PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Blasts

Axios-
Aug 12, 2006, 01:04 PM
I was just reading the bullet info again, and at the end of each description it says that attack power, etc. increases with level, but on the shotgun ones it says the number of bullets discharged increases with level. Does this mean that at higher levels, you can shoot more bullets out of a single blast than you can at the beginning? Oh, and how many bullets does a shotgun discharge per blast at the beginning? 4?

Reference: http://pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2456

Violation
Aug 12, 2006, 02:57 PM
Im guessing that by the description. I am not quite sure how many bullets there are at the start

Lyrise
Aug 12, 2006, 03:00 PM
3 to start. 4 if your BA is lv11+.

hypersaxon
Aug 13, 2006, 06:14 AM
Keep in mind that this is for PAs, not normal shots.

So the number of PA shots will increase, as well as the power. So to start you won't be able to hit as many enemies with a PA as you can a normal shot. But as you level up, you'll get more bullets per shot.

Alisha
Aug 13, 2006, 06:31 AM
it seems like almost nobody used shotguns in the beta.if it wasnt for the pics ryna put in her guide i wouldnt of known they existed,or would of saw them and thought they were cannons or something.

hypersaxon
Aug 13, 2006, 06:41 AM
Yeah, that's kind of odd, I thought Shotguns were suppose to be super awesome lol

Fleece
Aug 13, 2006, 08:07 AM
Theres one shown in someone's** video, he only used it for breaking boxes open. It was very slow.

** = I Typo'd

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fleece on 2006-08-13 06:08 ]</font>

Ryna
Aug 13, 2006, 09:33 AM
At the beginning, it shoots 3 bullets. If you associate a PA with the weapon and level it, the number of bullets will increase to 4 around level 11.

I found the Shot to only be useful for opening boxes. In combat, I found it to be too slow and weak to be useful. That may change in the final release of the game though.

Fleece
Aug 13, 2006, 09:42 AM
My guess is it'll be one of those "Crap untill you get pretty high with it." weapons.

tank1
Aug 13, 2006, 09:44 AM
Even if that is the case im not touching a shotgun with a bargepole unless its a Yaz7000.

Ryna
Aug 13, 2006, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't be so quick to condemn the weapon. My descriptions are based on the constraints imposed by the Closed Beta and the limited amount of time I used the Shot. I'll reserve final judgement until after I see it in action in the formal release of the game. It may end up being the only normal "group" weapon a Ranger can use.

Fleece
Aug 13, 2006, 10:37 AM
Well Tank if you DO have to level your shotgun to get it worth using then even if they do port the yaz 7k itll be useless to you as you shunned levelling your shotgun. Especially if you have to have a certain rank in the weapons to use Rares.

tank1
Aug 13, 2006, 10:45 AM
Yeah but the Yaz7000 was tehcnically a rifle which looked like a S.W.A.T shotgun so if i shunned the normal shotgun and levelled my rifle skill there will be no prob.

Zarbolord
Aug 13, 2006, 10:49 AM
I suppose they'll balance the problem for the final release, let's hope that, or my ranger will have to use dual handguns.

Fleece
Aug 13, 2006, 10:51 AM
On 2006-08-13 08:45, tank1 wrote:
Yeah but the Yaz7000 was tehcnically a rifle which looked like a S.W.A.T shotgun so if i shunned the normal shotgun and levelled my rifle skill there will be no prob.

You seem to be assuming that it'll be the same system.

It Isnt.

My guess is they'll most probably put the Yas 7k in the shotgun catagory. Time will Tell anyway, theres always time to level your shotgun/rifle later.

tank1
Aug 13, 2006, 10:54 AM
Im just assuming the Yaz7000 if it appears will continue to be a rifle but time will tell i guess.

Alisha
Aug 13, 2006, 12:29 PM
On 2006-08-13 07:44, tank1 wrote:
Even if that is the case im not touching a shotgun with a bargepole unless its a Yaz7000.

yas 7000 was technically a shot. it has the range of a shot not a rifle and had close range spread damage.

Axios-
Aug 13, 2006, 12:36 PM
So if the shotgun PA increases the number of shots based on level, would you say it could eventually get into the neighborhood of, say, 8 shots when at max? (I know there's no way of knowing this, just asking for hunches). Also, at a very close range, could multiple shots from one blast hit a single target?

Saner
Aug 13, 2006, 01:18 PM
at point blank range it might be possible.

not sure if each spread shot would accumulate damage if 2 or more hit the same enemy at once.

Saiffy
Aug 13, 2006, 01:28 PM
Shots were pretty useless early on in PSO.

Perhaps when there are quests with huge waves of enemies, they'll be better. Or maybe the speed will be increased in the final version, who knows.

I doubt ST will make an entire weapon class useless.

Alisha
Aug 13, 2006, 02:31 PM
i thought shots were useful. the problem is with games like this is players start to get greedy and everyone wants to do the most damage. how often do you see someone say:MAN the hucast in my group is totally owning because my shot firing keeps interupting dimmenians. or DUDE I JUST CURED SOMEONE FOR 2000 HP!!!!111

Saner
Aug 13, 2006, 03:15 PM
the purpose of shots is multiple targets hit at once.

they are not about the best damage.

but ya some people discussing rares and balancing sure are greedy to be the best. oh well their wagon.

hypersaxon
Aug 13, 2006, 06:09 PM
RAcasts were awesome with Shots. Since they have the highest ATP of the Ranger class in PSO, they could put much more hurt on the enemy with a Shot than a typical RAmar could.

I'm guessing it'll be the same for PSU, most other races won't find them as useful, but Casts would probably pwn with them since they have pinpoint accuracy and second highest ATP. Beasts might not do as well with them if their accuracy is bad, but the shots that do connect would do great damage.

Kyuu
Aug 13, 2006, 06:15 PM
Shots were uber in PSO. From what little I know, shots have been toned down, but they'll still be invaluable for handling large groups as a ranger, I imagine.

Ether
Aug 13, 2006, 06:20 PM
On 2006-08-13 11:28, Saiffy wrote:
Shots were pretty useless early on in PSO

Which makes it funny that people are complaining about them being useless early in PSU. Shots and Mechs didn't really become awesome until later levels when you could put a lot of ATP behind them to overcome their naturally low damage. Hopefully PSU will be the same

Phaze37
Aug 13, 2006, 11:15 PM
Shotguns look awesome, so I'm gonna use them even if they aren't great. From what I've seen in videos of the beta, there weren't many big groups of enemies, which is pretty much the only situation you'd ever want to use a shotgun. I am SO glad they look like actual shotguns now and not the fugly giant-crossbow looking wierdness from PSO. And like a few people have already said they'll probably be more useful later on, especially when you find some rare shotguns.

Saner
Aug 14, 2006, 02:34 AM
the shotguns also have shorter range than the rifles, don't they?

I think that further balances out their incredible spread attacks. oh ya and the farther the enemy, the worse the accuracy the shotgun blasts are, since the enemy might end up get inbetween the blasts.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-08-14 00:35 ]</font>

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 14, 2006, 03:13 AM
Yeah, from the one screenshot I saw of a shotgun being fired, it looked like something that would be commonly used in a 2D game. (Spread gun!) I hope to be fighting some enemies that use these.

AngelLight
Aug 14, 2006, 08:21 AM
You all seem to be missing the point of Shotguns....Shotguns are all about crowd control. You use them in combination with Ice Bullets (Freeze), Electric Bullets (Shock), or if it can do Paralysis. You dont always want forces to be on freeze duty all the time (with their limited armor)...and being able to hit 4 things at once with even a proc freeze attempt is always a good thing with the highly mobile nature of PS battles. Trust me, Shotguns are going to be the big party CC weapons (it will prolly be useless soloing unless you're clearing a room and you want to slow down monster movement towards you to just single file and or staggered mob attacks).

So I'm sure you'll see quite a demand for ice, lightning, and paralysis based shots....the others, prolly not so much.

Alisha
Aug 14, 2006, 08:34 AM
go use a shot on gal gryphon then come back and tell me shots were useless in pso.

AngelLight
Aug 14, 2006, 10:15 AM
Ok, but that is a special circumstance....that's not general use. In general use, you'll use the highest dmg output usually unless you're in need of something else (such as CC in parties, or the less advertised but still viable reason of making sure to hit everything in a room once to get some exp at least assuming that game mechanic remains in PSU or not)

hypersaxon
Aug 14, 2006, 03:36 PM
Technically, if you're using a Shotgun and doing damage to 4 enemies at once, you technically "will" be doing more damage than with a Rifle per say. The actual shots will be weaker, but multiply it by 4 and you'll see that Shotguns can be very good in those situations where there's lots of enemies, or bosses with multiple weak points.

For bosses that only have one place to hit them, a Rifle would probably be better though.