PDA

View Full Version : What's the problem with PSU graphics on PS2???

scott1114
Jul 20, 2006, 05:06 PM
I don't understand why people just go around saying PS2 sucks for its graphics. There's not much difference with PC and XBOX360 versions. can anyone tell me what's the difference other than resolution?

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 20, 2006, 05:18 PM
We'll find out when the game's released. The 360 is of course a stronger system, but will Sonic Team make better graphics for the 360?
I will say that, for the PS2 maybe there'll be slowdown at certain parts with a lot of stuff going on , but hopefully not.
The PS2's graphics will probably be at least somewhat jagged, though not nearly as bad as certain launch games *coughevergracearmoredcoretwocough*. To be honest, I don't notice the jaggies that much, except in certain cases. Maybe I'll notice when I start keeping my eyes on 360 graphics.

Rubesahl
Jul 20, 2006, 05:20 PM
Jaggy Edges >_> lower resolution textures http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I'll stick to PC ^__^

Ether
Jul 20, 2006, 05:22 PM
Oh god not another console war thread

scott1114
Jul 20, 2006, 05:34 PM
Nope don't worry I just made created this thread in order to tell people who think that the lower resolution textures won't be affecting that much PS2 players. Most people that own a PS2 don't know about this feature but in the options you can change textures between standard and smooth. When the resolution is low you can activate smooth textures for better results, but when the resolution is a bit higher you get foggy graphics with standard. So, if you don't know this yet and you are planning on playing PSU on PS2, I suggest you try that once you get the game. It makes the PS1 games look less ugly than they are, so maybe it will just work the same with PSU.

DoctorShasta
Jul 20, 2006, 06:01 PM
Yea I think I'll be getting the ps2 so thanks for the advice scott http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Flamingo99
Jul 20, 2006, 06:06 PM
All I can see different are jagged edges like Rubesahl said. They really don't matter much to me. My bro uses our PC 24/7 because he's addicted to FFXI, so ill just get it for the Ps2. This game was made for the Ps2 right? So all 360 and PC will get are better graphics. Regardless of how pretty the game looks, its still the same game. I think people forget about that.

qoxolg
Jul 20, 2006, 06:13 PM
On 2006-07-20 15:06, scott1114 wrote:
I don't understand why people just go around saying PS2 sucks for its graphics. There's not much difference with PC and XBOX360 versions. can anyone tell me what's the difference other than resolution?

none, and thats why the "big blabla GFX war" started in the other topic, but I won't ruin your topic here http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

On the PS2 the low-res texture are not a real problem (only when close range) thats because the PS2 still uses the old television resolutions, and because of the blurry'nes of normal TV's you won't see to much aliasing.

on the PC and 360 versions you will get a bit sharper textures, but as far as I've seen high res screens on the highest settings, textures were a bit blurry. so there is not a big improvement for the next-gen blablablabla...

example: you got a texture that is 256x256. On you TV with your PS2 that texture looks pretty sharp because its only ±640x480. if you see the same texture on your PC on 1280x1024 it will look very blurry.

I am not gonna say more about this, got the other topic for that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Shrevn
Jul 20, 2006, 06:59 PM
PC version for me hands down my ps2 is only to play rpgs and sports games http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Rubesahl
Jul 20, 2006, 07:06 PM
I think the problem may also be that the next-gen consoles are just around the corner. With the 360 already released, PS3 and Wii on the horizon, and before that was Doom 3 >_> its kinda discouraging to see PSU not taking advantage of it. I honestly don't mind much, since I know they'll do a good job and it'll look great but I would still like to see it at its best since I like the game so much. I have nothing against anyone who picks PS2 : P Everytime I suggest the PC version is because I'm judging the situation from my own POV. Everyone is free to pick whatever godamn system they want. For some, they play PC games more than computer games and like being around the computer more than their consoles. Even with a 360 controller on the computer it is not the same thing since it has to do with just about everything around the area (seating, display, sharing the PC, etc) so I think there's much more to it than graphics : P

Anyways, picking the PS2 as an option does not suck, it sucks if you think it sucks but other people just preffer the trade-off on the graphics with other things. My sister for example would have to get the PS2 version since her PC isn't up to date, so I think its a great option for people who mainly play console games and in the end would reach a bigger audience http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif My two cents http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Carlo210
Jul 20, 2006, 07:16 PM
On 2006-07-20 16:13, qoxolg wrote:
example: you got a texture that is 256x256. On you TV with your PS2 that texture looks pretty sharp because its only ±640x480. if you see the same texture on your PC on 1280x1024 it will look very blurry.

I am not gonna say more about this, got the other topic for that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

PS2 can't even do 640x480.
Edit: Oh, I just noticed you put ±.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Carlo210 on 2006-07-20 17:16 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Jul 20, 2006, 08:31 PM
All I'm going to say is that I believe the PS2 had close to the worst graphics of the last generation. While it could push more polygons and effects than the Dreamcast - it couldn't (or rarely ever did) produce textures and colors which were as vibrant, clean, and appealing as the DC. PS2's graphics always seemed to have a bit of a "Dirty" and faded look to them.

I'm not too hung up on graphics... and I will be buying the PS2 version (along with the X360 version) if the servers stay seperated.

Carlo210
Jul 20, 2006, 08:33 PM
Sinue, you hit the nail on the head.

Saner
Jul 20, 2006, 11:03 PM
On 2006-07-20 18:31, Sinue_v2 wrote:
All I'm going to say is that I believe the PS2 had close to the worst graphics of the last generation. While it could push more polygons and effects than the Dreamcast - it couldn't (or rarely ever did) produce textures and colors which were as vibrant, clean, and appealing as the DC. PS2's graphics always seemed to have a bit of a "Dirty" and faded look to them.

I'm not too hung up on graphics... and I will be buying the PS2 version (along with the X360 version) if the servers stay seperated.

that's not true! PS2 has many beautiful games!

even while PC gamers boast about how much better their version of Final Fantasy XI looks compared to the PS2 version, the PS2 version is still beautiful and well done!!!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/cone.gif

and the claims that some people say about the PS2 version will have 'slowdown and all these downgrades', is COMPLETELY uneducated criticism! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/burger.gif

Sinue_v2
Jul 20, 2006, 11:24 PM
I can pretty much guantee the PS2 will have framerate issues on PSU when the screen gets overloaded with effects.

FFXI had a lot of framerate issues itself.. and it doesn't look nearly as good as PSU does.

Mitri
Jul 21, 2006, 01:11 AM
Most people that own a PS2 don't know about this feature but in the options you can change textures between standard and smooth. When the resolution is low you can activate smooth textures for better results, but when the resolution is a bit higher you get foggy graphics with standard.

that feature isn't for ps2. its for the ps1 games. that's what the fast spin feature is for also. it shortens load times sometimes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mitri on 2006-07-20 23:13 ]</font>

Sev
Jul 21, 2006, 01:21 AM
FFXI looks bad to me on PS2. Because I'm used to a Windowed PC version. The Windowed PC version, looks better then the fullscreen version of FFXI to start, so it's almost loads better then the PS2. I'm not saying that the PS2 has no good looking games because that's basically a lie. There's some good lookin PS2 games out there, and those who own a PS2 and get this game should be more then satisfied.

In the end, all that matters is whether or not your satisfied. Don't worry about what other people are saying about the version or the game for that matter... If you enjoy it, who the hell cares?

Tuxedose
Jul 21, 2006, 05:54 AM
that's not true! PS2 has many beautiful games!

even while PC gamers boast about how much better their version of Final Fantasy XI looks compared to the PS2 version, the PS2 version is still beautiful and well done!!!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/cone.gif

and the claims that some people say about the PS2 version will have 'slowdown and all these downgrades', is COMPLETELY uneducated criticism! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/burger.gif

Thats so true Saner!
The ps2 will handle psu much better than people think.

qoxolg
Jul 21, 2006, 05:55 AM
The big problem is just the huge GAP between the current-gen and next-gen. the difference between PSX and PS2 was not as big as the difference now between PS2 and 360. The gap is huge.

First we had the current gen PS2, GC and XBOX

Then the PC was slowly going ahead of the consoles with games like doom3 and Far Cry that suddenly blew the Shader Models into the world.

Now the 360 arrived blowing away anything I ever seen/played before, it even makes doom3 and quake 4 look a bit old. And the games will get better and better, and the PS3 will come as well and the PC won't stay behind.

I've already said it before: the biggest problem is that once you're used to the 360 graphics, anything else will look old and dated. but since most people never played enough with a next-gen console on a HD screen they don't know better than they have seen.

Let's say it like this: the abilities of the PS2 can be compared to the Unreal (1.0) Tournament Classic engine
The XBOX was alot more advanced was able to use the Unreal Tournament 2003 (2.0) engine which was already a big leap forward from the old UT engine
now the UT2007 (3.0) engine is coming for the nextgen which is again a big leap forward.

For its generation PS2 was a good console with good games but just the worst graphics, but thats not a bad thing at all... if you are happy with the graphics of the PS2 then thats okay, I won't hate you just because I am a graphics geek http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Pheromone
Jul 21, 2006, 06:59 AM
the HUD is honking huge... there

scott1114
Jul 21, 2006, 08:26 AM
On 2006-07-20 23:11, Mitri wrote:

Most people that own a PS2 don't know about this feature but in the options you can change textures between standard and smooth. When the resolution is low you can activate smooth textures for better results, but when the resolution is a bit higher you get foggy graphics with standard.

that feature isn't for ps2. its for the ps1 games. that's what the fast spin feature is for also. it shortens load times sometimes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mitri on 2006-07-20 23:13 ]</font>

Do you at least have a PS2?

Ryna
Jul 21, 2006, 08:54 AM
The primary reason I won't be playing this game much on PS2 is because of the resolution. The online HUD takes up a significant portion of the screen at low resolutions. Also, it'll be easier to take screenshots and make videos if I play the PC version.

Cruisectrl
Jul 21, 2006, 10:38 AM
I'll be happy if the graphics are only as good as pso. It's all about gameplay. It's not like "see that blurry pixel area around that mountain in the back over there... yea a little to the left... there you go! Yea fuck this game it sucks" Since when did graphics even matter that much anyways. None of you had problems with PSO and obviously it will be better than that so cool out a bit, yea?

CherryLunar
Jul 21, 2006, 11:00 AM
Amen. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously though. I think it would be best to complain about the graphics... AFTER the game comes out.

Carlo210
Jul 21, 2006, 12:13 PM
Uh... graphics matter because we are payng 80$ for a new game. Graphics are immersive and increase the presentation quality of the game, one of the many things people should expect out of things they pay a lot for.
Anywho, if the game just has 'higher res' graphics than the ps2 on the Xbox 360, the game better friggin run at 60fps.

scott1114
Jul 21, 2006, 12:44 PM
On 2006-07-21 06:54, Ryna wrote:
The primary reason I won't be playing this game much on PS2 is because of the resolution. The online HUD takes up a significant portion of the screen at low resolutions. Also, it'll be easier to take screenshots and make videos if I play the PC version.

I agree with that. Taking screenshots on PS2 is kinda hard......

Parn
Jul 21, 2006, 12:51 PM
On 2006-07-21 10:13, Carlo210 wrote:
Anywho, if the game just has 'higher res' graphics than the ps2 on the Xbox 360, the game better friggin run at 60fps.
I'm sure it will. My PC is inferior to the Xbox 360's hardware, and I ran 60 FPS with the PSU beta. The animation quality is really nice.

qoxolg
Jul 21, 2006, 03:24 PM
a 360 got a triple CPU and an ATI videocard that is still not out on PC (not sure though).. sooo.. yeah, 60FPS. hell, the 360 could even emulate the whole PS2 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Cruisectrl
Jul 21, 2006, 04:46 PM
Uh... graphics matter because we are payng 80$ for a new game. Graphics are immersive and increase the presentation quality of the game, one of the many things people should expect out of things they pay a lot for.

you payed 80 $ for PSO and i'm gonna assume you did. No one had problems with that. I think its safe to just wait for the game to come out and stop friggen making new topics about being so freikin concered!

Pure-chan
Jul 21, 2006, 05:27 PM
Does anyone have footage of PSU from E3 that we could view as a comparrison between ps2 and PC? Most of the accounts I've read from people that attended E3 said that there was a clear difference in appearance between PC and PS2. If buying PSU for PS2, the main factors to consider would likely be slowdown, choppiness and fog/pop-up/drawline issues. ...Seabeds, anyone? Additionally, the HUD may be a bit cumbersome for some people's tastes, too (especially on 6 person teams).

As far as the comfort of using a PS2 controller vs playing at a PC -- you can convert your PS2 controller to USB for $10. Lik-Sang FTW.

Sev
Jul 21, 2006, 05:39 PM
Who's paying $80 for PSU? Over time most definitely, but outright? Did I miss something?

Anyway, the whole point is that the graphics really aren't that bad. There's absolutely nothing wrong with them, you just simply want more. Too bad though, you'll just have to settle with what ST gives ya. I can't believe some peoples standards these days, the game looks great, I don't see why people think otherwise.

And no, "Because it could look better" isn't any damn reason to not like how it looks now. Alot of games could look better but they don't, and everyone deals with it.

scott1114
Jul 21, 2006, 05:55 PM
On 2006-07-21 14:46, Cruisectrl wrote:

I think its safe to just wait for the game to come out and stop friggen making new topics about being so freikin concered!

It burns time while waiting for PSU lol

Carlo210
Jul 21, 2006, 08:13 PM
On 2006-07-21 14:46, Cruisectrl wrote:

you payed 80 $ for PSO and i'm gonna assume you did. No one had problems with that. I think its safe to just wait for the game to come out and stop friggen making new topics about being so freikin concered!

People did have problems with it. Maybe not the initial price, but many people were unwilling to pay 8 dollars a month to play something that didn't look as if it was worth it.

Anywho, who cares.

I just hope psu on the 360 runs at a very smooth 60 fps since it is somewhat lacking in the visual presentation dept.

Mitri
Jul 21, 2006, 08:19 PM

over the course of this gen i have owned 4 ps2's. 3 big ones and 1 small.

The-King
Jul 21, 2006, 08:57 PM
On 2006-07-20 16:01, DoctorShasta wrote:
Yea I think I'll be getting the ps2 so thanks for the advice scott http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Second

kazuma56
Jul 21, 2006, 11:02 PM
I wonder why nobody asked that question to the producer yet, will the PS2 version have "built-in" snapshot ability like the DC/GC ones or not? seeing as most (if not all) people the play PS2 games online own a USB keyboard wouldn't it be "easier" then before just to have an option (button config) to remove the HUD and press print-screen to take a snap?

scott1114
Jul 22, 2006, 09:30 AM
On 2006-07-21 18:19, Mitri wrote:

over the course of this gen i have owned 4 ps2's. 3 big ones and 1 small.

4 PS2s ?! How did you manage to break 3 of em?

DoctorShasta
Jul 22, 2006, 11:54 AM
And don't say disc read error because that is easy to fix I've had my ps2 for as long as its been out gotten like 4 disc read errors but fixed it everytime. but dang 4 ps2s? you could've gotten another console with that money

Carlo210
Jul 22, 2006, 11:57 AM
PS2's break pretty easily. It's not like they're gonna break down out of nowhere, but their laser is extremely sensitive. Mine broke a year before the 360 came out. I sold it when I got my 360.

Mitri
Jul 22, 2006, 05:17 PM
4 PS2s ?! How did you manage to break 3 of em?

i didn't break any of them. there was nothing wrong with them. i sold my first to buy a gamecube(horrible mistake), then i bought another. and i sold that because i my family bought me the one with the network adaptor packaged thinking that it was something new. then i sold that one to buy the small one. gamestop lived off me.

Carlo210
Jul 22, 2006, 05:18 PM
Funny. I sold my gamecube to buy a ps2. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif