PDA

View Full Version : PC: Controllers

White_Zephyr
Aug 15, 2006, 10:48 PM
So, what controller will everyone be using? I have 2 options: A clunky NyKo Airflow controller, or a standard Xbox controller connected via a SmartJoy USB adapter. I may stick with the options I have but I was also wondering if the wireless Xbox 360 controllers can be rigged to PC, if anyone can answer that I'd appreciate it!^^

Cross
Aug 15, 2006, 10:54 PM
The wireless 360 controllers won't work with a PC out of the box. There's a seperate accessory in the works that plugs into a USB port and acts as a receiver for wireless controllers; I have no idea when that's supposed to be released, though. I've got a wired 360 controller until the dongle comes out for my wireless controllers. It worked pretty well for PSU during the beta.

I'd try to get a controller with a PS2-style or 360-style button layout. I found that the four shoulder buttons/triggers made it a lot easier to play than if there were only two. I'm not sure how well an Xbox controller would work since it's only got the two triggers, since the Black and White buttons are kind of oddly positioned for PSU.

White_Zephyr
Aug 15, 2006, 11:00 PM
Hmm, I forgot the 360 controllers have 4 shoulder buttons, I'm gonna look around some online stores and see if I can't find some wireless reciever donglemabob, or information at least. Thanks btw^^

White_Zephyr
Aug 15, 2006, 11:11 PM
Ooo, this looks ok. I love my Wireless Logitech PS2 controller, afterall.
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2225,CONTENTID=9069
http://www.provantage.com/logitech-963326-0403~7LGTC96N.htm here is is for $25, thanks Froogle!

hypersaxon
Aug 15, 2006, 11:12 PM
I don't really like wireless. Every time I've used my 360 controller, I've had it plugged in anyway. Of course, if I were in a large living room and there was a long distance from my console to the couch, I'd consider the option. But when you're using a computer, you're usually sitting right in front of it. So why not just go for the wired?

White_Zephyr
Aug 15, 2006, 11:19 PM
Well, I'm on a laptop. If I was on a desktop I'd be fine with wired. I've tried to play FFXI with a wired controller and it gets in the way more than a USB dongle would. It kinda sucks trying to type when a wire is intersecting your keyboard lol

Arrow203
Aug 15, 2006, 11:22 PM
I'll be sticking with the keyboard ftw http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

White_Zephyr
Aug 15, 2006, 11:25 PM
How is the keyboard layout with PSU? Nothing like PSO PC I hope...that's what made me believe I needed a controller. It's so ridiculous trying to run with the mouse.

Inazuma
Aug 15, 2006, 11:30 PM
PS2 controller ftw

Arrow203
Aug 15, 2006, 11:39 PM
Heh.. i dont quite remember how the keyboard layout was on the beta, and that strikes me as quite odd, all i do remember is that it took me 30 mins to completly adapt to the layout... and i dont usually adapt well >->;

White_Zephyr
Aug 15, 2006, 11:42 PM
Do you remember if it was WASD based? And did you use a mouse for anything?

l3iohazard
Aug 16, 2006, 06:14 AM
i think it will be like PSOBB...

tank1
Aug 16, 2006, 06:49 AM
Im torn between buying a cable 360 controller or sticking with my current USB one the only problem with my current controller though is it has no analogue sticks so i might not have enough buttons for PSU.

zandra117
Aug 16, 2006, 06:56 AM
Get a wired 360 controller, Its the best controller ever.

RLoge21
Aug 16, 2006, 07:13 AM
Logitechs do not last long at all. They will break on you after a few months of use, I went through 3 of them in 6 months.... switched to my xbox360 controller after that. It works fine and I will assume that this will last much longer than a Logitech would.

Nisshoku
Aug 16, 2006, 07:45 AM
I dunno....I got used to the keyboard from the Closed Beta... But, you never know. I might like the PS2's style of control so much, I might use it for the PC as well.

tank1
Aug 16, 2006, 08:02 AM
Ill probably get a 360 controller now that i think about it it will make playing 3D roms etc alot easier though ill stick to my USB for older games. Also does anyone in the U.k got a rough price on the 360 controllers ive heard there not that cheap.

Emrald
Aug 16, 2006, 08:26 AM
In america it cost me like $40 so I don't know UK price

EtherForce
Aug 16, 2006, 08:49 AM
In online rpgs I prefer using the keyboard cause it's a pain switching between the controller and keyboard every time I wanna type, though if I do end up using a controller I've still got my Logitech dual action controller, never had too much of a problem with it, heh heh.

Emrald
Aug 16, 2006, 11:09 AM
I mean I'm a fast typer so it wouldn't be to much of a problem for me....

JAR
Aug 16, 2006, 12:51 PM
On 2006-08-16 06:49, EtherForce wrote:
In online rpgs I prefer using the keyboard cause it's a pain switching between the controller and keyboard every time I wanna type, though if I do end up using a controller I've still got my Logitech dual action controller, never had too much of a problem with it, heh heh.

That's why I got my logitech wireless keyboard, so I'd be able to easily switch between using a 360 controller and the board if it's on my lap.

Niki
Aug 16, 2006, 01:13 PM
I've spent the last 9 months working my WASD skills on RFO, so though part of me would like to go back to the controller, I'll be sticking with the keyboard.

Zeota
Aug 16, 2006, 01:15 PM
I'll be sticking with my trusty PS2 controller and USB adapter which have served me well for so long.

White_Zephyr
Aug 16, 2006, 02:44 PM
I'm very used to using a keyboard for everything in FFXI, but I want to play PSU like I played PSO DC, with controller in one hand and keyboard in my lap.

Emrald
Aug 16, 2006, 02:46 PM
PSo was a game you could play with one hand really if you were skilled....and didn't use the shortcut menus....But I bought a contrtoler....Though Keyboard should get an advantige like it did on PSO BB with like...the 10 slots for the numbers

Sgt_Shligger
Aug 16, 2006, 06:03 PM
OK, if it hasn't been said, there are special 360 controllers made for the PC. If I remember right, all WIRED 360 pads connect to the 360 via USB on the system. If you want it to work for the computer, there is software for it. I own one of the pads myself and I am rather please with how well it works.

*EDIT* I forgot to mention you can buy the PC 360 pad with the software at BestBuy for forty five dollars >_>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SgtShligger on 2006-08-16 16:06 ]</font>

Emrald
Aug 16, 2006, 06:05 PM
I bought one two but I have no game to test mine with T_T.

McLaughlin
Aug 16, 2006, 06:39 PM
I didn't want to shell out 50$ (Canada >_<) for a wired Xbox 360 controller, since my Wireless one works like a pro, so when I DL'd BB 2 days ago I just played with the keyboard. I've got the hang of it now, so WASD isn't so bad. And the 1-0 buttons are a nice bonus. But my opinion doesn't really count because I'll be playing PSU on my Xbox 360. If I were to play on my PC I'd probably stick to the Keyboard though, as that's probably what the control scheme was built around.

Emrald
Aug 16, 2006, 08:38 PM
With PSO BB I used the arrows....I played left handed

McLaughlin
Aug 16, 2006, 09:11 PM
I'm more coordinated with my left hand, so I use that hand for movement. I'd hate to hit the wrong button and use an Item I didn't mean to. Plus the arrow keys are closer to the Ctrl button, making it easier to use the sub menu and quick menu (for me). My character is a HUmar named Tylor by the way, if you ever see me around (usually on Cronus) gimmeh a shout http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Emrald
Aug 16, 2006, 09:17 PM
I don't play BB anymore....But I'll take a free account lol....JK

Kyuu
Aug 16, 2006, 09:29 PM
On 2006-08-16 16:03, SgtShligger wrote:
OK, if it hasn't been said, there are special 360 controllers made for the PC. If I remember right, all WIRED 360 pads connect to the 360 via USB on the system. If you want it to work for the computer, there is software for it. I own one of the pads myself and I am rather please with how well it works.The only difference between the 360 controller for the PC and the "regular" 360 controller is that the PC one is packaged with a CD that has the drivers on it. That's it. If you can't find the PC ones, you can just buy a 360 controller and download the drivers off Microsoft's website.

Oh, and I too recommend the 360 controllers. Been using it to play PSOBB (plus some emulating), and I love it. ^_^

Emrald
Aug 18, 2006, 08:10 AM
I thought no one used Emulaters anymore...hmph....Well anyways yeah unless you can use a ps2 controler (just cause the game was desgined for one) then get a xbox 360...that's MY final vertict....though even over a ps2 one I guess i'd recamend xbox360....but it was made in mind for a ps2 controler....but first person shooters just feel so much more confertable with an xbox controler

ShadowTH1000
Aug 18, 2006, 10:18 AM
I have the cheapest Logitech controller (the $19.99 PS2 imitation one), and I bought it for the sole purpose of PSO, PSU, Emulators lol. It works great, I love that controller,I haven't had any problems with it.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2225,CONTENTID=6951

Arrow203
Aug 18, 2006, 08:44 PM
I thought no one used Emulaters anymore...hmph....

Are you insane? I emulate everything from arcade hits to Dreamcast games.... and even some "Non-Commercial" Xbox/PS2/GC Games. Xbox360 Controller works wonders.

Fleece
Aug 18, 2006, 09:39 PM
yeah 360 pad is the bomb but it only works on Win XP nothing else. I use mine for Mame32 My genesis emulator and my ps2 emulator + uhhhh uhmmm premiere disc

*runs off to play*

Sgt_Shligger
Aug 18, 2006, 10:48 PM
Hmmmm I never knew you could DL the 360 pad driver off the Microsoft site. And emulating is great. . . I've got a library of NES games >_>

Arrow203
Aug 18, 2006, 10:57 PM
Lol, wait... do those drivers.... make the two top trigger buttons work? O_O!? i can never get them to work on my Emulators.. ; ;

Phaze37
Aug 19, 2006, 04:58 PM
I think having only two triggers would be a problem for me. I guess I'll have to hunt down an adaptor that lets me use my PS2 controller on my PC.

Dingo
Aug 19, 2006, 05:12 PM
Shouldn't be too hard to find one Phaze. I just have no idea what such a thing would cost these days though

Sgt_Shligger
Aug 19, 2006, 05:18 PM
One issue. Those adaptors aren't sold at RadioShack anymore http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I went there and they told me that they stopped buying them. . . but you can locate the PS2 PC adapter at BestBuy if my memory serves me right.

Phaze37
Aug 19, 2006, 05:36 PM
Unfortunately there are no BestBuys where I live. They might be a US-only chain or something. I'll probably have to pay an arm and a leg to get one sent here from Lik-Sang. I hate ordering stuff online, shipping is always so expensive, but I bought a gamecube keyboard adaptor for Ep 1&2 from Lik-Sang so I guess I can bite the bullet one more time for PSU.