PDA

View Full Version : What do I need on my PS2 to play this...

AlphaX99
Aug 10, 2006, 07:06 PM
Sorry but im so new to this i dont even know how to get the online started with my PS2 so i can go play PSU... What do i do.. I think i know: Get a Network adapter, put it on PS2, connect it to a computer??

Foxix
Aug 10, 2006, 07:20 PM
I am not really sure myself, I thought you could just connect straight to the router/modem like an xbox O_o but I don't know. I just got a new PSTwo, yay for built in ethernet port http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

VioletSkye
Aug 10, 2006, 07:38 PM
Not unless you plan to use ICS (internet connection sharing.) The PS2 Network adapter will either connect directly to your broadband modem or to a router so you can share the connection. Keep in mind many ISPs now provide modems with routing capability built-in (wireless, wired or both.)

SinaiBeach
Aug 10, 2006, 07:46 PM
Yeah i was wondering that as well i guess i have to get a router from like best buy or compUSA or something right?

AlphaX99
Aug 10, 2006, 07:48 PM
I have a Linksys wireless, and thanks guys i figured it out... im just gonna go buy a really long ethernet cable to connect to my PS2 because my PC is like downstairs and the PS2 is upstairs in my room with the good TV.. so i need the long ethernet cable that i will buy at Best buy i suppose.

VioletSkye
Aug 10, 2006, 07:54 PM
you may want to go with a wireless ethernet bridge instead of such a long cable. They are also referred to as wireless gaming adapters and you should be able to find one easily at any pc store like Best Buy, Comp USA, Circuit City, Radio Shack etc. The price wil probably be comparable to buying such a long ethernet cable and it makes alot more sense.

BTW, you will need either a modem with a wireless gateway built-in or a router with wireless capability http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-08-10 17:55 ]</font>

Fleece
Aug 10, 2006, 07:57 PM
Make your own ethernet cable, ill lend you my crimpers.

I have a 20 foot patch cable lol for NO reason at all. Its just something to do when your bored.

AlphaX99
Aug 10, 2006, 08:28 PM
actually...VioletSkye you make a point, ill look at RadioShack.

Fleece
Aug 10, 2006, 08:42 PM
Nah, join my cable making club we'll have a blast just the two of us http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

lol

Kyuu
Aug 10, 2006, 08:52 PM
On 2006-08-10 18:42, Fleece wrote:

Nah, join my cable making club we'll have a blast just the two of us http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

lol
I would, but I've forgotten the order of the colors. =(

It's been a long time since I made an ethernet cable.

VioletSkye
Aug 10, 2006, 09:01 PM
On 2006-08-10 18:42, Fleece wrote:

lol

Heh it's no longer a blast for me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

I must have ran 100 miles worth of ethernet cable over the years (and yes we crimp our own cables also.) I've actually got (3) 200' rolls laying in my closet with crimpers and ends.

MissingAce
Aug 10, 2006, 09:18 PM
Sorry but im a bit in the dark still do i need a network adapter if a have a router or vice versa or do i need both?

VioletSkye
Aug 10, 2006, 09:50 PM
If you have an older PS2, then you will need to get the network adapter, if it is one of the newer slim models it should have an ethernet port already. That takes care of the PS2 end. Connecting to the PS2's ethernet port or adapter will be either a modem/wireless gateway/modem and router combo or a router/hub/wireless gaming adapter. Hope that made sense http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

You will only need the network adapter if your PS2 doesn't already have an ethernet port.

BTW, we usually did our ethernet cable pinouts like this:

Standard (Straight through)
White/Green
Green
White/Orange
Blue
White/Blue
Orange
White/Brown
Brown

For a Crossover cable we used:
White/Orange
Orange
White/Green
Blue
White/Blue
Green
White/Brown
Brown

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-08-10 20:03 ]</font>

AvianKaitos
Aug 10, 2006, 10:05 PM
Are PS2 network adapters plug and play, or do they need drivers?

Because I'm thinking of buying an adapter off of a friend; and he doesn't do well with keeping everything together.

VioletSkye
Aug 10, 2006, 10:10 PM
It requires an 8MB memory card with 137KB of free space in addition to a Network Adapter Startup disk that comes with it that you use to set up your connection.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-08-10 20:11 ]</font>

Saner
Aug 10, 2006, 10:11 PM
PS2 network adapters come with a disc to configure stuff. You'll definitely need that to set it up.

I think the slim PS2 has the disk already in the system instruction manual bag, since the network adapter is already inside the system.

ryeenae
Aug 10, 2006, 10:32 PM
On 2006-08-10 20:11, Saner wrote:
PS2 network adapters come with a disc to configure stuff. You'll definitely need that to set it up.

Actually, some games will allow you to create a network configuration file, though it isn't guaranteed that PSU will have that capability, so you would certinaly be better off having the disk that comes with the network adapter, just in case.

AvianKaitos
Aug 10, 2006, 10:36 PM
aw crap

Sinue_v2
Aug 11, 2006, 12:29 AM
I have a similar situation with my PS2 upstairs, and the router downstairs. Here's how I did it.

I have an old PII 300Mhz system in my room to do homework (well, classes are online so everything is homework!). I went out and got a Linksys Wireless Router and a USB Wireless adaptor. After setting up the router and the adapter, I used ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) to hook up my hub, which in turn is hooked up to my other devices.

Note: If you only have a PS2 and don't want anything other than the PC or PS2 to go online - then you don't need a Hub. However, make sure you have a Cross Over cable leading from your PC's ethernet port to your PS2. Standard Ethernet won't work. Crossover cables are the same as Ethernet, but with their wires re-arranged to avoid data flow conflict. They won't be any more expensive than normal ethernet.

If you get a hub, then you won't have to worry about this problem - and a standard Ethernet cord will work.

You may just want to use the internal Wireless PCI Card, but I like the USB model since I can move the reciever around in search of a better signal. If you go the USB route, make sure your PC has USB2.0, and not the old 1.1. 2.0 upgrades can generally be bought at the same store you get the Wireless Ethernet Adapters at.

Also, you won't have to worry about this for awhile, but when you get your wireless network setup - be sure to change the channel from the default 5 (2.4 Ghz) to another channel. (I use Channel 11). This will help reduce interferance from cordless phones and other applicances which often run on the same frequency. Depending on your location and situation - the boost in signal strength may be significant.

Saner
Aug 11, 2006, 05:36 AM
On 2006-08-10 20:32, ryeenae wrote:

On 2006-08-10 20:11, Saner wrote:

Actually, some games will allow you to create a network configuration file, though it isn't guaranteed that PSU will have that capability, so you would certinaly be better off having the disk that comes with the network adapter, just in case.

oh right I think the first Champions of Norrath had that configuration feature. although I completely forgot if I used the network disc at all or simply started up CoN and the process took care of things without the network disc.

but ya the disk really is handy.

AlphaX99
Aug 11, 2006, 07:34 AM
So what do you guys think is better, the old PS2 or the PS2 slim for the ethernet and connection set ups and stuff?

Sinue_v2
Aug 11, 2006, 08:20 AM
They're both the same hardware basically, so there is no advantage - aside from the fact that the slimlines are newer and most likely less prone to breaking. If you don't have a PS2 yet, I'd advise getting a new slimline rather than a used fatboy. Considering how much of a strain PSO was on the NGC and DC's lazers - you'll need all the milage you can out of your PS2.

(v.2 killed my DC, and Ep I & II made my NGC Click & DRE after extended use)

SinaiBeach
Aug 11, 2006, 04:15 PM
I have the slimmer newer PS2. Does that mean i dont have to buy an online adapter thingy? Its already integrated into the PS2?

AvianKaitos
Aug 11, 2006, 04:20 PM
On 2006-08-10 20:05, AvianKaitos wrote:
Are PS2 network adapters plug and play, or do they need drivers?

Because I'm thinking of buying an adapter off of a friend; and he doesn't do well with keeping everything together.

Is it illegal to buy or use a used PS2 network adapter and set-up software and then install it in a different PS2? If so, I may want to consider buying a new adapter http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AvianKaitos on 2006-08-11 14:22 ]</font>

SinaiBeach
Aug 11, 2006, 04:30 PM
Can someone just give me step by step what i need to do to be able to play online please thank you very much.

AvianKaitos
Aug 11, 2006, 04:48 PM
1. Look at your PS2,
a) is it a slim line?
b) older model?
If you chose a), don't worry network adapter is built in
If you chose b), get a network adapter

2. Make sure you have a broadband connection, you may need a router and/or 30+ ft Cat-5 cable (depending on the set up of your house)

3. Install your network adapter, (they screw in on the back if it's an old model)

4. Put your network configuration disk in your PS2 and follow the instructions

5. Connect your cables from your adapter to your router/broadband outlet

6. Connect using your PS2,(it should automatically bring you to a billing site) follow the instructions.

7. Find a good credit card (or beg your parents) and pay for PSU

*then you should be all set*

AvianKaitos
Aug 11, 2006, 04:51 PM
On 2006-08-11 14:48, AvianKaitos wrote:
1. Look at your PS2,
a) is it a slim line?
b) older model?
If you chose a), don't worry network adapter is built in
If you chose b), get a network adapter

2. Make sure you have a broadband connection, you may need a router and/or 30+ ft Cat-5 cable (depending on the set up of your house)

3. Install your network adapter, (they screw in on the back if it's an old model)

4. Put your network configuration disk in your PS2 and follow the instructions

5. Connect your cables from your adapter to your router/broadband outlet

6. Connect to the internet using your PS2,(it should automatically bring you to a billing site) follow the instructions.

7. Find a good credit card (or beg your parents) and pay for PSU

*then you should be all set*

SinaiBeach
Aug 11, 2006, 04:55 PM
Ok thanks that helps

AvianKaitos
Aug 11, 2006, 04:57 PM
sorry for the double post http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Fleece
Aug 11, 2006, 05:04 PM
A pc, old skool ps2 with network adapter or slimline ps2 and either a router or a pc with a spare Ethernet port to connect to WAN.

Fleece
Aug 11, 2006, 05:05 PM
If you REALLY need help after youve got your copies of PSU im qualified in Cisco if you need any networking advice.

SinaiBeach
Aug 11, 2006, 05:24 PM
One last quesiton. My PS2 and computer are in my room they are like 10 maybe 15 feet away from each other and i have a cable connection. All i need to buy is one of those network cables right? I dont need to buy a router since the ps2 and comp arent far away right?

AvianKaitos
Aug 11, 2006, 05:27 PM
you don't HAVE to, but switching between your computer and your PS2 can get old, fast.
If possible, you could place your tv next to your computer, so you don't need to buy a cable.

And if you really want to conserve electrical outlets, buy a VGA adapter (optional) so you can play your PS2 on your computer monitor.

Fleece
Aug 11, 2006, 05:32 PM
Avian he means using his PC as a router.

Yeah, it IS possible but you need ALL your internet connection details. If you have msn messenger i believe my hotmail address is on here, im on everyday.

You can connect your PS2 to your PC via a Cross-Over cable ad enable internet connection sharing on your PC to allow your ps2 to connect to WAN via your PC's connection. I can explain this beter if you just add me to MSN.

PandaMasterX4
Aug 11, 2006, 05:37 PM
Cross-over cables are nice. They even let you connect linux to windows.

Fleece
Aug 11, 2006, 05:41 PM
So do switchers......... and many other networking interfaces.....

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 11, 2006, 05:44 PM
wait, you can't use dsl for the ps2 version?

VioletSkye
Aug 11, 2006, 06:18 PM
On 2006-08-11 15:44, Shiroryuu wrote:
wait, you can't use dsl for the ps2 version?

Of course you can. You can use any type of broadband whether it be DSL, Cable, Satellite (yuck) or a T connection.

BTW I'm also Cisco certified (CCNA + CCDA) as well as Network+ certified so I can help out as well http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Heh, I never bothered getting my CCNP http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Anyway, I think people are making this harder than it really is. Most members will likely need only to connect their PS2 to either their router or modem with an ethernet cable. That's it. Run the Network setup disk for your PS2 and configure it accordingly and that's it. For those wanting/needing to use ICS, I'm sure we could easily/quickly create a small step by step tutorial http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

(that sounds like a good project for Fleece lol.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-08-11 16:34 ]</font>

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 11, 2006, 06:39 PM
oh, cool, thanks.

Fleece
Aug 11, 2006, 06:49 PM
I dont know much about the PS2 setup disc, im a bit useless in that department.

ryeenae
Aug 11, 2006, 07:22 PM
Setting up the network configuration file was very easy, and really isn't an issue. There were only 3-4 steps and mostly you just set it to auto-detect things, you don't have to manually input anything. As long as you can hook your PS2 up to whatever network you have, getting everything working really isn't that difficult.

VioletSkye
Aug 11, 2006, 08:22 PM
On 2006-08-11 16:49, Fleece wrote:
I dont know much about the PS2 setup disc, im a bit useless in that department.

I was refering to the ICS setup only. Heh, if they can't figure out how to connect an ethernet cable to the pc nic and the PS2 after ICS is setup, then God help them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif