PDA

View Full Version : a little Q for the beta testers

littleman2347
Aug 6, 2006, 09:54 AM
I dont know if this subject has been brought up after the testing but is there a blocking button, or is it still based completly on defence.

Nisshoku
Aug 6, 2006, 10:08 AM
If I recall, there was never any blocking button for PSO, so why on earth would there be once for PSU? Not only that, but they did away with the shield slot in PSU.

So yes, it is all dependant on your DFP and EVP stats.

littleman2347
Aug 6, 2006, 10:17 AM
kk

RedSummers
Aug 6, 2006, 11:24 AM
To bad, it be better with a block button

-Jack RedSummers

Phaze37
Aug 6, 2006, 04:49 PM
but they did away with the shield slot in PSU.

Wait, there are no shields in PSU? Are you serious?

Kyuu
Aug 6, 2006, 04:59 PM
On 2006-08-06 14:49, Phaze37 wrote:

Wait, there are no shields in PSU? Are you serious?

Yep.

And this isn't an action game, it's an RPG. If you want manual blocking, go play Ninja Gaiden.

Phaze37
Aug 6, 2006, 05:09 PM
Well, it's an action RPG. But yeah, having a block button would change the dynamics of the game. Why would I bother playing as a race/class combination that sacrifices other stats for high defense if I could just block incoming attacks? If this game had a block button all of my characters would be newmans. On 2nd thought if this game had a block button I wouldn't play it because it would be either a bad game, or completely different from PSO.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phaze37 on 2006-08-06 15:11 ]</font>

littleman2347
Aug 6, 2006, 05:26 PM
i liked having shields

zandra117
Aug 6, 2006, 05:44 PM
I wonder if the new arm or body slots on the armor will have some visual shields. And those goggles that allow people to see photon spots while exterminating SEED might be equipped in the head slot of the armor.

littleman2347
Aug 6, 2006, 09:28 PM
is the armor shield thing that thing in the sholder that have different colors those might have replaced shield ne1 wanna shead some light on this.

Kyuu
Aug 6, 2006, 09:35 PM
On 2006-08-06 19:28, littleman2347 wrote:
is the armor shield thing that thing in the sholder that have different colors those might have replaced shield ne1 wanna shead some light on this.

That's the "shield line system," and that's your armor.

littleman2347
Aug 6, 2006, 10:03 PM
so no more shileds : (

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 7, 2006, 01:04 AM
On 2006-08-06 15:09, Phaze37 wrote:
Well, it's an action RPG. But yeah, having a block button would change the dynamics of the game. Why would I bother playing as a race/class combination that sacrifices other stats for high defense if I could just block incoming attacks?

Me: So you can survive or not be in immediate need of healing when you DO get hit. Say, by mistake or unblockable attack, especially if they're cheap and unavoidable (if PSU has em).

Phaze37: If this game had a block button all of my characters would be newmans. On 2nd thought if this game had a block button I wouldn't play it because it would be either a bad game

Me: Yeah, like Champions of No Wrath: Return to Arms. Though its blocking wasn't even one of its big problems...

Phaze37: or completely different from PSO

Let me explain an example of a really good blocking system: Monster Hunter, my only example of good blocking in an action RPG. First off, only some of the weapon types are capable of blocking. Second, you lose stamina when you block an attack. Stamina that is drained from blocking or running cannot be rejuvenated while in guard stance (so if you've been running, suddenly turtling wouldn't help). Without stamina you cannot block. Third, you still lose life when you block, and this includes life you could have naturally regained by not getting hit. Fourth, blocking gets you knocked back a bit, and each block-capable weapon has its own animation for blocked attacks. Heavy attacks have a different animation that pushes you farther back and makes you feel the weight of the blow (good thing you blocked!) and that just makes blocking seem more bad ass.

A lot of the aforementioned points make blocking seem like a stupid move, and that evasion is better. Truth is, evasion is almost always better. But there are instances when defense is better. It is quicker and easier to just raise your shield or sword than to roll out of something's way. Sometimes you aren't even in a good position to roll or run away so you have no choice but to block.

Wow, that was a lot lengthier than I thought. But it goes to show that to make certain things work well in a game, a lot of thought has to be put into it and the game needs to be developed with it in mind. I highly doubt PSO would be very good with a blocking system in it (the EVA stat-induced blocking doesn't count since it's autoblock), and without actually playing PSU I couldn't tell if blocking would serve that game well either. I can say one thing though: the blocking in Chumps of Norrath is a good example of dull blocking: Just raise sword or shield and block any melee attack or arrow that comes your way, that's it. Real simple. Well, except some attacks can't be blocked and knock you on your ass and leave you open for rape. Still, I just wanted to say that blocking is only as good as the devs that put it into a game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2006-08-06 23:05 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2006-08-06 23:08 ]</font>

Fleece
Aug 7, 2006, 02:09 AM
yeah but monster hunter is shit lol

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 7, 2006, 02:55 AM
...http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
And how is Monster Hunter shit? Actually, let's take that to a different topic to compare MH, PSO and what we know about PSU.

Earthsunderer
Aug 7, 2006, 06:18 AM
Wait a minute. Are there even different races to select at game start to begin with?

Sinue_v2
Aug 7, 2006, 06:25 AM
I didn't have any problems with manually blocking/parrying in Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. That's a real-time combat RPG as well. In fact, I'm sure if you look around there's a lot of examples of manual blocking in action RPGs. Some done well, some poorly. It depends on the developer - so if Sonic Team had wanted, I'm sure it could have been implimented and excecuted in a balanced and fair manner.

There was really no point in you even bringing it up.

Chiba-kun
Aug 7, 2006, 07:14 AM
I actually think a blocking system would be great for psu. BUT, it would need to be dont properly. It would need to be based on a stat, id say evp, and you would have to press the button at an exact moment for it to even attempt to block. The stat would be used in a way that if you dont have enough of the stat (say evp) than you wouldnt be able to block the hit even if you hit th ebutton at the perfect time. Monsters would also need to be very dymanic, not similar number for every monster so that you might be able to dodge one, but than turn around and not dodge the next one.

Basicly it would just be a suppliment to what there currently is.

Dhylec
Aug 7, 2006, 08:36 AM
It would need to be based on a stat, id say evp, and you would have to press the button at an exact moment for it to even attempt to block. The stat would be used in a way that if you dont have enough of the stat (say evp) than you wouldnt be able to block the hit even if you hit th ebutton at the perfect time.
Nice idea for offline, but not very applicable online - specially the perfect timing part. Having hi-speed connection doesn't guarantee that the game is smooth online. Online might suffer from connection latency that can throw the timing off - making the block ineffective. Now, plus the Evp factor just makes this blocking become a roulette game - that is not something you wanna bet on in the heat of the battle. ;]

Velocity_7
Aug 7, 2006, 09:00 AM
Reason for no shields was that if you got hit in PSO, and you could shield very well, you'd block but you wouldn't be able to do anything at all. Here in PSU, if you're really strong and can "shield" well via your Shield Lining of sorts, you just take 0 damage and no one complains.