PDA

View Full Version : PSU No Free Roaming Only Quest?!

Killuminati
Aug 9, 2006, 11:34 PM
The old PSO-style system has been abolished in favor of a more flexible quest system. This system is very elegant in its simplicity, but can be difficult to describe to someone not familar with the game.

In the closed beta, each planet had one starting area that you could visit. After you cleared that starting area, you moved on to a checkpoint. At the checkpoint, you could recharge your weapon's PP and buy healing items. Once your finished resupplying, you could move on to the next mission or switch to an entirely different planet

I don't know if I'm fond of this if it's like Guild Wars. One of the reasons I liked PSO was because of the free roaming, now the only way to play is by accepting a quest?? I played Guild Wars and didn't like playing it because of the quest you had to accept to play to get items.

I do like that you can now get rares from synthesis now though.

Numnuttz
Aug 9, 2006, 11:44 PM
um yea we knew about this awhile ago but just cause you need a quest to fight doesnt mean you cant just not do the quest and kill everything. but by finishing quest you get xp for your job so it actually works out for the new features in the game. so its not really bad.

Killuminati
Aug 9, 2006, 11:48 PM
On 2006-08-09 21:44, Numnuttz wrote:
um yea we knew about this awhile ago but just cause you need a quest to fight doesnt mean you cant just not do the quest and kill everything. but by finishing quest you get xp for your job so it actually works out for the new features in the game. so its not really bad.

I geuss that will be ok then I am just really ancious to play this game as it seems like a true sequal to PSO I was very dissapointed in Episode 3.

vitius137
Aug 9, 2006, 11:49 PM
it doesn't sound that great, but according to beta testers it actually works out really well. They say its the same as free roaming exept you get extra money and exp at the end.

PS. every new PSO-world user uses that avatar. even I did, lol.

Numnuttz
Aug 9, 2006, 11:50 PM
lol i kinda know how you feel on episode 3, but i was like you when i heard about the no free raoming thing. But after reading more about the game i came to realize its a good thing .

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Numnuttz on 2006-08-09 21:53 ]</font>

Saner
Aug 10, 2006, 12:15 AM
since when was PSO ever 'free-roaming'? the locations were practically point A to point B stages anyway.

besides in PSU you can repeat any missions you completed so it still is the 'free-roaming' you liked in the PSO games.

besides with this new mission and ranking structure, people will aim for greater challenges and rewards in those same locations.
Plus the new locations they access later will offer new layouts and I think they mentioned random generated areas too just like PSO had before.

Killuminati
Aug 10, 2006, 12:46 AM
On 2006-08-09 21:49, vitius137 wrote:
it doesn't sound that great, but according to beta testers it actually works out really well. They say its the same as free roaming exept you get extra money and exp at the end.

PS. every new PSO-world user uses that avatar. even I did, lol.

I created my account in a hurray and just didn't bother with chaning it I will though.

ANIMEniac
Aug 10, 2006, 03:00 AM
i know in guildwars you could always just go out and free roam w/o a quest objective to complete in the area. i have done it manny times ot get needed items. so it wont be too bad i think. the only thing i dont like, and do like... is that ppl cant join you once you have a set team in the feild.

Killuminati
Aug 10, 2006, 03:24 AM
On 2006-08-10 01:00, ANIMEniac wrote:
i know in guildwars you could always just go out and free roam w/o a quest objective to complete in the area. i have done it manny times ot get needed items. so it wont be too bad i think. the only thing i dont like, and do like... is that ppl cant join you once you have a set team in the feild.

It's been a long time since I have played it and yeah that's one thing I didn't like about it either good thing you could always get PCs to help you.

Saner
Aug 10, 2006, 03:15 PM
PSU looks like people can't simply join your party unless you're at a Outpost/checkpoint or something right?

that's good, in PSO back then, if you had space and it wasn't a private password team, people would join and there would be a wait time loading until they finally appeared. lol. it got crazy if people came and left often. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

PandaMasterX4
Aug 10, 2006, 03:18 PM
I sorta wish there was at least some areas that you could explore without being on a mission but, I won't fret so much.

Saner
Aug 10, 2006, 03:20 PM
um you can repeat missions so that is sort of like free exploring.
your selection of areas increases as you complete missions.

there will always be reasons to revisit previous areas now and then.

I think I heard like you can go to Parum plains and Neudaiz forest even at level 1 but of course its not recommended since monsters there are intended for higher levels.

Eternal255
Aug 10, 2006, 03:22 PM
PSO wasnt really free roaming- free roaming would be a game like.... world of warcraft, where u can go anywhere in the world, at any time. PSO was basically a huge quest in itself- You pick forest 1, your mission is to defeat all the enemies there and move to the next area, you cant just stay in one spot killing the same enemies over and over like in WoW (or other MMO's i played WoW) where they resapwn. So i dont think the way they have it now will be much different than the way they have it in PSO

PandaMasterX4
Aug 10, 2006, 03:25 PM
I'll still like the game regardless. It plays smooth and the lobby's don't feel like prison cells.

Saner
Aug 10, 2006, 03:26 PM
ya PSO was linear to begin with. Cave, Mines, etc. weren't accessible until the previous locations were completed.

now it looks like the missions/locations can branch out better and players will have more options to explore new areas and stuff, while still offering the option to revisit previous areas/missions completed. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Saner
Aug 10, 2006, 03:29 PM
On 2006-08-10 13:25, PandaMasterX4 wrote:
I'll still like the game regardless. It plays smooth and the lobby's don't feel like prison cells.

exactly! the lobby blocks certainly felt like prison cells. even the mini shop hub.

now the lobbies and hubs combine into cities and stuff and we get our own apartments and more so it feels like home sweet home with a natural civilized enviornment! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Phaze37
Aug 10, 2006, 08:19 PM
PSU looks like people can't simply join your party unless you're at a Outpost/checkpoint or something right?

I sure hope not. In Blue Burst I would create a game in a crowded lobby... and wait for hours as noone joined. So, if I wanted to play with a party, I'd basically have to join someone else's game in progress. If you can't join other games in progress unless they're at a checkpoint, that would be HORRIBLE.

Kyuu
Aug 10, 2006, 08:42 PM
PSU looks like people can't simply join your party unless you're at a Outpost/checkpoint or something right? Yeah, I have no idea where you got that from. People can join your mission at any point, unless I'm mistaken.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-08-10 18:43 ]</font>

Kyunji
Aug 10, 2006, 08:57 PM
One problem: by "missions" and "quests," PSO-style quests aren't meant. Although there may be some quests that have mini-"plots" (to use the term loosely) much like PSO, from what I've heard, missions are generally just "run through level, kill enemies" or possibly "run through level, kill enemies, kill boss at end of level." You don't have to play through an annoying mission with badly translated dialogue over and over again.

Thus, missions in themself are essentially "free roaming" as the topic creator used the term.

Axios-
Aug 10, 2006, 09:04 PM
It looks to play like PSO but with some more options. PSO was far from "free roaming" and so is PSU. No drastic changes here.

Fleece
Aug 11, 2006, 07:08 AM
People can join at anytime in PSU ive seen videos from THIS site proving you can lol.

Saner
Aug 11, 2006, 07:28 AM
anytime?? you mean they can warp in out of the blue? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

hmmm then...outposts are mainly for replenishing supplies?

AlphaX99
Aug 11, 2006, 07:39 AM
That is what I would guess, but we won't know until we play it.

therealAERO
Aug 11, 2006, 07:58 AM
I can't really remember, but I think I may have not been able to join peoples quests that were at the outpost when I was at Guardian Colony. Remember I'm not tatally sure on that. So I could only do the beginning mission...don't quote me though. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif perhaps Parn could come clear things up, or Razon, Kyori or all the other beta testers. My memory is horrible.

NDkEwL
Aug 11, 2006, 08:00 AM
What i read was that people can join whenever, but they would have to run from where the checkpoint is to where the whole group is standing...meaning, if you join late, you have to run across half the level just to get to where the party is...but, we are used to that unless someone ryuker/telepiped us to where they were anyways...i hated when i joined a group that was at caves 3 and I had to run the whole way there =(

Parn
Aug 11, 2006, 08:01 AM
You're right on with that, Aero.

Tystys
Aug 11, 2006, 01:50 PM
Yes, but I'd still like to visit the same areas even when I'm high leveled and still get some decent EXP and money

therealAERO
Aug 11, 2006, 02:06 PM
You can just go to a Higher Ranked Version of it. Highest I saw was A rank(compare the ranks to the old method of normal, hard, very hard, and ultimate)

Kyuu
Aug 11, 2006, 03:07 PM
On 2006-08-11 06:01, Parn wrote:

You're right on with that, Aero.
Meaning people can join a quest while the party is at an outpost, but can join at any other time, or...?

PhotonCat
Aug 11, 2006, 06:10 PM
From what I saw, PSU is like PSO except the areas are divided into "Missons". After completing the "Mission" you get rewarded at the end. It will just be like doing Forest 1 except getting a reward at the end depending on how well you perform.

Unless there is a time limit(which I hope there isn't) you should not feel rushed or tense while playing. It will just be as laid-back as PSO was.

Parn
Aug 11, 2006, 10:08 PM
On 2006-08-11 13:07, Kyuu wrote:
Meaning people can join a quest while the party is at an outpost, but can join at any other time, or...?
As an example to explain things, on one particular morning when Kyori, Razon and myself had started the next mission to fight the dragon at the outpost in Parum after going through the initial fields mission, Aero wasn't able to join us at that point. He had to go through the initial fields mission to reach the outpost before he could join up with us. There was no way for him to just automatically warp to the outpost and join us for the dragon fight. So basically, we went back to Parum so we could join up and get him through the initial fields mission first, which is a lot faster than just waiting, not to mention way more fun.

Jinto117
Aug 11, 2006, 10:45 PM
When you say go back do you mean walk back or some other way?

Diverdan86
Aug 11, 2006, 10:46 PM
I really, really, REALLY hope this "no free-roaming" thing wount turn into another Monster Hunter. Good game, but that game had a no free roaming system where you had to pick a quest which was slightly annoying and the quest itself choose where you would go.

Axios-
Aug 11, 2006, 10:47 PM
It worked well for PSO, and it will work well for PSU.

Parn
Aug 11, 2006, 10:52 PM
Walk back. It takes only a few moments. While there may be no telepipes or Ryuker, there are warp crystals at the start of each mission stage, and each mission on the beta was divided into three stages. Think of these stages as something similar to Forest 1 and Forest 2, or Ruins 1 and Ruins 2, etc.

As an example, if a party had reached stage 3 and activated the warp crystal there, if someone just joined the game, they'd start in stage 1... but using the warp crystal, they could teleport themselves to the crystal in stage 3. It works the other way around as well... you can go back.

If you're at the outpost, you can go through the exit you emerged out of when you completed the first mission to go back to town without having to go through the dungeon again.

BTW, I've never played Monster Hunter, but these missions are chosen at the location you want to go. It's not like PSO where you were at a Hunter's Guild counter picking from a list... there are exits dedicated to specific dungeon instances that you go to. Going in puts you onto a screen listing available missions for that area. If you want to do missions in the Mizaruki Preserve over and over again, you have that option.

Kyuu
Aug 11, 2006, 11:26 PM
Ah, thanks for the explanation Parn. Everything sounds good to me.

Saner
Aug 12, 2006, 12:51 AM
On 2006-08-11 20:52, Parn wrote:
Walk back. It takes only a few moments. While there may be no telepipes or Ryuker, there are warp crystals at the start of each mission stage, and each mission on the beta was divided into three stages. Think of these stages as something similar to Forest 1 and Forest 2, or Ruins 1 and Ruins 2, etc.

As an example, if a party had reached stage 3 and activated the warp crystal there, if someone just joined the game, they'd start in stage 1... but using the warp crystal, they could teleport themselves to the crystal in stage 3. It works the other way around as well... you can go back.

If you're at the outpost, you can go through the exit you emerged out of when you completed the first mission to go back to town without having to go through the dungeon again.

BTW, I've never played Monster Hunter, but these missions are chosen at the location you want to go. It's not like PSO where you were at a Hunter's Guild counter picking from a list... there are exits dedicated to specific dungeon instances that you go to. Going in puts you onto a screen listing available missions for that area. If you want to do missions in the Mizaruki Preserve over and over again, you have that option.

in PSO there was little reason to backtrack anyways most of the time. Although that changes when the dungeons branch out and get more complex with the whole switches and located doors/fences layouts. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

but ya ppl dont need to worry about freeroaming. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif