PDA

View Full Version : The PSU article in PLAY

AzureBlaze
Jul 22, 2006, 05:37 PM
Ok so I read that article in PLAY.
I'd nagged about it earlier and Shidoshi said it was out, and indeed it is so. But Shidoshi only mentioned what didn't get answered. Since it seems no one's on it yet, I'll answer what does.

Ok most exciting news for me...
EXPERT LEVEL
There was an "expert level" of some sort mentioned on here where you could master TWO things. Such as HUing and FOing. The asker was like "I'll be devastated if I can't help my team with a bit o' the FO stuff and be a HU at the same time like I was on PSO" So his answer to that was to reveal that you can indeed develop into some kind of HUFO or RAHU or w/e once you're good enough. I know lots of people will find this to be excellent news.

ONLINE EXCLUSIVES
The asker said that if you play offline, won't that spoil all of online so there's no surprises to see with your friends?
The answer to this one is there's online exclusive maps, monsters and weps. We all suspected this one but it's nice to confirm it with a fact.

Super Ethan
It is confirmed that Ethan is some kind of superchar, and playing as him is way diff then your own guy. He basically says Ethan is like a class-switcher type dude who isn't held to the rules of the rest of the game weps/techs/etc wise so...offline WILL be a diff experience for you with him.

Switching Consoles
They said "can you use PC OR PS2 and then switch between 'em to play" This was a topic on the 2nd page of here, but this article gives you hardcore confirmation of YES if the game is installed on a PC and you started on a PS2 you can surely switch. **Edit** this pretains to the online char aspect of the game. Like if you made your online guy, played a while at your house on a PS2 and then you had to go to college or something that only had a PC there, so you bought the PSU PC disk, and installed it, you could just pick up your guy from there and keep going.

XBOX
Bah once again. They don't know. Everything regarding Xbox is like "IDK IDK IDK" even on here like 5 seconds from the release. It's like "Is xbox gonna be linked" and then 'oh...we dont know..at this time...' This is frusterating.

Is it related to PS or PSO is it a prequel/sequel/w/e?
NO. Regis, the final answer is PSU has nothing to do with any other PS game or PSO game. He said the names of stuff are little winks and nods to people who played them but it is in no way the continuity. This keeps coming up with speculators and all, so it's good to have it in print.

Is there an ice board?
No. Ice is an element, but there's no ice planet or anything like that.

Can you do online vehicles?
Yes. But we already knew that.

USA and JP are seperate, that is sad why why why?
Again they're spouting the plot thing.
JP plot is like 2mo ahead of USA plot so as not to ruin it they have..."No plans to link the servers AT THIS TIME"

*The caps there are really encourageing to me. This means that they *could* do it later on if they want to. And that maybe they will, once everything gets fairly settled plotwise.

*I am also of the opinion that 'plot' is a thin excuse for them hating the rest of the world and not want it "filthing up their JP paradise". If they do join them later, it would prove me gratefully wrong.

*Once again EU gets skrood with this question. Is EU and USA linked? Asker never asked or got ignored because they still don't know.

What about Musk Cats? I wanna be a Musk Cat?
Utter. Waste. Of. Question.
Ok ok I'm an android that's an opinion I have...but if Magic Fairy Kitten was a race on here we'd know by now.
He goes on to say Beast is catish in some ways and that inserting a non-anthro alien cat race is 'interesting'. Which is a way to say 'ain't happenin' this game'. (The game is like 1mo from JP release, they can't do anything else at this point, no matter WHAT it is)
I hope I'm not harsh but where was the 10 lb. lop-ear rabbit race in Halo? They could totally hold their own against Flood and mesh perfectly with the plot of Halo in online combat mode.

A Better Plot Promise
What I gather is that by playing offline mode (they reeeely want you to do this first) you can learn about the people, ways, politics etc. of the Gural system, and totally immerse yourself in that culture, truly becoming a character in that world. This is utter awesomeness for Fanfic/fanartists. The plot being as solid as it is shouldn't leave everyone grasping at straws, but we also already knew this...just good to hear it.

Return of the Wep!
It IS confirmed that some famous weps/items will be making a comeback for PSU. Spacifically "the ones fans have been clamoring for". I have no idea what these are because only JPs can clamor and have anyone hear it. Anything else I say is speculation and that's not my purpose here. But expect to see upgrades of familiar cool items.

I think this was it of the new/newish stuff on the interview. The article has some cool screens and your usual ethan art, but I'd say take a look, if just to see it for yourself. It's good to have something to report on again...

- -
Edit: missing title

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2006-07-22 16:28 ]</font>

Ether
Jul 22, 2006, 05:41 PM
On 2006-07-22 15:37, AzureBlaze wrote:

EXPERT LEVEL
There was an "expert level" of some sort mentioned on here where you could master TWO things. Such as HUing and FOing. The asker was like "I'll be devastated if I can't help my team with a bit o' the FO stuff and be a HU at the same time like I was on PSO" So his answer to that was to reveal that you can indeed develop into some kind of HUFO or RAHU or w/e once you're good enough. I know lots of people will find this to be excellent news.

OMG

I really hope they can keep this balanced with so few classes. Seems like everyone will just end up as a HU/FO, RA/FO, or FO/HU

Then again, this will take the pressure off forces to be pure healers, meaning they can nuke more, so I guess its all good. Newman hunters can rejoice too

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ether on 2006-07-22 15:43 ]</font>

Carlo210
Jul 22, 2006, 05:43 PM
EEK! Rager + Force would've been utter pwnage, but not as a CAST! Argh! W..wait...
A RAHUCAST! YES! Ownage!111one!!eleven11!

Kyuu
Jul 22, 2006, 05:49 PM
I'll wait until I see the interview for myself, as the way AzureBlaze puts it is a tad confusing (no offense), and that's an awfully big bombshell.

Carlo210
Jul 22, 2006, 05:51 PM
It's also pretty stupid and throws the balance of their current system into oblivion.

Emrald
Jul 22, 2006, 05:55 PM
....I'd say what you do is...Put some FMA style alchemy in the game >>...Okay seirously on the topic...

I agree....it is kind of a big bombshell...though a HUFO would be like the ultimate....or a HUFORA...hey...htat sounds funny...HUFORA

Kers
Jul 22, 2006, 06:08 PM
I think you still can't play two classes at once.

You can indeed develop into some kind of HUFO or RAHU or w/e once you're good enough."

This quote is restating that you can level up Photon Abilities/Techniques in different jobs by switching jobs.

So, being a HU/FO just means you have Photon Abilities/Techniques of each job, but not at the same time.

Emrald
Jul 22, 2006, 06:09 PM
....I think I get it....I THINK....

Phaze37
Jul 22, 2006, 06:10 PM
Screw techniques, I'll be a HU/RA, if it ends up being possible.

Kers
Jul 22, 2006, 06:20 PM
On 2006-07-22 16:10, Phaze37 wrote:
Screw techniques, I'll be a HU/RA, if it ends up being possible.

You can, but I believe you can use only one of the jobs at a time.

NDkEwL
Jul 22, 2006, 06:21 PM
All right, this is all that I need clarification on...I am going to be a Newman Hunter, I will be able to Resta myself or Rafoie things, right?

Dhylec
Jul 22, 2006, 06:23 PM
Well, that's something nice to discuss about.
'Super Ethan' looks like the compensation for story player playing as only one character. Fair enough, I'd say. ;]

Oh, AzureBlaze, mind fixing your topic title?

Kers
Jul 22, 2006, 06:25 PM
On 2006-07-22 16:21, NDkEwL wrote:
All right, this is all that I need clarification on...I am going to be a Newman Hunter, I will be able to Resta myself or Rafoie things, right?

Well selecting Newman as your race doesn't make you a Force so, as a Hunter you would have Hunter abilities <Resta and Rafoie are Force techniques>.

Pure-chan
Jul 22, 2006, 06:46 PM
Before people start blowing the imbalance whistle too much, let's think about how many posts we've seen deriding specific race/class combinations, (ex. 'is there any purpose to making a HUnewearl/HUmar on PSU', or 'Androids, the best class this time around???'). We've all heard the arguements, 'nanoblasts and/or SUV's leave non-beast/droid players in the dust as a HU/RA/whatever. ...Now, with the possibility of players being able to earn the right to combine classes, all of a sudden having a HUmar/marl/newearl/newm doesn't look nearly as stupid, does it? Perhaps it would help make a more powerful FObeast as well, for all those upset with the loss of melee FO characters.

Furthermore, before we get too worked up, let's consider the following:

a) Firstly, -- and this is no knock on AzureBlaze -- but can someone please verify both the article and the interpretation of "Expert Level" dual-classes?

b) Let's look at the wording "Expert Level" briefly. I dunno about you guys, but to me, "Expert Level" suggests that players will need to work for a long time before they're swapping between spears and rifles, while buffing themselves with max shifta.

c) Who's to say that a secondary mastery doesn't include serious penalties, such as a reduced efficiancy - like how HU can use lvl 20 PA's, but only lv 10 bullets? Or, maybe leveling up a second class takes 1.5x the exp needed to level a main class? (Ow.)

d) I think I read that six weapons would be the maximum that one player was allowed to carry. With PP cost factored in, playing a hybrid character may end up taking quite a lot of balancing.

Personally, I think that if done correctly, adding the ability to expand on your character can only contribute to longer lasting and more challenging gameplay. I guess we'll see. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Saner
Jul 22, 2006, 06:52 PM
nothing to worry about http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

RFB
Jul 22, 2006, 07:04 PM
Although it's a pity they said nothing about XBox linkage... I think I'm having several orgasms reading this... @_@

The return of classic weapons, the winks to previous Phantasy Star games and the possibility of being a dual class, are all amazingly great news for me. Damn. Somebody build a time machine? please? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

AzureBlaze
Jul 22, 2006, 07:20 PM
What happened to the title?
It was originally called Magazine Article Facts HU+FO=yes or something like that. Where'd it go? Oh well that it turned into something else, I guess that's just as informative. And then my edit mark dissappeared. (I edited the text) Now I'm afraid to edit it or the whole thing might just up and delete!

Anyway yes someone needs to SCAN the magazine where the guy said about the double mastry classes or no one will believe it.

I too think that it's something for 'down the road' on your path to being 200 or whatever you end up as. They'll probably make it hard, as purechan says, with some higher degree of exp, or maybe only if you're really high level. What I read said to me that "its 2 jobs at once" with no switching involved. It should add depth to the play, make more goals for people to go for, and reward high lvls with something of substance rather than just tiny rises in atp or ata for your last 32hrs of lvling.

The annoying thing is, we won't find out exactly WHAT it means until someone actually does it. The reviews that come out before the game aren't going to say because there's no way to fathom the online component with a uber char on some "give a copy to the game mags so they review it upon/before release". They'd have to come out to the magazines and actually SAY "oh when you hit lvl #something you 100% get to do X AND Y". which they don't seem inclined to do.

Kers
Jul 22, 2006, 07:31 PM
I think we may have a misunderstanding of the ability to change jobs. If anyone can, would that someone please disprove the idea of leveling two jobs allows you to play as both of them at the same time at a higher level?

I don't want to get any hopes up because the current understanding of class configuration looks fine.

Sinue_v2
Jul 22, 2006, 07:42 PM
I'm happy just hearing the possibility of dual-class characters.

It's kinda hard to make a classic Numan tribute character when either their techs or their melee is removed. Rika and Nei were never high-end tech users - but they were useful enough to make it an irreplacable part of their character.

Also.. I like the role of Melee Force.. so I'll probably make another one of those down the road now that this is (hopefully) possible.

Dhylec
Jul 22, 2006, 07:53 PM
It was originally called Magazine Article Facts HU+FO=yes or something like that. Where'd it go? Oh well that it turned into something else, I guess that's just as informative. And then my edit mark dissappeared. (I edited the text) Now I'm afraid to edit it or the whole thing might just up and delete!
You might experienced a glitch. The title was just simply "The", so I clarified it a bit. Change it if you like.

DoctorShasta
Jul 22, 2006, 08:02 PM
a secondary mastery....I only hope it doesn't unbalance it, and if there was such a thing perhaps more people would be human since they wud be excellent for any combination.

The-King
Jul 22, 2006, 08:04 PM
On 2006-07-22 17:20, AzureBlaze wrote:

Anyway yes someone needs to SCAN the magazine where the guy said about the double mastry classes or no one will believe it.

I too think that it's something for 'down the road' on your path to being 200 or whatever you end up as. They'll probably make it hard, as purechan says, with some higher degree of exp, or maybe only if you're really high level. What I read said to me that "its 2 jobs at once" with no switching involved. It should add depth to the play, make more goals for people to go for, and reward high lvls with something of substance rather than just tiny rises in atp or ata for your last 32hrs of lvling.

The annoying thing is, we won't find out exactly WHAT it means until someone actually does it. The reviews that come out before the game aren't going to say because there's no way to fathom the online component with a uber char on some "give a copy to the game mags so they review it upon/before release". They'd have to come out to the magazines and actually SAY "oh when you hit lvl #something you 100% get to do X AND Y". which they don't seem inclined to do.

Well if you wanna makedamnsure then we can wait till the Japanese work out the bugs, and then well get a lot more information, mind you, like weapons, the Dual-Classes, and all of that

Pure-chan
Jul 22, 2006, 08:23 PM
I thought of this after my last post, but how stats are split up (or not split up) may change the effectiveness of a dual-class char as well.
Different scenarios could include 2 different set of specs being used as you swap between HU and FO, RA and HU, etc. Another possibilty is that the two different specs are changed to reflect the median average, effecting your ability in both roles.

Or... you could just be stuck with your initial stats. If so, you could theoretically use spells as a HUcast, but not in a manner that with the astounding benefits that either of the above stat redistribution options would offer... Leveling up your spells would be exceedingly hard with slower PP regen and much weaker damage. The only spells you would be likely to max out are SD and resta, which would be handy, but not as earthshattering as lv. 30 rafoie or grants being tossed about. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

NDkEwL
Jul 22, 2006, 08:40 PM
does anyone think its going to be anything like FFXI where there are subjobs at half the level of main job as the max level for sub until a level up...with rounding down?

The-King
Jul 22, 2006, 08:52 PM
On 2006-07-22 18:23, Pure-chan wrote:
I thought of this after my last post, but how stats are split up (or not split up) may change the effectiveness of a dual-class char as well.
Different scenarios could include 2 different set of specs being used as you swap between HU and FO, RA and HU, etc. Another possibilty is that the two different specs are changed to reflect the median average, effecting your ability in both roles.

Or... you could just be stuck with your initial stats. If so, you could theoretically use spells as a HUcast, but not in a manner that with the astounding benefits that either of the above stat redistribution options would offer... Leveling up your spells would be exceedingly hard with slower PP regen and much weaker damage. The only spells you would be likely to max out are SD and resta, which would be handy, but not as earthshattering as lv. 30 rafoie or grants being tossed about. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Not to bring down your theory about the "1.5 Experience points for the Dual-Classes" But wouldn't it make just a teensy bit more sense if it was just split smack dab in the middle? you know if you get 100 experience from a monster, wouldn't it just go 50 to each job?

Ether
Jul 22, 2006, 09:28 PM
Job exp doesnt work like that. The only way you get job exp is upon clearing a mission

The-King
Jul 22, 2006, 09:34 PM
Oops, My mind went kinda blank for a second there

NDkEwL
Jul 22, 2006, 09:37 PM
so...no one thinks that there is a possibility that a person will have to raise both jobs seperately in order to use them both as a double job?

Like, if I am a Newman Hunter, i will raise Hunter until its lvl like 100, and then raise Force until its like 70, i will be able to use lvl 100 Hunter with lvl 50 Force abilities...if i am able to double job at that point?

Ether
Jul 22, 2006, 09:46 PM
On 2006-07-22 19:37, NDkEwL wrote:
Like, if I am a Newman Hunter, i will raise Hunter until its lvl like 100, and then raise Force until its like 70, i will be able to use lvl 100 Hunter with lvl 50 Force abilities...if i am able to double job at that point?

Jobs cap at level 20. Personally I think you'll have to level two jobs to 20, then you'll unlock something. If they want to make it really "expert" you'll unlock new jobs that start at level 1, and have to level them all over again

On 2006-07-22 19:43, The-King wrote:
No clue

Post count + 1

PALRAPPYS
Jul 22, 2006, 09:51 PM
*sigh* I hope they won't include double jobs. You know everyone will be a HUFO or RAFO. There goes Forces for being something special. Ya know I don't want to attack with weapons. I want to use spells only!

NDkEwL
Jul 22, 2006, 10:15 PM
I played a Force once...i enjoyed being able to shoot things when things got rough and TP was down...just me though...

Pure-chan
Jul 22, 2006, 10:20 PM
On 2006-07-22 19:37, NDkEwL wrote:
so...no one thinks that there is a possibility that a person will have to raise both jobs seperately in order to use them both as a double job?

I think that it's definitely possible that there would be some sort of check and balances system in place that prevent overly powerful characters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pure-chan on 2006-07-22 20:39 ]</font>

PALRAPPYS
Jul 22, 2006, 10:21 PM
Well I just thought of something.... Maybe they mean you can plus your level max of another type! Like Bullets +5, PA's +5.... but no tech's for them no FOs!

Pure-chan
Jul 22, 2006, 10:38 PM
On 2006-07-22 18:52, The-King wrote:
Not to bring down your theory about the "1.5 Experience points for the Dual-Classes" But wouldn't it make just a teensy bit more sense if it was just split smack dab in the middle? you know if you get 100 experience from a monster, wouldn't it just go 50 to each job?

My point is that being able to cast SDJZ and Resta would provide a clear advantage to a class without those moves. It stands to reason that there would be a penalty in place to prevent everyone from abusing it. An effective way to limit the full advantages of dual-class play would be to increase leveling costs for the secondary class. If it costs 500,000 exp for your main class to reach level X, I think it would be fair for it to cost 750,000 or 1,000,000 exp for a secondary class to reach the same level.

This could be a nice feature for hardcore players that still want to item hunt after hitting their level cap. If the exp requirement to get to lv. 200 for your main class was say... 90,000,000, then to get your sub-class to lv. 200 might cost 120,000,000 exp (or 180,000,000).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pure-chan on 2006-07-22 20:58 ]</font>

NightHour13
Jul 22, 2006, 10:52 PM
EXPRT MODE!!??!!

.....EXPERT MODEE?!?!!?!?!?!?!? AHHHHH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

Im gunna be a HU/RA because im sure that theres a clear difference in range of spells and ranged weapons this time. Think about it, in PSO there was minimal distance difference between rifles and a level 30 Foie. I think that there will be a clear difference in speed and range, which I like to have. PLus RA's have better defense boosts im sure. blah blah blah

Ether
Jul 22, 2006, 10:57 PM
On 2006-07-22 20:38, Pure-chan wrote:
If the exp requirement for your main class to get to lv. 200 was 90,000,000, then to get your sub-class to lv. 200 might cost 120,000,000 exp (or 180,000,000). Instead of just taking one character to lv. 200, you might want to take on the added challenge of maxing out a secondary job.

Job level and your Character level are SEPERATE.

Pure-chan
Jul 22, 2006, 11:10 PM
On 2006-07-22 20:57, Ether wrote:
Job level and your Character level are SEPERATE.

Ok, "Job Level", not character level.

Still, being able to cap out and swap between jobs during a game would be extremely powerful. To prevent imbalance, it would be prudent for ST to either increase the cost of the second job, or permit the second job only in a limited capacity (i.e. Main: lv 100, Secondary: lv 50)

Ether
Jul 22, 2006, 11:54 PM
On 2006-07-22 21:10, Pure-chan wrote:
permit the second job only in a limited capacity

I kinda thought that was obvious. If you had the abilities of 2 out of 3 classes at once, everyone would be exactly the same. I think they'll balance it so it looks something like this

HU/FO = Humar
HU/RA= HUcast
RA/FO = RAmar
RA/HU = RAcast
FO/HU = FOmar
FO/RA = FOnewm

On 2006-07-22 21:36, The-King wrote:
Makes Sense

Post Count +2

Pure-chan
Jul 23, 2006, 12:10 AM
On 2006-07-22 21:54, Ether wrote:

I kinda thought that was obvious. If you had the abilities of 2 out of 3 classes at once, everyone would be exactly the same. I think they'll balance it so it looks something like this

HU/FO = Humar
HU/RA= HUcast
RA/FO = RAmar
RA/HU = RAcast
FO/HU = FOmar
FO/RA = FOnewm

It might be obvious if you exclude the fact that it hasn't been established yet -- hence the discussion. Should they decide to veer away from reducing the cap on stats (i.e. main job max lv. 100, secondary job max lv. 50), a reasonable alternative would be to instead limit the growth of the secondary job by way of a highly increased exp cost per secondary level. This would allow for players willing to put in the work to improve their character further, at the cost of a lot of level grinding.

Also:

HU/RA= HUcast -- not Hucaseal?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pure-chan on 2006-07-22 22:21 ]</font>

Saner
Jul 23, 2006, 12:24 AM
the double class combining sounds like more possible combos, because Races factor into this too.

I see this as a good thing because in PSO, non-cast Hunters could use techniques, so could rangers, etc. etc.

so this provides that PSO flexibility if you wanna be this and this, etc. etc.

besides Hunters back then could use mechguns, I think, and other middle class guns/whatever.

but anyways if someone wants to be 100% Force or whatever all the way, then they can choose to not use anything the other Jobs use normally exclusively, even after mastering that job.

that simple. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

DoctorShasta
Jul 23, 2006, 12:28 AM
Yea I think I'll focus super intensely on Ranger and when I finally can't do ANYTHING then I'll get some other stuff but right now my desicion between casts and humans depends on how good of magic I could learn if I did a little of FO cuz since I'm a ranger having resta has always been useful cuz I can be a semi-healer if the main FO needs a little back up

Kyuu
Jul 23, 2006, 01:03 AM
Well I went to the bookstore to check it out and I can verify that what AzureBlaze said was indeed accurate. It was said, effectively, that further down the line you can learn an Expert Class or Level or whatever it was they called it, and essentially dual-class.

Before everyone starts hanging themselves from the rafters at this bit of news, let's think a little bit. It's pretty obvious they intend for Forces to have a distinct advantage as far as technics go. You should consider the possibily that they've thought the issue through the issue more thoroughly than you have, and have a better understanding of the balance issues regarding their own game than you do. Also, this is something that's already been decided and, presumably, implemented, so no amount of whining is going to change it. Further, consider abating whining about it until you've seen how it works and whether or not it really is unbalanced.

I, for one, am glad to hear the news. This definitely solves the issue of newmans being considerably gimped in the ranger and hunter classes, and humans seeming sub-par in every class.

Enhancing the teamwork aspect was something they said they were very keen on accomplishing, which is why they made the classes as seperate as they are. I can only assume they've balanced the Expert Class/Level/Whatever, as I doubt they would create a system just to demolish it. WAIT until you actually KNOW how it works before you bash it.

Saner
Jul 23, 2006, 01:11 AM
the first 90% of the leveling/playing online, you only can be one class at a time, so it's no big deal.

besides dual-class is something new to look forward to when you are advanced enough,
and so it will feel like a reward for getting that far, but it's still obviously optional if you want to take advantage of it.

it will definitely be a long time before anyone can reach that point of being able to dual-class.

some say you have to reach a certain level, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

but you know it would be cool if you have to master ALL the weapons in 2 classes in order to be able to dual-class both of them at once. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Kyuu
Jul 23, 2006, 01:13 AM
I personally very much hope that the Expert Classing does NOT require any sort of leveling up the secondary class by itself through job switching before you're allowed to dual-class it. Would be pretty crappy for those of us who prefer to have a seperate character for each class (as I'm already planning).

Ryudo
Jul 23, 2006, 01:18 AM
is the job level cap really 20? or was it just 20 for the beta hmm?

Ether
Jul 23, 2006, 01:21 AM
On 2006-07-22 23:03, Kyuu wrote:
down the line you can learn an Expert Class

The wording on that makes me think that these will be entirely new classes, ie Hunter Range Force are beginner classes, and the combos are expert classes

I'm betting on having to max two "beginner" classes in order to unlock the expert variations

On 2006-07-22 23:18, Ryudo wrote:
is the job level cap really 20? or was it just 20 for the beta hmm?
It's 20
http://www.pso-world.com/phantasy-star-universe-e3-2006-takao-miyoshi.php

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ether on 2006-07-22 23:25 ]</font>

Kyuu
Jul 23, 2006, 01:30 AM
Actually, they specifically said it'd be HU/RA/FO combinations, so I'm fairly certain it's not new classes. I can't remember if it was Expert Class or Level or some other word. For some reason the second word eludes my memory.

And in beta, the max job level was 10. In the interview Ether linked, it's stated their max level in the final release will be 20.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-07-22 23:30 ]</font>

NightHour13
Jul 23, 2006, 01:34 AM
Was it fairly hard to get to job level 10? For such a low number...I hope it's difficult like buttz

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NightHour13 on 2006-07-22 23:54 ]</font>

Kyuu
Jul 23, 2006, 01:36 AM
... In the closed beta, the max job level was 10. No has played the final release, and so no one has any personal experience with the difficulty of getting a job up to level 20. I'm sure beta testers could make some educated guesses about it judging by their experience with getting a job to level 10, though.

EnixBelmont
Jul 23, 2006, 02:11 AM
I think new classes are possible. AKA, mastering both Hunter and Force will get you a separate class to level, a combo with a different name. I assume it will be leveled up seperately, no? Maybe not.

kazuma56
Jul 23, 2006, 02:34 AM
I think this will be the PSU equivalent of "meriting" your job like in FFXI, which required you to reach max level and then you got the option after "leveling" past the cap to put that into a "merit" would allow you to increase stats/add abilities to your character then no one else below you could.

So in PSU's case, it may be that after hitting 200, you would be able to "take" things from other jobs and add them to your current one, so maybe it would be like the Hunter tree will be all physical PA's, the Ranger tree will have various PA's/bullets for your weapons, and the Force tree will contain all your magic skills which you could add to your char. through selecting a "sub" job you'll have access to those 2 trees to "merit" or dual class from.

therealAERO
Jul 23, 2006, 02:45 AM
in the beta they cap to level 20 right? Cause in the recent demo at e3 I played and ethan had atleast 3 special moves on one weapon...meaning it was atleast 30

Fleece
Jul 23, 2006, 02:55 AM
I think only the Humans and Newmans should be able to multiclass, It'd make up for not having a special ability. I mean a FOBeast can easily transform and knock shit up with mellee when they want and Casts get massive gun summons so multi class for the Humans and Newmans would balance it out a lot.

Kers
Jul 23, 2006, 03:05 AM
Though I've played games that have big character inbalances due to class combinations, I'm not really worried about ST making that mistake in PSU. This game has been delayed for a long time and like Kyuu said, the game's creators have a higher understanding of their game's balancing issues than we do.

Sgt_Shligger
Jul 23, 2006, 03:06 AM
They could do something like this when you reach or get near the level cap. In City of Heroes/Villains you can take special power sets called "Epics" which can be the exact oposite of your current. Even better, when you hit the level cap (50) you unlock to more races. Does it sound pheasible that ST has made multi-class races once you get a character to the level cap?

Kimil
Jul 23, 2006, 03:24 AM
Sweet, Then its official, I'm making a HUfonewm

Carlo210
Jul 23, 2006, 08:48 AM
Everyone's gonna make a hunter/force...
lame.

Parn
Jul 23, 2006, 09:36 AM
Yep, I think this multi-class thing is lame, if it's true. Making each class dependant on each other's capabilities was what made me like what I played of the beta, but now we're back to RAmarl syndrome again. Yay, everyone can make a self-sufficient class, destroying any point to having a class system at all!

I'm suddenly less interested in the game.

Ryna
Jul 23, 2006, 09:52 AM
On 2006-07-23 07:36, Parn wrote:
Yep, I think this multi-class thing is lame, if it's true. Making each class dependant on each other's capabilities was what made me like what I played of the beta, but now we're back to RAmarl syndrome again. Yay, everyone can make a self-sufficient class, destroying any point to having a class system at all!

Until we learn more about this feature, I think it is too early to make pronouncements about seeing the return of Ramarls.

ShinMaruku
Jul 23, 2006, 09:55 AM
Ethan is ninja indeed. next thing to God it seems...

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 23, 2006, 10:16 AM
oh man, that sounds like awesome news, that would also mean that I can be a HUmar without people thinking "oh, he's teh noob, picking teh HUmar."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shiroryuu on 2006-07-23 08:17 ]</font>

Carlo210
Jul 23, 2006, 10:45 AM
Everyone is going to be a self-buffing, self-healing, tank hunter. Don't really like the sound of it Plus, I don't like the clothing that humans/beasts/casts get all 'that' much. It's not bad, but I like how casts look much better (well, my cast at least http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif ). Casts suck at using technics.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 23, 2006, 10:54 AM
but at least now casts they CAN cast them(:lol: couldn't help it, that sounds pretty funny), not like PSO where they had to rely on items that eventually run out.

Oji_Retta
Jul 23, 2006, 11:05 AM
On 2006-07-23 08:45, Carlo210 wrote:
Everyone is going to be a self-buffing, self-healing, tank hunter. Don't really like the sound of it Plus, I don't like the clothing that humans/beasts/casts get all 'that' much. It's not bad, but I like how casts look much better (well, my cast at least http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif ). Casts suck at using technics.

Thats a quick judgement. I'm going to be a Hunter Ranger since I don't like casting at all. ("Everyone"?)
People that like ranger will be ranger than maybe force or hunter. Same goes for people that like to force. Not everybody has the same preference 210. >_>

Alisha
Jul 23, 2006, 11:34 AM
hunter/ranger will be total ass since your ata will be so much lower in comparison to a real ranger.snd its not like a ranger/hunter will suddenly be able to equip swords.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2006-07-23 09:35 ]</font>

zandra117
Jul 23, 2006, 12:42 PM
I think you guys are misinterpreting the multi class thing. I think he means that once you get to a certain level you can use weapons that are like other class weapons that are exclusive to your class. Kind of like how after a force gets to a certain level it can use the longbow, a force exclusive ranger weapon. The fan that we've seen in some screenshots might be a hunter exclusive force weapon.

Kyuu
Jul 23, 2006, 01:01 PM
I doubt HuFo's will be as self-sufficient and godly as people think. Even if it does work like people assume, which it very well might not, it's likely there will be such huge penalties on your secondary class that a HuFo's (or RaFo's) technics will be nowhere near the effectiveness of a main-classed FO. Especially considering how unbelievably low non-newman HU/RA TAP is.

Another reason I like the idea, is that it changes things up a little when you get to the upper levels (or the level-cap, or whenever it is you're allowed to take advantage of this feature). It'll definitely give you a better feel of having gotten more powerful over just getting stronger and stronger versions of the same things you've always had.

And the job level cap is 20. Ethan is an exception, he can pretty much do anything from whatever class he wants. Offline and online don't work precisely the same as far as job mechanics go.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 23, 2006, 01:43 PM
Kyuu, if what you said is true, then I wouldn't mind. I mean, if my primary guy is a Hunter, then he's a Hunter first and foremost, but having a little resta, shifta, and deband here and there, even if its not as strong as a Force wouldn't hurt. If I wanted super awesome spells, then I'd be a Force, but I want super awesome swords, with (hopefully) SOME magic, even if its weak, at least I can self-heal incase there isn't a Force around to do the job.

ulyoth
Jul 23, 2006, 01:55 PM
This does sound great though, even as an extra impetus after reaching the level cap maybe?

mechatra
Jul 23, 2006, 01:57 PM
I'm quite pleased to hear this, Though it hasn't changed my wants for my character, it pleases me since I feel my main will be alittle more original in comparison to alot of other players out there in the sense that I actually don't want to cross him to another class at all.

Kyuu's concept of having a subclass that isn't as strong as a whole total secondary class but giving you some minor abilities really balances out to some extent, but what I would like is that if you took on a sub class it would possibly limit your main class aswell, in a way that...

Hmmm well that isn't quite comming out right, lemme rephrase:

I'd like to think that between two hunters of the same Race at lvl 50, if one is a pure hunter and the other has taken on a force subclass, then the pure hunter will be slightly stronger.

I kinda like the idea of being able to level up another class in one job, but still having a max job cap, so you could either level your hunter job to 20 OR lvl your hunter job to 15 and have 5 job points on force - allowing you access to casting weapons and some extra points towards the force stats.

Anyone else like the concept? Or is it alittle stupid?

Saner
Jul 23, 2006, 02:07 PM
ah whatever just focus on whatever, even if you wanna remain as one class.

even if they 'force' you to choose a linked class after leveling high enough,
just choose whatever and never use weapons from the other classes.

even if a pure Hunter looks nerfed compared to a Hunter+Ranger, just enjoy whatever style you wanna focus on.

mananas
Jul 23, 2006, 02:36 PM
What exactly does your job level entail? I can't find it anywhere... and trust me, I've looked.

RoninJoku
Jul 23, 2006, 02:53 PM
This is good news... Well really... anything would have been good news to me... There's been such a drought on PSU info recently... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Saner
Jul 23, 2006, 03:00 PM
Class level is tied to the weapon ranks in each category, I think. or completing missions. or both.

each class can be leveled to 20, but that's separate from experience level.

and each weapon type has a letter rank.

mechatra
Jul 23, 2006, 03:05 PM
^

Lol nice one saner.

I'll elaborate alittle.

Class level is completely seperate from your character level.
Each time you complete a mission you will gain Job exp which goes towards your current class. As these classes level you gain various stat boosts dependant on the class (Eg - HU's will get ATP HP ATA mostly)

Your character has a class level max of 20 for each class.
Also as your class levels up, your weapon proficiency with the weapons afiliated to that class may rise.

ANIMEniac
Jul 23, 2006, 03:12 PM
Im Lovin this news ^_^. they made people think that the classes where sollid then hit us with the 2 class at the same time ^_^. im just still laughin at the 1 dude that said that the interviewer was a fake and was not actualy an interview... a textbook example of SERVED!

Vetsent
Jul 23, 2006, 03:26 PM
On 2006-07-23 10:42, zandra117 wrote:
I think you guys are misinterpreting the multi class thing. I think he means that once you get to a certain level you can use weapons that are like other class weapons that are exclusive to your class. Kind of like how after a force gets to a certain level it can use the longbow, a force exclusive ranger weapon. The fan that we've seen in some screenshots might be a hunter exclusive force weapon.

That brings up some ideas I thought of.That is how I understood it too.I like using the amazing Ranger weapons(shotgun especially,multi-hitting ranged weaponXD),but I use some of the Hunter stuff on the side.

And don't be going and screaming in pain just yet.If there is a bit of stat contribution for being a Ra/Hu something(like more attack than a normal Ra,but not equal to a pure Hu) then that means there is even more diversity to the game.Instead of being just a...

Hu-mar,marl,cast,caseal,newm,newearl,beast(female beast name),a Ra-mar,marl,cast,caseal,newm,newearl,beast,or a Fo-mar,marl,cast,caseal,newm,newearl,or beast

you can now also use the alternate classes of...

a Hu/Ra,Hu/Fo,Ra/Hu,Ra/Fo,Fo/Hu,or a Fo/Ra of any race you like.

That means you MAY(since this is not confirmed by the game's release,only an interview,as it may change) have up to 48 new classes added onto the original 24,for up to 72 combinations of characters and class.

Since a lot of people will be Hu/Ra or Hu/Fo,I'm going to be the reverses of each for some of my characters,Ra/Hu and Fo/Hu,which is just what I like.

I,myself,am excited about the new Expert Class,so I won't complain.

Saner
Jul 23, 2006, 03:29 PM
ya this is exciting news!

the class system is now deeper and more customizable with these bonus rewards for advancing high enough. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Mwabwetumba
Jul 23, 2006, 03:38 PM
I would be very happy if one was given the choice to, instead of multi-classing, further develop a single class, to create the ultimate HU, for example.
That would be very fitting for my blood-crazed maniac of an android, that actually is human..

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 23, 2006, 03:55 PM
now that you brung that up, that would also be awesome.

hypersaxon
Jul 23, 2006, 05:00 PM
Dual classes actually make a lot of sense, especially with the dual wielding system. When you play as a Hunter and dual wield a Hunter weapon with a Ranger weapon, your accuracy with a gun is far worse than if you were a Ranger dual wielding a Ranger weapon with a Hunter weapon. And vice versa, the Ranger would suck more with the Hunter weapon. If you dual classed, you would have proficiency with both weapon, making your character a serious contender in harder difficulty missions.

People have brought up balance issues, but let's not forget that the final letter grade for missions could in fact be exponentially more difficult than any other difficulties before it. It may in fact be extremely recommended for someone to dual class by the time they hit the final difficulty. Remember how insanely hard Ultimate mode was in PSO? They may have something insanely sick to look forward to in PSU...

I'm definitely looking forward to dual class, it'll give me a nice variety of options to choose from. I'd probably go with HU/RA with my main character and dual wield a Saber with a Mechgun. I'm not sure if having a dual class would imply any penalties to your stats/weapon selection, but if Sonic Team does it right, they could make PSU even more kick azz than before http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Carlo210
Jul 23, 2006, 05:51 PM
So... casts are now the downright worst classes... ever? They are horribly handicapped with technics and being a ranger+hunter or vice versa has nowhere near the advantages that a hufo or rafo has. I think it's dumb.
With the sytem we know of now, thereare all around humans, accurate casts, strong beasts, and quick/forceful newmans. Seems balanced to me.

Kyuu
Jul 23, 2006, 07:24 PM
You don't KNOW that HuRa's have no advantages, nor that HuFo's or RaFo's have the advantages you think they do.

WE DON'T KNOW HOW IT WORKS YET. *deep, calming breath*

Carlo210
Jul 23, 2006, 07:27 PM
I know that. I guess no one should be speculatng at all, then.

Nai_Calus
Jul 23, 2006, 07:29 PM
lol, these are some of the same people who bitched me out for bitching about not being able to dual class, now whining because you can. XD

*vastly amused*

Kyuu
Jul 23, 2006, 07:30 PM
Speculating is fine... it's the complaining about the system that you're envisioning as though that's the way it's going to work. If thinking about it working that way upsets you, then envision it working in a different way that makes you feel like you're sleeping in a bed with a thousand fluffy kittens. ^_^

Earthsunderer
Jul 23, 2006, 07:44 PM
...then envision it working in a different way that makes you feel like you're sleeping in a bed with a thousand fluffy kittens. ^_^I would be highly disturbed if I found myself being in bed with a thousand fluffy kittens purring and napping with me in bed.

I mean, imagine those thousand fluffy kittens all crawling over you while you're sleeping.

Cute, but deadly. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Earthsunderer on 2006-07-23 17:57 ]</font>

Kers
Jul 23, 2006, 07:47 PM
Man that is a horrible nightmare.

mananas
Jul 23, 2006, 09:12 PM
So... job level is simply means stat bonuses and weapon affinity as of right now?

Saner
Jul 23, 2006, 09:18 PM
On 2006-07-23 17:29, Ian-KunX wrote:
lol, these are some of the same people who bitched me out for bitching about not being able to dual class, now whining because you can. XD

*vastly amused*

lol! Sonic Team is watching youuuu, Ian-KunX. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

ST: "Nyuk nyuk nyuk! The time has come!"

ST2: "Yes! Ian-KunX will surely be surprised!"

*leaks news about dual-class* http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/ducky.gif

Ian-KunX: " o_o ....... woot! XD "

ST1&2: "Score! ^0^ ^0^"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-07-23 19:19 ]</font>

Carlo210
Jul 23, 2006, 09:22 PM
On 2006-07-23 19:12, mananas wrote:
So... job level is simply means stat bonuses and weapon affinity as of right now?

Yesiree!
Oh, and art levels.
For example, hunters can max their photon art levels (the level and strength or melee weapon special attacks that take up pp), while rangers can max out bullet arts (elements that are applied to each bullet, increasing elemental damage and having higher chances of inflicting a status ailment. Forces can raise bullet arts slightly, while they cant raise photon arts much at all.
Hunters can raise bullet arts slightly.
Rangers can raise photon arts slightly.
Hunters and rangers cannot raise/possess technic arts, only forces can.

Jozon
Jul 24, 2006, 02:36 AM
awesome news(since I heard beasts weren't good rangers) I can make a melee and magic character for ranged attacks, and to lay down the beating for fighting and nanoblasts.

Diablohead
Jul 24, 2006, 11:58 AM
As long as sega don't make the use of force on each character the same as pso, aka too much and basicly everyone used resta, i'm with with any method they choose for psu.

I just dont want to see everyone using resta, and having cast times of <1 second.

RoboKy
Jul 24, 2006, 12:21 PM
So you want everyone to wait half an hr or more for a healer? That is if mates are too expensive.

Pure-chan
Jul 24, 2006, 01:42 PM
On 2006-07-23 15:51, Carlo210 wrote:
So... casts are now the downright worst classes... ever? They are horribly handicapped with technics and being a ranger+hunter or vice versa has nowhere near the advantages that a hufo or rafo has. I think it's dumb.
With the sytem we know of now, thereare all around humans, accurate casts, strong beasts, and quick/forceful newmans. Seems balanced to me.

A while back I saw posts about casts being the best overall race. Now people are asking if they will be the worst race. I don't see them as being either. If PSO gives any indication into what high level play on PSU will have to offer; than accuracy will remain at a premium. Casts have great HP, DEF and ATP, top shelf ATA and SUV weapons. The lack of MST is what keeps casts from being imbalanced.

It's true that one dimensional classes lack the flexibilty of 'jack of all trades, master of none' chars. But allowing the skill tree in PSO to go straight up - instead of branching out into multiple areas reaped it's own benefits, too -- (i.e. the hucast's enormous ATP/HP and the hucaseal's faster attack speed, better attack animations and much higher ATA).

Assuming that PSU follows suit; one-dimensional classes will dominate their main focus, while 'all-rounders' manage to pull off a bit of everything. Stats aside, a hack-and-slash RPG depends more on skill and awareness than anything else. The strongest class will be whatever best fits your play style.

chibiLegolas
Jul 24, 2006, 02:10 PM
On 2006-07-23 07:36, Parn wrote:

I can't understand the animosity ppl have against RA/FO + HU/FO combos.
In any well balanced game, any dual classing professions will NOT be more powerful than a pure FO class (tech output-wize). So your powerful nuke or support character option will still be there for those who choose not to multiclass.

Besides, it's always good to know that other teammates has the option to heal the FO's later in the game, when all mates are gone or whenever.

chibiLegolas
Jul 24, 2006, 02:16 PM
On 2006-07-23 00:55, Fleece wrote:
I think only the Humans and Newmans should be able to multiclass, It'd make up for not having a special ability. I mean a FOBeast can easily transform and knock shit up with mellee when they want and Casts get massive gun summons so multi class for the Humans and Newmans would balance it out a lot.

I too wonder if that's the case as well. There's still something humans and newmans have over the other 2 races that made ST justify the need for SUV's and nanoblasts. I'm not sure if expert mode is the correct way to balance out SUV's and nanoblasts. But I'm awefully curious as to what it is.

Saner
Jul 24, 2006, 02:29 PM
of course, with dual class, Humans have more options and less disadvantages to whatever combination they choose.

and Newmans, well any combination linked with Fo is fine cause it takes advantage of their superior technique potential.

Diablohead
Jul 24, 2006, 03:45 PM
On 2006-07-24 10:21, RoboKy wrote:
So you want everyone to wait half an hr or more for a healer? That is if mates are too expensive.

A true force character doing the healing via magic is fine, its when everyone under the sun over level 10 or so can just constantly heal themselves with resta.

One reason why my 2nd character on pso long ago was a cast, I was limited to bunches of 10 potions and no resta unless with a team mate.

Saner
Jul 24, 2006, 04:10 PM
with 20 monomate slots and stuff like that, healing won't be as much of a problem, then again the enemies are tougher now.

but still, most attacks can be avoided if you watch your distance and monster behavior. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

mananas
Jul 24, 2006, 11:03 PM
I hope this doesn't turn out how everyone is expecting... hopefully there is some sort of huge catch so there is an actual reason to keep classes. If everyone can do the same thing (or everything...) why bother? Isn't that part of the fun, doing things other characters can't?
Hopefully you won't be able to switch while battling.. that would be nice.

Vetsent
Jul 24, 2006, 11:39 PM
On 2006-07-23 13:55, Shiroryuu wrote:
now that you brung that up, that would also be awesome.

at Mwabwetumba's post...

On 2006-07-23 13:38, Mawabwetumba wrote:
I would be very happy if one was given the choice to, instead of multi-classing, further develop a single class, to create the ultimate HU, for example.
That would be very fitting for my blood-crazed maniac of an android, that actually is human..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually a couple other guys and myself had already stated that it MAY(remeber,the game isn't out yet) work like that,but maybe not as clearly as Mwabwetumba.

Vetsent
Jul 24, 2006, 11:43 PM
On 2006-07-24 21:03, mananas wrote:
I hope this doesn't turn out how everyone is expecting... hopefully there is some sort of huge catch so there is an actual reason to keep classes. If everyone can do the same thing (or everything...) why bother? Isn't that part of the fun, doing things other characters can't?

It was already stated that you would have them like a combo,not like switching them out in battle or at some kind of "class switching station".Also,we already know of one small limitation,that you don't start out with it.

hypersaxon
Jul 24, 2006, 11:45 PM
Of course you can still pick a single class. Just go to the counter and select "Hunter" or "Ranger" or "Force" and whalaa, you're one of those.

Although as a Hunter, I sure wouldn't mind an added ATA boost. And likewise, as a Ranger I wouldn't mind an ATP boost. And as a Newman, you sure wouldn't mind being able to use magic http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Ryo_Hayasa
Jul 25, 2006, 08:50 AM
i have a question that's kinda off topic, but it was brought up some time ago.
-ahem-
Tell me, what was the problem with RAmarls?

mananas
Jul 25, 2006, 11:52 AM
Oh... I didn't catch that in the article. That's even worse.

Cruisectrl
Jul 25, 2006, 01:34 PM
ST knows what theyre doing... Everyones worrying way to much over everything!!! Wait till the game comes out please!

shidoshi
Jul 25, 2006, 03:47 PM
Just to be clear, here is the EXACT text from the interview as far as the question in, er, question:

One of the big updates to PSU over PSO is the changes made to classes. However, it now sounds like non-Force characters cannot use any techniques at all, even low level ones. Is that true? I think the Force class needed to be strengthened when it came to techniques, but as somebody who played a Hunter whose role was being the healer for my party, I'll be crushed if I can't use any techniques at all. (Note: I like playing the "paladin" role, so that's where I was coming from for this question.)

We wanted to push the teamwork factor in the multiplayer mode, where players can work together in six-player squads by offering different skill-sets to the team to offset any deficiencies. Players will be able to select an Expert Type once they satisfy certain conditions through increasing Type Levels as they play the online mode. There are combined class types available in the Expert Type such as being both Hunter and Force classes.

By the way, me = Eric = "asker."

As far as the Musk Cat thing... I wasn't saying, "Hey, you should put this in the game really quick!" I'm not that big of an idiot. *heh* I think it'd be a really interesting/fun idea for a character race, and would be a nice connection back to the old series. I had the chance to ask any questions that I wanted to ask, and that was one of them, so I asked.

hypersaxon
Jul 25, 2006, 04:06 PM
On 2006-07-25 11:34, Cruisectrl wrote:
ST knows what theyre doing... Everyones worrying way to much over everything!!! Wait till the game comes out please!

Exactly. Everyone's all worried about everyone using a FO type, but the fact is once you get someone with FO as a main, you'll rarely use your own magic for anything. In fact, if you have someone with FO as a main wouldn't it be better to be a HU/RA or RA/HU instead of a HU/FO or RA/FO? You wouldn't have to worry about healing and support since you have a FO with you, and your stats would be a lot higher, namely your HP.

Not saying that HU/FO or RA/FO is aweful though, Newman characters especially could take advantage of it with their high MST and TAP.

Vetsent
Jul 25, 2006, 06:39 PM
On 2006-07-25 13:47, shidoshi wrote:
Just to be clear, here is the EXACT text from the interview as far as the question in, er, question:

One of the big updates to PSU over PSO is the changes made to classes. However, it now sounds like non-Force characters cannot use any techniques at all, even low level ones. Is that true? I think the Force class needed to be strengthened when it came to techniques, but as somebody who played a Hunter whose role was being the healer for my party, I'll be crushed if I can't use any techniques at all. (Note: I like playing the "paladin" role, so that's where I was coming from for this question.)

We wanted to push the teamwork factor in the multiplayer mode, where players can work together in six-player squads by offering different skill-sets to the team to offset any deficiencies. Players will be able to select an Expert Type once they satisfy certain conditions through increasing Type Levels as they play the online mode. There are combined class types available in the Expert Type such as being both Hunter and Force classes.

That means that it no longer is up in the air about whether or not your character level had to be at a specific point or not,it's just type level.

Saner
Jul 25, 2006, 07:03 PM
there is no "wrong way" to setup your character class/combination.

anyone can solo no matter what they are so that's proof that people can be independant on their own and helpful in parties no matter what.

I doubt we'll see parties that will be like:

"a HU/FO? that's so useless! you can't join!"

so ya, people are worrying over nothing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-07-25 17:04 ]</font>

Kyuu
Jul 25, 2006, 09:13 PM
Also, looking at the exact wording of the answer to that question from the interview, you notice he says that combined class types like HuFo are available as an Expert Type. It can be inferred from that statement that there are other expert types besides the combined classes, so perhaps the desire for stronger specialization in one class is available also. Not only would that satisfy those who don't want to dual-class, if it's true, but it place a further gap between the abilities of a HuFo or RaFo and an all-out Force.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-07-25 19:13 ]</font>

Cruisectrl
Jul 25, 2006, 10:01 PM
i've recently im gonna solo a foce but use a bow http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif that should be fun

ill have pink hair too

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cruisectrl on 2006-07-25 20:01 ]</font>

Sev
Jul 26, 2006, 01:21 AM
On 2006-07-25 19:13, Kyuu wrote:
Also, looking at the exact wording of the answer to that question from the interview, you notice he says that combined class types like HuFo are available as an Expert Type. It can be inferred from that statement that there are other expert types besides the combined classes, so perhaps the desire for stronger specialization in one class is available also. Not only would that satisfy those who don't want to dual-class, if it's true, but it place a further gap between the abilities of a HuFo or RaFo and an all-out Force.

Being a /FO will be more usefull when there's not a Force around at all. This can happen of course, and if you don't have one handy, it would be pretty helpful to have 1 or 2 people with the ability to support and heal the party as well at continue to fight. This takes alot of work on their part, but if they're up to the task then why not. Even with a Force in the party, I can't see them being to upset that they don't have to cast Resta on everyone... That saves them the PP as well as allows them to attack more often.

For the most part though, there should be a decent gap. If you are both a Hunter and a Force, you'll either be stronger in one area and weaker in another, or you'll be slashed down the middle as far as ability goes. It would be even better if there were different types and more indepth combinations. Say a type of Hunter that specialized in Defense, or Evasion. Combinations like that would add even more of a variation to your parties. By doing this, you can build on racial weakness or strengths, it would be a great thing overall.

I guess we'll see though. It's almost enough to make me wanna not worry about Offline so I can rush to this type, but I still plan on splitting time between the 2.

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 26, 2006, 04:31 AM
All this worrying about /FO types...heck, I'll just be a pure RA or RA/HU and not even give a damn whether or not any Forces join my party. I want a party with people who can hold their own without being bailed out by Resta all the time. Mates should be enough.

Saner
Jul 26, 2006, 06:19 AM
ya, interestingly I was a RAcaseal in PSO and I could take care of myself without techniques.

and remember it will be a LONG TIME before a beginner can eventually Dual Class.

so of course they balanced the gameplay and stuff
cause obviously HUs and RAs at first won't be able to heal themselves unless they have consumable items to do so.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/cone.gif

and even without FO as a 'sub', they increased the item stacks to 20, so of course they have balanced the survival options for any combination.

Sev
Jul 26, 2006, 11:54 AM
There are other reasons to have FO abilities aside from Resta. It's never been the only reason. If the mosters are just that much stronger, you'll need some type of support, whether your good or not.

Nai_Calus
Jul 26, 2006, 12:37 PM
Not to mention that, face it, Forces were few and far between on PSO, and GOOD Forces even fewer and farther. Too many neglected their role as supporters in favour of useless Rafoie spam. -_-;

oShojino
Jul 26, 2006, 06:15 PM
I'm very please to see the Expert Class option, perhaps it will be like the subjob system of GW or FFXI. Everything else was pretty much expected. This does make Newman Hunters more useful though.

Ibuka
Jul 26, 2006, 06:23 PM
I'm gald for the expert classes... Tried of playing my HUcaseal and people won't Shifta or Deband or Jellen the Monsters in some where like Sea Bed or Ruins and wanted me to use up my traps when they were not needed in at times.... Now that i will be able too, Bad Force players or HUnewearls or RAmarls that didn't wanna Shifta and Deband can kiss my ass! lol

Saner
Jul 26, 2006, 08:37 PM
oh come now, you don't need any other technique but healing to keep you going.

shifta and deband may help but are not vital to succeed. people can work around this by leveling up higher and upgrading their equipment. as well as playing smart to avoid the attacks that can be manually dodged.

of course the boosting and enemy handicapping techniques do help, but any obstacle in this game is not impossible to overcome even if no one uses them. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

no disrespect to FOs, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/cone.gif I'm just clarifying that in the online Phantasy Star games, soloing all the way as any class is possible, and so a HU/FO or whatever can do without techniques aside from Resta. and not even need Resta if they're good enough. they have consumable items.

Resta is a great bonus in case they run out of items. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-07-26 18:37 ]</font>

hypersaxon
Jul 26, 2006, 09:37 PM
On 2006-07-26 18:37, Saner wrote:
oh come now, you don't need any other technique but healing to keep you going.

shifta and deband may help but are not vital to succeed. people can work around this by leveling up higher and upgrading their equipment. as well as playing smart to avoid the attacks that can be manually dodged.

of course the boosting and enemy handicapping techniques do help, but any obstacle in this game is not impossible to overcome even if no one uses them. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

no disrespect to FOs, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/cone.gif I'm just clarifying that in the online Phantasy Star games, soloing all the way as any class is possible, and so a HU/FO or whatever can do without techniques aside from Resta. and not even need Resta if they're good enough. they have consumable items.

Resta is a great bonus in case they run out of items. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-07-26 18:37 ]</font>

It would probably take a VERY long time before someone could solo Seabed, or even Ruins, in Ultimate mode. Seabed is bad enough even with a full party, what with everyone spraying Megid all over the place. But solo?! I dunno about that lol

Saner
Jul 26, 2006, 09:38 PM
lol but I mean in the default difficulty. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

mechatra
Jul 27, 2006, 05:29 AM
*sigh*

Again it seems some people must be reminded.

PSU is not PSO.

hypersaxon
Jul 27, 2006, 05:48 AM
On 2006-07-26 19:38, Saner wrote:
lol but I mean in the default difficulty. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

You said solo "all the way" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

mechatra
Jul 27, 2006, 05:56 AM
Lets not forget that there are now items that give the same effects as deband and shifta, along with the new two stat boosts.

Infact I believe the item Megistride(?) gives all four stat ups, even though it is quite rare.

Chiba-kun
Jul 27, 2006, 07:29 AM
Aye we really need to keep in mind that im sure the class mechanics have most certainly changed from pso to psu. So its hard to speculate the abilites of them in comparison to pso.

Pure-chan
Jul 27, 2006, 02:41 PM
On 2006-07-27 03:56, mechatra wrote:
Lets not forget that there are now items that give the same effects as deband and shifta, along with the new two stat boosts.

Infact I believe the item Megistride(?) gives all four stat ups, even though it is quite rare.

Good point. I've heard that the stat up items are pretty expensive, though.

Saner
Jul 27, 2006, 07:18 PM
You said solo "all the way" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

well well. it might be possible to solo all the way in Ultimate. maybe. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

DrewSeleski
Jul 28, 2006, 12:47 AM
I WILL do it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Vetsent
Jul 29, 2006, 02:12 AM
On 2006-07-27 05:29, Chiba-kun wrote:
Aye we really need to keep in mind that im sure the class mechanics have most certainly changed from pso to psu. So its hard to speculate the abilites of them in comparison to pso.

But from what we've heard it will play in many similar ways to PSO and will have the same type of stats and many of the same type of moves.The things that have changed we are taking into account(at least those smart enough to will).

Saner
Jul 29, 2006, 12:15 PM
same types of stats? each race and gender has different stats.

Earthsunderer
Jul 29, 2006, 12:19 PM
I think he means it more in therms of Hp is still your Hitpoints, Accuracy is about hitting, strengt is for damage evaluation and so on.

Saner
Jul 29, 2006, 12:24 PM
well like of course cause like this is an RPG lol. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

DrewSeleski
Jul 29, 2006, 12:40 PM
You never know, they might make a game where your dexterity determines your magic attack http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Saner
Jul 29, 2006, 03:41 PM
huhhh? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

lol well it would be nice if they took the TESIV approach and make all hits 100% hit instead of partially relying on accuracy-type stats. lol http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

well I think they actually hit this time all the time, but if they 'miss' then it's zero damage anyway. lol. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 29, 2006, 04:18 PM
On 2006-07-24 21:03, mananas wrote:

well, what I'm hoping and expecting is something like this: HU/RA would have level 20 skills but only like say level 15 bullets, while RA/HU will have level 20 bullets and only level 15 skills. same with HU/FO or RA/FO, they can use level 20 skills or bullets and level 5 or 10 techniques. that would be kind of ideal IMO. I would like my HUmar and maybe HUnewearl to have awesome blade skills, but I don't want them to become some kind of a Force or whatever, only enough not to be one dimensional Hunters who can't cast techniques.

Vetsent
Jul 29, 2006, 06:55 PM
On 2006-07-29 10:40, DrewSeleski wrote:
You never know, they might make a game where your dexterity determines your magic attack http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Already done,go play Tales of Symphonia.

DrewSeleski
Jul 29, 2006, 11:33 PM
On 2006-07-29 16:55, Vetsent wrote:

Already done,go play Tales of Symphonia.

I have played it and I remember there wasn't even a dexterity stat. i did go on gamefaqs to make sure though. That is unless you were just randomly suggesting I play it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Lv: This is your character's current level, you level up by gaining enough
Experience Points, or simply known as EXP.

HP: This is the number of hit points the current has, over the total number
of hit points. If you lose all of your HP, you are knocked out.

TP: This shows the number of technical points your character has, over
the total number of technical points. TP is needed to use magic and/or
techniques. You won't be KO'ed if you run out, don't worry.

EXP: This shows your character's Experience Points. Experience Points can
be gained by defeating enemies, and if you have enough EXP, then you can
gain a level, and all stats will increase.

Next: This shows the number of EXP required to reach the next level.

Str: This variable determines your basic attack strength. The more you
have, the more powerful the physical blows you can strike on the enemy.

Sla: This variable determines Lloyd's attack strength for slashing attacks.
Maybe it is because Lloyd uses Twin Blades.

Thr: This variable is also available to Lloyd only. It determines his attack
strength for his Thrust attacks. Again, it must be for his Twin Blades.

Atk: This determines your character's attack power. It is dependent of
the weapon your character is equipped with. The stronger the weapon, the
higher the value, and the more damage will be dealt to the enemy.

Int: This determines the character's intelligence. The higher the value,
the better he/she is at using magic, and at defending him/her against the
magic.

Def: This variable determines your character's defensive strength, like
how much he/she can take damage. It is dependent on your character's armor.

Acc: This is just your character's accuracy. No need for any expanations.

Eva: This is your character's evasion. It determines how well your
character can avoid getting hit in battle.

Lck: This is your character's luck. It changes each time you stay at an
inn, and affects many game features, including battle.

Jife_Jifremok
Jul 30, 2006, 03:51 AM
The Accuracy and Evade stats in the Tales series (or at least most of it) are like Dexterity split into two. They are the two most useless stats in the game however, as Evade affects your chance to auto-block (which kinda helps if you suck at defense, and really helps when the character under attack is AI-controlled) and Acc seems to affect how often your enemy blocks your attack...but the enemy's guarding is useless anyway since you can just beat the snot out of them anyway and Guard Break them.

On 2006-07-29 13:41, Saner wrote:
huhhh? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

lol well it would be nice if they took the TESIVKing's Field, Doom, Monster Hunter, Castlevania, Legend of Zelda, Metal Slug, Xevious, Tales of..., and craploads of other games approach and make all hits 100% hit instead of partially relying on accuracy-type stats. lol http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

well I think they actually hit this time all the time, but if they 'miss' then it's zero damage anyway. lol. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Fixed. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, I think the word MISS was simply replaced by a 0. Or perhaps the MISS wasn't developed yet at the time of the beta and the 0 was a placeholder for it. We'll see in the complete version.

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind had some mental stats (I forget exactly which) that affected your chance of successfully casting spells. Stronger spells failed more often until you got smarter and better with magic. I forget if this system is around in Oblivion.

Kyuu
Jul 30, 2006, 12:32 PM
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind had some mental stats (I forget exactly which) that affected your chance of successfully casting spells. Stronger spells failed more often until you got smarter and better with magic. I forget if this system is around in Oblivion.

It's not. Instead you simply have to have a minimum proficiency in the appropriate school of magic to learn a spell in the first place, and then it's a guaranteed successful cast. They were going for a more interesting combat system in Oblivion, and the chance to constantly fail spells wasn't conducive to that end.

shidoshi
Jul 31, 2006, 02:58 PM
Full interview (http://playmagazine.com/index.php?fuseaction=SiteMain.showGamePage&Game_ID=335).

Sorry it went up a bit late. Deadline for the mag was last week, and there was a little issue with my copy of Devil Summoner not working, so I got into the game late and had to play it like mad to do my preview.

Saner
Jul 31, 2006, 03:02 PM
On 2006-07-31 12:58, shidoshi wrote:
Full interview (http://playmagazine.com/index.php?fuseaction=SiteMain.showGamePage&Game_ID=335).

Sorry it went up a bit late. Deadline for the mag was last week, and there was a little issue with my copy of Devil Summoner not working, so I got into the game late and had to play it like mad to do my preview.

WOW!!! 4 pages!!! thanks! reading it now!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Saner
Jul 31, 2006, 03:20 PM
the article is huge so go to the link they provided!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-08-01 11:07 ]</font>

Killuminati
Jul 31, 2006, 03:42 PM
I like that they you have to have an internet connection to play the PC version this should eliminate hacking or at least keep it to a minimum. I also like that they kept the servers seperated becuase after playing FFXI online for quite sometime I know that alot of Japanese gamers don't like playing with anything but Japanese gamers.

Saner
Jul 31, 2006, 03:53 PM
ya besides the language barrier is too thick to have even a nice natural chat with them. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

ya I remember the 'ol FF11 days. being in some Japanese parties late at night and I couldn't join in with their conversations.

we could just undestand emotes and simple text emotes and that's it.
ya there are translation feature but that's a pain to use, it kinda feels like baby talk using simple words. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

AeraLure
Jul 31, 2006, 04:33 PM
On 2006-07-31 13:42, Killuminati wrote:
I also like that they kept the servers seperated becuase after playing FFXI online for quite sometime I know that alot of Japanese gamers don't like playing with anything but Japanese gamers.

I think keeping the choice would have been nice though, and I am still so disappointed that they are separated. Many of my best times in the game were on the JP servers with a mixed group.

My experience was that if you showed no ability to speak any Japanese at all and made no effort whatsoever, however minimal, to try and bridge that gap, even just a simple "Hajimemashite" - anyone can look up a few greetings tanslated into Romanji - then yeah, they might not make any effort to play with you. If you were polite, asked if they minded if you joined, left gracefully if that said no gaijin, etc, then you could make Japanese friends and they would probably eventually speak some English with you. Until they did, play smart, dont play greedy, and make an effort to understand what they were trying to do in team play. I ended my PSO play with mostly Japanese friends and some couldnt speak any English. Amazing what that little bit would do to make you quite welcome even if you were not fluent. Not to imply I would have had that experience on FFXI necessarily. Dont know.

Anyway, the interview seems to imply a time-based sequentially planned rollout of events - at least for the first couple of months - for the online PSU environment. Means to me they should have released globally all at the same time, so I find it hard to understand. For whatever reason they did not or could not, and then yes, that being the case, separating the servers on that logic does make a bit of sense.

Kyunji
Jul 31, 2006, 04:48 PM
There has been some talk that the PC version will require an internet connection even when playing the single player mode, due to security reasons. Is this true, and will the PS2 and Xbox 360 versions also require this?
For the PC version, the environment is required to have constant access to the Internet. This is, we believe, necessary to eliminate wrongful acts by users. You do not have to have access to the network when playing the single-player mode in the PS2 version. As to the Xbox 360 version, it is not yet determined.

Way to lose, SEGA, way to lose.

First of all, this eliminates at least some of the market, as not everyone has an Internet connection. Furthermore, if they announce that you also need a high-speed connection, they've just prevented that 45% of people who can't get high-speed connections from playing the game for the PC.

Second, do they not realize that no matter what they do, their games won't be invincible? The more security they put in, the harder people will work to try to crack it, just for the fame of it. I predict that not long after the game comes out, someone will release a "play offline" patch for it. Now, I'm no hacker (I hate PSO hackers with a passion; they take all the fun out of the game for those who play legit), but I would be severly tempted to download such a patch. What if I want to play offline and my connection is down? What if I go on a trip and want to play on a laptop, but won't have constant Wi-Fi access?

Thirdly, what'll we do when that dreaded time comes and the servers are shut down and SEGA virtually drops all support for the game? Will those "innocent" PS2 users be allowed to continue playing the game, while those thousands of PC users will be left to stare at a "Could not connect to server" error message?

I see no way that this will work out for SEGA. They've eliminated at least some of their user base in a hopeless attempt to try to prevent hacking which won't work anyways. Smooth move.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyunji on 2006-07-31 14:53 ]</font>

Kers
Jul 31, 2006, 05:07 PM
Smooth indeed. It's better to have some security then none at all. I don't enjoy playing with laggy people. And in relation to PSU, PSO is still played online, so I don't count on PSU closing short of PSO's time. Sounds great to me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Killuminati
Jul 31, 2006, 05:17 PM
On 2006-07-31 14:48, Kyunji wrote:

There has been some talk that the PC version will require an internet connection even when playing the single player mode, due to security reasons. Is this true, and will the PS2 and Xbox 360 versions also require this?
For the PC version, the environment is required to have constant access to the Internet. This is, we believe, necessary to eliminate wrongful acts by users. You do not have to have access to the network when playing the single-player mode in the PS2 version. As to the Xbox 360 version, it is not yet determined.

First of all, this eliminates at least some of the market, as not everyone has an Internet connection. Furthermore, if they announce that you also need a high-speed connection, they've just prevented that 45% of people who can't get high-speed connections from playing the game for the PC.

Second, do they not realize that no matter what they do, their games won't be invincible? The more security they put in, the harder people will work to try to crack it, just for the fame of it. I predict that not long after the game comes out, someone will release a "play offline" patch for it. Now, I'm no hacker (I hate PSO hackers with a passion; they take all the fun out of the game for those who play legit), but I would be severly tempted to download such a patch. What if I want to play offline and my connection is down? What if I go on a trip and want to play on a laptop, but won't have constant Wi-Fi access?

Thirdly, what'll we do when that dreaded time comes and the servers are shut down and SEGA virtually drops all support for the game? Will those "innocent" PS2 users be allowed to continue playing the game, while those thousands of PC users will be left to stare at a "Could not connect to server" error message?

I see no way that this will work out for SEGA. They've eliminated at least some of their user base in a hopeless attempt to try to prevent hacking which won't work anyways. Smooth move.

I don't think they made a mistake with this. It is the best way to prevent hacking. In FFXI there is virtually no hacking because the game is online only. Only way people have been able to alter any kind of of your online experience is thru using third party programs using bots etc, which SE can detect when you sign on to their service and hopefully Sega will beable to detect them to.

Killuminati
Jul 31, 2006, 05:21 PM
On 2006-07-31 14:33, AeraLure wrote:

On 2006-07-31 13:42, Killuminati wrote:
I also like that they kept the servers seperated becuase after playing FFXI online for quite sometime I know that alot of Japanese gamers don't like playing with anything but Japanese gamers.

I think keeping the choice would have been nice though, and I am still so disappointed that they are separated. Many of my best times in the game were on the JP servers with a mixed group.

My experience was that if you showed no ability to speak any Japanese at all and made no effort whatsoever, however minimal, to try and bridge that gap, even just a simple "Hajimemashite" - anyone can look up a few greetings tanslated into Romanji - then yeah, they might not make any effort to play with you. If you were polite, asked if they minded if you joined, left gracefully if that said no gaijin, etc, then you could make Japanese friends and they would probably eventually speak some English with you. Until they did, play smart, dont play greedy, and make an effort to understand what they were trying to do in team play. I ended my PSO play with mostly Japanese friends and some couldnt speak any English. Amazing what that little bit would do to make you quite welcome even if you were not fluent. Not to imply I would have had that experience on FFXI necessarily. Dont know.

Anyway, the interview seems to imply a time-based sequentially planned rollout of events - at least for the first couple of months - for the online PSU environment. Means to me they should have released globally all at the same time, so I find it hard to understand. For whatever reason they did not or could not, and then yes, that being the case, separating the servers on that logic does make a bit of sense.

I'm not going to take this into a long debate but when playing FFXI that wasn't even an option. Before you even try to invite them to a party they would have this message that said "JP ONLY" meaning Japanese only.

Saner
Jul 31, 2006, 05:44 PM
you really can't blame them. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

like us, they prefer people who fluently know their region's language.

Parn
Jul 31, 2006, 05:48 PM
On 2006-07-31 15:17, Killuminati wrote:
I don't think they made a mistake with this. It is the best way to prevent hacking. In FFXI there is virtually no hacking because the game is online only. Only way people have been able to alter any kind of of your online experience is thru using third party programs using bots etc, which SE can detect when you sign on to their service and hopefully Sega will beable to detect them to.
Mm'kay. I'm using 3rd party software with Final Fantasy XI right now. It's allowing me to run the game in windowed mode and do things like visit message boards at the same time the game is running.

It also happens to be a Japanese-written piece of software, and I've been using it for many, many months. There's no "detecting" going on at all.

Kyunji
Jul 31, 2006, 05:58 PM

Then explain to me this: What's the point of preventing people from playing PSU's extensive offline modes just because they might hack them? This is offline mode. Hacking it won't do anyone else harm. You don't see Square-Enix forcing you to have an Internet connection to play Final Fantasy VII on your PC to prevent you from hacking it, do, you? I can understand anti-hacking programs being run in online mode, but not offline. Besides, what about PS2 players who might use Action Replays/GameSharks/whatever other equivalents the PS2 has to hack? What's to stop them? Also, what about all my other points, such as the user base?

Saner
Jul 31, 2006, 06:05 PM
this is just how bad hacking has forced the industry to take extra measures to try to prevent it.

it is unfair for systems that require online connection to play offline mode (like PC. thankfully PS2 won't require connection to play offline, so all offline-only players out there can enjoy it).

it's kind of like the airports and airplane security nowadays. nowadays you can't even hold a frying pan on your lap while in a plane.

also about your FFVII rant, FFVII doesn't have an online mode. ST took these extra measures for PC because PC is the ultimate tool for doing all sorts of illegal stuff with little to no limits. hacking, emulating, copying, etc. etc. etc.

and especially for a game that tried to offer offline and online, hackers might find a way to weave their way through the offline mode and alter their online factors.

In other words, the potential of hackers is so unpredictable that Sonic Team isn't taking any chances with the PC version.

in the end those extra efforts might be useless but it just goes to show how much more serious they are now about security.

Killuminati
Jul 31, 2006, 06:38 PM
On 2006-07-31 15:58, Kyunji wrote:

Then explain to me this: What's the point of preventing people from playing PSU's extensive offline modes just because they might hack them? This is offline mode. Hacking it won't do anyone else harm. You don't see Square-Enix forcing you to have an Internet connection to play Final Fantasy VII on your PC to prevent you from hacking it, do, you? I can understand anti-hacking programs being run in online mode, but not offline. Besides, what about PS2 players who might use Action Replays/GameSharks/whatever other equivalents the PS2 has to hack? What's to stop them? Also, what about all my other points, such as the user base?

I think the guy above me explained it well the good have to suffer with the bad. But seriously the game is one half as fun when played offline. To me this is more of a online inviroment type game it may not have been that when the series first started but that is what it has become now and offline is only good for finding rares by yourself. There are many successful online only games I think I will mention the most popular out right now WoW.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Killuminati on 2006-07-31 16:39 ]</font>

AeraLure
Jul 31, 2006, 06:45 PM
On 2006-07-31 15:21, Killuminati wrote:

I'm not going to take this into a long debate but when playing FFXI that wasn't even an option. Before you even try to invite them to a party they would have this message that said "JP ONLY" meaning Japanese only.

That would indeed do it. I didnt mean to or wist to take it into a debate either. I simply had a good experience with Japanese players on PSO and am going to miss it. I should leave it at that, outside of the obvious too that the bigger the community the better for the franchise, hence connect everything at all possible (360 included) to the same play base. Its all good. PSU is looking as though it'll keep me happy with it irregardless.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AeraLure on 2006-07-31 16:47 ]</font>

DrewSeleski
Jul 31, 2006, 06:51 PM
A thought just occurred to me... are they going to have seperate jp xbox 360 servers? I think those would be pretty empty http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrewSeleski on 2006-07-31 16:51 ]</font>

Kyunji
Jul 31, 2006, 07:50 PM
On 2006-07-31 16:05, Saner wrote:
this is just how bad hacking has forced the industry to take extra measures to try to prevent it.

it is unfair for systems that require online connection to play offline mode (like PC. thankfully PS2 won't require connection to play offline, so all offline-only players out there can enjoy it).

So, you're assuming that everyone who buys the game has a PS2? Not all of us do, you know. (That includes me.)

it's kind of like the airports and airplane security nowadays. nowadays you can't even hold a frying pan on your lap while in a plane.

also about your FFVII rant, FFVII doesn't have an online mode. ST took these extra measures for PC because PC is the ultimate tool for doing all sorts of illegal stuff with little to no limits. hacking, emulating, copying, etc. etc. etc.

Okay, I'll admit that FFVII was a bad example. What I meant was that if every other game that was offline-only or had an offline-only mode didn't bother to prevent hacking, like, I don't know, whatever new game all the modern gamers are obsessed with, then why should PSU's offline mode bother to prevent hacking? There's no problem with hacking in offline mode, when you can't perform malicious acts to other people. You can only hurt yourself. It's completely seperate from online, too, so one couldn't use offline mode to hack online mode in some way. (Server-side storing, remember?)

and especially for a game that tried to offer offline and online, hackers might find a way to weave their way through the offline mode and alter their online factors.

See above.

In other words, the potential of hackers is so unpredictable that Sonic Team isn't taking any chances with the PC version.

in the end those extra efforts might be useless but it just goes to show how much more serious they are now about security.

Although I don't necessarily agree with Sonic Team's viewpoint on this situation, you may have a point there.

On 2006-07-31 16:38, Killuminati wrote:

I think the guy above me explained it well the good have to suffer with the bad. But seriously the game is one half as fun when played offline. To me this is more of a online inviroment type game it may not have been that when the series first started but that is what it has become now and offline is only good for finding rares by yourself. There are many successful online only games I think I will mention the most popular out right now WoW.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Killuminati on 2006-07-31 16:39 ]</font>

Your message confuses me somewhat, but I'll reply to it the best I can:

It sounds like you're saying that I should accept the need to have an Internet connection just because I need to go online anyways to experience the game fully. Well, keep in mind that not everyone buys the game to play online. While the chances are good that the people you know, whether over the Internet or in real life, will do so, some people will merely want the offline action. These are the types of people who may have a dial-up connection, or none at all. It hardly seems right that they should have a lesser experience with the game or be prevented from playing at all because of this.

Also, you are aware that the game's offline mode is seperate from the online mode, right? It sounds like you view them as being like PSO's from your post.

I don't want to turn this into a flame war (or a long rant by me), but all in all, what I don't understand here is how unfair this is to PC users. SEGA is esentially saying you can only have fun with their product when they want you to. What'll you do when the plug gets pulled on the servers and you find that all that money you spent, be it the $50 to play offline or the possibly hundreds of dollars to play online, was wasted?

Parn
Jul 31, 2006, 08:55 PM
On 2006-07-31 17:50, Kyunji wrote:
What'll you do when the plug gets pulled on the servers and you find that all that money you spent, be it the $50 to play offline or the possibly hundreds of dollars to play online, was wasted?
You'll eventually lose interest in Phantasy Star Universe, just like you did Phantasy Star Online, and you'll move on to the next game.

How is the money "wasted" if you had fun playing the game? Is it the gaming experience that matters, or having some level 200 character with items that matters?

Vetsent
Jul 31, 2006, 09:11 PM
On 2006-07-31 15:58, Kyunji wrote:

I know of some people who if they have a game offline they could hack it to where the Extra Mode was connected to the Online Mode,where there once Extra-Mode-characters-gone-online would have been hacked up in offline mode to the point that they are an annoyance in online,if you understand what I just said.

Killuminati
Aug 1, 2006, 02:40 AM
On 2006-07-31 17:50, Kyunji wrote:

On 2006-07-31 16:05, Saner wrote:

So, you're assuming that everyone who buys the game has a PS2? Not all of us do, you know. (That includes me.)

Okay, I'll admit that FFVII was a bad example. What I meant was that if every other game that was offline-only or had an offline-only mode didn't bother to prevent hacking, like, I don't know, whatever new game all the modern gamers are obsessed with, then why should PSU's offline mode bother to prevent hacking? There's no problem with hacking in offline mode, when you can't perform malicious acts to other people. You can only hurt yourself. It's completely seperate from online, too, so one couldn't use offline mode to hack online mode in some way. (Server-side storing, remember?)

See above.

Although I don't necessarily agree with Sonic Team's viewpoint on this situation, you may have a point there.

On 2006-07-31 16:38, Killuminati wrote:

Your message confuses me somewhat, but I'll reply to it the best I can:

It sounds like you're saying that I should accept the need to have an Internet connection just because I need to go online anyways to experience the game fully. Well, keep in mind that not everyone buys the game to play online. While the chances are good that the people you know, whether over the Internet or in real life, will do so, some people will merely want the offline action. These are the types of people who may have a dial-up connection, or none at all. It hardly seems right that they should have a lesser experience with the game or be prevented from playing at all because of this.

Also, you are aware that the game's offline mode is seperate from the online mode, right? It sounds like you view them as being like PSO's from your post.

I don't want to turn this into a flame war (or a long rant by me), but all in all, what I don't understand here is how unfair this is to PC users. SEGA is esentially saying you can only have fun with their product when they want you to. What'll you do when the plug gets pulled on the servers and you find that all that money you spent, be it the $50 to play offline or the possibly hundreds of dollars to play online, was wasted?

shidoshi
Aug 1, 2006, 12:40 PM
Not to sound like an ass, but I really wish you hadn't posted the entire interview here. I of course want to contribute to the community here, and I didn't come here just to find a cheap way to get new people to come check our site out. However, the site is still my job, and as our website is still pretty small compared to things like IGN, Gamespot, or whatever, visitors do could for us (and me, when it comes to being paid.)

Plus, no matter the site, just taking content they've posted and re-posting it somewhere else to avoid going to the site is typically bad manners.

Vetsent
Aug 1, 2006, 01:03 PM
On 2006-08-01 10:40, shidoshi wrote:
Not to sound like an ass, but I really wish you hadn't posted the entire interview here. I of course want to contribute to the community here, and I didn't come here just to find a cheap way to get new people to come check our site out. However, the site is still my job, and as our website is still pretty small compared to things like IGN, Gamespot, or whatever, visitors do could for us (and me, when it comes to being paid.)

Plus, no matter the site, just taking content they've posted and re-posting it somewhere else to avoid going to the site is typically bad manners.

I know Saner was probably just trying to be nice and all,and I know Saner is a good person(a hell of a member here too),but Saner,you might want to delete that post or edit it to where that isn't in it.

Saner
Aug 1, 2006, 01:13 PM
Xbox Live only supports broadband and they have been successful with some online games. 56k is too outdated for advanced games these days.

also should there be a time when servers are shut down, they could release a patch to play the PC version story mode offline.

look at FF11, online only, no offline modes at all, and look how many countless people have played it and still playing it.

Ya FF11 supports 56k, but for PSO/PSU-style superior action and combat, 56k is not enough for a stable experience.

Vetsent
Aug 1, 2006, 01:20 PM
On 2006-08-01 11:13, Saner wrote:
Xbox Live only supports broadband and they have been successful with some online games. 56k is too outdated for advanced games these days.

also should there be a time when servers are shut down, they could release a patch to play the PC version story mode offline.

look at FF11, online only, no offline modes at all, and look how many countless people have played it and still playing it.

Ya FF11 supports 56k, but for PSO/PSU-style superior action and combat, 56k is not enough for a stable experience.

Not to shoot down your theory,but PSU's 6-players-and-some-enemies-system still isn't running on the same level as World Of Warcraft's-dozens-of-people-fighting-on-a-battle-field-and-still-clear-and-playable-on-56K-system .

Saner
Aug 1, 2006, 01:33 PM
WoW doesn't even look as good as PSU. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

besides both games are made differently to balance visual, technical and operational factors.

Vetsent
Aug 1, 2006, 01:51 PM
On 2006-08-01 11:33, Saner wrote:
WoW doesn't even look as good as PSU. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

besides both games are made differently to balance visual, technical and operational factors.

I know it doesn't look as good as PSU,but graphics are besides the point.Graphics do not affect online speed that much(unless you're playing some extremely low-budget online game).If anything WoW has the higher operating functions when it comes to connecting about 90 battling players at once.Although PSU may look better and be deeper in gameplay,it can't surpass connecting 90 players with it's 6(Although I don't care much for games with dozens of people playing at once).

Edit:The reason I say this with such varility is because I am a dial-up user.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vetsent on 2006-08-01 11:55 ]</font>

phongi
Aug 1, 2006, 05:23 PM
Return of the Wep!
It IS confirmed that some famous weps/items will be making a comeback for PSU. Spacifically "the ones fans have been clamoring for".

return of special weapons....makes me think about

Dark Flow
Dark Meteor
Dark Bridge

and some other stuff like...

Red Ring

DoctorShasta
Aug 1, 2006, 05:28 PM
I loved the Dark weapon series they looked so cool! of course they were all hacked but I hope to god PSU doesn't get hacked like PSO

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 1, 2006, 07:01 PM
I really hope that katanas make a comeback in this game.

Kers
Aug 1, 2006, 07:51 PM
Should we suppose if the PSU J-Sword exists it would consume Photon Points instead of Photon Blast points (which is now essentially the SUV/Nanoblast charge)? Because it would otherwise be limited to Casts and Beasts.

This brings the thought of having PBs that go in the extra slot (like the SUV and Nanoblast). I think having PBs drop as rare items could exist, but only if the PSU PB would be about as effective as the PSO PB. I would then expect no race imbalance, because the Nanoblast and SUV look like they are much more effective.

Anywho, what famous non-weapon items is everyone wanting to see in PSU? I'm Guessing stuff like the Virus Armor, Rico's glasses ( though I haven't seen enimy traps yet), a type of MAG kits for your PM, and the Standstill Shield.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kers on 2006-08-01 17:58 ]</font>

Kyuu
Aug 1, 2006, 08:35 PM
On 2006-08-01 17:51, Kers wrote:

and the Standstill Shield.

There are no barriers/shields in PSU. However, it's always possible there will be something that looks similar that goes in your Extra Unit slot, considering there were already Extra Units in the beta that gave you a flame or electrical effect on your character.

Kers
Aug 1, 2006, 08:40 PM
Oh yeah lol, I got carried away. It was the best shield I got and I loved the look and sound it had for blocking. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

DoctorShasta
Aug 1, 2006, 09:58 PM
Hahaha yea I loved the flaming effect and the mag kits were always cool although I never got my hands on one

Vetsent
Aug 1, 2006, 10:45 PM
On 2006-08-01 18:35, Kyuu wrote:

On 2006-08-01 17:51, Kers wrote:

and the Standstill Shield.

There are no barriers/shields in PSU. However, it's always possible there will be something that looks similar that goes in your Extra Unit slot, considering there were already Extra Units in the beta that gave you a flame or electrical effect on your character.

I haven't seen what the flame or the electric animations look like or have I heard what they really are.Are they like a special add-on to your normal attacks that do extra elemental damage or what?

Kyuu
Aug 2, 2006, 01:45 AM
On 2006-08-01 20:45, Vetsent wrote:

I haven't seen what the flame or the electric animations look like or have I heard what they really are.Are they like a special add-on to your normal attacks that do extra elemental damage or what?

No. The units are just Extra Units that increase your endurance stat a few points, but have the added benefit of giving your character a flame or electric aura kind of thing. It's purely aesthetic.

Eternal255
Aug 2, 2006, 11:03 AM
Return of weapons, eh?

Thats so awesome. Im liking the double class thing, kinda like guildwars, cept guildwars was lame.... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eternal255 on 2006-08-02 09:06 ]</font>

DoctorShasta
Aug 2, 2006, 11:37 AM
Yea guildwars was pretty lame I played it for like 6 days and was like "yea....forget this" which is ood because the concept sounded fairly similar to PSO but it just wasn't good

Vetsent
Aug 7, 2006, 11:16 PM
Well,the interview says there is no snow-covered areas that are naturally snow-covered,so I'm a little disappointed for the story mode for sure will not have a permanent snow-covered level.Now since the online has some extra levels he may not have mentioned one that was exclusive to online.

MAGNUShunter
Aug 7, 2006, 11:22 PM
Hey DoctorShasta, that was pretty much my experience with GW also. Also I heard so much hype from the adds and all my friends that there was no way it had a chance. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

About the above though, I hope they bring back ALL the top-tier weapons from PSO.
(A guy can dream...cant he? *tear*)

Saner
Aug 8, 2006, 02:23 AM
hmph. top tier weapons. you'll just get bored using such overpowered rares. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

l3iohazard
Aug 8, 2006, 04:26 AM
well if i can make 4 differnt characters i guess im makeing a

Pure Hunter beast = HUcast <3
RA/FO RAmarl <3 <3
Pure FOrce Newmen
and i guess some kinda of Human with Expert class stuff

DoctorShasta
Aug 8, 2006, 12:01 PM
I only want a few top-tier weapons brought back I think we shouldn't cling to the past too much it would be cool to have a whole new set of gears

Saner
Aug 8, 2006, 12:28 PM
ya otherwise ppl would complain there's no new rares. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif