PDA

View Full Version : Will shops sell ALL types of weapons and colors from lv.1 to

Saner
Aug 14, 2006, 07:57 PM
ya hopefully the shop selection is complete in the sense that you can use any weapon and even "career" with a specific type if you feel like only using that type throughout your levels and stuff like that. the point is absolute freedom to use any weapon style you want no matter what your level is, and the shop would adjust it's selection based on your current levels and stuff like that, but all types would always be available.

The other thing is the colors. I think shops sell the same weapons with different colors but I heard synthesizing can provide different colors too. but we've seen ppl lower than lv. 10 use blue weapons, so maybe shops have a greater variety and stuff. but of course the beta versions haven't shown us the full story of weapon selection for the shops and stuff, so maybe the final version willalready be expanded in selection and provide all types from the start.

maybe the different companies that make variations of weapons are stationed on each location. like if you want that Moatoob manufacturer weapons, then you have to travel to Moatoob to shop there, and maybe Guardians Colony has some of all 3 company brands.

Personally I think a cool way weapon shop selection should be like should be based on your level.

like if you are Level 1 Hunter, then the shop list would have:
Lv.1 Axe
Lv.1 Claw
Lv.1 Dagger
Lv.1 DoubleSaber
Lv.1 Knuckles
Lv.1 Saber
Lv.1 Spear
Lv.1 Sword
Lv.1 Twin Claws
Lv.1 Twin Daggers
Lv.1 Twin Sabers
Lv.1 Handgun

and any extra space for more weapons to purchase would have variations of those weapons in different colors and stuff. the rest of the colors you probably have to synthesize yourself or find a shop that sells those element types.

so what do you think? hmmm well maybe if we had a better idea what the beta version's shop selection is like, we can understand how the selection is organized.

of course, for example, the closed PC beta didn't have Twin Sabers until Sonic Team included them later during the beta. But I think there's a 99% chance twin sabers will be available from the start in the full version. the unavailability of some weapons in the beta (like Moatoob itself) is a natural thing since of course they don't wanna reveal everything.

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2372

but ya hopefully the shop system is generous and provides players with the freedom to use what they want, and adjusts accordingly to our levels so their equipment is not outdated. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-08-14 17:58 ]</font>

beatrixkiddo
Aug 14, 2006, 08:06 PM
No.

Saner
Aug 14, 2006, 08:07 PM
how come? you must have some reasons to back up your opinion.

beatrixkiddo
Aug 14, 2006, 08:15 PM
Nope.

Nisshoku
Aug 14, 2006, 08:16 PM
It sounds too much like .hack. I like it as it is.

Emrald
Aug 14, 2006, 08:17 PM
I hope that's how it is...cause cause I like double sabers...

Saner
Aug 14, 2006, 08:18 PM
On 2006-08-14 18:15, beatrixkiddo wrote:
Nope.

well that wasn't an educated response. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif You must of played the beta, what was the shop selection like?

Saner
Aug 14, 2006, 08:23 PM
On 2006-08-14 18:16, Nisshoku wrote:
It sounds too much like .hack. I like it as it is.

never played .hack

what do you mean 'as it is'? you really want some weapon class/types to be harder to find than others? that would be pretty restricted.

This is not a rares topic, just about the overall availability of each category of weapon. besides it would be good this way because we can't use weapons above our level anyways so organizing the shop like that would provide less of a hassle than if they omitted some types for advanced types you can't even use yet.

and it's fun using the weapons you like than having to simply use the strongest available.

Kyunji
Aug 14, 2006, 08:33 PM
What's the point? If this works out anything like PSO, chances are that you'll just be using weapons found in combat or systhesized weapons anyways, given that they are often stronger (in terms of raw attack/mental strength power) than store-bought weapons. Besides, I rather liked PSO's system... it added a little more unpredictability to the game.

Also, to all the people who are blindly proclaiming their love and eternal usage of double/twin sabers in the months before the game's release... They're just another weapon type now, no more or less common than any other. Using them no longer makes you cool or, as I once said, "... allows you to instantly walk into any game and earn respect." I've seen various people doing this, and I'd just like to point it out.

Saner
Aug 14, 2006, 08:37 PM
Also, to all the people who are blindly proclaiming their love and eternal usage of double/twin sabers in the months before the game's release... They're just another weapon type now, no more or less common than any other. Using them no longer makes you cool or, as I once said, "... allows you to instantly walk into any game and earn respect." I've seen various people doing this, and I'd just like to point it out.

I'm not a twin sabers fan, but you seem to fail to understand why they love twin sabers, just like how any fan of any other weapon type would love to use those weapons exclusively.

It's not about rarity, it's about STYLE.

It's not about respect, it's about CHOICE in what they wanna use.

Until you understand this, you are unfairly looking down on those who are NOT even interested in "showing off".

Emrald
Aug 14, 2006, 08:39 PM
Double sabers are awsome STAGG CUTTERLY FOR LIFE...and numa numa...

Fleece
Aug 14, 2006, 08:40 PM
Wahay Axe's

*Choppity Choppity The Croppity Croppities*

Kyunji
Aug 14, 2006, 08:43 PM
On 2006-08-14 18:37, Saner wrote:

I'm not a twin sabers fan, but you seem to fail to understand why they love twin sabers, just like how any fan of any other weapon type would love to use those weapons exclusively.

It's not about rarity, it's about STYLE.

It's not about respect, it's about CHOICE in what they wanna use.

Until you understand this, you are unfairly looking down on those who are NOT even interested in "showing off".

The thing is that some people are determined to use a certain type because they "like" it more than others. I think that's it's a bad idea to choose your weapon type based off of appearance. If you were proficient in a certain weapon type, it might be a good idea to use it more often, certainly, but it would probably be best to switch weapons often depending on the situation. For example, earlier in this thread, someone said that they hoped your weapon setup for shops would be used because they "like double sabers." To me, this sounds like attatchment to a weapon solely because of its appearance.

EDIT:

On 2006-08-14 18:39, coolcat33333 wrote:
Double sabers are awsome STAGG CUTTERLY FOR LIFE...and numa numa...

On 2006-08-14 18:43, coolcat33333 wrote:
Screw axes! Double sabers rule...anyways....oh yeah and mech guns....oh and also wands...cause they raise mst ^_^

I mean, does this not just scream "I LUV DUBBLE SABER BCUZ THEY LOOK SO COOL" to anyone else?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyunji on 2006-08-14 18:45 ]</font>

Emrald
Aug 14, 2006, 08:43 PM
Screw axes! Double sabers rule...anyways....oh yeah and mech guns....oh and also wands...cause they raise mst ^_^

Fleece
Aug 14, 2006, 08:46 PM
On 2006-08-14 18:43, coolcat33333 wrote:

DO IT!!!!! Go screw an Axe I'll film it and put it on youtube. You might just be out of hospital in time for PSU!!! w00p w00p

Zinsian
Aug 14, 2006, 08:57 PM
Whats the point of weapons??!!!?!!111!! Be a man (or woman) an use your barehands!
MUAHAAA!!!
nah just playin.
Errm...

Yea i'd hope for that. Cause i'd want dual sabers. Either that or a lone handgun. I just hope my character has a good pose when im firing a single gun. OH YEAH JAMES BOND STYLE!
J Bond= Ownage! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zinsian on 2006-08-14 18:58 ]</font>

Saner
Aug 14, 2006, 08:59 PM
The thing is that some people are determined to use a certain type because they "like" it more than others.

is it a crime to love vanilla more than any other ice cream flavor?

Playing how you want is the whole point of race/class/weapon selection.

People who buy this game and play it more than others do so because they "like" it more than others.

What fun is there in using something you don't like, just for the sake of maximizing your output? only powergamers and ambitious players like that would find interest in such a one track decision.
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/burger.gif

I think that's it's a bad idea to choose your weapon type based off of appearance. If you were proficient in a certain weapon type, it might be a good idea to use it more often, certainly, but it would probably be best to switch weapons often depending on the situation.

well naturally they'll use handguns if they want to hit a flying dragon. or use a different color of their favorite weapon to do more damage on enemies of certain elements and stuff.

but choice should always be there when it comes to what they feel like using.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/frenchfries.gif

For example, earlier in this thread, someone said that they hoped your weapon setup for shops would be used because they "like double sabers." To me, this sounds like attatchment to a weapon solely because of its appearance.

not just appearance. It's also about the way it's used and stuff. Not everyone plays for the best power, the best advantages, the best everything.
Everyone has their likes and dislikes and preferences to the types of weapons they wanna use.

It's not just appearance, it's also about style.

Take for example the races, first and foremost, most people choose a race based on their appearance above their stats and abilities. and that's okay.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_ketchup.gif

these games have the flexibility and freedom to be anyone you want and go all the way with it.
otherwise everyone might as well be Ranger and shoot everything to kingdom come with the best guns and best range, (which naturally not everyone will find fun at all.) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Zeig123
Aug 14, 2006, 09:04 PM
Yes I agree with saner....you should be able to use any type if weapon you want regardless of if it is effective or not because alot of people like to use weapons because of there looks. I will be using a double saber on my HUnewm because I like hoe they look plus I think they will kick ass!!!!!!!

Zinsian
Aug 14, 2006, 09:05 PM
On 2006-08-14 19:04, Zeig123 wrote:
Yes I agree with saner....you should be able to use any type if weapon you want regardless of if it is effective or not because alot of people like to use weapons because of there looks. I will be using a double saber on my HUnewm because I like how they look plus I think they will kick ass!!!!!!!

Lol...i edited your post to sound less offensive.

Saner
Aug 14, 2006, 09:06 PM
I mean, does this not just scream "I LUV DUBBLE SABER BCUZ THEY LOOK SO COOL" to anyone else?

making those dumbed down quotes doesn't make you more intelligent than coolcat.

I assure you coolcat doesn't love them just because they 'look cool'.

Doublesabers have their own style that some people just so happen to enjoy more than others.

but it's the same for rares, people who want PSO rares to return love them not just for power but also for appearance and style.

The way they are used is also a part of what makes the weapon a favorite to those people. so it isn't just about appearance.

Zeig123
Aug 14, 2006, 09:11 PM
On 2006-08-14 19:05, Zinsian wrote:

On 2006-08-14 19:04, Zeig123 wrote:
Yes I agree with saner....you should be able to use any type if weapon you want regardless of if it is effective or not because alot of people like to use weapons because of there looks. I will be using a double saber on my HUnewm because I like how they look plus I think they will kick ass!!!!!!!

Lol...i edited your post to sound less offensive.

kk but it didnt change all that much

EtherForce
Aug 14, 2006, 09:24 PM
Hmm, I'd think the shop would offer random weapons based on what class you are, and have the power of the weapon pretty much in tune with your level.

Btw I like double sabers, twin sabers, swords and hand to hand weapons and also that bow and arrow looks snazzy, but it seems like it's only for FO's? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I've never been a fan of guns, heh heh.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EtherForce on 2006-08-14 19:25 ]</font>

Zinsian
Aug 14, 2006, 09:32 PM
access to different styles of guns would be awesome. WHY?? cause im making a arnold swarchenegger based style character with huge muscles, tall stance, pitch black clothes, and sunglasses. might take me a while to get the face right. hair should be no problem.
I can see it now!!
Arnold pulls out handgun
Arnold: 9mm!!! AHH!!!
Arnold pulls out rifle
Arnold: SNIPER RIFLE!! AHHHH!!!!
Arnold pulls out Rocket Launcher
Arnold: ARNOLD THE SECOND! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_ak.gif

Arnold pulls out Hello Kitty Force Cane
Arnold: ARNOLD THE......wait...how'd this get in here. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Kyunji
Aug 14, 2006, 09:36 PM
On 2006-08-14 19:06, Saner wrote:

making those dumbed down quotes doesn't make you more intelligent than coolcat.

I assure you coolcat doesn't love them just because they 'look cool'.

Doublesabers have their own style that some people just so happen to enjoy more than others.

but it's the same for rares, people who want PSO rares to return love them not just for power but also for appearance and style.

The way they are used is also a part of what makes the weapon a favorite to those people. so it isn't just about appearance.

First of all... Dumbed down? They're direct quotes. Look on the first page of the topic.

Second, give me some evidence that coolcat likes double sabers for some reason other than appearance. Also, I can't see how you can love the double sabers' style without having ever played the game - something I know for a fact neither you or coolcat has done.

Personally, I think it's a bad idea to decide what you like based solely on appearance. That's my opinion, however, and not everyone shares the same view as me. I can understand that. Style I can also understand; some people will enjoy certain weapons more than other and may be better at using them.

I'm getting to tired to argue properly, so I'm just going to give this up for now.

AvianKaitos
Aug 14, 2006, 10:51 PM
On 2006-08-14 18:57, Zinsian wrote:
Whats the point of weapons??!!!?!!111!! Be a man (or woman) an use your barehands!

You can un-equip weapons and use your bare hands like in PSO!? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

*adds to challenge list*

1. FOcast
2. Fight with bare hands

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AvianKaitos on 2006-08-14 20:55 ]</font>

Parn
Aug 14, 2006, 11:00 PM
No, you cannot fight with your bare hands.

AvianKaitos
Aug 14, 2006, 11:44 PM
*amends challenge list*

1. Play as FOcast
2. :cry:

Velocity_7
Aug 15, 2006, 12:03 AM
At least from my experience there was a variety of weapons available but what weapon types (and from which companies) depended on where you were. Last I checked though they sold all weapons from the lowest rank to whatever was maximum for the beta. And remember that you do need to level up your Job Level if you expect to use high-ranked weapons.

And although it's been said before, there's also a wide range of rare weapons that will never be sold in public shops; probably player shops (but at probably insanely high prices). Also remember rare weapons also have high rank requirements.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Velocity_7 on 2006-08-14 22:04 ]</font>

Saner
Aug 15, 2006, 01:41 AM
Second, give me some evidence that coolcat likes double sabers for some reason other than appearance. Also, I can't see how you can love the double sabers' style without having ever played the game - something I know for a fact neither you or coolcat has done.

we've already seen from the videos, the basic combos doublesabers can do, as well as one of the PAs.

Personally, I think it's a bad idea to decide what you like based solely on appearance. That's my opinion, however, and not everyone shares the same view as me. I can understand that. Style I can also understand; some people will enjoy certain weapons more than other and may be better at using them.

you think its a bad idea but without any clear reasons. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

and what if coolcat simply loves doublesabers for how they look and that's all? so what? if coolcast loves using doublesabers, for whatever reason, then any person should be allowed to use those weapon types any time they want.

I'm saying this because it was sad in PSO finding weapon categories you virtually never find in the first 100 hours of gameplay. these limitations reduce player's selection of weapons they can choose from. most of the time Hunters were stuck with sabers, handguns, swords and barely much else. what about the claw weapons? the slicers?

besides, like clothes, offering all weapon categories all the time lets players be more unique instead of over half the party using sabers, swords daggers, and handguns.

making weapon types random and shut away would ruin the whole point of having weapon class ranks for every single type of weapon.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_salad.gif

Like how can you skill up your Axe weapon rank if the stores don't have any until you are lv.50 or higher or need some stroke of luck to find one or depend on others to get one for you? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif
Not everyone will always have the fortune of ppl or circumstances to find the category of weapon they really prefer using.

so that's another reason why full selection of all categories is better and fun than depending on chance or others to simply use whatever weapon you feel like using.

PSO was one big mess of finding the weapons you wante to use sometimes. plus some categories (like Slicers), were sooooo small in selection and variety that it would've been better if every type of weapon had variations ranging from lv.1-200.

PSU would do better to be generous in weapon type availability. all the weapons are pretty balanced anyways, some stronger and slower, others faster and lighter, etc. etc.

Stepper
Aug 15, 2006, 01:48 AM
I seriously doubt that the people declaring double sabers as their weapon of choice (without even using them yet) have given much thought to anything other than appearances at this point. Let's face it- no matter how much you argue that it's about the player's style rather than the weapon's appearance, a double saber looks way more appealing than a regular saber does.

Now, while I'm sure that there's a few people that didn't decide to use double sabers simply because 'they look cool,' you have to realize that some people are just shallow and did choose them for that reason.

Kyuu
Aug 15, 2006, 01:59 AM
No one should use the weapon class that appeals to them the most. People should use the weapon class they find the least appealing, because that only makes sense.

Anyway, in regards to the original topic of this thread, I hope that shops don't sell all types of weapons. Part of the fun of a game like PSU is finding loot while you play. While it'd still be nice to find a weapon before you can afford and/or use it and get it for free, it's not the same. I find it odd that so many people seem to be opposed to the treasure-hunting aspect of the game, and want everything to be purchasable in a store and/or made from Item Synthesis. Treasure-hunting is one of the things I enjoy in RPGs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-08-15 00:00 ]</font>

Saner
Aug 15, 2006, 02:00 AM
I'm sure no one will create a character they don't personally think looks cool to themselves. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Maybe Kyunji doesn't want people to have fun with what weapons they feel like using instead of weapons forced upon them due to limited selection or 'necessity'.

I wouldn't care if a Sword does more damage than Double Claws, I would still choose Double Claws if I could. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Saner
Aug 15, 2006, 02:17 AM
I hope that shops don't sell all types of weapons. Part of the fun of a game like PSU is finding loot while you play.

At the expense of types of weapons you would rather use at the time?

You might be a jack of all trades but someone else would naturally want to use a specific category of weapon. some people need that option to further expand what kind of character they are and what style of weapon they feel like using.

While it'd still be nice to find a weapon before you can afford and/or use it and get it for free, it's not the same. I find it odd that so many people seem to be opposed to the treasure-hunting aspect of the game, and want everything to be purchasable in a store and/or made from Item Synthesis. Treasure-hunting is one of the things I enjoy in RPGs.

I didn't mean 'everything', I just mean all of the CATEGORIES of weapons available at the shops. This is not counting rares, or every single variation each type has in the whole game.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/hotdog.gif

I mean the overall selection of weapon categories, they should all be available at the shops at the start. This way there is more choices, more customization and more types of Hunters, Rangers and Forces. the variety of weapons, just like clothes, races, etc. help expand the possibilities and choices and freedom even further.

but it's not about standing out, it's really about the variety and freedom to CHOOSE THE STYLE of fighting you wanna use, and that makes things more colorful and exciting.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/pizza.gif

Treasure hunting will always be there, there will always be stuff to find. but some of us REALLLLY REALLLYY REALLY don't wanna spend 20-100+ hours before we find a knuckle, or a axe or twin sabers or twin claws or twin daggers or doublesabers, etc. etc. etc. For one of my characters, in some 70 hours of gameplay in PSO, I never found a single doublesaber. What fun is something if you can't EVEN find/obtain it to USE it.

the real fun is not finding it, it's using it if you want to use it.

Stepper
Aug 15, 2006, 02:40 AM
On 2006-08-14 23:59, Kyuu wrote:
No one should use the weapon class that appeals to them the most. People should use the weapon class they find the least appealing, because that only makes sense.

Heh... you're quite good at using someone's own words to make them sound like they were spouting complete nonsense.

However, I wasn't saying that people shouldn't use a weapon class because they like it; I just think the whole concept of deciding on what weapon class you're going to use based on its looks rather than actual experience doesn't make much sense.

As for this thread's original topic, I think it would be nice if each weapon type was available in stores, but there should definitely be some kind of restriction on the availability of the 'better' weapons. It's always more rewarding to get something if you worked for it.

Saner
Aug 15, 2006, 03:26 AM
well ya. if at least the basic levels for all categories of weapons and classes are available at the shop, the advanced versions of those weapons will naturally be obtained through treasure hunting and synthesizing too.

Kyunji
Aug 15, 2006, 07:15 AM
For the record, I don't believe I ever said people shouldn't use weapons they don't like or don't want to use if they don't want to. If it makes your game experience better, good for you, then. My style of play may be different from others', but I have plenty of fun with it.

Also, I don't believe having all weapon classes availible at the start of the game is a good idea, both for some of the reasons mentioned above, plus another thing: Where's the fun if you just have instant gratification? I believe that there is a phrase along the lines of, "The anticipation of something is better than actually having it." The feeling of satisfaction derived from building up from just, say, a saber, to more and more complicated weapons, such as handguns and other weapon types, as is standard in PSO, is much better than that derived from just buying everything you want as soon as you have the money.

EtherForce
Aug 15, 2006, 07:20 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't be a good idea to choose a weapon based on it's looks, the way I understand it you can level up your skill with the different types of weapons, so they should be pretty much balanced in that sense.

Zarbolord
Aug 15, 2006, 07:23 AM
I think that they should sell only the basic stuff, like sabers and all. What is the point of buying the old crap stuff you've seen ages before the shops sell it like in pso? Anyway, if they sell the stuff we don't start with then it's good. I'd be pleased with only photon art/tech disks and materials to synthesise (and of course the regeneration equipment like mates and PP restores).

Tycho
Aug 15, 2006, 07:56 AM
I would kind of prefer if people would be forced to synthesize things. It's more fun.

Parn
Aug 15, 2006, 08:03 AM
I imagine some of the best stuff in the game will be synthesized instead of found. Certain partner machine stat combinations and some low chance of success with some rare recipe. All sorts of wacky and ridiculous requirements.

Saner
Aug 15, 2006, 08:28 AM
ya but it's not like you have to synthesize to make a weapon category exist, like Twin Sabers or an Axe right? otherwise what's the point of ALL of the weapon categories and ranks listed in that weapon menu thing where you can check your ranks with each weapon?

sure synthesizing will be for improving a Twin Sabers to a +3 or a Doublesaber to a +2. but not to simply access those categories of weapons. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Saner
Aug 15, 2006, 08:54 AM
On 2006-08-15 05:56, Tycho wrote:
I would kind of prefer if people would be forced to synthesize things. It's more fun.

okay everyone look at it this way, all weapon categories available in the shops based on your class and level.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_salad.gif

So Hunters if they are lv.1 can buy any lv.1 weapon of any category their Class can use.
if they are lv. 40 they can buy any lv.40 weapon of any category their Class can use. etc.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/cone.gif

HOWEVER if they wanna improve/strengthen it or change its color, they have to synthesize/grind it. and of course rares and pre-grinded weapons won't be sold at shops, they must be found.

fair enough? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/sprite.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-08-15 06:55 ]</font>

Emrald
Aug 15, 2006, 09:11 AM
RAWR THAT IS NOT

you forgot the suicide clause XP

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 15, 2006, 10:31 AM
I would like it if it was the way Saner said it, Twin Swords and Fists are super awesome.

DoctorShasta
Aug 15, 2006, 10:43 AM
Yea but I think those things are better left to be rares because then everyone will just get those and then they won't be that special anymore cuz u can just buy them in a shop.

Saner
Aug 15, 2006, 11:24 AM
On 2006-08-15 08:43, DoctorShasta wrote:
Yea but I think those things are better left to be rares because then everyone will just get those and then they won't be that special anymore cuz u can just buy them in a shop.

they are still special.

they don't need to be rares to be special and cool!!!!!!!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_ketchup.gif

I think you might be a tad insecure about 'everyone' having the category of weapon they feel like using freely.

this isn't a showing off contest!!! that is just in your mind. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

there will be rare variations of each type, but that doesn't mean they have to completely close off a certain type completely as rares or harder to find weapon types, that would just plain suck tremendously.

Imagine if Knuckles (or any weapon type) were only rares, that would be plain stupid and limited.

you care about 'special' sauce but if it went your way then most people would be stuck using sabers, handguns and swords for a while, then it would be PSO all over again and wouldn't be so fun having such restrictions. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/ducky.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-08-15 09:25 ]</font>

MilkRocker
Aug 15, 2006, 01:19 PM
Restriction leads to longing, longing leads to playing. Having everything to use right from the start will be very confusing to a lot of players new to the series and maybe even anyone at all. "Well, what do I use?" Meseta has been said to be more scarce, so buying everything just to try it out seems rather foolish.

Better that weapons ease in. Start off with your basic sort and as you progress more advanced weapons become available to buy.

Also, aren't weapons restricted by your class level?

Parn
Aug 15, 2006, 01:24 PM
Pretty much. I could not use the best daggers that were in the PC beta due to being rank C with that weapon class on my human hunter. They required at least rank B to wield them.

DoctorShasta
Aug 15, 2006, 02:21 PM
I liked the way PSO had it people used rifles, daggers, slicers, shots, sabers, handguns, mechguns, canes, rods, and the list goes on and on but stuff like double sabers or knuckles were trully hard to find (relatively speaking) so that when you saw someone using it you were like "oh sweet!" I just want to have certain weapon types that when you see someone using it you would think its really cool and that persons character would be more original

Saner
Aug 15, 2006, 05:16 PM
oh right. originality. blah http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif in the meantime, the first 20 hours everyone's using sabers and swords, what fun is that if you can't be 'original' from the very start? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

full access to all the types leads to more possible party types from the get go. it's not confusing at all deciding what to pick, it's just based on your preferences in weapon style.

hmmm but Parn what do you mean by "best daggers"? Twin Daggers?

mechatra
Aug 15, 2006, 05:24 PM
He means better rank daggers.

Weapons rarity and overall performance still goes up by rank. Like Saber - Brand - Buster ect. but photon colour no longer dictates the weapons rank.

Obviously higher rank weapons need higher weapon skill rank.

Saner
Aug 15, 2006, 05:29 PM
oh okaY!!! see!?!?!? it's all balanced! the weapon ranking system keeps players from using the stronger versions right away!

They could offer all Rank C weapon classes/categories/types from every single weapon at the very start! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

darn it. I can't find those screenshots where the player menu shows ALL of the weapon symbols with rank letters next to them on the lower left part of the menu screen interface. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Stepper
Aug 15, 2006, 07:35 PM
On 2006-08-15 15:16, Saner wrote:
oh right. originality. blah http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif in the meantime, the first 20 hours everyone's using sabers and swords, what fun is that if you can't be 'original' from the very start? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif If everyone was 'original' from the very start, then no one would be. What fun is that? I'd be much more satisfied if I earned the right to use a good weapon, rather than have it available for just anyone to use.

Parn
Aug 15, 2006, 07:40 PM
On 2006-08-15 15:29, Saner wrote:
darn it. I can't find those screenshots where the player menu shows ALL of the weapon symbols with rank letters next to them on the lower left part of the menu screen interface. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif
You mean this:

http://synbios.net/games/PSU/screenshots/beta/hunter5.jpg

Saner
Aug 16, 2006, 10:22 PM
You mean this:

yes that's it! thanks! Why are the axe, doublesaber, claw and twin claw symbols greyed out? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Is it because the beta simply did not allow them to be available? Twin Sabers symbol is lit so this pic was probably taken after the beta added them and some clothes later on.

that character is definitely a Hunter because Rifles and Twin Handguns were in the beta but in that picture they are both greyed out, as well as all of the Force weapon symbols.

So I think the Axe, Claw, etc. greyed out thing is just like the Ranger and Force weapons they didn't wanna release until the final version is out.

And this proves individual weapon class ranks won't affect what other weapon categories your class can use, right?

plus, what is that Lv.5 gauge thing? is that the overall Class level? Ya I heard that can go up to 20 or something. maybe it's based on your overall ranks with various weapons.

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 17, 2006, 12:43 AM
Those who want to be fistfighters shouldn't have to wait for a fist-type weapon to be available, and then have a sword level much higher than his fist when he finally gets one.

I want to use a saber and handgun. Yippee, looks like I can do that from the start. No reason a Double Saber preferrer shouldn't be allowed that same advantage. Even if that means we'll see a lot of idiot Drizzt Do'Urden and Lloyd Irving wannabes running about.

Also, if someone has to "earn" a certain weapon category, that can "earning" a new weapon type that may not even have as much appeal to that person as what they're already using. So much for the weapon being special there.

beatrixkiddo
Aug 17, 2006, 01:06 AM
The stuff that is greyed out cannot be used by that class.

White_Zephyr
Aug 17, 2006, 10:49 AM
So it must be before double sabers were added to beta...unless the catch is...DOUBLE SABER IS FORCE ONLY! rofl

KylePhoenix
Aug 17, 2006, 11:16 AM
On 2006-08-14 18:15, beatrixkiddo wrote:
Nope.

Saner
Aug 17, 2006, 02:07 PM
On 2006-08-16 22:43, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
Those who want to be fistfighters shouldn't have to wait for a fist-type weapon to be available, and then have a sword level much higher than his fist when they finally get one.

I want to use a saber and handgun. Yippee, looks like I can do that from the start. No reason a Double Saber preferrer shouldn't be allowed that same advantage. Even if that means we'll see a lot of idiot Drizzt Do'Urden and Lloyd Irving wannabes running about.

Also, if someone has to "earn" a certain weapon category, that can "earning" a new weapon type that may not even have as much appeal to that person as what they're already using. So much for the weapon being special there.

Yes finally someone who understands! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Saner
Aug 17, 2006, 02:12 PM
On 2006-08-16 23:06, beatrixkiddo wrote:
The stuff that is greyed out cannot be used by that class.

please look again.

that character is definitely a Hunter. because Sword icon is lit as well as Twin Sabers and Twin Daggers.

all of the guns except handgun are greyed out.

all of the Force weapons are greyed out.

now you are telling me that is not a Hunter? Axe, Dblsaber, Claw and Twin Claws should be all lit.

MAYBE because it's a beta they are greyed out because they weren't available in the beta anyways. but the only way to be sure is ask a beta person if the Twin Sabers symbol was greyed out before they announced and added Twin Sabers to the Closed PC beta.

Sev
Aug 17, 2006, 06:31 PM
This is a fun topic. Saner's idea for the weapon shop does make sense. Although you find it as "Instant Gratification" instead of longing to use a Double Saber, you'll be longing for a stronger Double Saber or a rare Double Saber. Maybe you want a certain type from a certain manufacturer you can't get access to yet. Or maybe someone has a Double Saber that's grinded fairly well. There's more to it then simply having the weapon or not having the weapon. And as said before, the weapon skill increases through use correct? What's the point of having a skill up system when you can't get the weapon to skill it up in the first place? That just doesn't make as much sense.

Look... The old PSO system worked for PSO because you didn't have any type of ranking system for your weapons. The only thing you had was an ATP requirement if you were a Hunter and that was it. But this has more then that. Unless certain weapons are just ridiculously strong to start out, you need to have access to 'em all to get the skill level up. It's not like you're getting everything from the start, you're just getting a choice. Your Double Saber at level 1 is going to be just as weak as a regular Saber at level 1. It's all about the play style of the character.

Saner
Aug 17, 2006, 07:25 PM
What's the point of having a skill up system when you can't get the weapon to skill it up in the first place? That just doesn't make as much sense.

Look... The old PSO system worked for PSO because you didn't have any type of ranking system for your weapons. The only thing you had was an ATP requirement if you were a Hunter and that was it.

But this has more then that. Unless certain weapons are just ridiculously strong to start out, you need to have access to 'em all to get the skill level up.

It's not like you're getting everything from the start, you're just getting a choice.
Your Double Saber at level 1 is going to be just as weak as a regular Saber at level 1. It's all about the play style of the character.

Yes!!!! You PWNED all the naysayers! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

DarK-SuN
Aug 17, 2006, 08:18 PM
It's greyed out because the Hunter Level (as in, class/job level, not character level) still wasn't high enough to be able to use them.

Arrow203
Aug 17, 2006, 08:20 PM
At the risk of sounding like a dumbarse... they have H2H fighting weps in the beta >.> I saw a random JP player who looked like Afroman wearing H2H Weps that looked like boxing gloves... it was sweet.......

Velocity_7
Aug 18, 2006, 07:55 AM
Usage of weapons doesn't increase skill; only job level improves weapon ranking. If you do anything with the weapon it's leveling the Photon Art that's linked on it.

Saner
Aug 18, 2006, 10:34 AM
Well ya knuckles are hand to hand and always 'dual wielded' http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sev
Aug 18, 2006, 01:11 PM
On 2006-08-17 18:18, DarK-SuN wrote:
It's greyed out because the Hunter Level (as in, class/job level, not character level) still wasn't high enough to be able to use them.

Then what Hunter level do you need to access those weapons?

Saner
Aug 18, 2006, 01:19 PM
those weapons weren't in the PC beta anyways so there's no way to know,

unless someone reached a class level in the beta that caused the greyed out blade weapons to become lit.

but if Axes, Claws, Twin Claws, etc. have to be unlocked, are they that much more advantageous than the starting weapons?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-08-18 11:20 ]</font>

Sev
Aug 18, 2006, 01:30 PM
On 2006-08-18 11:19, Saner wrote:
those weapons weren't in the PC beta anyways so there's no way to know,

unless someone reached a class level in the beta that caused the greyed out blade weapons to become lit.

but if Axes, Claws, Twin Claws, etc. have to be unlocked, are they that much more advantageous than the starting weapons?

That's the only reason I can think of to make them accessible only later. Which means there's not that much of a problem to worry about. However, it doesn't make sense that you wouldn't at least get a Claw.

Saner
Aug 18, 2006, 01:34 PM
true.

Waaaah why didn't they make Twin Sabers harder to get and make Claws easier to get??? I'll probably have to start out with Knuckles and try mastering them until Claws are available.

well I guess Claws will be that much stronger/faster maybe. we see Ethan and online characters using them and stuff in trailers and their attacks and PAs do look downright lethal. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

JAR
Aug 19, 2006, 12:06 AM
Don't sweat it Saner, you'll have those claws before you know it. I'm pretty intrigued by the prospect of the axe being an advanced weapon type, it makes me wanna use one as my main melee so bad.

Saner
Aug 19, 2006, 01:27 PM
I think Scythes will fall into the Axe category.

Dingo
Aug 19, 2006, 01:48 PM
scythes were a seperate class in PSO weren't they?

Saner
Aug 19, 2006, 01:52 PM
they might be rares that are a separate category.

but I dont see why that would be necessary since axes are wielded the same way. long handle slashing tip weapons.

Saner
Aug 21, 2006, 11:34 AM
On 2006-08-18 11:11, Sev wrote:

On 2006-08-17 18:18, DarK-SuN wrote:

Then what Hunter level do you need to access those weapons?

how should I know?

tank1
Aug 21, 2006, 11:43 AM
Well that was certainly useful of you Saner.