PDA

View Full Version : Character Creation and Proportions (f '-')f

Tokoue
Aug 13, 2006, 09:35 PM
Hi, I'm Tokoue and I'm new to the forums, I used to play Phantasy Star Online for the Gamecube as Kilik (Just liked the name, not obsessed with Soul Calibur) and eventually Kenichi, and I've been REALLY interested with Phantasy Star Universe for, I guess years now! lol but, as good as the gameplay looks, I'm drooling over the character creation, and excited to make my character really unique! Well, I just have a few questions, if that's okay, sorry if this isn't important enough of a request to make a topic out of >< but... are those badge things onthe character completely gone, or are you able to pick, or no? I've seen some things like it, but I'm still not sure. I'm planning on making my first character a kid, so I was wondering also how short/tall your character could be made with the proportions option, erm if anyone had some pictures or comparisons between characters and their sizes in the Jp beta? that would be great! any info onthe character creation =) would also be much appreciated

thanks~

Emrald
Aug 13, 2006, 09:38 PM
First things first...Lots of topics of thise are around...you can also find more info on the main site...there are tons of stuff on youtube

and as a pso obsessed (because I have no life) i am offcialy offended that you called them "Badge Thingys" when their proper names are Section ID's!

Hi my name is Coolcat33333 and I'm wierd

and no there will be no Section ID's

Tokoue
Aug 13, 2006, 09:41 PM
i am also quite weird, and i will tell you my friend, its been a while and badge thingys is perfectly acceptable >=(

Emrald
Aug 13, 2006, 09:44 PM
NOT FOR PSO OBSESSED! SECTION IDS! >><< I would be like "I can recite all the techniques in pso" at school and peeps would be like "Huh? What's that?"

Kyuu
Aug 13, 2006, 10:24 PM
There are seperate controls for height and for proportions now, but otherwise it's pretty similar to how PSO's worked. This also includes the fact that there won't be that much variation, because only a small portion of the box gives good-looking proportions, and, with few exceptions, most people aren't looking to make an unattractive character.

Section IDs are no longer present.

RoninJoku
Aug 13, 2006, 10:25 PM
Your character can get pretty short! Perfect size for any kind of kid that would even semi-realisticly be out in battle at least... Also notable that there are no size restrictions based on your race/gender... All characters have the same proportion options. Aaaand now the proportions for your body size are separate from that of your face, so you can make your character tall with a childish face or short with a manly face or however the hell you want it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif As for pictures, there are propably plenty of pics around if you give it a bit of a search

Phaze37
Aug 13, 2006, 10:52 PM
I'm curious, can you still make characters who have completely unrealistic proportions like in PSO?

Kyuu
Aug 13, 2006, 11:15 PM
Exactly what "unrealistic proportions" are you talking about?

And yeah, I forgot about the seperate facial proportions thing, which is nice.

AvianKaitos
Aug 14, 2006, 12:06 AM
He’s obviously talking about super skinny HUmars and how their knees don’t look right… http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

-Shimarisu-
Aug 14, 2006, 12:58 AM
What's that thing in the title supposed to be?

Kyuu
Aug 14, 2006, 01:38 AM
A Kirby with claws? o_0

I guess I never looked too closely at skinny HUmars' knees.

-Shimarisu-
Aug 14, 2006, 03:51 AM
I have a skinny humar in PSU.

The legs look bad. But the tradeoff to having good legs is having more muscle definition.

I don't like muscle definition, so I gave him baggy pants. That's good compensation for the nasty, skinny legs.

-Shimarisu-
Aug 14, 2006, 04:00 AM
On 2006-08-13 20:24, Kyuu wrote:
This also includes the fact that there won't be that much variation, because only a small portion of the box gives good-looking proportions, and, with few exceptions, most people aren't looking to make an unattractive character.

This is wrong because you can now morph the face into the style of your choosing. I don't know about ugly faces, you think everyone has the same tastes? IMO most of the scale gives an acceptable face. Apart from the really huge eyes, but let's face it, some people like ridiculously huge eyes.

I've seen short, tall, fat, thin, dwarflike, giant-esque, dark skinned, light skinned, mean looking, cute looking characters on the PS2 demo.

I haven't seen anyone who looks alike.

You can also add your own accessories now, anyone can wear glasses, for example.

I think some PSO characters look absolutely horrible (that ugly HUne face for example, the smiley one with green eyes that EVERYONE goes for just because she's smiling.) But people still go for them.

Everyone is different and PSU caters a lot more to personal tastes than PSO did.

hypersaxon
Aug 14, 2006, 04:39 AM
I messed around with the hacked beta, and let me tell you, you have nothing to worry about as far as proportions go. You can make a kid-looking character very easily, they can get pretty small from what I've experimented with, or very tall if you prefer. The skinny-fat tool works pretty neat as well, I like it a lot better than the old method in PSO.

Roken
Aug 14, 2006, 05:27 AM
At least theres a less likely chance to run into a twin in the game, unlike many other MMO's currently out there with very limited customization.

Zeig123
Aug 14, 2006, 05:39 AM
On 2006-08-14 03:27, Roken wrote:
At least theres a less likely chance to run into a twin in the game, unlike many other MMO's currently out there with very limited customization.

Yes I agree....its about time we can make a completely unique character so that people know who you are instead of having these wannabes with the same name and everything.

hypersaxon
Aug 14, 2006, 06:08 AM
Yeah, that's one thing that ticked me off about FFXI, over half of the population looked just like me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Roken
Aug 14, 2006, 06:11 AM
same here, I thought that since it was an FF game, not only would the characters and desgins themselves look detailed and not slopped together, but also that there would be a great amount of customization and even deeper gameplay... that and PSU for me were the main two MMO's I were going to be playing, but I quit FFXI. all my faith is in PSU now.

EtherForce
Aug 14, 2006, 09:18 AM
Bam! Here's a baller and a short baller. Also note you can change the color of your character's underwear, maybe that ell replace the section id, heh heh. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/EtherForce/ShortnTallBallers.jpg

Emrald
Aug 14, 2006, 09:38 AM
Can you be like tall and fat? that would be funny!

Fat tall hunter:Okay! I gata do this jump spinny thing with my saber WOAH SHIT I FELL! SHIT I'M ROLLING DOWN THE HILL!

EtherForce
Aug 14, 2006, 09:42 AM
lol yeah. Imo the character editor in PSU is the best I've seen cause you can get pretty detailed and it doesn't have all that extra crap like in other games.

Saner
Aug 14, 2006, 09:45 AM
ya the art style is beautiful too! people say it looks anime this anime that but anime is divided into many different styles too. some better than others.

But ya PSU's character design art style is really really great. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Tokoue
Aug 14, 2006, 09:52 AM
okay, thank you everyone for the info, and lol NICE PIC xD and it is indeed kirby with claws in the title. sorry if this topic wasnt really needed, but the characters kinda pissed me off in PSO sometimes, like there was so many options in the char. creation but for each race everyone chose the best one, i hated my character most because even though he looked cool every other fomar in the serrver would always have that spikey hair >< so i just said skrew it near the time I was going to quit and made a 400 lb. 6'4 ft. dark skin woman with a blonde afro and named her sunshine and ran around screaming things like a crazy person. but thats NOT IMPORTANT! ty everyone for the info on the character creation ehm... i have a couple more questions xD sorry~
the vehicles all look really cool, even though i havent seen any from the beta, I've seen them on the offline mode but apparently they will be online (right?) is there any information about how that will work? if theyll be bought from an npc or quested or something like that? or how you can customize them?
also, is there any nanoblast designs that dont look like these two(besides a different color? thanks~

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c357/Tarukun/nanoblast.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tokoue on 2006-08-14 07:55 ]</font>

Saner
Aug 14, 2006, 10:10 AM
the vehicles can be used online in some missions.

I don't think there are other Beast forms aside from color differences. they are beasts afterall, not morphers or changelings (those can turn into different species).

PandaMasterX4
Aug 14, 2006, 10:17 AM
ZOMG, i just realized that beast females are extremly hairy down south

EtherForce
Aug 14, 2006, 10:45 AM
I think they're extremely hairy in all directions, heh heh.

radical_ryan
Aug 14, 2006, 11:59 AM
must have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

f

zandra117
Aug 15, 2006, 02:40 AM
Actually there are 34 dungeons in PSODC if you count all the different variations for each area, not counting quest variations or the ultimate mode maps.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2006-08-15 00:42 ]</font>

AzureBlaze
Aug 16, 2006, 12:41 AM
As of the beta you couldn't get really wide guys.
If you wanted super-hero type people you're out of luck unless they changed something. Pretty much all you can do now is tall or fat. Or tall AND fat. PSO you could do more with 'outlandish proportions' on say HUcast RAcast and HUmar. (RAmar tended toward lanky, but the wierd costume could provid bulk)

You also can't get super skinny people any more. I mean, no Reiz types around here. I think what they did was lean toward "normal" and then for some reason go a bit too far with it. What if you WANTED to look like Reiz or Rufina? Or what about all those SSJ Gokus? No one'll miss their name, but it's the build you can't get.

As for the vehicles I think it was stated that online you take up various 'positions' on it, like someone drives and others gun out the sides. Much like a real tank, this could be quite the thrill!

Niki
Aug 16, 2006, 12:53 AM
On 2006-08-14 03:27, Roken wrote:

*cough*RFOnline*cough*

Seriously, though. Analogue input = millions of unique configurations = pretty tight.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Niki on 2006-08-15 22:55 ]</font>