PDA

View Full Version : Single Accounts of Two Computer?

NDkEwL
Jul 23, 2006, 06:25 PM
I was wondering, if I bought the game, could I install on two computers in my house so that my brother and I can play at the same time, while having a single account. I don't want to have two Hunter's Licenses just for him and me to have to play together or so that he doesnt conquer my computer, which is really my main purpose. I like having my own computer to myself =/

I want to level without him getting in my way too. So, yeah, can I have a single Hunter's License for two computers since the data is saved on the ST server and not on the computer.

Saner
Jul 23, 2006, 06:28 PM
that won't work. I think you need the disc to play the game.

you don't fully install it on harddrive.

and even if you could, they can tell if two computers are trying to use the same account to play online. it just wouldn' t work.

because if it was possible, people could just go Duke Nukem 3-D style and install the game in all the computers in the library, schools, and neighbors computers. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ShadowTH1000
Jul 23, 2006, 06:31 PM
most online games you can't be logged in twice or it auto kicks the person who was on before it, if you want to play with your brother then you'll have to get 2 HLs. I remember when I gave all my friends my UT2004 CDs and they all used the same CD key to play online lol.

NDkEwL
Jul 23, 2006, 06:31 PM
are you sure you don't fully install onto the hard drive? I mean, FFXI did that, and I think WoW installs it onto the computer completely too. Why wouldn't PSU do the same?

Does anyone know how it worked for PSO on PC's, i played on DC and GC only, wouldnt know about how the PC versions work =/

Saner
Jul 23, 2006, 06:33 PM
PSU most likely doesnt need to fully install because it's not a "persistant world" like those MMORPGs anyway.

in any case, the Guardians License/account can't be used by more than 1 computer at the sametime.

you'll have to get another one.

AeraLure
Jul 23, 2006, 06:41 PM
Whether or not it full installs, I am 99% certain you will not only need two copies of the game you will also need two online accounts for the both of you to play at the same time online.

Remains to be seen if you could have two computers and one copy of the game, one online account, install it on both computers and play at the same time - only one online and one offline. I thought I read somewhere else that you always need an internet connection, even if you are playing offline, which would lead me to believe it might detect that it is active on more than one computer, but honestly, I dont know.

I think you'll have to plan to get two copies of the game and two online accounts. Once you have the two copies of the game, and since you already have the two computers, mostly its a matter of you and your brother each finding a way to come up with the $9/mo or whatever it is. Sorry. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Fleece
Jul 23, 2006, 06:50 PM
Actually i think you do fully install the PC, you need 9 GB of Hard disc space and its a dual layered DVD so that figures perfectly.

Kyuu
Jul 23, 2006, 07:16 PM
... Whether or not it has a "persistent world" is irrelevant to whether or not it would fully install.

Most likely, you'll only need to buy one copy of the game, but you'll still need two accounts. No MMO that I know of will allow two people to get online using the same account.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-07-23 17:18 ]</font>

The-King
Jul 23, 2006, 07:22 PM
Or we can go the whole Simple way and just buy two copys, or one go on PC and the other on PS

Inu_Shadi
Jul 23, 2006, 08:18 PM
Its most likely going to install fully, PSO PC installs fully, So why wouldnt PSU?

NDkEwL
Jul 23, 2006, 08:49 PM
All right, so what I know about games and computer, i think Kyuu was the most right, from past experiences. No offense to anyone. And, FFXI was a "persistant world" if i understand what you meant by the term, and it was fully installed. Thanks everyone for the help, I don't know the use of this thread anymore. lol, i guess i just gonna have to find a way to bunny up 18 (or whatever) bucks a month for the two of us.

Btw, Kyuu, nice title, that was one of my PSO character too...sadly =( He was a nice Skyly cast...

AeraLure
Jul 23, 2006, 08:59 PM
Yeah, but either way I think you would need two copies of the game to get two serial numbers to run the two games simultaneously online, as well as then getting two online accounts to pay for online service for each. You could try just getting one copy of the game, installing it twice, each with the same serial, and then getting two monthly accounts and see what happens. If it doesnt work you could then get a second copy of the game.

A2K
Jul 23, 2006, 09:13 PM
On 2006-07-23 18:18, Inu_Shadi wrote:
Its most likely going to install fully, PSO PC installs fully, So why wouldnt PSU?

Because PSO PC is a free download. You have to go out and buy PSU in a store. I imagine PSU at the very least will have a CD key system or something as a piracy defense.

kassy
Jul 24, 2006, 06:48 PM
You need 2 separate accounts if want to play simultaneously.

If you could use 2 or more characters from one account at the same time, surely people would begin to share accounts, that equalling less money for Sega.

Kyuu
Jul 24, 2006, 10:18 PM
On 2006-07-23 18:59, AeraLure wrote:
Yeah, but either way I think you would need two copies of the game to get two serial numbers to run the two games simultaneously online, as well as then getting two online accounts to pay for online service for each. You could try just getting one copy of the game, installing it twice, each with the same serial, and then getting two monthly accounts and see what happens. If it doesnt work you could then get a second copy of the game.

You assume there'll be "serial numbers" (or CD-keys or something similar). There's a good possbility there won't be. WoW doesn't bother with serial numbers. I dunno about other MMOs, but since their main source of revenue is subscription fees rather than the purchase of the game itself, it seems rather superfluous to bother with schemes to prevent people from going online unless they buy their own copy.

They'll probably earn more money in the end as well, since people who wouldn't have bothered to buy the game will try it out using a friend's disc to install, and then pay the subscription fees once they get hooked.