PDA

View Full Version : Rare techniques?

PrinceRhys
Aug 14, 2006, 08:57 PM
This is just an idea put out there to either fly or be shot down. One of the things that kept people coming back to PSO was the rare weapons, armors, etc that were hard to find and fulfilling when found. Forces, while they could use special weapons, all had the same techniques. Sure there were higher levels that were harder to find, and grants and megid were also hard to find. Generally though, if you were a force you had all the techniques.

I thought it would be an interesting idea to carry over the idea of rare weapons to techniques, some as rare as some of the rarest weapons. That way forces could really differentiate themselves from each other. For example, maybe an all powerful foie attack on a single enemy (to those who played it, a Nafoi animation from PS4 would look cool) or a barta variant that freezes one enemy 100% of the time. Of course there would be drawbacks like huge PP usage. And I'm sure there are better ideas out there. There could even be rares specific to males or females (or, to make things interesting, cast forces) like some rare weapons are.

I've been thinking about this idea for a while and deciding whether or not to post it. I thought I would get some thoughts on it (whether it's a good idea, think it might have been implemented in the game, etc). Also, let me know if this has been thought of before and posted about. Just an idea.

Zinsian
Aug 14, 2006, 09:02 PM
I agree with the rare techniques idea. One thing that i'd want to see, is EXTERMELY RARE UNIQUE techniques. something you gotta be the first to find to have. one for the highest overall leveled player of each class/type. then you would get the rank of "Lord". Oh yah!!!! Lord Zinsian in da house!! LMAO http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif . but (sigh)...only one could dream....................................ALL HAIL LORD ZINSIAN http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Arrow203
Aug 14, 2006, 09:03 PM
I like that idea, that would set the forces apart on there just like the beasts and casts are apart, but that would also leave humas to sit alone in the dust with only balance as their best friends..

JAR
Aug 14, 2006, 09:06 PM
I suppose it would be pretty cool if there was a mission that would allow you to unlock megid! The animation for that tech would ROCK!

Zeig123
Aug 14, 2006, 09:07 PM
If their were some rare techs I would play a force fo sure.....a FOnewm because they rule.

Saner
Aug 14, 2006, 09:10 PM
Rare Techniques! now that is a great idea! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

with over the top special effects that make photon blasts look like a small poof of confetti. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

PrinceRhys
Aug 14, 2006, 09:22 PM
If that were there, I do definitely see a jump in the popularity of forces. All forces would have the same basic techniques, so you could depend on that, and everything about that is all gravy. They seem to be going all out with this game, and techniques is somewhere where they could really expand. When they do updates/expansions, instead of just adding new rares, throw a few rare techs in there too. Then, I guess in the same vein, this could be carried over to Photon Arts and Bullets, but I would think the focus should be on techniques. Hunters and Rangers already will have rare weapons most likely with special abilities.

The point is, most people won't be the same. And I would welcome that.

Zeig123
Aug 14, 2006, 09:25 PM
me too.....I think they should also make a tech that is incredibly rare and can only be used one time and it dissapears but it basically kills everything in the room except bosses and just burns it all to the ground

PrinceRhys
Aug 14, 2006, 09:33 PM
That would be interesting. Maybe a tech that causes an enemy to attack other enemies. This is all speculation and allowing our imaginations to run wild, but it is fun to think about.

Zinsian
Aug 14, 2006, 09:34 PM
On 2006-08-14 19:33, PrinceRhys wrote:
That would be interesting. Maybe a tech that causes an enemy to attack other enemies. This is all speculation and allowing our imaginations to run wild, but it is fun to think about.

Err...thats been done already LoL http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Kyunji
Aug 14, 2006, 09:40 PM
An attack that instantly kills all enemies sounds good (particularly to those who imagine they would be the ones using it), but doesn't work out in the game when you have people running around slaughtering everything. It takes the fun out of the game when you no longer have to actually fight.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyunji on 2006-08-14 19:41 ]</font>

PrinceRhys
Aug 14, 2006, 10:04 PM
Well as long as you don't make it overpowered. Just because there are some powerful special weapons out there does not mean that the game is easy. Then again, techniques are of a different nature than weapons. The key word again is balance. Hopefully, the enemies will be difficult enough where such attacks would not tip the balance but just make things more managable. The thing to remember about force is that they can dish it out, but they can't take it--they are still frailer beings (repectively) that can be taken out pretty quickly if they are not careful.

Emrald
Aug 14, 2006, 10:18 PM
If it was done right the idea could work

like a grants spell that makes you grow wings for two seconds and shoots light needles around...that'd be SWEET

Oji_Retta
Aug 14, 2006, 10:28 PM
Well, if there are to be rare tchniques, its only fair to have rare photon bullets and rare PAs because every class has rare weapons anyways.

Zeig123
Aug 14, 2006, 10:38 PM
On 2006-08-14 20:18, coolcat33333 wrote:
If it was done right the idea could work

like a grants spell that makes you grow wings for two seconds and shoots light needles around...that'd be SWEET

tight....or a dark spell that like nocked off a fourth of the enemies health and progresses to get stronger and makes you get a devils tail and wings for 2 seconds would rule too.

KylePhoenix
Aug 15, 2006, 08:29 AM
On 2006-08-14 18:57, PrinceRhys wrote:
This is just an idea put out there to either fly or be shot down. One of the things that kept people coming back to PSO was the rare weapons, armors, etc that were hard to find and fulfilling when found.

Lmao. Until it was hacked and everyone used monkey bar + 3 billion.

Oh wait, it was hacked 2 days after it came out.

Saner
Aug 15, 2006, 08:40 AM
2 days???? which PSO are you talking about?

surely not DC PSO v1

KylePhoenix
Aug 15, 2006, 08:44 AM
No. That took 3.

Saner
Aug 15, 2006, 08:47 AM
funny, in the months I played v1, I never noticed any hacking until like....well its a long time ago but when I did see duping I still had fun.

people wanna dupe something? fine, it doesn't affect me anyways.

Tycho
Aug 15, 2006, 09:15 AM
I noticed that most Photon Art Disks had a star rarity of 1*. It would be quite interesting to see a large variety of PAs of all stages of rarity, but I have not heard of any PA Disk synthesis boards up to now...

Emrald
Aug 15, 2006, 09:16 AM
there are PA disk synthesis? where have I been?

DoctorShasta
Aug 15, 2006, 10:49 AM
I'm not sure if I like the idea, believe me I would love to have that but once someone DID find that technique then that would give them a huge advantage because they just don't have better gear that gives better stats, they have an entirely new spell that if its as rare as you say would make them better than everyone else, because they have a new element they can add to their strategy.

However It might be okay because this isn't a PvP game and I really would love to have that.

Zeig123
Aug 15, 2006, 11:58 AM
I think they should have an entire grantz section like grantz gigrantz ragrantz and nozugrantz......same for megid....could you imagine a big cloud of darkness swirling around you killing alot of stuff but cost like 500 pp

PrinceRhys
Aug 15, 2006, 12:12 PM
Well, hopefully the server side saving of characters will solve the duping problem. Scratch that--it better since they delayed it so many times and supposedly have been working to solve such problems. I shouldn't be easy to do unless there is some sort of glitch, but that wold be patchable.

But true, I think duped rare techs would ruin the game even more than duped weapons.

Zeig123
Aug 15, 2006, 12:24 PM
yes i would have to agree....if there were duped rare techs that would just screw it all up even more then weps and armor.....I would have to kick someones ass for duping a rare tech then a wep.......but hopefully the end of hackers and duping will be coming soon once every one realizes taht soem things were just not meant to be done and it kinda ruins the game when every one has this one ultimate tech that si just unbeatable....

DoctorShasta
Aug 15, 2006, 02:25 PM
I think hacking really is going to be a lot more under control this time around I think they learned their lesson from PSO but what really makes me mad is now I can't go online with my offline character and I like playing offline with my friends and then going online.

Phaze37
Aug 15, 2006, 04:10 PM
but what really makes me mad is now I can't go online with my offline character

Unfortunately we can't have it both ways. It would have been nice if there was some sort of offline multiplayer that we can play using our extra mode characters though.

I think rare techniques are a good idea, as long as they're implemented properly.

Saner
Aug 18, 2006, 04:16 PM
ya as much as rare technics would be interesting, it would be pretty unbalanced.

after all there is a reason why magic-class characters are nicknamed "nukers". http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Liokia
Jan 11, 2007, 01:56 AM
I personally think it would be interesting if we had a rare technique with a recast timer on it... perhaps kill X somethings (Below boss status) inside X range (recast 2 weeks) =X lol... something just to make people say "daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmn" >.>

ljkkjlcm9
Jan 11, 2007, 03:04 AM
well they could make a force exclusive thing that has to do with the bar used for SUVs and NanoBlasts. Some massive spells with 6 choices, fire, ice, earth, elec, light or dark. Otherwise, I don't see anything else being possible. Making it a PA would just annoy people, but making it something like SUVs, as there will prolly be rarer SUVs later on, then yes.

THE JACKEL

CrabRangoon
Jan 11, 2007, 03:38 AM
I cant tell if everybody is using the word "force" as a synonym for Newman or not, but are you guys suggesting rare spells that FO's (i.e. all races) can use, or rare techs that only Newmans can use?

I think that a Newman only thing would be kinda wacky and "ok" at best, as they are the obvious best choice for FO and FO-hybridized classes. All the people that are going the more challenging route (or less thought-out route, whichever your case may be) of making a non-Newman tech-user would be left out, not to mention all those challenging ForteFighter Newmans would be left out from using their race's special techniques.

Only other conflicts I can think of when considering this subject (which I'd love to see happen, but I'm 85% sure that more intricate and serious techs are down the road with updates, and their rarity may be purely because of their high cost for purchasing [which is basically not effected positively by the duped/hacked $ on PC/PS2, thus making their rarity nil]) is that I'm not sure that PA's, BA's, and Techs can be sold in user shops, rather than just through the NPC. But, so long as BA/PA/Tech discs are sale-able through your user-shop to the public, this would work just fine, so that those who received them, who have no use for them, or no interest in them can get them to the right people.

Liokia
Jan 14, 2007, 03:11 AM
I think that in order to insure their rarety (sp?) you would have to make sure that they can not be sold in stores. Other wise it will just end up with a bunch of duped "rare" ones in peoples stores... make it something you must work for rather then buy...