PDA

View Full Version : Beta players: What's the quick weapon switch like?

Phaze37
Jul 21, 2006, 03:22 AM
One of my favourite features in PSO was the ability to switch weapons on the fly. I switch weapons at almost any opportunity. I know PSU keeps that feature, but in the videos I've seen of a character switching weapons, he stops moving while he switches. Is it possible to keep moving with the left analog stick while scrolling the list with the right analog stick like in PSO? Is switching weps as easy as it was in PSO?

EnixBelmont
Jul 21, 2006, 04:14 AM
Seems easier than PSO, even. There is a little icon in the corner which you can switch weapons with. I'm not sure about buttons, but I assume say using the right analog lets you scroll through them. Very simple, anyhow....

hypersaxon
Jul 21, 2006, 04:49 AM
I'd guess that the d-pad would be used for weapon switching and item usage, and the right thumbstick would be used to rotate the camera. There IS a rotating camera this time, right Sonic Team?!

Phaze37
Jul 21, 2006, 04:55 AM
Easier is good, but to me it's important to be able to move while switching.

Castlevania is one of my all-time favourite series. *votes for castlevania* I was thinking of making my own Belmont named Luthor Belmont as my 2nd or 3rd character but I guess you were probably planning that already. The Belmont bloodline must live on!

This game needs photon whips http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

EnixBelmont
Jul 21, 2006, 04:59 AM
Hell yeah. Going to have 2 castlevania based characters. Enix Belmont and Enix Belnades for my force http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

And yeah, D-pad would make sense. I think they stopped moving because they were playing the PC version, abnd the game is clearly not designed with a keyboard in mind.

Pheromone
Jul 21, 2006, 06:30 AM
On 2006-07-21 02:59, EnixBelmont wrote:
Hell yeah. Going to have 2 castlevania based characters. Enix Belmont and Enix Belnades for my force http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

And yeah, D-pad would make sense. I think they stopped moving because they were playing the PC version, abnd the game is clearly not designed with a keyboard in mind.

Everyone, go over to gamefaqs.com and vote castlevania. It has more games(compared to KH's 2) and is far more classic. And you'd be making me happy XD

KH has 3 games..... please know something before you try to make a point,,, it really is quite humiliating

Ryna
Jul 21, 2006, 07:03 AM
I wrote up a description of the Action Palette here:
http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2372#Palette

I like the new quick-switch method because it integrates well into the battle system. You can easily change between weapon sets and healing items.

Kano-Okami
Jul 21, 2006, 08:19 AM
>_>;; To get back on topic
The action palette looks useful, although I wish the link to the photon element was fixed
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

EnixBelmont
Jul 21, 2006, 09:11 AM
Yeah, looks awesome. So you can move while switching, right?

Ryna
Jul 21, 2006, 09:24 AM
On 2006-07-21 07:11, EnixBelmont wrote:
Yeah, looks awesome. So you can move while switching, right?

You can move while changing weapons. It can be a little bit tricky to do if you are just using the keyboard controls.

EnixBelmont
Jul 21, 2006, 09:28 AM
I figured that was the case. But I'll be using a controller, so oh well http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Inazuma
Jul 21, 2006, 10:17 AM
yes you can change weps while walking. if i remember my controls correctly, it was something like...

id press R2 and triangle to bring up the quick menu.
and then i could use all 4 of the top shoulder buttons to move up/down/left/right thru the quick weapon and item menus.

even tho i normally had those shoulder buttons set to other actions such as side step and whatnot, once the quick menu was brought up, they would let me move around inside of it.

and in case you couldnt tell, i was using a ps2 controller. on a controller w/ 2 shoulder buttons or the keyboard it mite be tough to change weps while walking.

DoctorShasta
Jul 21, 2006, 01:58 PM
I did a lot of weapon switching too so this is good to hear

Phaze37
Jul 21, 2006, 03:03 PM
R2 and Triangle to bring up the menu sounds good, that's much like it is in PSO. But navigating the menu with the shoulder buttons doesn't sound so good. Is it also possible to navigate the menu with the right analog stick as well? Using the shoulder buttons to navigate sounds OK but I'd much rather use the right analog stick. Though if we can't use the right analog stick because it does something very useful like maybe rotate the camera then I can live with it.

The-King
Jul 21, 2006, 03:06 PM
On 2006-07-21 02:49, hypersaxon wrote:
I'd guess that the d-pad would be used for weapon switching and item usage, and the right thumbstick would be used to rotate the camera. There IS a rotating camera this time, right Sonic Team?!

Calm down man...its not the end of the world, if theres no rotating camera, if its the same camera system from PSO

Ryna
Jul 21, 2006, 03:12 PM
On 2006-07-21 13:06, The-King wrote:

On 2006-07-21 02:49, hypersaxon wrote:

Calm down man...its not the end of the world, if theres no rotating camera, if its the same camera system from PSO

You can rotate the camera. I forget what the default controls for that function was, but you can definitely do it.

Inazuma
Jul 21, 2006, 03:29 PM
yea you really want to have your camera set to the right analog stick b/c you can control exactly how it moves. btw, i also set my first person view button to R3, so the right analog stick did everything camera related. it worked really well.

Lyrise
Jul 21, 2006, 03:44 PM
On 2006-07-21 13:29, Inazuma wrote:
yea you really want to have your camera set to the right analog stick b/c you can control exactly how it moves. btw, i also set my first person view button to R3, so the right analog stick did everything camera related. it worked really well.

Agreed.

If people must use the default controls, I recommend a few minor changes as it gets really annoying to work with just the defaults. L3 is default for chat log, this is a terrible place to put it, since your L stick is the control. Nothing more annoying than moving, slipping up and opening your log. I suggest L3 gets blanked, put the chat log on your select button. Select is default for snipe mode, put this on your R3, since R3 has nothing else on it, and sniping is already associated with your camera already.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lyrise on 2006-07-21 13:45 ]</font>

hypersaxon
Jul 21, 2006, 05:01 PM
The reason I brought up the ability to actually control the camera is, it was the one major thing that reviewers criticized the original PSO (and a lot of other Sega games that relied on a camera-centering button like Jet Grind Radio). I'm not saying it's a bad feature, in fact I hope it stays in the game since there will be times where you'd want to quickly center the camera. They could probably assign it to the Right Analog press-in command, so you can just press in on the stick and it'll center, thus keeping all your camera controls on one stick. That way if you're stuck in a corner and just need to change the angle slightly, you can use the stick instead of centering the camera and getting a crappy camera angle. And if you're in a boss battle and need to quickly turn the camera, you can just click in on it.

The-King
Jul 21, 2006, 05:21 PM
I hope we can still do the PSO camera thing

Emrald
Jul 22, 2006, 05:14 PM
If it was anything like PSO BB on the keyboard (and i'm sure keyboard controls will be like that) you could just do what I did...get to a safe place and do everything quickly like I did ^_^

Kyuu
Jul 22, 2006, 05:48 PM
Just to let it be known... keyboard controls don't work nearly as well as a controller for PSO/PSU. It's just the way it's made. I don't know how people can get along without an analog joystick. o_0 Mapping anything to the keyboard is even less necessary in PSU as there are no PBs to get in your way, and even forces can only cast spells bound to the weapon they're using. With four spells available at a time maximum (from staves), and four face buttons...

Emrald
Jul 22, 2006, 05:49 PM
Hmmm....Maybe I'll buy a controler for my PSU gaming...or maybe I'll just wait til i get an xbox360 and use that....

Phaze37
Jul 22, 2006, 06:14 PM
You'll want both a controller and keyboard to play this game, regardless of what system you plan to play it on. PC users, buy a gamepad. Console users, buy a keyboard.

Sgt_Shligger
Jul 22, 2006, 06:23 PM
So the movement controls worked something like in PSO? What I mean is that the camera wasn't always centered... and you'd straighten view with an align button? Was it better to use the align button or use the manual camera rotation?

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 23, 2006, 03:47 AM
PSO only had an align button. Aside from that, the camera automatically moved quite often. It really sucked. Nothing like having to wrestle with the camera to be able to quickly hit enemies so I can quickly shoot them after relocating myself. I've actually run into several Megid attacks just because the camera moved and altered the way I ran.

In PSU, there's a full-manual camera rotation function, and probably no more camera auto-movement. It's good to use the align button a lot of times for convenience's sake, but the full camera control is usually better for combat, especially if you need to move around a lot.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2006-07-23 01:51 ]</font>

Carlo210
Jul 23, 2006, 08:49 AM
For rangers, the auto-center is vital. I mean, you run away from a mob, then point towards them and autocenter.

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 23, 2006, 10:57 PM
With the new controls, the camera center button might not be as vital as it was in PSO. Now you can point yourself at the enemy and then switch to first-person mode, which is like camera centering with a closer look. Or, you can move the camera around while you run away from mobs so you can already have a clear shot by the time you want to point yourself at them.I predict these methods to be far more effective than using camera center for hit-and-run maneuver. (This probably depends on player rpeference though)

Carlo210
Jul 23, 2006, 11:05 PM
True,

Post count + 1

Me FTW

Saner
Jul 24, 2006, 12:39 AM
the camera center button is also used to circle strafe around your target.

I think strafing movement can be done by holding that camera center button down.

but ya. HOORAY FOR MANUAL CAMERA CONTROL! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif That's what the right analog stick is best for.

DraginHikari
Jul 24, 2006, 04:11 AM
In my opinion there only so many uses for the right analog stick anyway http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

MAGNUShunter
Jul 24, 2006, 06:08 PM
This is what I bought for FFXI.
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2606/logitechps2tv9.th.jpg (http://img97.imageshack.us/my.php?image=logitechps2tv9.jpg)
It's by logitech and is a ps2/usb keyboard in one. The keyboard unlocks and slides out if you want to use it separately.
It's great. I would totally recommend it for ps2 players of PSU.
I need to see if they'll make one for 360 now.

AvianKaitos
Jul 24, 2006, 09:55 PM
MAGNUShunter, that's the same kb i bought for FFXI too http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif, it is a great product and I plan on using it for PSU. Reminds me of the GC kb built specifically for pso. keyboard controllers are great, no need to juggle between keyboard and controller, it's all right there.

Kyuu
Jul 24, 2006, 10:11 PM
Meh, it's alright if you like that sort of thing. I personally find it rather irritating and uncomfortable to hold your hands so far apart and in the forced position from the fact that the keyboard has to be propped on a desk (or your knees, or the ground) to use the joypad controls, not to mention that you have to hold them up at keyboard level.

Whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

MAGNUShunter
Jul 24, 2006, 10:41 PM
The keyboard is not a regular sized one but a mini, like for a laptop. Trust me, if you can find it, it works great. Very smooth and ergonomic. It's by Logitech for cryin out loud! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif After about 2min it will feel totally natural. Serious.