PDA

View Full Version : if names can't be reserved, does this mean confusion???

Saner
Aug 15, 2006, 04:54 PM
Like what if you wanna alert people of someone, they might be using the same name someone else is using, and therefore the wrong person might get bad reputation because of someone else.

and how would Sonic Team know a Sonic from a Sonic? well ya each player's character probably has a special codename they can look up.

But player side, it would be very hard to spot them if more than one has the same name as the culprit. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

so do you really think names aren't going to be reserved? I wonder if they reconsidered this.

Ryna
Aug 15, 2006, 04:56 PM
I don't really see it being a big problem. We've already gone through it for over 5 years on PSO.

DoctorShasta
Aug 15, 2006, 05:00 PM
Yea I agree with Ryna we already went through it with PSO it's not that big of a problem maybe will happen a few times but its rare that people have the EXACT name usually they add a symbol or something

Saner
Aug 15, 2006, 05:01 PM
oh really???? I never even noticed.

but maybe cause I haven't played PSO since PSO v1 (I think names were reserved back then.

well I did play ep.1+2 but offline.

I guess 2 or more people having the same name is not bad. quite natural. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

hypersaxon
Aug 15, 2006, 05:04 PM
Names were never reserved in PSO.

Polly
Aug 15, 2006, 05:05 PM
Guild. Card. Number.

Saner
Aug 15, 2006, 05:08 PM
ohhhh. okay. ya it's been a long time. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Tystys
Aug 15, 2006, 05:22 PM
I don't think anyone is worth impersonating....

No offense, O_O

Cetus
Aug 15, 2006, 09:07 PM
and as Triela says there ther Guild Card wich is unique to every player and i don't think they took it aways

White_Zephyr
Aug 15, 2006, 09:10 PM
I'm totally cool with either. On one hand I like having a name that no one else can have...then again I like being able to make a character without needing a list of backup names I don't like as much as my planned name.

Zeig123
Aug 15, 2006, 09:47 PM
yah I dont really care but its nice to have a name that only you posses and not anyone else.

AzureBlaze
Aug 15, 2006, 11:55 PM
I doubt they'll do reserved names.
None of the other versions have it, so why bother? I DO think they should prohibit names like "Sonic" and "Knuckles" etc. if they're going to do the avatar thing again. Also NPC names should be prohibited because of stupid NOL. (remember her...and NOLing?) Not to say I think NOLing will recur, but still, leave the NPCs out of it.

As for imposters...
Yea, if you did a lot of BattleMode imposters would crop up. Some to be funny, and some to defame you. I remember this FOnewm guy with a lot of wins, ProfesserFrink and then meeting a Fake Frink doppleganger that just acted totally rude to everyone trying to wreck down the original.

For a time, I had one too, but I never met it. (it was of the offensive variety though) It was easy to spot though because of the diff in level/wins/cmode rank etc exposed info. It was simple to tell the bogus one apart. Creating an exact double is too hard and too not worth it., as Tystys says.

Zinsian
Aug 15, 2006, 11:58 PM
LoL. I remember on PSOX having about 20 friends with the same name MOOSE KNUCKLES and hanging around the most populated lobby and yell at little kids who talk about other people's moms too much.

Saner
Aug 16, 2006, 12:01 AM
20 MOOSE KNUCKLES? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif simply madness http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Zinsian
Aug 16, 2006, 12:03 AM
same avatars..did it for fun... there was a clan name right next to it but i forgot it.. i think we did it to make fun of em... also now that i recall it... we had way more than 20... cause there was about 14 people that i knew and a whole lot of others ive never met but knew the people i knew...

ShinMaruku
Aug 16, 2006, 12:22 AM
If you are original your name will never be taken. XD

White_Zephyr
Aug 16, 2006, 12:57 AM
On 2006-08-15 22:22, ShinMaruku wrote:

a little off topic, but I tried to make a mule on FFXI named Capybara once, (this is on one of the least populated servers mind you). Taken! Someone took my idea of using the world's largest rodent for a name! wtf! Sometimes originality isn't enough ; ;

ShinMaruku
Aug 16, 2006, 01:14 AM
That was a smart person. That's a rare occurence.
There cna't be too much Date Masamune's running around.

KylePhoenix
Aug 16, 2006, 09:03 AM
With Xbox Live I can imagine that a name will be linked to a gamertag, so that's no problem.

OdinTyler
Aug 16, 2006, 10:20 AM
That's one thing you gotta love about PS's online games, you can choose pretty much whatever name you want & not have to worry about being taken. That's a plus for us & a minus for MMOs. Having played an MMO, I know names I've chosen weren't taken, but, some names just aren't accepted by the server & causes you to alter the name.

Back to PSO. SectionIDs forced some people to name their chars a certain way to get the right ID. I tended to ignore that in favor of naming the char what I wanted (so long as I didn't get repeat IDs). The great thing about PSU is that it continues the system of not reserving names & now, no IDs to force a name upon you.

As has been said, the Partner Card # will clear up any doubts of a person's identity. Besides, when people insist on using anime or fighting char names, one that hasn't exactly been heard before will ALREADY stand out as original. I'm surprised I haven't seen the following:

A Hunter named Hunter
A Force named Force
A Ranger named Ranger

Yeah...now watch someone do exactly that, just to be funny. If you do, I want credit! LOL

Tystys
Aug 16, 2006, 05:06 PM
On 2006-08-15 22:03, Zinsian wrote:
same avatars..did it for fun... there was a clan name right next to it but i forgot it.. i think we did it to make fun of em... also now that i recall it... we had way more than 20... cause there was about 14 people that i knew and a whole lot of others ive never met but knew the people i knew...

You heartless bastard, XD

geewj
Aug 18, 2006, 05:28 AM
On 2006-08-15 21:55, AzureBlaze wrote:

As for imposters...
Yea, if you did a lot of BattleMode imposters would crop up. Some to be funny, and some to defame you. I remember this FOnewm guy with a lot of wins, ProfesserFrink and then meeting a Fake Frink doppleganger that just acted totally rude to everyone trying to wreck down the original.

Well it's comforting to know my good name wasn't destroyed, despite the attempt.

Velocity_7
Aug 18, 2006, 07:50 AM
I reckon the name needs to be original, unique, and niche enough so peple don't take it.

Natrokos
Aug 19, 2006, 02:44 AM
I've only had my name taken once....In FFXI I tried to rip off Galuf from FFV but someone already beat me to it....Other then that my names have never been taken.

Phaze37
Aug 19, 2006, 07:09 AM
I couldn't even get the original name I wanted for these forums. Hence the 37 beside my name. Don't even get me started on trying to find a good original name in WoW.

Whoever took the name Phaze on these forums, I HATE YOU. THAT'S MY ORIGINAL NAME.

By the way it won't be a problem, it's been confirmed that you can name your character whatever you like.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phaze37 on 2006-08-19 05:10 ]</font>

tank1
Aug 19, 2006, 07:35 AM
I totally agree with you Phaze why do you think ive got a 1 on the end of my name i hate name reserving.

PhotonCat
Aug 19, 2006, 11:21 PM
I am glad that names will not be unique. It is very annoying when someone takes a name you want. No matter what, you can never be too original with a name unless you name your character Rtyrurfjf or something.

In other MMOs it is very aggrivating to get a name for a character. There is lvl 5s who take names then stop playing and don't delete them. I find that unfair.

I am glad we don't have to put up with this in PSU. Not having names I wanted ruined other MMOs for me. I really don't like having to use the 56th choice I came up with for a name.

And BTW, it will be the same as PSO/PSOBB. Your character has a Card with the ID# on it. That's how you figure out who is who. I like that MUCH better.

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 19, 2006, 11:33 PM
I've never had any problems having to come up with a unique name. Then again...*looks at his name* It seems nobody's ever thought up a name like this in the 10+ years I've had it.

Roken
Aug 20, 2006, 05:50 PM
Its great that names dont have to be unique, but I have one question:

Can you make one letter names, for example call yourself "X" or "Z", something along the lines of that, as well as put numbers in the name ? Or is it like many other MMOs where you need a minumim of 3-5-7+ letters for it to be accepted?

Saner
Aug 21, 2006, 11:04 AM
probably any amount of letters.

I wonder what are all of our character word options though. what kind of symbols, numbers and fonts do they have available for names?

Hopefully the lowercase "L"s don't looke like "I"s http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

PandaMasterX4
Aug 21, 2006, 11:27 AM
I'm on both sides with name reserving but PSO didn't have much conflict with it. Some people will tend to whore certain servers over others. That's probably what I'm gonna do.

In a sense, I kinda like running into people with the same name.

Aion_Clyuve
Aug 28, 2006, 12:23 PM
I'm very glad that there isn't name reserving because:
1: I've played other MMOs and no matter how original I've made my name it has always been taken on at least one of the servers, invariably the one I originally want to play on.
2: I know it's cheesy, but after seeing the Cast character creation video on youtube I know that at some point I am going to have to make KOS-MOS or T-ELOS, and no reserved names means I'll be able to.

Arias
Aug 28, 2006, 01:43 PM
A Hunter named Hunter
A Force named Force
A Ranger named Ranger

Yeah...now watch someone do exactly that, just to be funny. If you do, I want credit! LOL

Too late mate, I've seen it tons of times:P

Now, my nickname used to be Aerilas, now that was original and nobody ever had it, on no site on the internet or whatever.
But I changed it cuz NO FREAKING PERSON could pronounce it right :S

PandaMasterX4
Aug 28, 2006, 02:51 PM
I'm pretty sure the way some people will isolate themselves are making themselves exclusive (like myself) to one universe (server)

Nogatorr
Aug 28, 2006, 08:35 PM
Nobody ever has my names. Reserving is never an issue. Even if there is ever a time where my name is taken, I can easily come up with another original one.

Blackwaltz-R
Aug 29, 2006, 01:59 AM
On 2006-08-15 22:57, White_Zephyr wrote:

a little off topic, but I tried to make a mule on FFXI named Capybara once, (this is on one of the least populated servers mind you). Taken! Someone took my idea of using the world's largest rodent for a name! wtf! Sometimes originality isn't enough ; ;

Thats because it doesn't matter what server you are on, NO ONE on ffxi regardless of the server they are on has the same name. Also how is a name that you didn't create origional? also you aren;t origional if someone has the name registered before you http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

On 2006-08-28 10:23, Aion_Clyuve wrote:
1: I've played other MMOs and no matter how original I've made my name it has always been taken on at least one of the servers, invariably the one I originally want to play on.
2: I know it's cheesy, but after seeing the Cast character creation video on youtube I know that at some point I am going to have to make KOS-MOS or T-ELOS, and no reserved names means I'll be able to.

Once again, the reason a name is taken is because its NOT origional, especially if YOU are not the first to register the name. I'm also pretty sure those names are trademarked, IE, not your origional creation http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

What does "origional" mean to people now? I think what you meant to say was "Uninspired".

Spellbinder
Aug 29, 2006, 09:58 AM
Well what about someone who wants to use their real name or a friends name? Oops, it's not original, try again. It seems unrealistic to expect thousands and thousands... upon thousands of people to have all different names. I'm sure there's more than one Susan or Jeffrey in the world, why not in Phantasy Star Universe?

Aion_Clyuve
Aug 29, 2006, 10:37 AM
On 2006-08-28 23:59, Blackwaltz-R wrote:

On 2006-08-15 22:57, White_Zephyr wrote:

Thats because it doesn't matter what server you are on, NO ONE on ffxi regardless of the server they are on has the same name. Also how is a name that you didn't create origional? also you aren;t origional if someone has the name registered before you http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

On 2006-08-28 10:23, Aion_Clyuve wrote:

Once again, the reason a name is taken is because its NOT origional, especially if YOU are not the first to register the name. I'm also pretty sure those names are trademarked, IE, not your origional creation http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

What does "origional" mean to people now? I think what you meant to say was "Uninspired".

Yeah, I know that those names I mentioned weren't my own creations, I just said those because I know I'm going to be tempted to make one or the other eventually because I really like the characters. The names that I actually use for my characters are not characters from games/movies/books. They're names I came up with, and despite what you may think it IS possible for two people to think up the same name, no matter how original they think they're being.

Pure-chan
Aug 29, 2006, 03:08 PM

how is a name that you didn't create origional? also you aren;t origional if someone has the name registered before you

On 2006-08-29 8:53, Jenny wrote:

Rage... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif for crying out loud, I've been hearing this "your name isn't original because it's made of real words" argument from you since 2004.

If the logic of your argument was to be followed to it's natural conclusion, in order for a name to be considered original, a previously non-existant word would somehow have to be pulled from the ether and used as a character name.

It seems like you either ignored or missed the spirit of Zephyr's post. Clearly the word "capybara" has been used before. Unlike "origional", it's a real word. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif However, the low frequency of usage of the word "capybara" makes for a relatively uncommon avatar name - one that Zephyr was surprised that another player had taken.

By your own standards, the words "black," "waltz" and "rage" wouldn't exactly be original, either. Aside from that, I've seen a few other Blackwaltz's floating around the interweb, too. Do you view the words in your own name as unoriginal? What about the order in which you've placed them?

Original, when used as an adjective, means something from which a copy, a translation, or the like is made. To an extent, this is a misnomer for what we're really discussing, since saying "original" leaves the door open for obtuse, circular arguments when taken as a literal absolute.

Hopefully everyone can agree on a working definition for original names, such as a name unique to a server, so that we can move forward with the discussion. If not, we'll end up mired in this mobius strip debate until someone gets tired of typing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pure-chan on 2006-08-29 15:21 ]</font>

theShoal
Aug 29, 2006, 03:52 PM
On 2006-08-29 13:08, Pure-chan wrote:

how is a name that you didn't create origional? also you aren;t origional if someone has the name registered before you

On 2006-08-29 8:53, Jenny wrote:

Rage... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif for crying out loud, I've been hearing this "your name isn't original because it's made of real words" argument from you since 2004.

If the logic of your argument was to be followed to it's natural conclusion, in order for a name to be considered original, a previously non-existant word would somehow have pulled from the ether and used as a character name.

It seems like you either ignored or missed the spirit of Zephyr's post. Clearly the word "capybara" has been used before. Unlike "origional", it's a real word. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif However, the low frequency of usage of the word "capybara" makes for a relatively uncommon avatar name - one that Zephyr was surprised that another player had taken.

By your own standards, the words "black," "waltz" and "rage" wouldn't exactly be original, either. Aside from that, I've seen a few other Blackwaltz's floating around the interweb, too. Do you view the words in your own name as unoriginal? What about the order in which you've placed them?

Original, when used as an adjective, means something from which a copy, a translation, or the like is made. To an extent, this is a misnomer for what we're really discussing, since saying "original" leaves the door open for obtuse, circular arguments when taken as a literal absolute.

Hopefully everyone can agree on a working definition for original names, such as a name unique to a server, so that we can move forward with the discussion. If not, we'll end up mired in this mobius strip debate until someone gets tired of typing.

That was beautiful. Anyways, my name has never been taken. I usually use the Shoal or just Shoal, although for some reason people have difficulty pronouncing Shoal

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: theShoal on 2006-08-29 13:53 ]</font>

Celethalion
Aug 29, 2006, 04:58 PM
On 2006-08-29 13:52, theShoal wrote:
That was beautiful. Anyways, my name has never been taken. I usually use the Shoal or just Shoal, although for some reason people have difficulty pronouncing Shoal

How the heck do ye mispronounce Shoal? o.O
I know people have trouble with mine, but Shoal....?

Blackwaltz-R
Aug 29, 2006, 09:18 PM
On 2006-08-29 07:58, Spellbinder wrote:
Well what about someone who wants to use their real name or a friends name? Oops, it's not original, try again. It seems unrealistic to expect thousands and thousands... upon thousands of people to have all different names. I'm sure there's more than one Susan or Jeffrey in the world, why not in Phantasy Star Universe?

You missed the point, its not abot BEING "origional" its about the appropriate use of the word origional. My name certainly isn't origional(not that I still use it) so my point would be hypocritical.

Foxix
Aug 29, 2006, 09:45 PM
off topic know, but isn't your sig WAY! too big, Aion_Clyuve?

Kyuu
Aug 29, 2006, 11:42 PM
On 2006-08-29 19:18, Blackwaltz-R wrote:

Origional
The word is original.

And frankly, you're being way too literal and elitist about it. A name does not have to be 100% completely new and unused to be original. For example, I use the name Ithiriel for female characters (I've used it in PSO:BB, WoW, and I plan to use it in PSU). Now, Ithiriel is a name I constructed using Tolkien's Sindarin language meaning "lady of the moon." While Tolkien himself never used the word, by your definition it's not original since I didn't pull the word out of thin air. While I don't particularly care whether or not my name is considered "original" by others, I still think it's a pretty original name. Same with Fuyuta, which I constructed out of the Japanese words fuyu (meaning winter) and uta (meaning song).

Original just means fresh, inventive, or novel. Using an existing word can be just as original as making up your own, with the added incentive that people know how to pronounce it and it doesn't look like a jumble of random letters.

Anyways, rant over.

I think that naming yourself after a not-very-well-known and extremely large rodent is pretty original. Just because you aren't the first to think of it doesn't make what you've done any less original. Assuming you didn't actually copy someone else, of course. =P

Zinsian
Aug 30, 2006, 01:28 AM
On 2006-08-16 15:06, Tystys wrote:

On 2006-08-15 22:03, Zinsian wrote:

You heartless bastard, XD

Lol. Well they deserved it. they ran around with h4x0rz thinking they own the place.

Aion_Clyuve
Aug 30, 2006, 10:15 AM
On 2006-08-29 19:45, Foxix wrote:
off topic know, but isn't your sig WAY! too big, Aion_Clyuve?

Good point. I guess Vince is getting the ax.

Blackwaltz-R
Aug 30, 2006, 11:02 PM
On 2006-08-29 21:42, Kyuu wrote:

On 2006-08-29 19:18, Blackwaltz-R wrote:

Origional
The word is original.

And frankly, you're being way too literal and elitist about it. A name does not have to be 100% completely new and unused to be original. For example, I use the name Ithiriel for female characters (I've used it in PSO:BB, WoW, and I plan to use it in PSU). Now, Ithiriel is a name I constructed using Tolkien's Sindarin language meaning "lady of the moon." While Tolkien himself never used the word, by your definition it's not original since I didn't pull the word out of thin air. While I don't particularly care whether or not my name is considered "original" by others, I still think it's a pretty original name. Same with Fuyuta, which I constructed out of the Japanese words fuyu (meaning winter) and uta (meaning song).

Original just means fresh, inventive, or novel. Using an existing word can be just as original as making up your own, with the added incentive that people know how to pronounce it and it doesn't look like a jumble of random letters.

Anyways, rant over.

I think that naming yourself after a not-very-well-known and extremely large rodent is pretty original. Just because you aren't the first to think of it doesn't make what you've done any less original. Assuming you didn't actually copy someone else, of course. =P

I think the word you are looking for is "Unique", not origional.