PDA

View Full Version : talking?

SinaiBeach
Aug 9, 2006, 11:26 PM
I have never played a game online before and when this game comes out i will get it and play it online. I was wondering if you can communicate with people in the game using a headset or something? maybe dumb question but i really know nothing

Saner
Aug 10, 2006, 12:02 AM
Xbox360 will have voice communication and there is ways for PC to headset/microphone chat too.

but these online games are mainly text chat based, which is more universal and comfortable, considering everyone can read text bubbles but only headset users can hear headset users.

but headset will be an option for the X360 and PC.

zandra117
Aug 10, 2006, 06:42 AM
Correcton, Headset is only for the 360 version. For the PC version you will have to use an external program like an instant messenger or ventrillo to use voice chat that is not part of the game.

DrewSeleski
Aug 10, 2006, 08:29 AM
Also anyone with a PC and mic can use the external program(vent, etc.) even if they are playing PSU on thier ps2.

PandaMasterX4
Aug 10, 2006, 11:12 AM
Team speak ftw!

SinaiBeach
Aug 10, 2006, 11:30 AM
I will get gettin it for PS2 so i guess no headset then right?

Saner
Aug 10, 2006, 11:48 AM
that's right no headset.

PS2 can support virtually any USB keyboard so it would help having one of those handy for communication.

If you feel uncomfortable using a keyboard and controller at once, just set the keyboard at a desk or lap, and learn when are the best times to type even during the middle of heavy action.
It doesn't take skill to be able to perform actions while typing with the other hand. but it's easy to get used to depending on your style and way of adapting to it.

But if its too much to handle, they do sell 2-in-1 special keyboards with controller functions added to the left and right parts of the keyboard. I never used those but I guess some prefer that style. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

but for the most part, communication isn't all that necessary during a battle, there is also plenty of time and preparation between waves of enemies and areas to discuss plans and strategies or advice, comments, etc. to get a point across.

Overall keyboard chat is universal and widely used and the primary form of communication in online RPGs including WoW, FF11, CoN, etc.
So there are even players with PC or Xbox360 who use keyboards for those kind of games.

so even for this game, keyboard chat is quite natural and easy to get used to, just like when PSO first came out for Dreamcast. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-08-10 09:52 ]</font>

SinaiBeach
Aug 10, 2006, 02:17 PM
Can i just use the keyboard for everything or do i have to have the controller as well?

Abaru-FP
Aug 10, 2006, 02:35 PM
For the PC version it is possible to use only a keyboard. But, from what the beta testers are reporting, the game feels as if they were meant to be played using a controller. So I would recommend getting comfortable using both.

As for the 360 and the PS2, I have no idea if it is possible to only use a keyboard, but I doubt it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Abaru-FP on 2006-08-10 12:36 ]</font>

PandaMasterX4
Aug 10, 2006, 02:40 PM
PCs can always use controllers

SinaiBeach
Aug 10, 2006, 07:03 PM
Its gonna suck having to go back and forth on my PS2 with the keyboard and controller but from what i see from this game it is definetly worth it unless u have to pay a monthly fee for this game which i doubt or hope they dont integrate later on down the road.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SinaiBeach on 2006-08-10 17:15 ]</font>

Axios-
Aug 10, 2006, 07:23 PM
On 2006-08-10 17:03, SinaiBeach wrote:
Its gonna suck having to go back and forth on my PS2 with the keyboard and controller but from what i see from this game it is definetly worth it unless u have to pay a monthly fee for this game which i doubt or hope they dont integrate later on down the road.

Umm, don't hold your breath. There's going to be a monthly fee.

Foxix
Aug 10, 2006, 07:25 PM
yeah thats what I thought too when I bought PSO, but it actually wasn't that bad. Although, I did have the ASCII keyboard with controller pads attached to either end of it. Just hold it while playing and then set it on your lap when you need to type, not much different from just setting the controller down and leaving the KB in your lap.

SinaiBeach
Aug 10, 2006, 07:40 PM
there is going to be monthly fee?? how much??

Phaze37
Aug 10, 2006, 07:45 PM
about $9 american a month I think.