PDA

View Full Version : Controls?

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 20, 2006, 11:26 PM
To those who have played the beta:

-What is the default control scheme?
-Is it possible to customize the controls? If so, how deepy can you customize them?
-Does PSU have built-in controller support, or is JoytoKey required?
-How well does the analog control work? Will varying degrees of pressure affect your speed of movement or camera movement?
-Is it possible to circle-strafe around enemies without using the lock-on system? (For that matter, can you simply remove the lock-on function and replace it with a more useful function?)

Kyuu
Jul 20, 2006, 11:49 PM
While I haven't played the beta, I can still answer a few of your questions.

- Yes, you can customize the controls. I'm not sure what you mean by "how deeply."
- Yes, PSU has built-in controller support. Would be odd if it didn't, considering it's a console-game at heart.
- Yes, PSU supports analog joysticks, so pressing a direction lightly gives a different effect that jamming the stick all the way.
- How exactly COULD you circle-strafe an enemy without using the lock-on system? Doesn't really make any sense. And why would you remove the lock-on system? Even if you could, what could possibly "replace" it with? Unless you just mean assign the button another function, which would be unnecessary since you're not to be in need of more buttons. PSU is designed around using the PS2 and 360 controllers.

Carlo210
Jul 21, 2006, 12:07 AM
By HOW DEEPLY, he meant can you change the individual buttons or aare there just a limited amount of controller 'schemes'.

Kyuu
Jul 21, 2006, 02:28 AM
Well, unless they're taking a step backwards from PSO:BB, where you can assign whatever button you like to each function, it's pretty certain the PC version, at least, will have very "deep" customization. As for the console versions, it's hard to say. Perhaps when the PS2 trial version is released in Japan through the Famitsu contest, we'll get a bit more information about that sort of thing.

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 21, 2006, 03:00 AM
Carlo and Kyuu are right on the money on that. Deep customization is being able to change all the buttons including the analog sticks. Really deep customization involves adjusting analog sensitivity, but PSU probably wouldn't need that anyway even in sniper mode.

On 2006-07-20 21:49, Kyuu wrote:
- How exactly COULD you circle-strafe an enemy without using the lock-on system? Doesn't really make any sense. And why would you remove the lock-on system? Even if you could, what could possibly "replace" it with? Unless you just mean assign the button another function, which would be unnecessary since you're not to be in need of more buttons. PSU is designed around using the PS2 and 360 controllers.

How could I circlestrafe without locking on? Well PSU seems to have "absolute" movement controls (hold left to face and move toward the left of the screen) so circle strafing without lock-on looks to be aesthetically impossible, but uncecessary anyway. You should still be able to run around in circles while manually keeping the camera oriented toward the enemy. This is of course if the controls allow it, and whether or not it'll even be necessary or useful.
But if I'm mistaken and there is "relative" control (like in an FPS) then it's simply a matter of sidestepping and turning at the same time. (unless it's like Metroid Prime where sidesteping and turning simultaneously is impossible due to shoddy controls)

Why would I remove the lock-on system? It's a matter of preference that's been with me since I saw the Z-Targeting in Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It significantly reduces the fun and the skill requirement of fighting enemies, especially some of the more maneuverable ones. Whoever can't keep enemies in their sights themselves deserves to be flanked or hit in the back. Whoever needs to lock on to something to point their gun at it shouldn't handle a gun.

Apart from this, I've found lock-on to sometimes be downright impractical. Sometimes it causes projectile wepaons to not properly lead moving targets. When fighting multiple opponents, there's the need to wrestle with the targeting system to select the target you want, and it can become harder to look at your surroundings and evade attacks that come from other enemies from different angles. I can't think of other problems, but those should be enough trouble anyway if the feeling of being babysat by the magic camera isn't already bad enough.

What can I replace the lock-on system with? ANYTHING. Another item to use, another attack to pelt enemies with, a chat shortcut or emote... To me, a lock-on button is the same as having one less button to use.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2006-07-21 01:04 ]</font>

Carlo210
Jul 21, 2006, 12:30 PM
I don't mind lock on that much. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif