PDA

View Full Version : Will the japanese version have language options?

Phaze37
Jul 19, 2006, 01:59 PM
Does anyone know if the japanese version of PSU will have an option to play the game with english text and subtitles? If it does, I'll preorder it as soon as it's out, and play the offline game until it's released here. It'll be nice to start an online character on day 1 and have the experience to know what I'm doing and how to go about raising him.

Ether
Jul 19, 2006, 02:57 PM
It probably won't have english in it. However we won't know for sure until the game comes out

Phaze37
Jul 19, 2006, 05:05 PM
That's weak. I was really hoping to get a head start on the game. I know that in the NA version if I go straight into online mode right away and raise my first character there, I'll end up making some sort of unfixable mistake that will permanently prevent my character from reaching his full potential. Like materials in PSO, for example. I'm sure most of us have made the mistake of using the wrong materials, and I'm sure most of our 1st PSO characters had terrible material usage. I know mine did, yet he was still my main character and I got him to level 186.

When the game comes out in north america I can either play offline first and make all of my newb mistakes on Ethan, but then fall very far behind my friends from PSO in the online game. Or I can go straight into online mode and make all of my newb mistakes on my primary character, like I did in PSO on GC. It would be nice if I could raise my first character offline on the japanese version so that I can be fully prepared to go online as soon as it comes to north america.

I'm not going to bother trying to trial-and-error my way through the japanese menus, so if there's no english language option I'm not going to import it. PSO had multiple languages, so it would be nice if PSU did too, but I understand that it's not as important in PSU because the regions are seperated.

DizzyDi
Jul 19, 2006, 05:11 PM
I'm sure they'll be some FAQs and stuff for the japanese version when it comes out though. For the menus and probably for character creation as well.

Sappharad
Jul 19, 2006, 06:05 PM
I would guess that it will be like the Japanese version of PSO Episode 3 was. The data will probably be there, but you won't be able to select it in-game. The PSU closed beta had code present to load the text in English, but the files weren't there to activate it.

The following languages are likely to be there, but not finished and/or selectable:
Spanish, Korean, Japanese, Italian, German, French, Chinese Traditional, Chinese Simplified, British English, Amercian English.

I have no idea what the deal is with two separate English translations, but all of the language related files referenced in the beta have versions that end in _AE and _BE.

Nitrowolf
Jul 19, 2006, 06:16 PM
I'm importing my version too. As not for the head start option, but just to join most of you guys on there, As I would of though the majority of this community will be importing. True, my japanese knowledge is next to none. So a language option will be preffered, Otherwise as said there will be plenty of translations available.

If not I'll still work my way gradually through the JP version. Just to play it, get used to everything before importing the US version too, As I think EU has a slight wait after US.

We can only hope, eh?

UltimateCarl
Jul 19, 2006, 06:23 PM
I don't see why they'd bother with separate versions of English, though I do know there's differences. Mainly we pronounce things differently, but we also spell some words differently. Ah well.

But, yeah, even though Sonic Team and Sega know that there will be many, many importers, they seem to hate America lately so I somehow doubt they'll add in a complete English language part, like Sappharad said.

Considering how diehard PS fans are, though, DizzyDi is also right. Probably within the first month of the game's release there'll be a translation FAQ online. Obviously it wont be finished for a while, but I'm sure all the character creation, stat stuff, basic items, and probably even fusion stuff will be finished very quickly. On that same note, it honestly wouldn't suprise me if someone worked on and released an English translation patch before the US release, especially if it works like stated above: the possibility is there and coded in, but it's just empty.

Ether
Jul 19, 2006, 06:41 PM
Why wait for the game to come out for translation guides

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=listarticles&secid=206

Rubesahl
Jul 19, 2006, 07:50 PM
-sighs- I'm pretty let down with the regions being separated :/ Anyways, I'll be importing (besides playing the game before http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif ) mainly to play the offline story mode http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif I rather hear the whole game in Japanese and understand some of it than be greeted with horrible English voice acting O_x I may dip into online mode a bit but since my US copy character will be my main, I won't put too much effort on my import character. Anyways, I'll be importing the special edition version from play-asia so that's a plus for me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

By the way, this is something I've been wondering, where was it stated that the servers will be region separated? Not that I doubt the fact, just plain curiosity.