PDA

View Full Version : NPC/PvP Battles?

EtherForce
Aug 16, 2006, 09:43 AM
Looks like there might be battles against NPC's instead of just monsters like in PSO. I assume (I hope) this means PvP battles will be much better as well. I think this also has a big potential for online bosses as well. What do you guys think?

DoctorShasta
Aug 16, 2006, 09:59 AM
I don't think there is even a PvP system implemented but I could be wrong

KylePhoenix
Aug 16, 2006, 10:09 AM
There is no PvP system. Hurray!

OdinTyler
Aug 16, 2006, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't mind the option to fight some NPCs. Having played a ton of RPGs (I'm not complaining), some just really get in the way (or annoy me). The one in front of the shops in PSO always manages to get in my way! I think it could be funny if I could fight them to release tension & hopefully, no faction loss (MMO players know of this).

Emrald
Aug 16, 2006, 11:08 AM
I'm sure the NPC's would be on your guild card...and I'm sure that there will eventually be PVP battles.....I mean when PSOBB came out eventually they put back PVP and challenge mode...

Ibuka
Aug 16, 2006, 12:30 PM
I'm sure they'll put add Battle Mode later... After all PSO v1 didn't have a battle mode.
Beside i think PSU battle mode if they add one in the future ST will try to make it more balance then PSO battle mode. Plus it would be cool to use diffrent Photon Arts and thinking up diffrent strategy to use them against other players your battling

Niki
Aug 16, 2006, 01:15 PM
Personally, I'm with Ibuka on this. I'd love to see an Arena of some sort in the future.

Neith
Aug 16, 2006, 01:51 PM
PvP's only useful to own n00bs who don't know any better than to spam or whatever.

Aside from that, no PvP is a plus as far as I'm concerned.

tank1
Aug 16, 2006, 01:55 PM
I wouldnt mind PVP just to screw about with my mates and give clans more meaning but ulimately i dont mind one way or another.

Ibuka
Aug 16, 2006, 01:59 PM
Plus it would kinda make sense with the story to add a battle mode online play wise.
Since your a Guardian it would kinda make sense that they would have training/practing areas in the Guardian Colony for other Guardians to practie and test out each others skills.
Plus Battle mode will be something else to do after you pretty much almost done with the game or don't feel like fighitng A.I Monsters/Bosses.

Plus i think 3on3 would be wicked from PSO's 2on2 XD I'm gotta love the battlers spirit! n_n

Emrald
Aug 16, 2006, 02:00 PM
it would be fun if you could talk to your teammate without the enemy seeing your text so you could make plans and stuff

Ibuka
Aug 16, 2006, 02:03 PM
On 2006-08-16 11:51, UrikoBB3 wrote:
PvP's only useful to own n00bs who don't know any better than to spam or whatever.

Aside from that, no PvP is a plus as far as I'm concerned.

People who fight against noobs in PVP shouldn't even call them self a battler. Alot of the expert battlers on PSO wouldn't even fight you if your a noob. They would try to train you if you wanted to become a battler on there. If you battled and own noobs on PSO you would get a bad r.p as a noob basher and you wouldn't be respect among the other expert battlers

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ibuka on 2006-08-16 12:04 ]</font>

Ibuka
Aug 16, 2006, 02:22 PM
On 2006-08-16 12:00, coolcat33333 wrote:
it would be fun if you could talk to your teammate without the enemy seeing your text so you could make plans and stuff

lol Well in battle mode Rule 6 battler used simple mailed to do that. But a whisper option would be nice like Ep3 had if PSU ever gets a battle mode

Phaze37
Aug 16, 2006, 02:31 PM
I remember the one and only time I played battle mode I just owned everyone with my frozen shooter, except for the HUcast with the cure/freeze unit. Then I never played it again. Battle mode was terrible in PSO and if they brought it back in PSU I probably won't play it, but they should give us one regardless. It makes sense for them not to put battle mode in the first version though, they can use this version to figure out character balance, and then they can fix any imbalances they missed during playtesting in the next version and give us PvP then.

Emrald
Aug 16, 2006, 02:33 PM
Yeah that sounds like a good idea

Ibuka
Aug 16, 2006, 02:40 PM
On 2006-08-16 12:31, Phaze37 wrote:
I remember the one and only time I played battle mode I just owned everyone with my frozen shooter, except for the HUcast with the cure/freeze unit. Then I never played it again. Battle mode was terrible in PSO and if they brought it back in PSU I probably won't play it, but they should give us one regardless. It makes sense for them not to put battle mode in the first version though, they can use this version to figure out character balance, and then they can fix any imbalances they missed during playtesting in the next version and give us PvP then.

I'll agree with you there. They really need to fix open battle or rule like Battle rule 1 or 5... Cause those rule have no skill in it at all and it's basically the person that is the highest and has the best stuff thats the winner. But the expert rules is were battling where it's at. The only thing i hate tho is that no other classes could really fight each other. You had to make a Hu's battlers only or Ra battlers or Fo battlers only teams on PSO. I hope on PSU all races can fight each other if it does have a battle mode one day

Emrald
Aug 16, 2006, 02:44 PM
Yeah like usually a hunter couldn't even tuch a ranger or a force. But if they could the force would die in like one hit and the ranger would like die in two...and the hit system wasn't the best

EtherForce
Aug 16, 2006, 02:47 PM
Good thoughts on PvP battles. What I mean for the NPC battles though, was instead of fighting giant monster bosses, maybe Ethan and co. will have to do battle against members of SEED from time to time. I think this would be a great idea for online mode as well, and PvP battles will be much better than PSO's were.

Emrald
Aug 16, 2006, 02:49 PM
Yeah...remmber the NPC battles in PSO...When you wanted to use resta on yourself...you also ended up healing kireek and you go "ARRRG" and kill him anyways

Ibuka
Aug 16, 2006, 02:56 PM
lol Yeah. The NPC didn't have the best A.I on PSO when you had to fight them

That would be cool to fight NPC online on PSU instead of giant bosses all the time... Like having quest were after a seed member or something... Cause theres gotta be a reason why your on a Jet Skis riding and you see bombs and stuff in the the water you can run into and get hurt most likelt... They gotta be there for some reason beside game wise anyway

Emrald
Aug 16, 2006, 02:57 PM
Maybe depending on how many players you got would match how many NPC's you'd have to fight...it wouldn't be fair if it was 6v1 unless it was a Sephiroth NPC

Ibuka
Aug 16, 2006, 03:01 PM
On 2006-08-16 12:57, coolcat33333 wrote:
6v1 unless it was a Sephiroth NPC

lol That would be pwnge if you fought a god like NPC 6on1 XD I would play that quest/mission so many times XD

Emrald
Aug 16, 2006, 03:03 PM
LMFAO

Sephiroth:I owned all of you I HAX I HAX

me:Wtf?

DoctorShasta
Aug 16, 2006, 05:11 PM
I agree with Phaze I owned everyone with my frozen shooter in battle mode as well in PSO they put next to no effort into battle mode in my opinion they should've at least tried to balance it.

Saner
Aug 16, 2006, 10:47 PM
I heard

that in Hakura Temple in the offline story, the heroes fight actual people that are a part of a religious cult or something.

You may call them NPCs but they count as 'monsters'/enemies.

but what's unique about them is that they may use any weapons Guardians can use too. so those battles may turn out to be exciting duels.

Not sure if these kind of enemies will be found online though.

but in any case, if they add PvP later I won't complain.

I think PvP just hurts feelings and misses the point of these games, which is really about cooperation.

There are tons of competitive titles out there, this game or practically any online RPG's battle system is not suitable and balanced for PvP, because you cannot manually block attacks, and technics would be spammed like no tommorrow and people would exploit ice and other things to win easy with no real skill at all.

These kind of fights just turn into spam fests and the strongest and most advantageous combination will mostly win it all.

It's really hard to have fun with this kind of mode because most people are just in it to show off and brag about their 'superiority'. So the atmosphere in PvP is kind of harsh.

but whatever, some people find entertainment in these kind of extras. So if they add PvP later that adds one more optional thing to do. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-08-16 20:49 ]</font>

Phaze37
Aug 17, 2006, 04:31 AM
To balance PvP they should just make sure that the classes are balanced against each other. If they try to balance the weapons too, we could potentially miss out on cool weapons simply because they'd be broken in PvP. That way it would at least be balanced when you play a scenario that doesnt let you use your own equipment.

Fighting against NPC's could be really cool as long as they had good AI and none of that PSO weirdness where you'd have to wait for a long time after hitting the NPC before you could hit him again. A 6 vs 1 fight against a godly boss NPC with dramatic battle music could potentially be the coolest thing ever, as long as they do NPC battles right this time around. NPC battles were terrible in PSO.

zandra117
Aug 17, 2006, 06:19 AM
On 2006-08-16 12:56, Ibuka wrote:
lol Yeah. The NPC didn't have the best A.I on PSO when you had to fight them

That would be cool to fight NPC online on PSU instead of giant bosses all the time... Like having quest were after a seed member or something... Cause theres gotta be a reason why your on a Jet Skis riding and you see bombs and stuff in the the water you can run into and get hurt most likelt... They gotta be there for some reason beside game wise anyway

SEED is not an organization, Its an alien entity. SEED are just agressive parasitic plant like things that infest planets.

If you do fight someone they will probably be former members of the COG, AMF members, Other NPC Guardians, and Enemy Rougues.

Velocity_7
Aug 17, 2006, 07:11 AM
Thing though is that as much as this game is encouraging co-operative play, there's always going to be a few people here and there who want to do PvP and SEGA needs to serve everyone's needs. Clearly though, PvP isn't going to be doable as if it could happen at any time or any place based on how PSU works, but a 6v6 Battle Mode would be kind of interesting to see, if SEGA could pull it off.

By the way, chat works between two types; public and party chat. Presing F12 on the keyboard allowed you to switch modes so only the party could hear you, etc.

Neith
Aug 17, 2006, 09:12 AM
Read what I said next time, before assuming anything.

Ive played games with worse communities than PSO, and put simply, some people are just asking to get PK'ed (spammers, anyone using slurs, anyone who tries to kill me).

For owning people like that PvP is good. Otherwise, it's just an excuse to run around spouting 'OMFG I PWNZ0RZ'.

If you want to kill other people, play a FPS.

For a game like PSU, PvP is best left out, or confined to arenas.

Edit: As for the comment about battling in PSO, I have, and I'm not a fan of it. Not so much in PSO, but in other games, PvP makes a terrible section of a community, where internet egos thrive.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UrikoBB3 on 2006-08-17 07:15 ]</font>

Emrald
Aug 17, 2006, 10:39 AM
Yeah...Knight's only had the WORST PVP System....

Natrokos
Aug 19, 2006, 01:45 AM
I can do with or without PvP....I kinda like to duel once in a while with friends but at the same time I can't stand when people buzz around saying Duel me Duel me Duel me Duel me......