PDA

View Full Version : anyone know when the US beta is coming out?

blackmajik
Jul 30, 2006, 11:50 AM
i feel like it should be coming out soon since the JP game releases in about a month. I really wanna play some PSU and i was hoping the US beta would come out soon after the jp release. if anyone has any info id appreciate it.

Kyunji
Jul 30, 2006, 11:55 AM
We have no information, mostly because we don't even know if there will be a U.S. beta period, open or closed. Although it is supposedly a possibility, as said in the E3 interview, I suspect that there won't be, given the usual neglect of the U.S. market. Then again, Blue Burst had an open beta, so who knows.

Also, within half an hour, I predict Saner will make a "Don't worry, there's a 200% chance of there being a 6 month U.S. open beta!!" post in this topic.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyunji on 2006-07-30 09:55 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyunji on 2006-07-30 09:59 ]</font>

DrewSeleski
Jul 30, 2006, 11:57 AM
There shouldn't be any need for another beta since running the servers is probably the same over here as it is over there.

blackmajik
Jul 30, 2006, 12:00 PM
thats really upsetting, i would buy the jp version if they dident have split servers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blackmajik on 2006-07-30 10:11 ]</font>

Kyuu
Jul 30, 2006, 12:25 PM
On 2006-07-30 09:57, DrewSeleski wrote:
There shouldn't be any need for another beta since running the servers is probably the same over here as it is over there.

You think that obtaining more data was the reason they released the PS2 Premiere Discs? The purpose of releasing a beta would not be to actually beta test, but as a teaser for marketing purposes.

Kimil
Jul 30, 2006, 12:32 PM
On 2006-07-30 10:25, Kyuu wrote:

You think that obtaining more data was the reason they released the PS2 Premiere Discs? The purpose of releasing a beta would not be to actually beta test, but as a teaser for marketing purposes.

Yup, Kyuu is right. This PS2 beta is to advertise the game

Nisshoku
Jul 30, 2006, 12:34 PM
A Beta for PSU here in the US looks highly unlikely.

DrewSeleski
Jul 30, 2006, 12:34 PM
On 2006-07-30 10:25, Kyuu wrote:

Then... shouldn't they release Premiere Discs here instead of a beta if they want to do that? You're getting the two confused I think O.o
EDIT: A beta is a stage of testing, so it's a bit different than the Premire discs, those are what are called demos

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrewSeleski on 2006-07-30 10:36 ]</font>

Kyuu
Jul 30, 2006, 12:37 PM
On 2006-07-30 10:34, DrewSeleski wrote:

Then... shouldn't they release Premiere Discs here instead of a beta if they want to do that? You're getting the two confused I think O.o

Um, I think you're getting confused as to what the difference is between the Premiere Discs and an open beta. Which is to say, there is no difference.

Not sure why you edited your post to reply instead of just replying, but okay. I think you're misunderstanding the whole point of this thread. No one really cares if it's a release for the purposes of testing or not. They're asking for an open beta so they can play the game before it's released and stop having to vent their impatience on these boards. If they released an "open beta" to "stress test" the US servers, do you really think it'd be about testing? Nope, it'd be marketing. They got all the data they needed from their own game testers and the closed beta from earlier. Doesn't matter if you call it a beta, a Premiere Disc, a demo, or an Uber Gestaculation Release; it's marketing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-07-30 10:43 ]</font>

DrewSeleski
Jul 30, 2006, 12:42 PM
Even if the content is the same on the user end, running a beta and releasing a demo are two very different things

Authenticate
Jul 30, 2006, 12:45 PM
Heck, they may release a demo for some PS2 magazine here in the states in a month or two. Seriously, how could that be a bad thing, especially if the demo helps that magazine sell more issues AND gets PSU free-ish advertising?

I'm not counting on it though. SoA likes to let games sell themselves or something.

Kyuu
Jul 30, 2006, 12:45 PM
On 2006-07-30 10:42, DrewSeleski wrote:
Even if the content is the same on the user end, running a beta and releasing a demo are two very different things

The difference between running a beta and releasing a demo are irrelevant, as this thread's purpose is not to debate about that.

DrewSeleski
Jul 30, 2006, 12:46 PM
On 2006-07-30 10:37, Kyuu wrote:

On 2006-07-30 10:34, DrewSeleski wrote:

Um, I think you're getting confused as to what the difference is between the Premiere Discs and an open beta. Which is to say, there is no difference.

Not sure why you edited your post to reply instead of just replying, but okay. I think you're misunderstanding the whole point of this thread. No one really cares if it's a release for the purposes of testing or not. They're asking for an open beta so they can play the game before it's released and stop having to vent their impatience on these boards. If they released an "open beta" to "stress test" the US servers, do you really think it'd be about testing? Nope, it'd be marketing. They got all the data they needed from their own game testers and the closed beta from earlier. Doesn't matter if you call it a beta, a Premiere Disc, a demo, or an Uber Gestaculation Release; it's marketing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-07-30 10:43 ]</font>

I didn't edit instead of replying, if you check you can see I edited before you posted. What happened was I thought of something I left out before you replied so instead of double posting I edited it in.

Saner
Jul 30, 2006, 01:36 PM
they are doing all the necessary testing in Japan.

realistically, since servers are separate, U.S. might have it's own beta but we are very close to its release.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/cone.gif
unless there is a beta in September, a U.S. beta won't happen.

as for a demo, I can't recall the last time there was a playable PSO demo for the consoles, I don't think there were, just trailers.

so ya, there you have it! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

DarK-SuN
Jul 30, 2006, 02:06 PM
The only PSO version that ever had a demo was PSOPC, which had two demos in fact.
The first demo only contained Forest 1, had no sound, you were stuck to being a HUmar and there were no drops nor menus to navigate; it was obviously a very alpha version demo of PSOPC.
The second demo was an online only demo with the entire Forest level, ending in the Dragon Boss, with the only drawback that you couldn't save your character; it shared the same code of the final game.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for a PSU demo or beta outside Japan.
They could surprise us and pull a PSOBB with PSU in that regard, but don't count on it.

blackmajik
Jul 30, 2006, 02:17 PM
psobb shared a worldwide beta though. so its kinda different.

Saner
Jul 30, 2006, 02:22 PM
well its slated for Japan in August so it's pretty much ready,
they are adding the final touches in the meantime. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Fleece
Jul 30, 2006, 02:24 PM
There was a PSO demo on the PC

Saner
Jul 30, 2006, 02:26 PM
ya but PC is a different story. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

but anyways demos probably won't be announced until maybe September or something.

and who knows maybe a U.S. demo might not be released until after the game comes out. that's possible too.

DoctorShasta
Jul 30, 2006, 05:19 PM
Yea I agree it just doesn't seem likely sega will throw us a bone here we'll just have to wait it out.

Tystys
Jul 30, 2006, 07:35 PM
I'm happy that they aren't releasing a US beta, because this means they can focus their resources more towards actually releasing the damn game.

AeraLure
Jul 30, 2006, 07:41 PM
I dont think the US will have a beta since the only difference would be translation. Very slim chance on a demo a la something like the Premier Disc, but since that sort of thing also doesnt really happen over here much, a demo is more likely to be a limited thing on a magazine disc, if indeed at all. I do wish (and hope) SoA markets PSU over here more.

Saner
Jul 30, 2006, 11:09 PM
ya they should be releasing trailers already for Xbox360 marketplace, that's a good place to promote their game too.

hmmm they might wait another month before advertising more in U.S.

Inu_Shadi
Jul 30, 2006, 11:32 PM
Blueburst had a open Beta! They could have a PC Only Open BETA that way all people would have to do is download a bit of online mode! it could be a 1 week BETA! and then we could wait for the game to come out!

DraginHikari
Jul 31, 2006, 12:24 AM
PSOBB was a different story as far as the online portion with because there were merely trying to adverise like said already.

As far as a beta with SoA lack of display on this game so far it seems rather likely. Other then the blunt page they got for it, you wouldn't know this game was coming here at all XD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DraginHikari on 2006-07-30 22:28 ]</font>

Tystys
Jul 31, 2006, 01:37 AM
They're probably not going even try releasing the english site until they have the Japananese version of the game, O_O.

Saner
Jul 31, 2006, 01:39 AM
ya this is madness. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/burger.gif

this is the best and most promising game Sonic Team has come up with by far.

it needs more U.S. promotional backing from Sega! and I mean like now, because not everyone is aware of it and the game is coming in like less than 90 days.

Kyuu
Jul 31, 2006, 01:42 AM
As much as I hate to say it, I agree with Saner. A US beta (or demo, if you insist) would be a good idea, and more marketing is really need by Sega of America. PSU has a lot of promise, and the few people I've shown PSU to (including a member of my old WoW guild) are always very impressed and interested. I remember seeing an advertisement for Shadow the Hedgehog in a movie theatre once (and I was very taken aback to see a Sega ad at all). PSU is much, much more promising than that game ever was, and certainly deserves some actual marketing.

Saner
Jul 31, 2006, 01:48 AM
ya they need magazine ads of PSU in U.S. and commercials.

Movie theatre advertisements would be wonderful!!!

Sega should learn from Halo 2 and Zelda and other games that have been greatly promoted through theatre advertising!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

ya with what they's done online, that's great but not everyone has access to internet so they gotta spread the word in the theatres, magazines, etc. etc. etc.

cause it's closer than ever before and with 3 consoles getting this game they have to get the word out.

We already done our part as much as we can but it's really professional and well made advertising that can draw in more crowds. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

kassy
Aug 1, 2006, 10:37 AM
The only people here arguing for a US beta are people who just want to play the game earlier.

If you're impartial you'll realize a US beta isn't needed so long as they have a decent marketing strategy to get people aware of this game.

Tystys
Aug 1, 2006, 11:44 AM
On 2006-08-01 08:37, kassy wrote:
The only people here arguing for a US beta are people who just want to play the game earlier.

If you're impartial you'll realize a US beta isn't needed so long as they have a decent marketing strategy to get people aware of this game.

Pretty much took the words right out of my mouth, lol.

I don't think they're even going to start advertising the game until like mid September. I mean think about it. Advertising the game would do absolutely nothing. The game is about 3-5 months away, so why advertise the damn game in the first place? Usually, game companies wait until they have an release date that they are sure they can agree on. I mean, PSU could be delayed even more or even brought foward depending on whether or not they finish earlier with the debugging process or translations, O_O. If they've waited this long, something tells me that something is in the way that's really preventing them from releasing an actual release date. I mean, look at the Sega Site....all we have to go on is the "projected release date" on most game store sites, -_-

So, no, advertisement is NOT needed this early.

Saner
Aug 1, 2006, 11:46 AM
ya true. it's really the fans that make up most of the sales.

but ya, this game is coming in U.S. in October.

so it's like less than 90 days away.
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Tystys
Aug 1, 2006, 11:49 AM
EDIT: OK, that post almost made no sense, lmao. I'm just trying to say that PSU will attract more fans than bring in the old ones, mainly because one of the biggest reasons behind this is because alot of PSO fans say it's just an upgraded version of PSO.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tystys on 2006-08-01 09:51 ]</font>

turtle323
Aug 1, 2006, 12:19 PM
Lol I dont know i ask so many people do u know wat psu is or pso and they said what the hell is that. So many people who would love psu dont know about it, AND I BLAME SEGA FOR THIS

Saner
Aug 1, 2006, 12:26 PM
hey I'm a PSO veteran and PSU is far more than just a PSO upgrade.

true PSO fans would appreciate it and value it even more. this is not PSO5/6/7/whatever. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Kyuu
Aug 1, 2006, 12:27 PM
On 2006-08-01 09:49, Tystys wrote:
EDIT: OK, that post almost made no sense, lmao. I'm just trying to say that PSU will attract more fans than bring in the old ones, mainly because one of the biggest reasons behind this is because alot of PSO fans say it's just an upgraded version of PSO.

You just explained why advertising is needed. Advertising brings in new fans rather than just relying on the old consumer-base of PSO fans. And no one is saying that there should be an aggressive marketing campaign until about a month before release, but a beta (or demo) is a very good way of increasing awareness and growing a fan base before the game comes out.

And normally I have much respect for what you say, Kassy, but that was just... foolish. If we're partially motivated by a desire to be able to play a bit of PSU before it's released, so what? Let's say a drug company finds a cure for cancer. Now their primary reason for researching, developing, and distributing said cure would be to make money, because they're a corporation. Since they have a selfish motive, does that mean they shouldn't release the cure that can save the lives of all those cancer patients?

Just because we may have some selfish motivation for wanting a beta or demo doesn't in any way negate the fact that it is, in fact, good marketing, and would be good for the game and its success.

Saner
Aug 1, 2006, 01:18 PM
well Sega Sammy sales have been collected.

News - Sega Sammy

Japanese game conglomerate Sega Sammy reported that their earnings for the most recent fiscal quarter, which ended on June 30, were down 93 percent from the same quarter one year ago.

That is to say, in April, May, and June of 2005, the company earned 93 million dollars; in the same amount of time this year, they only earned 6.8 million.

Sega Sammy sold 680,000 units in the United States in that quarter, and a majority of those games were from the Sonic franchise.

Sega, however, isn't concerned, saying that the earnings report was right around their expectations.

Source: Next-Gen.biz

so ya, promoting a game takes a lot of money, so ya they don't wanna advertise foolishly.

but sometimes I question their advertising because some commercials and ads for some games from many companies just aren't worth the money that was spent to make them.

UltimateCarl
Aug 1, 2006, 01:54 PM
but sometimes I question their advertising because some commercials and ads for some games from many companies just aren't worth the money that was spent to make them.

Kinda' like every Sonic game since Adventure 2?

I can see where there wouldn't be a Beta; it's too close to release, SEGA hates us, it's financially risky...

But I can also see where there would be one. Granted we're getting the same updates as Japan (only later) and SEGA's preference for Japan, they could be testing for the different tastes Japanese and American gamers have, but I doubt they would. However, the servers are separate. I think that warrants some extra testing, so why is everyone else tossing this one out the window? Just because they already tested the Japanese server, even if the other server is indentical it would be stupid to not do some kind of stress test. I realize they have ways other than a Beta to do this, though.

But, yeah, a stress test, and then just for advertising like said before. Sure it could take money and it's a bit of a gamble, but with the raw underground support that the PS series has in the US, they'll make their money on fan purchases alone. Why not go ahead and try to draw in some other fans? I think it's an interesting strategy. On the DC, the original PSO seemingly came from nowhere. It was a breath of fresh air. PSU is unique enough that I think it could do the same thing, and how better to demonstrate what a great game it is than to make people's first exposure to it be the actual gameplay?

But, yeah. As much as I want to play it and soon (See? Greedy and admitting it! XD) it's doubtful they'll have one here. On the flipside, for importers there's only 30 days left!