PDA

View Full Version : About Missions...

Flamingo99
Jul 19, 2006, 06:03 PM
Are doing missions the only way for you and your party to go out and kill things? If so, do you need to complete the mission in order to keep everything you found?

This question is off topic... but what ever, are there still "normal", "heavy:", and "speciall" attacks like in the other psos?

Saner
Jul 19, 2006, 06:18 PM
missions are basically the same thing as PSO dungeons where you beat up enemies for EXP and items and you eventually fight a boss down the road.

heavy and specail attacks are gone.

there are now normal attacks and Photon Arts (special attacks, and each weapon type has its own selection of PAs you can obtain and equip for new and different special attacks!!!!!!!!!!!

so photon arts are really cooler than heavy and special attacks, cause they are as quick as normal attacks and customizable!!

also the attack system is improved for guns and staffs becuase now guns are not combo based anymore,

you can keep firing continuously instead of a 3-shot rhythm. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

plus the special bullets you can equip to them add freezing ice effects, and other status things on enemies.

the force weapons unleash techniques you equip to them, so they are really multi-purpose and make Forces more useful and flexible than before! since you can carry a couple of force weapons with different techniques for each and it's more useful and improved than before! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-07-19 16:19 ]</font>

Nitrowolf
Jul 19, 2006, 06:19 PM
As far as I'm aware attacks are still assigned to buttons. But I'm not too sure with the light, heavy etc as what with dual-wielding coming in, what would the button layout be for it? So I guess its one set attack, with criticals as normal hitting now and then.

With the missions, I really hope it isnt like that. Otherwise it will make the game very limited. I imagine you can gather a party in the lobby as nomal then go through the relevant level / zone depending on what planet you are on.

It will be very handy for a beta player to fill us in really on this one http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

[EDIT] Looks like Saner beat me to it, not by much though http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nitrowolf on 2006-07-19 16:20 ]</font>

UltimateCarl
Jul 19, 2006, 06:48 PM
I remember seeing a video of... Maybe at E3 or something? I dunno, Ethan was fighting the Dragon with a variety of weapons, but mostly a Fist type weapon. For some reason I'm wanting to think he still had light and heavy attacks, but I could be wrong. Anyhow, I know for a fact that he did some "charge" attacks where he'd hold a button or something and Ethan would slowly sorta "wind up" before starting a combo and deal extra damage on the first hit. Maybe my brain is confused and I'm thinking of that and there are no heavy hits... But, yeah, that's at least two types of attacks there for melee weapons.

And then the third type of attack Saner already went over. Photon Arts are sorta' like Heavy and Special attacks in one. They do a lot more damage than normal attacks, and can possibly add status effects, hit more enemies than your normal attacks, etc. They consume PP (a new bar that basically [roughly] replaces TP) but that's really the only downside.

For ranged weapons, I remember in that E3 vid he switched Ethan to a rifle and the guy recording asked if he could do a charge attack with that weapon and th guy said no. So, far as I know, guns have only one attack type: straight shooting. (Edit: I had my info wrong originally on bullet types XD)

Canes/Staves can "bind" a certain amount of Technics to them. Technics consume PP (It's more like TP in this way). They are basically Techs in PSO. Also, I'm not sure, but I assume that it's possible to perform melee attacks with canes and staves, though I highly doubt you could bind PAs to them. So, yeah, canes and staves have (MAYBE) one normal attack and then an additional amount of attacks as however many types of Technics there are.

As for your first question, I guess what you're getting at is, can you beam down to the world and explore freely with no particular objective and kill stuff randomly, then come back when you're done, sorta' like a normal MMORPG? Unfortunately, it doesn't look that way so far. But, hey, you'd need to ask someone who was in Beta. And, y'know, the actual game isn't out yet, sooo...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UltimateCarl on 2006-07-19 16:50 ]</font>

Shivore
Jul 19, 2006, 07:23 PM
As for the free roam, I thought is was said in an interview that you could, as long as you had completed the mission at least once before. Could be wrong about that though.

RFB
Jul 19, 2006, 07:24 PM
No normal, heavy and special attacks anymore.

Just attacks and photon arts, which arent just the same animation as a normal attack, but with a flashy tiny effect. Photon arts are full fledged combat skills, with it's very own animation, and for some of them, multiple hits.

So it's just 2 attacks with melee weapons, basic ones, and photon arts.

And about missions:

For the... think this makes 9th time or something like that. Forget the term "mission". And I mean it. Forget it.

Yes, you are in a "mission". But it's just like your good old Forest run, or Ruins run, or Seabed run. Except that in the end, you'll get some extra meseta and some job experience. You can join whenever you want, leave whenever you want. You can go wherever you want, as long as you meet the level requirements. You can do de same "mission" as many times as you wish. You dont have any goals, just get to the end, like in PSO.

"Missions" are just an excuse to get some extra meseta and job experience.

Flamingo99
Jul 19, 2006, 08:05 PM
Thanks everyone. That cleared up a few things.

mananas
Jul 19, 2006, 08:15 PM
Can someone tell me what exactly job skill is? Is it weapon specific?

F-o-x
Jul 19, 2006, 08:45 PM
Well is PSU we'll have two levels. A character level and a "job" or "class" level. I think we'll gain regualar old exp through killing normal monsters, but the only way to gain class exp is by finishing missions.

I'm not really sure what happens when your class levels up though.