PDA

View Full Version : the Japanese XBOX360 version is in danger!!!! ghost town ce

Saner
Aug 1, 2006, 12:48 AM
I noticed someone post this:

On 2006-07-31 16:51, DrewSeleski wrote:
A thought just occurred to me... are they going to have seperate jp xbox 360 servers? I think those would be pretty empty http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrewSeleski on 2006-07-31 16:51 ]</font>

THAT"S RIGHT!!! This is shocking!!!!

whoa I wonder if Sonic Team realizes this.

separating the regions would cause a blackhole in the Xbox360 community. barely anyone in Japan would buy the Xbox360 version, and if they are isolated from US Xbox360, then the Xbox360 version is screwed if it's not at least linked to the other systems!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

so there are 2 options to avoid a population crisis:

*Xbox360 version has Japan and U.S. regions linked for that version only.

*or Xbox360 is linked to PC and PS2 servers in their own region.

but things are not looking good for them.

I mean its obvious almost no one in Japan even has or wants a Xbox360, so then what would Japanese 360 owners have to look forward to online if there is only like 11 people online at different times of the day?

the U.S. Xbox360 community, even isolated, might not be as small as a isolated Japan Xbox360 community.

but this is quite a predicament for them. how will Sonic Team solve this?????

Roffkaiser
Aug 1, 2006, 12:55 AM
Well i think there are at most 300,000 Japanese 360's so lets say a 10th of them get this game, that is 10,000 people. So probably at the most you will see is in the hundreds online at any time, maybe a couple thousand.

Of course I am sure PSU will sell more than 1/10th but I wonder if the people that own 360's would rather just play on their PS2 or PC with their friends?

Numnuttz
Aug 1, 2006, 01:07 AM
hmm what to say, i think sonic team might be in trouble in the 360 market for psu. mainly because no one really wants a 360 in japan. but who knows maybe psu will cause ppl to buy a 360 since pso/psu is such a big game that many people in japan like so much.

Saner
Aug 1, 2006, 01:21 AM
but why buy a X360 when they might more likely buy a PS2 or already have a PS2 or PC for it?

and 10,000 is very small even for an online game because you have to break that down into periods of the day that they play the game. etc. etc. the results are sketchy but Japanese Xbox360 version buyers might more than likely play PSU on another system cause otherwise their community and people they meet won't even be 1/10 of the other systems.

of course you only need 1-5 for a party but still, online games like this depend on a healthy community to keep things varied and lively. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Roffkaiser
Aug 1, 2006, 01:23 AM
I really hope Sega recognizes this and acts upon it so we all can play together like one big happy family! Well at least with our fellow systems, I don't mind the regional barriers because I don't speak Japanese.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Roffkaiser on 2006-07-31 23:24 ]</font>

MUDGRIP
Aug 1, 2006, 01:25 AM
If the game is updated and kept hacked free there will be plenty of US360 player's for this game. Just like when it Pso ep1and2 was released in Easter of 03 for xbox. All of the Apatite was fully and there were plenty of ppl on the other ships as well. Everyone left when they saw absolutly no content for their money and the fact that most ppl had every item in the game in the first 2 months.

So IMO as long as the game is done right and updated the 360 version of this game will have a large community in its own right.

Roffkaiser
Aug 1, 2006, 01:37 AM
We are referring to the Japanese market and not the American which is what causes the problem of there not being that large of a crowd to pull to the game in the first place.

Lyrise
Aug 1, 2006, 01:55 AM
I have a few friends in Japan, and they're all telling me the same thing. If anyone there has a 360, it's pretty much certain that they have a PS2 as well, and having a PC on top of it is fact. In Japan, the 360 only caters to the extremely hardcore and/or niche gamers; those that must have all the systems, and the smaller community of people who enjoy first-person shooters. Since the biggest genres in Japan are usually RPGs, and strategy games, both of which the 360 severely lack, there's even less reason for Japanese people to buy an X360 (This is the main reason why the PS2 is killing everything else in sales).

To get to the point, they're smart enough to know that the 360 version of PSU isn't going to do so hot and get a different version. Besides, at this point, the results will still be onesided seeing that there still is NOT an official release date for the 360 version. If anything, I still think the 360 versions will have a sizeable community of players. It's just that pretty much none of it will fall under Japanese players.

DrewSeleski
Aug 1, 2006, 01:58 AM
So should they decide not to sell a xbox360 JP version in Japan then?

Lyrise
Aug 1, 2006, 02:03 AM
There are too many unknown factors present preventing an accurate response as to what should happen. Will the servers be isolated end-of-story? (Seeing as at the moment, nothing regarding that issue is absolutely set in stone) Is there an *appealing* advantage to buying the 360 version over the other 2 versions? Are they even willing to wait even longer for it to release?

Basically questions like those would need to be answered before anything can be ultimately decided on.

hypersaxon
Aug 1, 2006, 02:39 AM
I could care less what goes on in other countries. As long as the game is fun for me, I'll be happy and content.

My life isn't going to end because 10 Japanese people bought the 360 version of PSU http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

parabolee
Aug 1, 2006, 08:09 AM
SEGA will have thought of this months ago before they decided tp port PSU to 360. They obviously feel that there will either be enough player on the 360 in Japane or they have a soloution for it.

AeraLure
Aug 1, 2006, 08:37 AM
On 2006-07-31 23:55, Lyrise wrote:
I have a few friends in Japan, and they're all telling me the same thing. If anyone there has a 360, it's pretty much certain that they have a PS2 as well, and having a PC on top of it is fact. In Japan, the 360 only caters to the extremely hardcore and/or niche gamers; those that must have all the systems, and the smaller community of people who enjoy first-person shooters. Since the biggest genres in Japan are usually RPGs, and strategy games, both of which the 360 severely lack, there's even less reason for Japanese people to buy an X360 (This is the main reason why the PS2 is killing everything else in sales).

This is my understanding also. SEGA may have two server groups and be looking at it that way, ie the PS2/PC group and the 360 group. Each group is not connected and has a JP and US/EU set of servers, each of these subgroups (regions) also not connected.

In the case of the 360, its probably one server (or a couple) for the JP version and more for the US/EU side of things. They've full knowledge the JP 360 side will be underpopulated and maybe not hold its own financially, but the US/EU side will do fine and more than make up for it.

Grouped under an umbrella like that, 360 population differences arent as worrisome to SEGA. Of course says nothing about the JP 360 players who wouldnt be happy being isolated, so the whole things feeds itself and I'd expect like Lyrise says, very very few Japanese players are likely to be on the JP 360 unless SEGA pulls through at the last minute and connects the platform servers, just not the regions. This was probably planned from early stages, but a few things are currently making it a challenge.

DoctorShasta
Aug 1, 2006, 10:48 AM
As sega has proven they don't care much about the 360 version and I think they know that the JP servers will be empty but they don't care because the US/EU will have people in them, like Aera said

Rubesahl
Aug 1, 2006, 10:52 AM
No offense to 360 players but isn't it weird that Sega made announced a 360 version after the others being announced? Not to mention the 360 version is going to be released near winter in Japan. I'm pretty sure they know they're releasing a game in their country in an unpopular system. It was probably part of the agreement while negotiating with Microsoft since they want more JPN games for the 360. In the US version's case, I'm pretty sure it'll go reasonably well and probably with a stable community. This also depends on how much promotion they give the game but 360 players are aching to have some type of online multiplayer that isn't FPS.

Anyways I don't think the Japanese players will really mind if the 360 version isn't linked since its just plain unpopular and Sega knows this and is probably taking some measures to keep losses at a mininum : P

My only bother with the system separation is being able to play with my sis http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I wouldn't mind the 360 version, especially with some cool games it has but we obviously can't buy two O_x Anyways, I'm planning to buy the PS3 first http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rubesahl on 2006-08-01 08:54 ]</font>

Tystys
Aug 1, 2006, 11:39 AM
Bleh, I don't really care for the 360 as of now. Got to wait until next year before the really worth while crap starts being released....

Or atleast a week.

Dead Rising FTW.

On topic: I think it'd be retarded if they didn't link the US servers to Japan servers in terms of the 360 version. Because, Saner brings up a very good point. The game IS going to tank when we're talking about the 360 version. I mean, 360 sales have already been doing very poor apparently. I really just think they made a 360 version because of the demand in the US, O_O.

Saner
Aug 1, 2006, 11:41 AM
so why not link US and Japan Xbox360?

the reason why US and Japan are separate for other systems is because of diffrent release dates.

maybe Xbox360 version can get a worldwide release planned????? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/watermelon.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-08-01 09:41 ]</font>

DoctorShasta
Aug 1, 2006, 02:04 PM
Well the 360 isn't going to do as well as the other one's period and when the people in japan buy the game I think they know its going to be pretty empty but that doesnt mean it will be a ghost town it just will have a much smaller community which isn't always necessarily bad.

I'm just worried about the fact that me and my brother will want to play it and I am gonna want to play it like 24 hours to be the best but he is gonna be like "wahhhhhh its my turn!!"

zandra117
Aug 1, 2006, 02:31 PM
On 2006-08-01 09:41, Saner wrote:

360 has voice chat, you know what would happen if an american heard someone not speaking english over voice chat.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2006-08-01 12:31 ]</font>

Roffkaiser
Aug 1, 2006, 03:08 PM
You mean racial and belittling comments?! How would you ever get an idea like that? *goes back to playing Halo 2 to curse at people* Good thing I traded in that game http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Rubesahl
Aug 1, 2006, 04:20 PM
On 2006-08-01 12:31, zandra117 wrote:

360 has voice chat, you know what would happen if an american heard someone not speaking english over voice chat.

-sighs- I'll refrain from saying my experiences on the matter .__.; I'll just say you have a point.

Saner
Aug 1, 2006, 04:53 PM
so?

in many Xbox360 games, there are foreigners and although they dont speak english, they either stay quiet, or talk to someone who can understand, etc. etc.

besides some Japanese know English.

Garroway
Aug 1, 2006, 06:44 PM
On 2006-08-01 12:31, zandra117 wrote:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2006-08-01 12:31 ]</font>

Because we all know that the Japanese are incapable of prejudice against Americans...

chibiLegolas
Aug 2, 2006, 01:46 PM
I say the main reason why anyone would consider PSU on 360 over the other 2 platforms IS because of voice chat (with all it's benefits AND it's flaws).
Perhaps Japanese players are still formal and polite to other Japanese players even while online. So it's flaws isn't as bad over there as you would think.

Nuclearranger
Aug 2, 2006, 04:23 PM
Not to scare or disapoint 360 players but if the servers are seperate sure at first there should be a good number of people on but think about it. Not many gamers dont have a computer especialy if we pull some players from FFXI or WoW. And psu takes not much more power than eather of those. Also PS2 has the biggest fan base of the consoles. So say em 6mo-2 years later both systems will see a player base drop say its around 50%. 50% of the ps2/pc community there will still be plenty to play with. Not so much for 360 because as of now I dont see many people with them. Not to mention how sega handled PSO for X box in the past.
Now is it realy worth voice chat for that?

Also this might be agenst forum rules but what about private servers? Xbox wont be connecting to those but hopefully by that time PSU2 comes out lol.

DoctorShasta
Aug 2, 2006, 07:10 PM
Private servers are for lame-o's. Don't get me wrong I played on Ragnarok Online Private servers but for games like PSU its just better to pay the $8 a month and have a large community and official updates and easy setup and stable server

MAGNUShunter
Aug 2, 2006, 07:20 PM
Am I the only one who can imagine how funny it would be?...hearing a noob get yelled at in frustrated japanese?

I'm going into cryosleep till September.

MAGNUShunter
Aug 2, 2006, 08:33 PM
Saner,
LOVE the title.
INTENSE! (much like my "PS2 MUST DIE!")
lol.
Reminds me of an la times front page (which is about all anyone reads of it most of the time. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif )

You have inspired me to make some ps2 propaganda of my own...

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/9882/ps2propaganda1iz1.gif (http://imageshack.us)

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/5323/ps2propagandanu6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MAGNUShunter on 2006-08-02 18:46 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MAGNUShunter on 2006-08-02 22:35 ]</font>

Nuclearranger
Aug 3, 2006, 01:28 AM
XD those pwn the pictures lol

PandaMasterX4
Aug 3, 2006, 01:48 AM
I don't see PSU selling well on 360 for the reasons of paying for Xbox live and the monthly fee. I don't see why it can't be linked. Other online RPGs have done it before.

Maybe sega wants to rub it in Microsoft's face that nothing on their system will sell in japan?

SandstormX
Aug 3, 2006, 01:53 AM
I thought xbox live silver was free? I know for gold you pay.

zandra117
Aug 3, 2006, 02:39 AM
silver is free.

Roffkaiser
Aug 3, 2006, 03:15 AM
Yeah I don't know why people always bring up the "I pay for xbox live" card, considering you don't have to in order to play this game. I mean it is like saying "I buy milk, my cheese should be free"

DoctorShasta
Aug 3, 2006, 10:20 AM
Also, Xbox live gold costs $50 a month, that is so friggin cheap you don't have to worry about it all year and then at the end its like "o ok, thats taken care of"

PandaMasterX4
Aug 3, 2006, 10:24 AM
On 2006-08-03 08:20, DoctorShasta wrote:
Also, Xbox live gold costs $50 a month, that is so friggin cheap you don't have to worry about it all year and then at the end its like "o ok, thats taken care of"

He meant to say year on the first part but yah I completely agree that $50 for a year is nothing. You're pretty much paying for $4.17 a month for most games to play online and a client for other use.

RedSummers
Aug 3, 2006, 07:51 PM
Ya no what? I just dont care for xbox... but ya no what? I memba when some one said something, he/she (dont memba) said that, Xbox is more for pplz that want to paly FPS and fighting not really MMO's. But when I see PSU I dont think of xbox, I see Ps2 and Compy, but its there call, if something happens and the 360 ends up with like 5 pplz playing then they will get it for ps2 or comp, or forget about it, but then again! theres the offline. what ever!

Jack RedSummers

Saner
Aug 3, 2006, 07:56 PM
you just need a free silver account to play PSU online, just paying PSUs fee.

that's how it's going to turn out. maybe

but if Gold ends up being required, then ya, they screwed themselves for that version if they did that. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Earthsunderer
Aug 3, 2006, 09:53 PM
You know, Saner, somehow, this posting is really just useless.

You say that's how it's going to turn out... and then you add in a maybe...

Tystys
Aug 4, 2006, 04:44 AM
Yeah, unfortunately, you can't play online at all with Silver account. So upgrade!

Roffkaiser
Aug 4, 2006, 12:39 PM
You can play MMOs with the Silver, and if they don't let you, you just sue them for false advertisement.

HyperShot-X-
Aug 4, 2006, 06:59 PM
Those PPL who want to play MMOs with free Live Silver acct on X360 just like FFXI, expecting PSU X360 to turn out the same way, I tell U what:
ST should allow silver acct users to have access to PSU online City/Lobby only(hence MMO), & make Live Gold acct. requirement for playing the actual game in a team of 6(same as any other online action game on Live).
How about that? (..of course u can play offline as long as u want this time around since xbox Live is not a requirement, unlike PsoX was back then)

...i know, not every1 can afford to pay for another 50 bucks/a yr for Live Gold on top of $400 console, $60 game, & $9 monthly online fee to play the darn game, so that's why there's alternative choice for those unfortunate ppl, just stick w/ PS2 version, problem solved.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HyperShot-X- on 2006-08-04 17:06 ]</font>

Roffkaiser
Aug 4, 2006, 07:36 PM
So basically you want ST to give it to you for free (they don't get a dime of that money that M$ gets for live) If you want to play singlerplayer you can, if you want to play multiplayer you pay a fee, it is the same on the other consoles, why should 360 be any different? If you have a problem with paying 50 dollars on top of your PSU fees go talk to M$ they are the ones making you pay money for no reason.

EtherForce
Aug 4, 2006, 08:04 PM
Personally, I hope they link the 360 servers with ps2 and pc cause it helps keep the servers alive when more people can play on them. In fact, I wish they would also link the Japanese servers with the English ones for the very same reason.

HyperShot-X-
Aug 4, 2006, 09:11 PM
Roffkaiser, r u confused or...umm, r u confused? who said monthly fee we all pay is free for Live Gold memebers? read my post again, plz. Of course u r paying Live Gold fee on top of PSU monthly fee to Sega for playing the actual game instead of just foolin around in the City only for those free silver users who wants to play "MMOs" so badly.
...don't get confused by the other nonsense thread saying "Xbox needs no fee..", No, that is very, very wrong my friend.

hey EtherForce,
I honestly believe server population is not the practical reason to link the servers, how can servers be more 'alive' when the city is packed with 1000 ppl max and there are 100 ppl on my buddy list waiting for me to join their own team over the others?

Zinsian
Aug 5, 2006, 12:56 AM
Gold to play the actual game??? NO that is wrong. You can use Silver to play the entire multiplayer just as any Gold member would. Silver and Gold are the same except that Silver is only limited to MMORPGs while Gold has full access to all the online games. Then again its 50 dollars a year. Im becoming a high school freshman and i could afford that. Just go to your nearest game retailer and buy a 1 Year Subscription Card for $50 to add another year of Gold access to your account.

Edit Add: Then after the $50 you just paid, think to yourself "Ok i spent $50 to last me one year on Xbox Live Gold, next time i have to worry about this is NEXT YEAR (12 months, 365 days!!!). Im sure by then you would have set aside $50 for the next subscription card.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zinsian on 2006-08-04 22:58 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zinsian on 2006-08-04 22:59 ]</font>

Roffkaiser
Aug 5, 2006, 01:41 AM
rOn 2006-08-04 19:11, HyperShot-X- wrote:
Roffkaiser, r u confused or...umm, r u confused? who said monthly fee we all pay is free for Live Gold memebers? read my post again, plz. Of course u r paying Live Gold fee on top of PSU monthly fee to Sega for playing the actual game instead of just foolin around in the City only for those free silver users who wants to play "MMOs" so badly.
...don't get confused by the other nonsense thread saying "Xbox needs no fee..", No, that is very, very wrong my friend.

I still don't understand what you want. Silver members already have access to MMOs, all they have to do is pay the PSU fee, they get full access to the game. Please state what you are trying to get across more clearly.

HyperShot-X-
Aug 5, 2006, 11:23 AM
You must be one of those who still thinks PSU is entirely a MMORPG, well, r u aware that you're out numbered by about 9 to 1 on this forum:
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=115287&forum=20&116

the only MMO(Massive Multiplayer Online) portion in this game is the part where u roam around in the City block where u have fun meeting 999 other players online.
So, free silver users should have access to being online in the City only, & since u r not playing the actual action part of the game online, you shouldn't be charged for monthly fee to Sega until u upgrade to Live gold membership to be able to play the full game in a team of 6.

...that is not what i actually want them to do eventho it's quite possible, it's just to give an example for those who keep bytching about 'FFXI did it for free, why can't PSU', or 'false advertisement' for making Live Gold required to play PSU online, blah, blah,...

If u'r so cheap to not able to afford $50/yr($4.20/month) for Gold to play online games on a $400 console, not appreciating in-game voice chat n full Live supports, etc, then just go play it on PS2, that will save u a whole lot of money, or if u like playing MMORPGs for free so much, go play FFXI 360 all day/all yr for free, why bother paying for Gold that u think is so unfair when u play only a couple of games on Live?

Ppl should really refrain from posting their careless thoughts on their personal preferences with nothing much backing up their statements that might bring down the standard of game quality on final product in any way.

Roffkaiser
Aug 5, 2006, 02:54 PM
Wow, you are totally misunderstanding. The fact that PSU requires a fee automatically makes it a MMO in the terms of you can play it without gold. As long as you pay the fee on games that require fees you can play them without gold, this is a fact. And your calling me cheap? I am just trying to help out the people that keep whining about "ZOMG why do I have to pay for PSU on top of my gold!" Well you don't, just get rid of gold lol(which no one would do, but I am a sarcastic smart arse) Then you get all offensive when I do pay for gold, and I will pay for the fee, I am just stating the facts, YOU CAN PLAY THIS GAME ON A SILVER ACCOUNT.

Whether you consider PSU a MMO or not, the fact remains you pay a fee, it is online, and it has MMO aspects(the cities as you say). In that it is a MMO to Microsoft and it says on their website. "MMO games will come with their own subscription plan, so even if you’re not a full-fledged Xbox Live Gold member you’ll be able to participate in this growing phenomenon."

So really any game that has their own subscription plan by what they say is a MMO and is playable under silver.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Roffkaiser on 2006-08-05 12:59 ]</font>

MAGNUShunter
Aug 5, 2006, 04:01 PM
Greetings from "Ghost Town!"
I hear you Roff'.
Man, is it so hard to disagree without insulting the person you disagree with?

HyperShot-X-
Aug 5, 2006, 04:17 PM
You didn't read my proposal correctly, again, IF they PAY for PSU fee & get online w/ free silver acct. then ur statement is valid for your own interpretation of MS's agenda on playing MMO's w/ free silver acct. BUT, that is NOT the plan i proposed. I said you do not pay PSU fee until u upgrade to Gold, which means free silver users can still get online on PSU City ONLY without paying any PSU fees at all. Now u see your own misunderstanding?

and also, don't need to get all defensive when u know i meant that last line for those 'whiners', i didn't call u 'cheap' specifically.

We'll see how ST works out 360 version server linkage issue n fee requirements, just don't say things like 'YOU CAN PLAY THIS GAME ON A SILVER ACCOUNT' as if u r one of them & it's already been decided.

Saner
Aug 5, 2006, 04:57 PM
ya thats teh thing, they haven't said the final word if you can play this with just a Silver account.

They will upset many and cause many of them to not bother with online if Gold is required, so Silver (like FF11) sounds logical. but we will have to see what they decide.

HyperShot-X-
Aug 5, 2006, 05:27 PM
in my perspective n many other's, they will turn off even more 'new' potential X360 users from getting into this game if there's no Gold member full Live support features considering majority of X360 users are Gold members, so at least they should make Live Gold enhanced features optional if they decide to go as FFXI way w/ free silver accts. If that's not possible for any reason, then it's safer to go separate for Gold accts. only in order to appeal to more 360 users.
Simple as that.

Saner
Aug 5, 2006, 05:39 PM
did 360 FF11 support gold features?

if not then these companies must decide on one or the other. only one fee to pay, or Gold features.

I also have a Xbox360 meself and those features are not so important to me. this game already has the friends lists, and other features. but I guess most 360 owners demand the voice chat features and stuff like that. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif so I dunno I think all this voice chat stuff gets in the way the game is meant to be played.

I mean like I think even those 360 FF11 gamers must use keyboards for communication unless they isolate themselves among other 360 users, but it's a very complicated experience being stubborn towards text communication.

but ya Xbox faithfuls have been accustomed to that stuff since XBox, so ya Sega will have a hard time pleasing everyone on 360 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

HyperShot-X-
Aug 5, 2006, 09:15 PM
Gold features is the whole point of releasing PSU on X360, that's what makes it so special w/ the advantage of optional features not offered on any other platforms just like releasing PSU on PS2-PC is to target for a wider audience than others.

That's why i been talking about 'respecting' other's preferences as i respect your preference towards text chat on PS2 over voice chat. You have to respect most of 360 users who prefer in-game voice chat & full Live Gold features on their games.

You have no idea how many FFXI 360 players wish they had multiuser chat in game over private 1 on 1 chat only due to free silver Live acct not supporting it. Also, you must take into acct that FFXI is totally different type of game playing style than PSU. PSU can & will benefit so much more from Gold features to most of users when playing in a party of 6.

Above reasons are why if linked servers with Live silver acct will take away those special advantage that 360 offers, then it'd be better to scrap that plan n go forward with the original plan to make it separate but keep those features in the game.

MsXiou
Aug 6, 2006, 04:57 AM
HyperShot, I don't know where you get the idea that Microsoft would require you to get a Gold account for PSU. It's an MMO, simple as that. The actual game play is still an MMO too. Ever played an MMO that gave you a mission and you had to load into an area ith just your team? It's still an MMO but your isolated from the rest of the croud... but what your saying would make everygame that takes you into isolated areas simply an RPG.
There is no way ST will allow Microsoft to require gold membership for PSU's "action" part of the game.

Another thing that has me confused is why Xbox Live's voice chat is so great. I have made many friends online and chat with them often using voice chat. Now, of course, you need a microphone and a program to actually chat, but what makes that so different from what Xbox gamer's have?

I do not mean to insult or be rude to anyone and I am sorry if it came out that way... just needed to get my point across http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif
Also, this thread is a little off course... which membership required to play PSU online doesn't seem like the largest factor dealing with the 360's community size http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

HyperShot-X-
Aug 6, 2006, 09:58 AM
well, if u don't like my earlier proposal then u don't have to agree, as i said it was only an example of how 'cheap' ST can go about for those ppl who keep bytching about paying for PSU fee on top of Live Gold fee, and because of those ppl if this game turns out to not support optional features for Gold memebers, that is what i just cannot accept for all those Gold memebers who been expecting certain standards & somewhat more than what they did with FFXI with free silver accts only.

So, in reality, Live Gold acct is 'Neccessity' for PSU on X360 rather than 'required'. There is just no way ST will take chance to not make Gold features optional for PSU on top of silver acct at all cost, even if it means to segregate the servers to make that possible. I'm sure that u know the difference there.

About Live voice chat, it's kinda hard to describe if u haven't really tried it to know why its good, it's just more convenient, easy to use, & more productive way to play these kinds of games online since communication w/ ur team members is the key to success. It might be pretty much same to using mic on PC, but Live chat could be possible for proximity based chat in PSU City, & also combined with Gold features for buddy lists for inviting ur freind over to fill in spot in ur team when u dont want a stranger to join ur party n all that, not to mention headset is affordable n comes w/ 360 premium pack.

DoctorShasta
Aug 6, 2006, 04:29 PM
Yea everyone seems to thing having voice chat kills the game, there are some people who are annoying but overall it improves it in my opinion

Garroway
Aug 7, 2006, 10:44 PM
The problem is that people mistake "preference" for "opinion" and most people can't handle a difference of opinion. Saner, for example, can't seem to understand that some people do not share his preferance for text chat, and so argues that "these games" weren't intended for voice chat because he feels his opinion is being questioned. It would be like me saying that the graphical interface detracts from overall experience because I prefer MUDs, but, unlike most of you douchebags, I don't care if anyone shares my preferance for a text only interface, and I don't care if you disagree with my opinions.

As for the topic a hand though... I don't know how any of you can scry the necessery information to deduce the reasoning for PSU's release on the XBOC 360 or the server seperation. You can't even say if it's technical or beauracratic reasoning. What kind of relationship do Sega and Microsoft have anyways. Is Sega leveraging Microsoft for the games release on the 360 or is Micosoft leveraging something against Sega, or is it a mutual desire between the 2 companies. There are so many reasons and so many departments that get paid to think of, and answer these questions.

I guess specualte all you want, but you'll never know the whole story, Never...

HyperShot-X-
Aug 8, 2006, 12:11 AM
I'd like to summerize this discussion so far if anyone still cares & I want to further clarify issues on memebership requirement for PSU online on X360, because it is directly related to the issue of server linkage w/ PS2-PC and all other topics arising related to this issue, & furthermore, it will be the determining factor for 360's community size afterall.

The most logical solution to please everyone on X360 prioritizing the users that are planning to play PSU on X360 primalrily would be:

- to have separate server for X360 only that is still maintained by Sega themselves with monthly fee, but make Live Gold features optional for those Gold memebers only on top of free silver account accessbility for online play.

This seems to be the only way to give Gold users what they expect on this game while allowing online play for those who prefer to play MMO with free silver accts.

Any comment to add to above is welcome, & if anyone got any other better plan than above, feel free to share it.

HyperShot-X-
Aug 8, 2006, 12:48 AM
Mr. Garroway, we don't need to know the whole story, there is only a handful of possible outcome for PSU on X360 server issue, & i only wish ST chooses the best outcome for all PSU fans since it seems that everyone can't make up their minds on this particular issue. The whole point of speculating is to expect what the outcome will be so that everyone can prepare themselves to face the outcome n minimize the impact for the unexpected.
Your optimistic comment would be much more appreciated.

Kyuu
Aug 8, 2006, 12:52 AM
Frankly, I think the idea that there should be additional features to the game for Xbox Live Gold customers is ludicrous, and I estimate about a .01% chance that Sega would do any such thing. And yes, that is my opinion.

Saner
Aug 8, 2006, 01:02 AM
whatever they decide, I think the Xbox360 PSU will turn out to be much better treated than PSO was.

Kers
Aug 8, 2006, 03:02 AM
The users who play their 360 games online would be the people interested in playing PSU online with their 360(other than those who wish to play with friends on PC or PS2 because they don't own or want a 360), right? Because the 360 users that do not have a Gold membership would rather play PSU on their PC or PS2, under the idea that they would not be able to play with their Silver membership.

Now, if a 360 user with a Silver membership would not have full access to PSU's online play it would indeed scare customers off, but it would mainly be an unreasonable way to recruit more Gold memberships.

If the user could play online by just paying Sega's fee, Microsoft would have a better deal by at least two reasons.

1. The customer bought the PSU 360 version.

2. The 360 PSU population would almost entirely consist of Gold members. Their PSU friends would play other online games through their Gold membership which would create more reasons for the Silver member to subscribe to Gold.

So, interpreting Microsoft's statement to that a Silver membership would withhold parts of the MMO that require a additional fee would not be reasonable.

And besides the point, my friends and acquaintences that have a 360 all pay for Gold anyways because they enjoy playing their games online. So, I'd say the majority of the 360 users who wish to play online are already fully capable.

Edit: cleared up mistakes

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kers on 2006-08-08 01:15 ]</font>

Saner
Aug 8, 2006, 03:45 AM
well if they can manage to make people pay just for Gold, no additional fee, and Microsoft pays Sega monthly a huge amount of money based on their estimated PSU sales (so Sega doesnt miss out on the profits they would be making if they charged their own monthly fee for their own servers), then ya that would draw in more crowds.

but that sounds too good to be true. Sega would not lay the online fee piggy bank on Microsoft's lap.

even if Microsoft payed them generously, they would be missing out on possible extra income based on the amount of online PSU users and amount of time they spend with it online.

They will be using their own servers for this so either way the PSU fee has to be payed by each consumer.

Microsoft is already trying to make up for the money they lost so they wouldn't even think of paying on behalf of all the online PSU users.

9 a month is not much, but for the thousands who play online PSU that's a lot to pay, that's a lot of money. even their intake of Gold account fees would not be enough to cover that for even a year.

so say 20,000 X360 people play this online, Microsoft would be paying Sega 180,000 dollars a month so that Gold subscribers don't have to pay any extra fee. And there would be no way to track how long each PSU owner plays that game online. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

companies exist to make money, not lose more than they make.

they are better off letting Sega handle their own servers and charge their own fee, and not stack the Gold subscription as a requirement.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-08-08 11:13 ]</font>

DoctorShasta
Aug 8, 2006, 12:04 PM
Yea as we all know microsoft hasn't done too well in the console gaming market I don't think they'd go out on a limb by providing the servers

Kers
Aug 8, 2006, 01:04 PM
"Microsoft should pay for Sega's fee"...

That's even more unreasonable than thinking you won't be able to play PSU with Silver.

Saner
Aug 8, 2006, 01:16 PM
I didnt say Microsoft should pay for the fee, I'm just showing ppl a scenario that just won't happen.

even Microsoft isn't dumb enough to pay someone else's bill. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

HyperShot-X-
Aug 8, 2006, 09:45 PM
On 2006-08-07 22:52, Kyuu wrote:
Frankly, I think the idea that there should be additional features to the game for Xbox Live Gold customers is ludicrous, and I estimate about a .01% chance that Sega would do any such thing. And yes, that is my opinion.

From E3 Interview w/ producer of PSU:

PSOW: Having the game come out for the Xbox 360 opens the door for certain Xbox Live features, such as voice chat. Will voice chat be a feature that is exclusive to the Xbox 360 version of PSU?

Takao Miyoshi: Yes, that is exclusive to the Xbox 360 version of the game.

srry, kyuu, Miyoshi san gives .01 pt for that sickeningly twisted, uninformed ignorant biased opinion of urs, thx for sharing it w/ us, next -

HyperShot-X-
Aug 8, 2006, 11:22 PM
So, the most logical solution for PSU X360 server linkage issue as it stands now:

- to have separate server for X360 only that is still maintained by Sega themselves with monthly fee, but make Live Gold features optional for those Gold memebers only on top of free silver account accessbility for online play.

is this reasonable enuff for everyone to agree or what?

MAGNUShunter
Aug 8, 2006, 11:33 PM
PS2 MUST DIE!
360 IN DANGER!
COMPUTER ADVANAGE GONE!

ROFL!
You have to admit it is funny!
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

phunk
Aug 9, 2006, 02:49 PM
I've decided to play single player on 360 and online on PC.

There, its solved.