PDA

View Full Version : Section IDs: replaced by something worse?

Tycho
Jul 30, 2006, 11:28 AM
The speculation in this thread is hypothetical, and is mostly based on the assumption that game accounts will be limited to a single Partner Machinery (confirmation from the beta? proof of the opposite?), and on a quote from this guide (http://pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2444) (Ctrl-F 'give an item'); namely that a PM's stats (the equivalents of the old Def, Pow, Dex and Mind) will be able to influence its proficiency (success rate? required time?) in synthesizing certain items. It has not been stated wether this effect works directly, or indirectly through the current evolutionary species of the PM in question, but for the sake of this argument this is not much of an issue.

If so-called 'uber-rare' items will be available through synthesis, then people might prefer having the crafting process done by a PM with the highest possible proficiency in it that they have access to. This could result in players wanting to raise their PM to specialize in one direction (ignoring the case of players planning to raise their PM with optimum battle support as a primary goal), so as to split up crafting tasks among friends they confide in to achieve a higher level of efficiency and to reduce synthesis failure risks, at the cost of a higher interpersonal dependence.

Of course, in the case PMs are only limited to one per character, the above speculation would be pretty much voided. But if it really will be anything like that, it would seem that Sega found a more flexible alternative to the Section IDs from PSO, with as a primary difference that (in the case stats rather than evolution affect synthesis capacities) specialization will be possible in different degrees (perhaps by raising a PM so that its stats would be more all-round for example), and secondly, that this branch and level of specialization will be bound to game accounts, rather than to characters, which in PSO:BB allowed for four out of ten possible IDs to be chosen per account, at the cost of having to level up more than a single character.

What do you people think about this? Would you regard this as a positive development compared to the old system? Would you prefer for all characters and accounts to have identical chances of obtaining certain items regardless of choices such as these? Maybe something totally different? Opinions appreciated.

Numnuttz
Jul 30, 2006, 11:42 AM
lol people are so lazy to read now and days. My thoughts though is if they do make you have only one PM there will be people only creating them for crafting. This can be both good and bad depending on how the game is and how a player plays. In a way this is similar to section IDs of the past. People usually made different people for different ID;s for rare drops. Since in PSU you can have more than one character again i see no real difference from PM and section ID's since people will be making them a certain way just to get the rare items. But this is still early to say since the game is still not out. Maybe Pm's will all be able to create all rare weapons. Even though this is highly unlikely. But the game comes out in Japan at the end of August and by that time im sure all our speculations of the game will finally end and our desire for it will rise even more.

Tycho
Jul 30, 2006, 11:45 AM
@Carlo210:
It was a witty reply by Asim he deleted again. >_<

@Numnuttz:
Yeah, that's sort of what I was saying.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tycho on 2006-07-30 09:57 ]</font>

Inazuma
Jul 30, 2006, 12:08 PM
i hope there is a "pm reset" item we can use to revert our pm back to its original form and stats. i dont wanna have to start my char over just cuz i made a mistake w/ the pm. itd be like psogc and materials all over again.

Saner
Jul 30, 2006, 02:11 PM
being able to find all types of items, rares and materials is better, it's only fair.

I don't mind a single PM available. even if a PM can't be skilled at synthesising all types of items. I rather have that than not being able to ever find specific types of items.

yes people could make multiple characters and then transfer the items, but not everyone wants to bother with going through that whole process.

in any case, the Bank system lets your 4 characters share items, so in that case, develop each of the 4 PMs differently, and there you have it. a solution.

the other solution would be some possible option to reset your PM, but I don't think that will be necessary.
2-4 characters, a bank and 2-4 differently developed PMs may be all you need to make what you want if you plan on being a synthesize expert.

Tycho
Jul 30, 2006, 02:30 PM
In case you can have four different PMs, yeah.

DrewSeleski
Jul 30, 2006, 02:34 PM
Oh yeah, since your character's all share the same room they might all have the same PM? That would be kinda strange if you started a new character and already had a leveled up PM that's stronger than him to fight with

Saner
Jul 30, 2006, 02:52 PM
they don't share the same room, they share the same bank, that's all.

therefore they each have their own PM.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 30, 2006, 03:00 PM
no, I heard your chars are gonna have different rooms, but the same bank. hopefully not the same machinery thingie, that'll uber suck.

oops, seems you beat me to it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shiroryuu on 2006-07-30 13:04 ]</font>

Saner
Jul 30, 2006, 03:01 PM
since its different rooms, it will be different PMs.

each character is still saved separately. so they have their own personal stuff and own personal PM.

AvianKaitos
Jul 30, 2006, 03:05 PM
It would suck to have siblings stealing your stuff though.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 30, 2006, 03:05 PM
ok, super awesome

Tycho
Jul 30, 2006, 03:06 PM
Good, glad to hear that. I wouldn't mind having the thread locked at this point.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jul 30, 2006, 03:07 PM
yeah, I have a brother who's probably gonna play this game too so yeah, I get where you're going. hopefully we'll be different jobs though since he seems to be more into being a Force.

Saner
Jul 30, 2006, 03:09 PM
they can't steal your stuff if you store your items in your PM instead of the bank.

but if they switch to and load your character data.....then..... well change your account password. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Mewn
Jul 30, 2006, 03:52 PM
On 2006-07-30 13:06, Tycho wrote:
Good, glad to hear that. I wouldn't mind having the thread locked at this point.

With that said, I'd have thought there was more room for discussion on this new system and how it relates to Section IDs, even if you can have 4 PMs per account.

Saner
Jul 30, 2006, 04:12 PM
well section IDs greatly limited the types of drops you could ever find.

so I'm glad they removed section IDs.

DoctorShasta
Jul 30, 2006, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't mind that, I think It would be cool having like a "Master Synthesizer" that everyone wants to have synthesize their stuff

doulin35
Aug 1, 2006, 06:55 PM
1st rule of online gaming..or anything: just never give out your password.... it is really quite simple.

DoctorShasta
Aug 1, 2006, 07:06 PM
Uhmmm....what? that didn't really have to do with what we were talking about

zandra117
Aug 1, 2006, 08:25 PM
This is another reason why player shops are a good addition to this game. If you can't synthesize an item just buy it from someones shop.

DoctorShasta
Aug 1, 2006, 10:01 PM
Or like I kinda said earlier you could have someone be like a "blacksmith" and you could hire them to synthesize items. And it would be cool if there was an extremely rare or expensive item that you could only use for one synthesizing but made the synthesizing % of success increase a lot