PDA

View Full Version : how can u be a PSU fan, IF IT'S NOT EVEN OUT YET!!!

guitarbum93
Aug 3, 2006, 08:17 AM
yeah, so how can you be a PSU fan if it hasnt even been released in america yet?

AngelLight
Aug 3, 2006, 08:22 AM
Beta Testers, Some ppl who played it at the Game Shows (including the one show in NY that it was available), the Premere Disk, etc....

Dhylec
Aug 3, 2006, 08:28 AM
If you have played PSO, then you should have a feel for what PSU at least be like, except better. The character designs, battle system, story, etc. are improvement over the well-liked PSO's counterparts.
Then there are also things from the above post. ;]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2006-08-03 07:18 ]</font>

Pseudo
Aug 3, 2006, 08:35 AM
I've played the demo at my local gamestation, i liked it, hence im a fan -_-

XredX
Aug 3, 2006, 08:38 AM
just watching the Trailers feels like a movie to me its like Whats the next episode gona be??
i may not have the game but im a Fan of it that way for now tell it comes out,
Or i can always make a chr. that looks like the main chr on PSU and use my imaginastion >.>

AeraLure
Aug 3, 2006, 08:47 AM
Yeah, having played PSO, most of us already know what to expect from PSU and therefore its easy to be a fan of it not having even yet played it. It builds and expands on what the PSO gameplay was like, so there are some core similarities. I've been waiting for PSU since I heard it was in development and PSO is one of my favorite games of all time, so the wait is really hard. As it is for most of us. Watching the Beta character create and gameplay videos does not help in the least. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

phongi
Aug 3, 2006, 08:54 AM
On 2006-08-03 06:28, Dhylec wrote:
I you have played PSO, then you should have a feel for what PSU at least be like, except better.
The character designs, battle system, story, etc. are improvement over the well-liked PSO's counterparts.
Then there are also things from the above post. ;]

Yeah. Battle System.

NO MORE AUTO TARGET!!!! YAY!!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/cone.gif

ST did something smart for once.

just because it has no auto target makes me wanna play even more!

DarK-SuN
Aug 3, 2006, 08:55 AM
I was a beta tester, so I've played it.
Like many have said, if you've played PSO it's easy to extrapolate how PSU will be from what beta testers have said and shown either through pics or videos.
I'm a FAN of PSU and can't wait for it to be out.

Kyunji
Aug 3, 2006, 09:08 AM
Please explain to me your concept of "fan." After reading about this game, I like its concepts of gameplay. If I liked PSO, why should I not like PSU? If it's possible to be a fan of an album before it comes out, it should be possible to be a fan of a game before it comes out.

PrinceBrightstar
Aug 3, 2006, 09:42 AM
There are few ancient fans though, and that qualification requires at least one playthrough of Phantasy Star.

OdinTyler
Aug 3, 2006, 09:50 AM
If by ancient, you mean someone who actually played on the Sega Master System oh so long ago, then yes, I'm ancient. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I leave this to you in passing:

Phantasy Star changed games forever.
Nei's tragic death changed RPGs forever.
A Japanese woman by the name of Rieko Kodama changed my life forever.

(And yes Jon, Aeris's death is not a big deal to me either, as much as Nei's & Alys's was.)

PandaMasterX4
Aug 3, 2006, 10:30 AM
You can be a fan before something is released. Pretty much everyone hit it on the dot where saying, "if you played PSO then you'll know a bit to expect." I played the game at E3 and have been wanting to learn more about the game time and time again. I've been wanting this game since two E3's ago and am glad it's finally coming out.

RFB
Aug 3, 2006, 11:26 AM
On 2006-08-03 07:50, OdinTyler wrote:

AAGGGHH!!! *dies*

I just started playing Phantasy Star II on my DS >_< I never expected to find a spoiler for it on the PSU Board!

PrinceBrightstar
Aug 3, 2006, 11:29 AM
Talk about pwned....

You can revive her in the PS2 Version if you complete generation 1 first

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 3, 2006, 11:43 AM
I haven't played the game yet, but I did play PSO and I liked that, so I really can't wait for this game to come out.

Mewn
Aug 3, 2006, 11:44 AM
One word for the OP - 'anticipation'.

Oh and I played Closed Beta anyway.

Saner
Aug 3, 2006, 12:03 PM
On 2006-08-03 06:17, guitarbum93 wrote:
yeah, so how can you be a PSU fan if it hasnt even been released in america yet?

I haven't regarded myself as a PSU fan, yet I'm really anxious to own and play it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

besides I have lots of PSO experience and this game will be like it and 100% better, all information and media gathered is proof of that. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Nisshoku
Aug 3, 2006, 12:20 PM
On 2006-08-03 06:35, Pseudo wrote:
I've played the demo at my local gamestation, i liked it, hence im a fan -_-

Demo at Gamestation? What is this place you speak of, and how long have they had said demo of PSU?

Oh, and yeah, I was one of the lucky few who got into the Closed Beta of PSU as well. So nyah, and all that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nisshoku on 2006-08-03 10:22 ]</font>

mananas
Aug 3, 2006, 01:15 PM
I don't even understand what this is all about... are you accusing us of being fans? Or are you asking a question?

Inazuma
Aug 3, 2006, 02:19 PM
i played 100 hours of the closed beta and loved every second of it. take pso, fix many of its problems, improve on it in every way, and add lots of cool new things, thats psu. easily, the best game i have ever played.

l3iohazard
Aug 3, 2006, 02:27 PM
i may not have played but i've been playing pso for so long i might as well consider my self a fan of this to...

phantasy star
phantasy star II
phantasy star III
phantasy star IIII
phantasy star-dreamcast
phantasy star -gamecube
psobb

^ all that up there should tell me that this game is going to be the shit >:D

OnnaWren
Aug 3, 2006, 02:33 PM
I, too, am an ancientgamer...

It doesen't matter what game it is, or when/where it is, if it's having to do with the general Phantasy Star mythos, count me in!

Maybe it's just blind series loyalty brought on by near 18 years of fanatacism... >_<;

_Tek_
Aug 3, 2006, 03:33 PM
you can be a fan of its styles and graphics, etc. even if you haven't played it.

JAR
Aug 3, 2006, 04:06 PM

You got me pal, I was lying when I said I was a fan of the next great game in a series I've followed for more than 10 yrs. Wow, it really sucks to get caught in your own web of lies.

Sinue_v2
Aug 3, 2006, 04:07 PM
Meh, Johnothan_F, I've heard that it's possible - but I've never gone that route. Nei's death was crucial to the central theme of PSII and the development of Rolf - and to gain that Easter Egg would ruin the entire storyline IMO.

I guess I'm an ancient fan as well... as I have nearly the entire series and have been playing since PSI on the SMS.

Phantasy Star
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III
Phantasy Star IV
Phantasy Star Gaiden
Phantasy Star Adventure
All 8 PSII Character Adventures (only a few translated though)
Phantasy Star Online
Phantasy Star Online v.2
Phantasy Star Online Ep I & II (Both Xbox & NGC)
Phantasy Star Online Ep III C.A.R.D Revolution
Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst
Phantasy Star: Generation 1 Limited Edition
Phantasy Star: Generation 2
Phantasy Star Collection GBA

I'm a fan of PSU because I'm a fan of Phantasy Star in general.

DarK-SuN
Aug 3, 2006, 05:33 PM
True, I should have broadened my post above by saying I'm also an "ancient fan" of the Phantasy Star series in general.

Tystys
Aug 3, 2006, 05:43 PM
How can I be a fan?
BECAUSE I CAN.

PandaMasterX4
Aug 3, 2006, 06:02 PM
I'm a nub, I started the PS franchise when PSO came out. I've been hooked since.

Shivore
Aug 3, 2006, 06:59 PM
Fan is short for fanatic. I think if someone is lurking, and getting excited over a game they haven't even played, they fit the definition of fanatic even more than someone who has played it. I say it's easier to label someone a fan if they haven't played the game yet.

MAGNUShunter
Aug 3, 2006, 07:24 PM
On 2006-08-03 12:19, Inazuma wrote:
i played 100 hours of the closed beta and loved every second of it. take pso, fix many of its problems, improve on it in every way, and add lots of cool new things, thats psu. easily, the best game i have ever played.

Man. Why'd you have to get me aflutter with anticipation. I was just starting to sleep at nights again! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MAGNUShunter on 2006-08-03 17:50 ]</font>

RedSummers
Aug 3, 2006, 07:28 PM
I have played PSO a few times and thought that was a fun game, and I bin reading bout this one and it looks a lot more kooler, but im sure every one here said that. oh well =D im the best anyway!

-Jack RedSummers

isahn80
Aug 3, 2006, 07:34 PM
On 2006-08-03 07:50, OdinTyler wrote:

Phantasy Star changed games forever.

(And yes Jon, Aeris's death is not a big deal to me either, as much as Nei's & Alys's was.)

Holy crap, Nei dying was the one and only video game event that ever made me depressed. I was 11 at the time (1991) so it was very tragic. By the time Aeris came around, I was like "yeah, and?"

PS2 was the first Phantasy Star game I played, and I've been obsessed ever since. Can you really blame me?

DarK-SuN
Aug 3, 2006, 10:00 PM
Nope, definitely can't blame you there, Isahn80.

It's funny, I don't really like the Final Fantasy series in general (7 is the only one I tolerate, to an extent), I personaly think the Phantasy Star series completly kills it in every possible way, but I digress.
Depends a lot on tastes, but FF never did anything very new compared with PS, in my opinion.

OnnaWren
Aug 4, 2006, 12:26 PM
For me, one of the things that has PS above FF in my book (not that I don't respect FFs 1-9, in their own way) is a little thing called continuity. That, and they were never afraid to push the envelope...

EtherForce
Aug 4, 2006, 12:49 PM
PSO was such an excellent game when it first came out, and since then we've seen new additions to the game and it's changed platforms a lot. Well now they're coming out with a completely new Phantasy Star, so it should bring back old fans and new ones alike.

Nuclearranger
Aug 4, 2006, 01:18 PM
Iv played almost all of the phantasy stars. n.n

Mewn
Aug 4, 2006, 01:37 PM
I never liked any of the original Phantasy Star games, except IV >_>

TonyDaemon
Aug 4, 2006, 01:58 PM
I myself am a fanboy which some would say is bad and some would say it good, but to answer your question;I'm a fan because I myself have played PSO and have watched trailers, videos, ect. and can get an idea of how it will feel and play.

I have to say I like that feeling, therefore I am a fan.

lostinseganet
Aug 4, 2006, 03:54 PM
Remember back to the very first time you ever gamed in your life. What made you take the plunge? The sights, and sounds compels you http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Fleece
Aug 4, 2006, 04:25 PM
Dictionary Definition

fan2 Audio pronunciation of "fan" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fn)
n.

An ardent devotee; an enthusiast.

I am a Fan of PSU

Ergo I am Enthusiastic towards PSU.

Ergo STFU.

Phaze37
Aug 4, 2006, 05:51 PM
I didn't play any of the old phantasy star games because I dislike the boring turn-based combat of standard RPGs. I've never been a big fan of the final fantasy series for the same reason.

However, I love a good action RPG, and PSO blew my mind when I picked it up for dreamcast on the first day it came out and I played it online for the first time with my gamer friends watching. I haven't had so much fun with an action RPG since Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. As great as PSO was, over the years it's various flaws began to bother me. I was especially disapointed with the rampant cheating. This made me go out and try other online RPGs but the boring point-and-click combat kept me coming back to PSO, despite it's flaws. I always thought that PSO could be the greatest game of all time if the flaws were fixed and the combat system was improved, and PSU looks like it's going to be the PSO I've always wanted. THAT's why I'm a fan of PSU despite never playing it. Of course, there's the possibility that the game might be really terrible when it comes out, but that seems unlikely.

zandra117
Aug 4, 2006, 06:52 PM
We are not PSU fans, we are Phantasy Star fans. There are currently 9 Phantasy Star games that have been released not counting the text adventures. (Phantasy Star, Phantasy Star Gaiden, Phantasy Star II, Phantasy Star III, Phantasy Star IV, Phantasy Star Online, Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 and 2, Phantasy Star Online Episode 3, and Phantasy Star online Blue Burst.) We are fans of the series and like all fans of a series we are highly anticipating the next installment in the series.

Did anyone else notice that Aeris is like an engrish misspelling of Alys? Sega shoud sue square enix for stealing their characters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2006-08-04 17:01 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Aug 7, 2006, 02:30 AM
Actually, Alys from PSIV was originally named Lyla Brangwen in the Japanese version. The US translators probably changed Lyla to Alys in order to connect her in some small way with the player to Alis Landale. (Who was actually Alisa Landeel)

So no... no copyright infringement suit for Sega.

As for Phantasy Star having 9 games... I don't really consider it that high since I don't consider all the various episodes and expansions to Phantasy Star as sequels. If anything, PSO should consist of two games - since Ep III was so far removed from Ep I, II, & IV that it could be considered a sequel in it's own right. The Ep II & IV expansions were simply nothing more than that - since most of the core game remained virtually unchanged. This is why Ep II and Ep IV weren't packaged as seperate titles. Each one had all previous expansions included - much like buying FFXI for the X360 with the Rise of Zilart, Chains of Prometheus, and the new expansion already included.

IMO, (not counting the text adventures, collections, or remakes), there were 8 - 9 with PSU.

Phantasy Star
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III
Phantasy Star IV
Phantasy Star Gaiden
Phantasy Star Adventure
Phantasy Star Online (Ep I, II, IV)
Phantasy Star Online Ep III
Phantasy Star Universe

And if you wanted to get technical, you could probably add in the all the PSII Character Text Adventures as 1 or 2 games - or remove Phantasy Star Adventure from the list altogether since it is itself is a text adventure (despite having pictures).

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 7, 2006, 03:54 AM
I was kinda more of a fan in my youth. My first was PSII, but I was unable to finish it in the time that I had. I was an insensitive prick at the time so I shrugged off Nei's death like it was nothing. I actually owned PSIII so I was able to beat it and get a bunch of endings, most of which I've completely forgotten. PSIV was by far my favorite, but never finished it in the rental times. I shrugged off Alys's death too. (And Aeris's death as well.)

Today, I can finally beat PSIV and have done so, twice in the past five or so years. I've tried playing the others again (and PSI for the first time) but I just cannot stand the turn-based combat except in PSIV. And I do not like PSO. I can play it from time to time, but its flaws tend to bother me too much. I eagerly await PSU because I've seen that most of PSO's problems have been nixed. It seems to play more like my favorite online game than like the problem-ridden PSO, but still retains the PSO style that sets it apart. I look forward to shooting lots of monsters the way they were supposed to be shot: Manually.

Kyuu
Aug 7, 2006, 04:34 PM
On 2006-08-04 16:52, zandra117 wrote:

Did anyone else notice that Aeris is like an engrish misspelling of Alys? Sega shoud sue square enix for stealing their characters.

I don't see how you get Aeris from Alys without a pretty large stretch of the imagination. Actually, from what I remember, they derived Aeris from the word "heiress" (referring to the fact that she inherits the last of the Ancient's abilities and way of life), and many people thought a more proper way to spell her name in English was Aerith (also my preferred spelling, more for the way it sounds than any other reason). I also don't see much in the way of similarities between the characters themselves, asides from their tragic deaths.

Although I have admit that I never played PSII far enough to encounter the death of Nei, I think it's a bit much to say that Aerith wasn't as tragic a character just because Phantasy Star did it first. And as much as I loved PSII, I doubt that scene would have the same impact as the scene from FFVII. Just couldn't get quite as immersed in PSII as I could in FFVII. Of course, this is completely personal and subjective, and there is no "right" one to prefer.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-08-07 14:35 ]</font>

OnnaWren
Aug 7, 2006, 04:42 PM
I never got as involved in the Aerith scene as many fanbois have (NOOOOOOO Aeris didn't hafta dieeeee! etc.)... Just because the technology of "total immersion" (read: 3-D) wasn't available at the time, that's not to say that Nei's death scenes (and to a lesser extent Teim's demise and the whole freakin' ending of the game) don't still have plenty of emotional punch behind them- mostly because they were unexpected at that time in gaming history. Whoever heard of characters being accidentally slain by their fathers (who then blow themselves up in anguish), main characters suddenly being killed off midquest Corsican Brothers-style, and the entire party going down in a big ol' blaze of vainglory in 1990? Not me, that's for damn sure!

Nowadays, though, such things are cliche... you start an RPG and ask yourself, "Who's gonna be the one to bite it first?"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OnnaWren on 2006-08-07 15:14 ]</font>

Kyuu
Aug 7, 2006, 05:06 PM
On 2006-08-07 14:42, OnnaWren wrote:

I never got as involved in the Aerith scene as many fanbois have...

Nowadays, though, such things are cliche...

Yes, of course. Only "fanbois" could appreciate the emotional impact of the scene or get involved in the story. *eye roll*

And such things were hardly "cliche" when FFVII was released. Especially to people such as myself, who had never played much of the "epic" RPG before. Limited experience with Phantasy Star II and, what was it... Sword of Vermillion was the extent of my previous RPG experience, not counting Zelda. I'd seen and heard of the Final Fantasies, but hadn't played them. And I've been gaming since the Genesis first came out, if you're wondering (before then I was mostly too young, though I think my family had a Master system as well, and of course I played my friends' NESes and SNESes).

therealAERO
Aug 7, 2006, 05:17 PM
Lets see I am a fan of PSU because my 2nd year(2004) at e3 I was in the Sega Booth(Which wasn't in one of the main halls suprisingly) standing next to Yuji Naka as they showed the first trailer to it on a big screen.

Than in 2005 I went to Sega's booth and played PSU for hours at a time. (You didn't have to go to Sega's booth to play it since sony had some too, but I wanted to play the PC version)

Than my girlfriend and I were lucky enough to beta test it during May, and as soon as the beta ended I was able to go to e3 that same day and play the newest demo.

Lets just say since e3 2004 I have been following and playing PSUs progress like a Hawk.

-Long live E3...dammit