like the changes they made.

Well this is great news to me then lol
Now i won't fell like "hell no! No way i'm getting def and hp and get combo hit and killed off in a sec! " XD

Parn
Jul 21, 2006, 11:44 AM
Of note, enemies do both normal and fierce hits... when I was a lower level character, a fierce hit would make me fly backwards several feet like in this video (http://synbios.net/games/PSU/videos/beta/Linear%20Line.wmv). Later on, fierce hits would just inflict damage normally. It seems as though whether you get knocked back or smacked to the ground is based off the percentage of damage relative to your max HP like before.

Lyrise
Jul 21, 2006, 11:47 AM
But in a mob situation, sometimes a low defense does help. Sure it's already been mentioned that you're pretty much a sitting duck if you get knocked down, but if a blow is considered extremely strong in comparison to your stats, you don't get knocked down - you get sent flying (Flying Screen effect) head over heels. This essentially lets you get away from the mob, since you get smashed away about 30 feet from the mob. Of course that's if you get hit at all; creative players will already know that PAs can be used for defensive purposes too.

Parn
Jul 21, 2006, 12:01 PM
I've seen three different effects on monsters with fierce attacks... knocking them directly to the floor (did that with the basic dagger PA), knocking enemies back 10 feet (did that with the second dagger PA), and tossing them into the air (basic saber PA). As a player, I have experienced the first two effects from monsters, and I'm willing to bet the third is prone to happen at some point in the game.

With that said, I'd rather have a crapload of defense than have such low defense that fierce attacks throw me all over the place. That just means the regular attacks will tear me up quickly. No thanks.

DoctorShasta
Jul 21, 2006, 01:54 PM
Mmmmmm all these new elements added in are making me happy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif (not like that you sickos)

Lyrise
Jul 21, 2006, 02:16 PM
On 2006-07-21 10:01, Parn wrote:
I've seen three different effects on monsters with fierce attacks... knocking them directly to the floor (did that with the basic dagger PA), knocking enemies back 10 feet (did that with the second dagger PA), and tossing them into the air (basic saber PA). As a player, I have experienced the first two effects from monsters, and I'm willing to bet the third is prone to happen at some point in the game.

With that said, I'd rather have a crapload of defense than have such low defense that fierce attacks throw me all over the place. That just means the regular attacks will tear me up quickly. No thanks.

Different play styles I suppose. IIRC, you were human, weren't you? If so, I guess that's why I could get away with low defense. If I wasn't blocking hits, I was getting sent flying, far away from the mobs. Though I can agree with the getting launched comment. It'll happen sooner or later, and the unlucky target is in for a world of hurt (if and when it happens).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lyrise on 2006-07-21 12:17 ]</font>

Kupi
Jul 21, 2006, 07:51 PM
Also, if the enemies aren't clustered in a single group, getting thrown by a fierce attack could plant you smack-dab in the middle of a separate horde. That's death in a can, right there.

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 22, 2006, 12:59 AM
On 2006-07-21 10:01, Parn wrote:
...and tossing them into the air (basic saber PA). ...

So if I toss an enemy in the air with a saber, does that mean I can shoot it while it's up there?

Carlo210
Jul 22, 2006, 01:01 AM
It's only up there for a split second...

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 22, 2006, 01:07 AM
Bah! I'll just shoot it when it lands then. With a shotgun. Surely a point-blank shot with one of those would be devastating, right?

Lyrise
Jul 22, 2006, 01:35 AM
On 2006-07-21 22:59, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
So if I toss an enemy in the air with a saber, does that mean I can shoot it while it's up there?

Why would you want to do that? It's more fun to relaunch the monster (you can juggle it, send it up even higher than before), or send it flying 30 feet across the screen (in an act of payback).

But yeah, if you wanted to shoot it, I think you could get in about 1 shot before it hits the ground. Then fill it full of photon while it's still reeling on the ground.

DoctorShasta
Jul 22, 2006, 12:02 PM
And I might be wrong but isn't shotgun not that strong it just shoots lasers in different directions like the shots in PSO? or did they change it? I'm not so much looking forward to knocking people around as I am of the whole strafing idea it's my dream come true!

Carlo210
Jul 22, 2006, 12:03 PM
The shots only shoot 4 bullets this time and are weaker.
They seem faster than in pso, though.

DoctorShasta
Jul 22, 2006, 12:17 PM
Doesn't matter to me that much I never liked shots and now that they are slower than....hell no

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DoctorShasta on 2006-07-22 10:18 ]</font>