PDA

View Full Version : Online specific names?

PandaMasterX4
Aug 2, 2006, 01:11 PM
Hello,

Sorry for so many new topics in such a short frame, but I have a question that wasn't entirely answered in the FAQs page.

While reading I came upon:

"3.13: Where are my online characters stored?
A: Characters for the online game will be stored on the Sega online servers. They will not exist on your PS2 memory cards or PC Hard Disk."

Does this mean that only one person can roam around with a specific name like most online RPGs such as "Magus" or "Locke?"

The reason I bring up this question, which I'm pretty sure all of you are aware of, was that on PSO you can find another person with the same name as your own. True these characters were stored on the Memory Card instead of online but I was wondering if that may be a possibility.

VioletSkye
Aug 2, 2006, 01:13 PM
Obviously your log on name will have to be unique but I would imagine you can name your char whatever you want regardless of whether or not someone else has that name also.

Nuclearranger
Aug 2, 2006, 01:20 PM
Allthough I think it would be cool to have your own Name. But it would also kindof suck if someone elce had it.

PandaMasterX4
Aug 2, 2006, 01:25 PM
On 2006-08-02 11:13, VioletSkye wrote:
Obviously your log on name will have to be unique but I would imagine you can name your char whatever you want regardless of whether or not someone else has that name also.

That's pretty much how I thought it would be but I still wasn't quite sure. Coming form FFXI and a bit of WoW, it was pretty much every name had to be unique. I'm not entirely too sure as to which I would prefer. I mean, it would suck not to be able to get your name right? Then again, would you really want to see other people walking around with your name and partying with them and getting confused when someone goes "Hey Skye!"

Inazuma
Aug 2, 2006, 02:05 PM
just like in pso, character names dont have to be unique. the reason they can do this is b/c each player has their own unique hunter license identification number.

Nuclearranger
Aug 2, 2006, 04:00 PM
Still I think it would be better to have no repeats...

OnnaWren
Aug 2, 2006, 04:13 PM
Yes, well, you know that can't possibly be the case, what with everyone wanting to be named Sephiroth or SSJGoku or Naruto (gack, ad nauseum)... >_<;

Kyuu
Aug 2, 2006, 04:38 PM
On 2006-08-02 14:00, NuclearRanger wrote:
Still I think it would be better to have no repeats...

That would be very impractical. It works for FFXI and WoW because people have to pick a server, and are stuck there (except in rare circumstances). In PSU, you can move between servers at will, so your name would have to be unique out of every single person who plays PSU (and the four characters they can make per account). In games like WoW, you're only competing with the other players on your specific server.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-08-02 14:39 ]</font>

TonyDaemon
Aug 2, 2006, 08:41 PM
On 2006-08-02 14:13, OnnaWren wrote:
Yes, well, you know that can't possibly be the case, what with everyone wanting to be named Sephiroth or SSJGoku or Naruto (gack, ad nauseum)... >_<;

Hopefully we won't see too much of that, but I highly doubt that.
If we're lucky we might get none at all, but only if we're lucky.

PandaMasterX4
Aug 2, 2006, 11:49 PM
I found some of the most annoying SSJ's when I played PSO

DraginHikari
Aug 3, 2006, 04:33 AM
On 2006-08-02 18:41, TonyDaemon wrote:

On 2006-08-02 14:13, OnnaWren wrote:

Hopefully we won't see too much of that, but I highly doubt that.
If we're lucky we might get none at all, but only if we're lucky.

Hehe as long as there is internet you will have n00bs and n00b names to go along with it

Shivore
Aug 3, 2006, 05:35 AM
I seem to remember in another old thread that this was discussed and it was confirmed by someone in the beta that you could have repeats. In any case it was decided that it was highly likely if anything else.

That said, I wish they weren't allowed. Having everyone have a unique name fosters creativity in name design, instead of everyone bein varients of other characters from other games and media.

DoctorShasta
Aug 3, 2006, 10:17 AM
Amen to that shiv I don't want to be in the lobby and see at least 5 people with the name "Cloud" or "Sephiroth" like I did on PSO

PrinceRhys
Aug 3, 2006, 11:24 AM
Interestingly enough, some people don't like thinking up interesting/unique names. Personally, I like to think up characters, give them back stories, the whole bit. I think that's the fun of creating a character. I played Phantasy Star Offline on GC with a few friends though and what names did they use for their character's? Their own names. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

PandaMasterX4
Aug 3, 2006, 11:52 AM
On 2006-08-03 09:24, PrinceRhys wrote:
Interestingly enough, some people don't like thinking up interesting/unique names. Personally, I like to think up characters, give them back stories, the whole bit. I think that's the fun of creating a character. I played Phantasy Star Offline on GC with a few friends though and what names did they use for their character's? Their own names. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Some people like to RP. Hell even I'll act the part just cause it's fun. How many RPGs do you really get to play where you can actually RP?

Things like this make it fun and funny. My friend in FFXI was a lazy blm and said he was like that due to a tragedy that happened to his father. He was in the great war and ran out of MP at the wrong place at the wrong time. Reason for MP outage? Reheating a sandwich.

Kyuu
Aug 3, 2006, 01:02 PM
On 2006-08-03 03:35, Shivore wrote:

That said, I wish they weren't allowed. Having everyone have a unique name fosters creativity in name design, instead of everyone bein varients of other characters from other games and media.

Again... people are not limited to specific servers with smaller populations in PSU. If names were unique in PSU, you'd be competing with every single person who plays PSU. That'd be extremely impractical.

And in any case, forcing unique names does not at all foster creativity. It mostly just leads to stupid names everywhere. We'd get things like "Ipwnnoobs" and "Chibilegolas212989." I much prefer variants of names from other games to that sort of thing.

Just log onto a heavily populated WoW server and take a look at all the "creative" names.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-08-03 11:03 ]</font>

hypersaxon
Aug 3, 2006, 01:29 PM
The file name for your character save will most likely be a mix of jarbled numbers (ex. 10598326.bin) or something like that. Your character name would just be some data within the file, and wouldn't dictate the actual filename itself. So I'm pretty sure you could name your character whatever you want.

If they do make you pick a unique name, that would suck. I swear, if someone stole the name Saxon I would scream!

PandaMasterX4
Aug 3, 2006, 01:37 PM
I got lucky in FFXI getting Panda on 2 different servers. I was like O_O wow I got that?

WoW was another story ; ;

How would you feel if PSU was server designated? Say like each server is allowed 5000 people at any time but you can't server travel. I think you would actually be able to get more reputation and in touch with the players there.

Kyuu
Aug 3, 2006, 02:34 PM
On 2006-08-03 11:37, PandaMasterX4 wrote:

How would you feel if PSU was server designated? Say like each server is allowed 5000 people at any time but you can't server travel. I think you would actually be able to get more reputation and in touch with the players there.

I'd feel is was poor decision. Having designated servers with no movement works fine for MMOs with a persistent world, but I don't feel it would work with a game like PSU.

And in any case, the more people you have the potential to interact with, the better. People inevitably end up forming their own small circle of friends anyway, so there's no need to limit them to only interacting with a set number of people. And who would prefer being limited, anyway? I'd rather have the chance to meet new people every time I play.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-08-03 12:36 ]</font>

Saner
Aug 3, 2006, 02:45 PM
no this game needs the option to jump between servers.

if a server is messed up and can't find party members or having relations with people in a server, jumping to another server would save many people's time and sanity.

as for name reservations,I heard there are no name reservations.

so people can use the same exact name I think, which is fine.

Inazuma
Aug 3, 2006, 02:48 PM
i know for a fact that i saw chars on psu beta w/ the exact same name.

PrinceRhys
Aug 3, 2006, 02:59 PM
On 2006-08-03 09:52, PandaMasterX4 wrote:

Some people like to RP. Hell even I'll act the part just cause it's fun. How many RPGs do you really get to play where you can actually RP?

Things like this make it fun and funny. My friend in FFXI was a lazy blm and said he was like that due to a tragedy that happened to his father. He was in the great war and ran out of MP at the wrong place at the wrong time. Reason for MP outage? Reheating a sandwich.

Reheating a sandwich...lol classic.

But what I meant was yeah, I would rather role play my characters too. My friends, on the other hand, used more "unoriginal" names. Meaning if, for arguements sake, one friend's name was John, he named his character "John." All three of them did that. I asked them about creating original names, but I guess they just didn't want to.

But yeah, I wrote a whole story about my PSO characters--how they are related, and how their paths intertwined. Fun stuff.

PandaMasterX4
Aug 3, 2006, 02:59 PM
I was a fan of developing reputation and plus it was much easier to seperate the poor members from the good ones. I didn't have a problem with it much on PSO really but you would always get the random idiot who would jump in and just take up space.

Cruisectrl
Aug 3, 2006, 03:02 PM
you could always just think of a really unique name...

PandaMasterX4
Aug 3, 2006, 03:07 PM
Well now that there is an understanding that names can't be unique, what'll your character names be? My hunter will be Panda, pretty much carried on from PSO.

My newman will be Sage. Sage had a really cool back story where he hated to actually read and learn magic but he developed his skills just by blowing up stuff. He was a runaway from a corporation that used him to clone other units because he had a power that was greater than most but just lacked in the knowledge to learn.

I made his one and only clone who partially resembled him (height, hair color not style, Magic level, etc) Every time they were at the same level they would have the same level tier magic.

RedSummers
Aug 3, 2006, 07:43 PM
Do what I do! Make up a name no one else should have, like my friend, karuson, thats his name for every thing, its how you would spell his last name jap using english letters.
my gam names are Jacks,jax,jackz,RedSummers,RedSummer (and if it'll fit),Jack RedSummers. if them dont work then, Rokashi, witch is a name I made up. thats all..

Jack RedSummers

Saner
Aug 3, 2006, 07:46 PM
for safety, its best not to share names if you fear someone might take it.

cause someone hear might take your name just to make you mad when the game comes out. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

but ya there are alternates.

like if you want your name to be Name. and someone has it, you could change it to _Name_ or NAME or NaMe or :Name: or =Name= or *Name* or (Name) or "Name" or [Name] or .Name. or name or /Name etc. etc. etc.

PandaMasterX4
Aug 4, 2006, 02:04 AM
Server hoping did prove that names aren't unique. But it all depends on how you customize the character.

Disasteroid
Aug 4, 2006, 07:24 AM
On 2006-08-03 17:46, Saner wrote:
like if you want your name to be Name. and someone has it, you could change it to _Name_ or NAME or NaMe or :Name: or =Name= or *Name* or (Name) or "Name" or [Name] or .Name. or name or /Name etc. etc. etc.

In other words, make your name REALLY annoying to look at.

Kyuu
Aug 4, 2006, 01:38 PM

This is one of the reasons why forcing unique names is bad. Like Disasteroid said, that's just making your name annoying to look at. Better repeat names than people having to do stupid things like that because someone's already taken the name they want (and don't forget the ever popular: Name123456789 and XnameX).

Saner
Aug 4, 2006, 03:10 PM
well single quotation 'Name doesn't look so noticable. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

or how about adding a last name? ya those are interesting alternatives.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-08-04 13:11 ]</font>

Dirty_Filthy
Aug 4, 2006, 04:15 PM
I think allowing duplicate names is a double-edged sword. Its good to always have the name you want, even if someone else has it. However, sharing a name with someone that everyone else hates isn't any fun either. I am also willing to bet that we're going to see /Name and xxNamexx crap anyway. They don't always do that to get a name, sometimes they just think it looks cool. I'll admit I judge people on their names, and if I think their names are lame I don't play with them, because generally you CAN judge a book by it's cover. "xXSephiroth69Xx" and "IKILLYOU32" are like lighthouses, warning you to stay the hell away.

PhotonCat
Aug 4, 2006, 05:20 PM
It was already proven that anyone can have the same exact name. It was like that in beta, I do not see why they would change it in retail. Besides, every other PSO had non-unique names for each character.

I like having non-unique names because it gets on my nerves when I really want a name and it's taken. So many time on MMOS I have to deal with some 135th choice of a name that I do not really like.

There is Guild Cards and ID#s to tell apart players. And I like the fact that you need to give your Card to another player for them to contact you(like in PSO). I hate in other MMOs where people will just send ya a /tell outta the blue.

Zinsian
Aug 5, 2006, 01:30 AM
Agree with Saner,
A first name and last name along with a nickname system would be appropriate. And if someone copied your nickname or already have it, YOU COULD BATTLE FOR IT!!!!!1111!!!oneoneone11!!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_evil.gif