PDA

View Full Version : Cheesy Unavoidable Spells?

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 12, 2006, 01:42 AM
You know how in PSO there were certian spells that were impossible to dodge? Stuff like Rafoie which simply made an explosion appear right on top of you, or Grantz that could only be avoided by leaving the room?

Well, will PSU have these same sorts of moves that make getting hit frequently nigh inevitable? If that's so, can you at least prevent the enemy from using these techs by attacking them or by some other means?

Saner
Aug 12, 2006, 01:47 AM
Forces are usually fragile and feeble warriors. so they need the power of magic to rely on. it wouldn't help if they miss. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

but ya I seen some techs and some are like projectiles that can miss.

but ya you can expect explosions and stuff to be virtually unavoidable. but I think the Shield Line system will provide various forms of protection. so it kinda balances the offense and defense.

but thankfully there is no PvP so you dont have to worry about fighting FOs....although some monsters can use techs and area effects.

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 12, 2006, 01:53 AM
Teh! What skill does it take to target something and make an explosion appear on them? If the enemy decides to put that sort of attack on me, I'll make sure to mow down every last enemy mage in my path, as well as off it.

Well, I can see that Rangers will be in demand...I could imagine some Hunters not being able to run up to mages in time to prevent casting by KILLING THE MAGE!, especially if said mages know how to kite and there are melee baddies getting in said Hunter's way.

Saner
Aug 12, 2006, 02:08 AM
well magic in games have often been like that. they are forces beyond mere physical weapons.

but note these techs in this game do not auto-target people, they simply damage in the area/range they are casted on.

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 12, 2006, 02:19 AM
I know that magic in games has often been like that, and I don't like it one bit, especially when combat is realtime. Where I come from, magic atually took skill because spells needed to be aimed. In some cases, mages had to be careful where they aimed lest they get themselves blown up. Sadly, few games are like that with the magic.

Wait, they only affect the range or area, and not targeting people? Well, I like the sound of this. If that's true, does this mean the very nature of Rafoie is changed? Like an explosion you actually had to place in the right spot to make work? Does this mean you can just run out of the spell's area to avoid it? (of course, it might be hard to do so...)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2006-08-12 00:20 ]</font>

-Crokar-
Aug 12, 2006, 02:20 AM
is there the gifoie spell. tats my favorite spell ever

Zeig123
Aug 12, 2006, 02:27 AM
On 2006-08-12 00:20, -Crokar- wrote:
is there the gifoie spell. tats my favorite spell ever

Its my favorite too http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif...but now its like a rabarta and I wont care for it too much unless it has an area effect beyond its animation sorta like rabarta did when it was at higher levels

Tekershee
Aug 12, 2006, 04:27 AM
I thought we were talking about the enemies missing but Saner seems to be talking about us players missing...

Saner
Aug 12, 2006, 04:32 AM
oh!

in that case well, we can now carry about double the amount of healing items before so I think it will be okay as long as you be careful. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Fleece
Aug 12, 2006, 07:19 AM
Saner why do you always speculate, why not just wait for a beta tester to answer or someone who actually know what theyre on about. You havnt played the game and this guy is worried so dont encourage it by talking about something you dont know.

Saner
Aug 12, 2006, 07:29 AM
oh don't be so self-righteous http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I was just speculating the positive side of the spectrum, while they speculate the negative possibilities. neither is wrong to speculate but even the closed beta haven't revealed all of the techniques so there is much even beta testers are not 100% sure on either.

and none of this is out of the ordinary because like most topics this is a DISCUSSION. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

tank1
Aug 12, 2006, 07:39 AM
Theres nothing fair or fun about spells that hit automatically rangers are frail to but they have to aim. Though from what i have heard it does sound like most spells will have to be aimed by the enemy instead of an instant lightning bolt hitting etc now wheres a beta player to confirm this?

EspioKaos
Aug 12, 2006, 08:32 AM
OK, here's how it works. All of the attack techniques that were available in the beta had to be manually aimed. It takes a little getting used to, especially when you're used to the auto-targeting that techs like zonde, grants and rafoie had in PSO, but it makes for a good change. So, technically speaking, if an enemy were to cast rafoie or zonde at you (or if you were to cast them on an enemy), the attacks can be avoided it you're able to move out of the way fast enough.

Oh, and about stopping an enemy from casting techs, yeah, it's possible. You can inflict silence on an enemy which will temporarily halt them from being able to cast; two known methods of doing this are by using a deega-family earth tech (they have a chance of inflicting silence) or by using a silence trap.

Zarbolord
Aug 12, 2006, 10:00 AM
Or use an earth powered weapon with that effect. All three work pretty well too. And I don't think that the spells seem as big and expanded as the pso ones. If you look at rafoie and rabarta they seem to have a small area of damage infliction.

mechatra
Aug 12, 2006, 11:34 AM
On 2006-08-12 08:00, Zarbolord wrote:
Or use an earth powered weapon with that effect. All three work pretty well too. And I don't think that the spells seem as big and expanded as the pso ones. If you look at rafoie and rabarta they seem to have a small area of damage infliction.

Is it actually possible to inflict silence with an earth weapon? IIRC Hunter weapons cannot inflict status with elements, just deal elemental damage, and Ranger weapons affinitys are set by the PA's equiped to them.

Chances are obviously there'll be earth bullets, but we havent seen any so far.

EspioKaos
Aug 12, 2006, 12:02 PM
On 2006-08-12 09:34, mechatra wrote:
Chances are obviously there'll be earth bullets, but we havent seen any so far.
Actually, toward the end of the beta the earth bullet PA disks were released. They include Gravter Shoot (rifle), Barata Deega (shotgun), Jiseisou (longbow), Twin Gravter (twin handgun), Gravter Hit (handgun) and Gravter Fever (machinegun).

DoctorShasta
Aug 12, 2006, 12:33 PM
Thats pretty cool, maybe people will appreciate rangers more if there is a boss that casts some like super huge spell that they could cancel.

mechatra
Aug 12, 2006, 01:19 PM
On 2006-08-12 10:02, EspioKaos wrote:
Actually, toward the end of the beta the earth bullet PA disks were released. They include Gravter Shoot (rifle), Barata Deega (shotgun), Jiseisou (longbow), Twin Gravter (twin handgun), Gravter Hit (handgun) and Gravter Fever (machinegun).

Well I stand corrected ^_^

Thanks for that Espio.

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 12, 2006, 01:41 PM
On 2006-08-12 06:32, EspioKaos wrote:
OK, here's how it works. All of the attack techniques that were available in the beta had to be manually aimed. It takes a little getting used to, especially when you're used to the auto-targeting that techs like zonde, grants and rafoie had in PSO, but it makes for a good change. So, technically speaking, if an enemy were to cast rafoie or zonde at you (or if you were to cast them on an enemy), the attacks can be avoided it you're able to move out of the way fast enough.

Oh, and about stopping an enemy from casting techs, yeah, it's possible. You can inflict silence on an enemy which will temporarily halt them from being able to cast; two known methods of doing this are by using a deega-family earth tech (they have a chance of inflicting silence) or by using a silence trap.

Nice. Looks like I won't need to have any animosity toward enemy mages after all. Plus, being a force might be fun...

PhotonCat
Aug 12, 2006, 02:57 PM
Well, since there is no PvP(yet..anyways) you shouldn't have a problem if there is "cheesy" spells (Because we all know how losers like to cry for "nerfs" when they lose to another class).

Personally, I like those cheesy spells because it's just fun to me.

Ryna
Aug 13, 2006, 10:22 AM
Like EspioKaos said, you have to target your Normal and Ra-level techniques. If you're used to PSO's system, it takes a little bit of time to adjust.

What can be rather annoying is if an enemy runs in front of the Foie fireball you intended for something else.

Zarbolord
Aug 13, 2006, 10:51 AM
I got use to that with Temple rooms, wanting to hit lilies and a la dimenian runs infront :[