View Full Version : Final Fantasy...
08-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Alright, in the next two months two new Final Fantasies will be coming out for PS2. Final Fantasy 12 is one of them. It's a new storyline with new characters and it interests me a bit. Although the characters have stupid names (IMO)the graphics look good. There's also Final Fantasy 12: Dirge of Cerberus which is all about the past of the mysterious Vincent Valentine (sp?). Both seem interesting, but Dirge of Cerberus is more of a shooting game, it looks like Resident Evil 4 (without the zombies) mixed with FF. It might turn out to be a nice combo but I can only really get one. I'm thinking of going with FFXII and possibly enjoy a very interesting storyline. I'm not even sure what I'm looking for, but the disadvantage DoC has is it's a shooter/rpg (if that is even really possible) and the only shooter I play right now is Halo 2. Not sure which I want, any ideas to help me decide?
You should also check them out at http://www.ign.com or another site, they both look good.
08-04-2006, 02:24 AM
well..i didn't know that they would be released so closeley together because all of the fans would be spoilt for choice, although i'm not saying that your lying.
Personally i would say not to buy either because i don't have them yet *joke* but really i would probably buy the first one first...like count up from 1, because from that you could leave it to Square that they would make something better afterwards in 1 way or another (providing they haven't stopped making final fantasy)
I want to know 1 thing though - why is it that everyones fave final fantasy ranges from 7 - 10 or 10-2, what about the old final fantasys? Its like no-one cares about them anymore.... wait...(i can chat... my fave ff is VII / 7) Whats everyone elses fave ff's?
08-04-2006, 02:44 AM
Dirge of Cerebus is getting horrible reviews/previews i wouldnt give it a chance.
08-04-2006, 10:39 AM
The release dates are 2 months apart, and thanks Celestial, I was thinking about going with XII itself.
08-07-2006, 01:54 PM
come to think of it, someone told me that they're going to be the last final fantasy's....i'm gonna be in a bad mood untill i find a better game if that happens... (better than final fantasy? lol, dont be silly).
oh and Rion772, cool phrase thingy
08-07-2006, 01:59 PM
On 2006-08-04 00:44, Celestial wrote:
Dirge of Cerebus is getting horrible reviews/previews i wouldnt give it a chance.
Yeah i agree, You should buy ffx12 first, then if you want DOC, get it later e=when you can, I'm assuming you can't get both due to money issues...
08-07-2006, 02:11 PM
While there haven't been any release dates tossed out, there will be a FF13. In fact, there's going to be 3 of them (mobile, ps3 ff13 and ps3 ff13 versus version). o_o
As for my preferences, 9 is currently my favorite with 10 relatively close behind. I actually did start with FF1 on my NES though, and 4 and 6 are pretty close behind 10 in my favorites. As for 7..I think it's a good game and I can see why some people are so fanatic about it, but it really gets way too much praise. Perhaps it annoys me more than it should since the people that hype ff7 too much tend to put a blind eye to other series/games that are better or at least as good.
8 is definitely my least favorite. While I honestly tried to give it a chance, I ended up hating everybody except Rinoa's dog. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif
12 looks interesting, but it -really- ticks me off that they went and added free motion when you still can't avoid attacks 99.9% of the time due to enemies locking on. ><
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Selestiae on 2006-08-07 12:57 ]</font>
08-07-2006, 04:21 PM
VIII and VI are my favorites, though I thought FFIV was pretty good.
I'm not that big of a fan of Final Fantasy - but I continually buy their games simply for the fact that they can be counted on to deliver a certain level of quality. They're not excellent games, but they're good - and worth the money at least. It beats taking a risk with an unknown property like XenoSaga and .Hack, both of which I bought and found to be either mediocre or below average.
08-07-2006, 04:33 PM
my favourite FFs go in this order: FF4 > FF7 > FF1 > FF5 > FF6 > FF2 those are all the ones I played.
08-07-2006, 05:58 PM
My fav FF is 9. I just thought the story was better than the others.
08-09-2006, 12:36 AM
I don't particularly count myself a Final Fantasy "fan"...since there's no story/narrative continuity between the games (well, until X-2 came out, and the recent blitz of VII-based games) each one has to be judged on their respective individual merits. I'm therefore not too attracted to XII just because it has the FF name on it. Dirge of Cerberus I am interested in because Vincent is one of my favorite VII characters and I'm a major FFVII fan generally. Making it a FPS hybrid may have been a mistake, though, since the FFVII fans would be RPG players, and cross-genre gameplay can easily alienate everybody instead of drawing everyone in. The fact that the U.S. version is apparently getting a fair amount of reworking can't be a sign that they were happy with the initial release, though.
As for the other half of this thread, the FFs I've played I rank in order:
1. VII. One of my four all-time favorite games (with Phantasy Star 4, Lunar: Eternal Blue, and Shadow Hearts). This one just resonates with me somehow. Admittedly, I started it back in 1997, so the CG animations were new and wild to me at the time, but still, it was good stuff.
2. Tactics. Only a half-step behind VII because of the crappy translations and the way the story bogged down so badly in the last chapter while you took time off to do subquests. Incredible story and characters, plus ridiculously addictive (and often difficult) gameplay. I've put over sixty hours each into five complete playthroughs over the years.
3. VIII. Not bad, but flawed. Half of the cast just fell flat with me (Selphie, Quistis, Zell), but the real problem was that the core of the narrative was Squall's growth from sulky adolescent into adulthood and everything important about that ended with his final confrontation with Seifer on disc 3. The entire "save the world" end plot felt utterly tacked on, and Ultimecia's complete lack of character development and motivation sank my interest in her.
4. VI. This game largely bored me. The cast of characters was strong (Terra, Edgar, Celes, Cyan, Sabin, Locke, and Setzer all were interesting and dynamic figures, and the remaining PCs were cool and/or funny) but the story was crippled, for me, by the lack of a defining metaplot. That is, none of the ensemble cast stands out as the "main character" or "hero"--sometimes it appears to be Terra, sometimes Locke, and sometimes again Celes--whose story is being told, and Kefka is an incredibly weak villain whose motivations are impenetrable (though like Sephiroth, he at least has the advantage of being visually and instantly distinctive, so he's stronger in the role than Ultimecia). Once the World of Ruin hit, my interest went out the window, so I collected the cast and powerleveled, but then having Celes able to X-magic the final bosses for 59,995 damage to all targets on screen per turn (X-magic Ultima + Quick, then X-magic Ultimax2 twice) stole the "epic" character of the fights at the end.
5. V. Complete meh. I found nothing at all to appeal in this game, from characters to story to gameplay.
By the way, is it just me, or does the "mainstream" FF series seem to feature incredibly weak (in terms of character development, not gameplay combat) bosses? Sephiroth is as deep as a puddle; his ubercool comes from his visual appearance, demeanor, and mannerisms. Kefka barely registers as a character and his motivations appear to be a generalized "I want it all! I like to hurt people, too!" without any background. Ultimecia is a joke. X-Death is a bad joke. I haven't played IX and X, so I couldn't say if the trend is broken in these more recent games...
08-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Dirge of Cerberus sucks ass. FFXII is just Skies of Arcadia with FF mixed in.
Best FF is 6 IMO
08-09-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm not a big FF fan either, I just have nothing to play and I like summoning pets to do my bidding, haha.
08-09-2006, 01:32 PM
I'll wait for DOC. It looks okay, but I'll have to play it myself in order to form my own opinion.
vBulletin® v3.7.6, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.