PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Know If PS3 Will Be Able To Run This Game?

Killuminati
Jul 28, 2006, 02:32 AM
Well I don't have a PS2 and I don't want to buy the PC version although I do think my PC could run it..

Athlon 64 2400 1.7gzh, 1.5gb RAM, Radeon 9600 256mb

But I was just wondering if this game will run on the $499 PS3 as the PS2 version is the one I plan to get.

Sinue_v2
Jul 28, 2006, 02:38 AM
We won't know that until Sony releases an offical BC list, or a BC exclusion list.

Tuxedose
Jul 28, 2006, 04:16 AM
Most ps2 and ps1 games are going to be compatible with Ps3. Sony is aiming very high with backwards compability for their console. I read this quote from http://www.ps3.net aat the news section.

" Sony’s new console will play every PlayStation game ever made, at least according to IBM bigwigs, who have lifted the lid on its rigorous testing phase.

According to Tom Reeves, VP of semiconductor and technology services at the chip maker, which makes the PS3's processor, Sony rejected the console even when it could play all but 40 of its old titles.

That’s an impressive claim, given the thousands of games available for PSone and PS2.

It means that an unbelievable amount of testing has gone into the new console. As Reeves told Reed's Electronic News: “Sony is very concerned about quality and backward compatibility. They want to get this right.”

The claim could put Sony ahead of Microsoft, which has updated the Xbox 360’s software but can still only play around 20 original Xbox games.

Of course, Microsoft has plans to make every Xbox game playable on the console, but at the moment it’s some way off that target."

So from what this article would show it seem like they are really serious. So I bet Psu will work as well since it such a big game. Oh and they only say Playstation games in the article but I think that include ps2 games as well.

Zinsian
Jul 28, 2006, 04:16 AM
Im pretty sure the PS3 Compatibilty is Hardware designed similar to the PS2... PSU for PS2 should have no problem running on PS3...unlike the 360... pisses me off i cant play PSO on my 360 since my old xbox broke... T.T cries in a corner....(dam Microsoft... i mean COME! ON!! the old Spiderman game for xbox is supported but not PSO... WTF OMFG LMAO!!!!)

parabolee
Jul 28, 2006, 12:01 PM
Well from what I heard the PS3 takes the lazy but effective route for PS2 backwards compatabillity. That is it effectivly includes a PS2 inside the box. The PS3 has the main processor and graphics chip from the PS2 which it will use exclusively for backwards compatability.

Because of this pretty much every single game will work. At the current time of testing only 40 did not work (but they didn't say how many they tested only that it was a lot). I would imagine by launch they could very well have fixed the problems preventing those few from working.

I would say that PSU has a 99% chance of working on PS3. Plus PS3 will probably get it's own version at some point with all the released downloadable missions. Like a PSU+ or V2 .

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: parabolee on 2006-07-28 10:03 ]</font>

ShinMaruku
Jul 28, 2006, 01:22 PM
I will run most likly becuase it got the emotions engine in it. (Quite clever)
So yes, it will run and will look like the others becuase mearly the resolution.

_Tek_
Jul 28, 2006, 04:27 PM
aren't most new games that have been made for ps2 all pretty running the same engines, since the most recent games on ps2 have been trying to make the graphics look as good as possible to compete with the other new gen system?

or am i full of bs?

vitius137
Jul 28, 2006, 06:15 PM
i heard that the $499 PS3 doesnt support online....... im not sure about that though.

Cruisectrl
Jul 28, 2006, 06:20 PM
thats bull it does

A2K
Jul 28, 2006, 07:01 PM
I don't know where you people are getting this, but the Playstation 3 does NOT contain PS2 components. (I believe that was merely a rumor.) Any backwards compatibility has to be done via software emulation, like Xbox 360's BC with original Xbox titles.

Ergh, on another note, I'm not very happy about Microsoft moving focus away from backwards compatibility (that's 200 titles, not 20). About half of the games I own aren't compatible--it seems as if I'll be keeping my old one around for some time.

Fleece
Jul 28, 2006, 07:36 PM
Your Pc will run PSU at medium settings....Im assuming you have 512 MB of memory or more.

Zinsian
Jul 28, 2006, 08:03 PM
They will have most of the games supported, but only in time. LoL. Atleast thats what they said.

shadow4
Jul 28, 2006, 08:33 PM
You can only play offline on the $499 PS3. It doesn't have online play, and you can't upgrade. The $599 PS3 should be compatible with online PSU, however.

Fleece
Jul 28, 2006, 09:11 PM
didnt notice your memory earlier, yeah your PC will run PSU no problems.

Oji_Retta
Jul 28, 2006, 10:09 PM
On 2006-07-28 18:33, shadow4 wrote:
You can only play offline on the $499 PS3.

I don't think so since technically all you need is to plug in a modem to get internet access and the reduced model can do that. So? I think that is an 'X'? But maybe I'm not up to date or somethin

A2K
Jul 28, 2006, 10:28 PM
ENOUGH WITH THE MISINFORMATION!!!

You can play online with any PS3. What the cheaper PS3 lacks is built-in WiFi. It still has an Ethernet port. The cheaper model will also lack a flash card reader, HDMI ports (important for HD video), and will only have a 20 GB hard disk as opposed to the 60 GB included with the $599 model.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-07-28 20:29 ]</font>

Kers
Jul 28, 2006, 11:17 PM
Having the ability to connect with the internet won't give you the service, such as Xbox Live Silver and Gold, which the ps3 will probably copy.

I'm too lazy to pull up the original ps3 specs, stuff like no backwards compatibility, a wacky controller that would come back to you when you threw it, an even larger price with no choice of a downgrade... but I bring some of these up to show Sony has had no idea of what they should market. In my opinion, it's all based on limited statistics of what makes a gaming platform successful. This brought my view of Sony being aloof when it comes to customer care. But anyways, many great game developers exist on Sony's paltforms. If Sega makes a great profit on PSU there could be a continuation (one possibly like the episodes of PSO, thus including the original PSU). If the continuation of PSU releases during or after the time the ps3 comes out, the PS2 would then probably be dumped (just like Mircosoft did with PSU for Xbox).

Here's a part of the article displayed on the PSOW home page that answers your question:

PSOW: Are there any plans to bring Phantasy Star Universe to other platforms, such as the Nintendo Wii or Sony's Playstation 3?

(The question seems to get a laugh out of Miyoshi-san and his translator, and we have a feeling it's due to the new name of the system formerly known as the Revolution)

Takao Miyoshi: We are not thinking about it for the Wii or Playstation 3 at this time. I think we may take a closer look at those platforms after we get some feedback from you guys in regards to how you will be able to play on those platforms and what would make the game enjoyable on them.

PSOW: Would you like to bring the game to these platforms?

Takao Miyoshi: (smiling and making sword striking gestures) Yeah, it would be a lot of fun to play the game with the Wii controller. You could do it with the PS3 controller also (imitates playing on a motion sensitive PS3 controller, appearing to have lost control while tilting left and right rapidly and making loud exclamation noises). It would be nice to play a driving area with a controller like that, maybe something that snakes around on the ground.

Carlo210
Jul 28, 2006, 11:32 PM
Well, Sony went back to their regular dual shock controller design (ps1 and ps2) because no one liked their 'boomerang' design.

Anywho, who cares.

Kers
Jul 28, 2006, 11:41 PM
On 2006-07-28 21:32, Carlo210 wrote:
Well, Sony went back to their regular dual shock controller design (ps1 and ps2) because no one liked their 'boomerang' design.

Anywho, who cares.

I'm too lazy to pull up the original ps3 specs, stuff like ...

Yes, Carlo. I just mentioned it and some other mistakes to show that Sony has had no idea of how to connect the ps3 with the consumers, to leave the idea that they will not establish the connection in the future.

ShinMaruku
Jul 28, 2006, 11:50 PM
Oh they have foudn a way to connect it to the consumers they jsut make no moves as it's summer and they keep rapping "cheap" so while it seems so, the execs are concered about the price.
But yes, both PS3 will have online and the first few batches of PS3 will have the emotion engine inside of it.
Appenarlty the Wii and the PSA3 will have some expansion or companin pack to PSU any other way would be daft.

Kers
Jul 29, 2006, 12:04 AM
Not that I'm buying a PS3, but I hope you're right that they will eventually show their care for the customer. The more game platforms the better, right?

ShinMaruku
Jul 29, 2006, 12:30 AM
Oh they care to the extnact all corparations care, it's jsut that at this moment peopel are too hard on them.

Killuminati
Jul 29, 2006, 04:39 AM
On 2006-07-28 17:36, Fleece wrote:
Your Pc will run PSU at medium settings....Im assuming you have 512 MB of memory or more.

I have 1.5gb thatnks for all the responses.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Killuminati on 2006-07-29 02:43 ]</font>