PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure about this question...Offline mode

Emrald
Aug 13, 2006, 06:43 PM
Is there anyway I can LIGITLY try offline mode for PSU? If not please deleat this topic >_><_<

hypersaxon
Aug 13, 2006, 06:46 PM
My only guess is if you had the Premiere Disk from Japan. You'd have to have a PS2 that can play imports though.

Emrald
Aug 13, 2006, 06:47 PM
so that's a no for the PC?

hypersaxon
Aug 13, 2006, 06:49 PM
The PC beta only lets you play online mode, if I'm not mistaken.

Emrald
Aug 13, 2006, 06:54 PM
Well I'll be damned....I'm guna go cry now....

IhateUrHate
Aug 13, 2006, 07:03 PM
is there going to be a PC beta in the US?

Emrald
Aug 13, 2006, 07:16 PM
Who knows....

Saner
Aug 13, 2006, 08:51 PM
lol the only way there would be a U.S. PC beta, is if they released it in September, which is illogical since the game is coming in October anyway.

please be patient, even a beta will not satisfy people, you'll still want the full version. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Because after all, anything you do in the beta will be pointless since anything you achieve will be deleted when the beta is over anyways in a week or two. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

as for a offline demo, sales have shown that games do not need a demo to be successful (see Halo 2),

playable demos rarely, if ever, change the result of a game's sales.
and most of the time some people just play the demo and never buy the full version. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

so why release a portion of the game almost for free, when they can simply advertise, release trailers, etc. etc. and anyone interested will get it if they want to?

with all the info, media etc. and stuff, there is enough info to have an idea how it plays and works. now all people have to decide is if it's right for them.

as for the waiting, please just wait. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif we really are not far from its release here compared to other games people are waiting for. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-08-13 18:52 ]</font>

Emrald
Aug 13, 2006, 09:26 PM
Ahhh Saner...always streight to the point ^_^

Kyuu
Aug 13, 2006, 10:15 PM
On 2006-08-13 18:51, Saner wrote:

Because after all, anything you do in the beta will be pointless since anything you achieve will be deleted when the beta is over anyways in a week or two. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gifOnly true if you don't have fun playing. In the end, anything you "accomplish" in a game is "pointless" because you'll stop playing it and move on to a different game, following your logic. Or perhaps you think life itself is worthless, since eventually you're going to die. Why bother accomplishing anything at all?

playable demos rarely, if ever, change the result of a game's sales.Your source? I myself have purchased more than one game after playing a demo of it.

so why release a portion of the game almost for free, when they can simply advertise, release trailers, etc. etc. and anyone interested will get it if they want to?Because these are videogames, not movies. The gameplay and interactivity are the entire reason for the medium to exist. Not to mention, the purpose of advertising is quite obviously not to influence those who are interested anyway, but to get the attention of those who haven't heard of it and/or aren't interested yet.

You say it doesn't make sense for Sega to release a beta or demo the month before its release in the US, despite the fact that that's exactly what they're doing in JP with the Premiere Disc.

I also find it odd that anyone would seriously argue that Sega of America needs to market its games less.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-08-13 20:18 ]</font>

Phaze37
Aug 14, 2006, 12:29 AM
please be patient, even a beta will not satisfy people, you'll still want the full version.

It would satisfy me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif It would be great to try out the game before it's released, we could try out the different classes before the full release and find out which one suits us best.

Because after all, anything you do in the beta will be pointless since anything you achieve will be deleted when the beta is over anyways in a week or two.

When I first played PSO for gamecube, I didn't know about the limit on materials, and because of that I used mind materials on my RAmar, who was my primary character. If I make any mistakes that permanently affect my character in PSU, I'd much rather make those newb mistakes on a beta character than on my primary character in the full version.

as for a offline demo, sales have shown that games do not need a demo to be successful (see Halo 2)

The popularity of the original Halo made Halo 2 a guaranteed success. PSO is not nearly as popular or as well known. Judging from the size of the playerbase in PSO: Blue Burst, PSU needs all the advertising it can get.

I also find it odd that anyone would seriously argue that Sega of America needs to market its games less.

lol

Saner
Aug 14, 2006, 02:03 AM
I didnt say they need to market less.

If it there is a U.S. demo then that's nice. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 14, 2006, 03:05 AM
On 2006-08-13 18:51, Saner wrote:
lol the only way there would be a U.S. PC beta, is if they released it in September, which is illogical since the game is coming in October anyway.

A beta or demo a month before a game's release is in no way illogical. It can more thoroughly whet our appetites for the game and show non-PSU-knowing people first-hand why they should (or should not) buy the game.

playable demos rarely, if ever, change the result of a game's sales.
and most of the time some people just play the demo and never buy the full version. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Even with Internet access, there are often games that I wind up not knowing about until some demo is released. On this generation, demos have notified me about and convinced me to buy the following:
Warhawk
Die Hard Trilogy
Robot Alchemic Drive (word of mouth would have made me want it anyway, but still...)
Lost Kingdoms II (actually made me want a Gamecube a year before Tales of Symphonia!)
Viewtiful Joe
I-Ninja (disappointed with the full game though)
Breakdown (my favorite XBox game)
Otogi (also showed me From Software's new direction from what they used to make. Good game, bad omen.)

Some demos were actually useless because they were for games I wanted anyway from being a fan. Well...to be honest, only Timesplitters 2 and Armored Core 3 Silent Line's demo fits in that category for me. But I can imagine many other people being the same way about many demos.

Playing the demo and not buying the full version applies to games that turn out to..well, suck. Or not be right for the player. Though sometimes it's just that they used the wrong part of the game to showcase the game. While many demos convince me that I should rent them, a larger handful of demos make me want to just flat-out avoid them. And that's including every Sega game demo that I've played this generation (not counting what From developed or co-developed).

so why release a portion of the game almost for free, when they can simply advertise, release trailers, etc. etc. and anyone interested will get it if they want to?

I'd imagine that a playable demo is cheaper to produce than buying ad space or maintaining sites. It's also more effective, IF that demo can spread around and reach lots of people.

with all the info, media etc. and stuff, there is enough info to have an idea how it plays and works. now all people have to decide is if it's right for them.

Actually playing the game can give a feeling of the core gameplay mechanics. This is THE most important thing, at least to me. The info, media, etc can show what there is beyond the demo, but they can't be felt the same way as a playable demo. After all, what good are all the Partner machinery, worlds, weapons and such worth if the gameplay itself turns out to SUCK? (I doubt it's actually gonna suck, but still...there may be some very unexpected element that trashes the game.)

Roken
Aug 14, 2006, 07:05 AM
The only way I'd see a beta illogical, is if it werent for advertisement purposes. A beta is suppose to mainly be a 'test run' to find any glitches, but while doing this giving players a feel for an upcoming game.

If they release one for the U.S. market within the next month however, it wont be illogical, because it wont be a beta. It will be a demo disk to try out the game for offline. The online mode may still be called a beta, just to try out if they release one in the U.S., but it will still more or less be known as some sort of demo game for the online mode. So, in any case, it is a smart move, to get PSU more known out there, epsecially in Sega's predicament.

EnixBelmont
Aug 14, 2006, 07:08 AM
There is a way to play the offline right now, albeit illegal. The torrent of the PS2 disc is floating around somewhere on the internet(don't dare ask me where) and it has offline. And it does exist, BTW.

Roken
Aug 14, 2006, 07:15 AM

::dares::

Where can I find it ? (j/k)