PDA

View Full Version : I want them to keep the Japanese voices :(

KylePhoenix
Aug 16, 2006, 10:13 AM
Like in the character creator when you choose voices, I want them to keep the Japanese ones. American ones would sound crap.

"ARGH OH NO I HAVE BEEN HIT."

-_-

Ash1ey
Aug 16, 2006, 10:22 AM
The games not even out yet in English. Give it a damn chance

OdinTyler
I would like the option to choose voice by char. If possible, I'd have my main with a Japanese voice (being that she IS Japanese). If they're in English only, I can accept that. Let's just hope ST offered us the option.

Also, from what I understand of the battle voices, they range from groans & grrrs to a few spoken words. Not knowing which I'd choose for each char, I don't think it will be that much of an issue. I guess we must just wait & see...

Shiro_Ryuu
yeah, me too, the Japanese voices sound pretty cool.

tank1
Aug 16, 2006, 10:24 AM
Im pretty much indifferent on the subject if the Japanese voices are implemented id be happy but im not gonna lose sleep over it.

OdinTyler
Aug 16, 2006, 10:31 AM
That's pretty much what I said. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

-Shimarisu-
Aug 16, 2006, 10:33 AM
Meh saying stuff in battle is pretty retarded anyway, I use voice number 6 which is pure YAH! HA! HARGH! - it gets on my wick to hear people saying the same lines over and over on the battle field.

KORE WA DOU DA??!
KORE WA DOU DA??!
KORE WA DOU DA??!

Repeat ad infinitum. The only Japanese voice 6 speaks is "Dame da" when you die.

tank1
Aug 16, 2006, 10:37 AM
no "Blarg i is dead!!1!" well that sucks.

OdinTyler
Aug 16, 2006, 10:42 AM
Is there a YUULOOOOORRR in there somewhere?

It's from Sword of Vermilion...pretty much the most gruesome sounding death scream in an RPG I've heard. Kinda funny too.

Even something like 'Oh God!' or 'Lord!' from the original arcade Golden Axe. Those were DEFINITELY funny!

KylePhoenix
Aug 16, 2006, 10:54 AM
I didn't know it GA had speech.

I use voice 5 -2

mechatra
Aug 16, 2006, 11:12 AM
JP Voice twelve for my beast ^_^

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 16, 2006, 11:55 AM
my HUmar would have either voices 7 or 8.

ShinMaruku
Aug 16, 2006, 12:23 PM
I feel they'll include the option since they been tryin to catch me ridin clean...

Niki
Aug 16, 2006, 01:20 PM
On 2006-08-16 08:22, OdinTyler wrote:

Let's just hope ST offered us the option.

My sentiments exactly. If Japanese is not an option on the US version, it'll be 3000 hours of silence. Guess I better start stocking up iTunes, just in case.

Zeota
Aug 16, 2006, 01:26 PM
I could care less, as I'll be importing and have no intention of jumping ship.

HUnewearl_Meira
Aug 16, 2006, 01:33 PM
I'm not clear that the specific variety of voices is really that important a thing to get worked up about. Personally, I'd sooner be able to choose a voice whose spoken words convey some sort of spoken meaning to me. I'll be quite honest here: Japanese is a terribly foreign language to me, and I often can't tell the difference between their yelps and grunts versus their battle cries. Seriously, it boggles my mind that anyone not understanding Japanese could possibly have a bias toward listening to that language in their games and anime, when they could otherwise have everything spoken in a language they are fluent in.

tank1
Aug 16, 2006, 01:56 PM
Dont you know everything thats japansese gets a +9999 cool bonus from anyone outside of Japan.

Disasteroid
Aug 16, 2006, 03:33 PM
Screw Japanese voices. Their high pitch squeals and grunts give me a headache.

EDIT: Inappropriate language removed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2006-08-17 11:55 ]</font>

l3iohazard
Aug 16, 2006, 04:00 PM
to bad u can't record your own voice...

Rubesahl
Aug 16, 2006, 04:15 PM
On 2006-08-16 11:20, Niki wrote:

On 2006-08-16 08:22, OdinTyler wrote:

Let's just hope ST offered us the option.

My sentiments exactly. If Japanese is not an option on the US version, it'll be 3000 hours of silence. Guess I better start stocking up iTunes, just in case.

-high fives- Yes I do agree that there should be an option for the two of them http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

I personally preffer the Japanese dialogue. I'm not fluent in it but I have a general idea of what they're saying [especially from watching anime, japanese dramas, movies and tv shows, they have all helped.] Spanish is my main language, and I know English fluently and some French. But I've always preffered hearing the native language [be it a movie or anything in another language] with subtitles. In my opinion it just sounds better [despite the squeaky voices some ppl hate in the case of Japanese games and anime] and also has better acting.

From experience, English dubbing tends to be my least favorite O_o They usually completely change the sense of meaning and it either sounds forced or over exagerated. Not to mention they usually disculturalize the thing in question to a great extent O_o Still I respect those who don't really care and are just fine with the voice overs or are annoyed by reading subtitles, but there are also some people who really preffer to hear the game in it's original language and I wish companies would note that more -__-; After all they just have to put voice overs and original languages [though sadly in this case space in the dvd is a restriction] and put the subtitles they already have from the translations they received . __ .;

Anyways I'm lucky enough to be importing and I'll be able to enjoy the original language even if I don't understand it entirely. Then when I get the US version I'll probably have a laugh XD

I REALLY do want them to keep the grunts and battle sounds. After all I preffer hearing the Japanese lines than:

Take this! And that! And another one!

¬__¬;

vitius137
Aug 16, 2006, 04:17 PM
I'm hoping that we at least have an option offline voices.

Dirty_Filthy
Aug 16, 2006, 04:33 PM
I would actually like to not have a voice at all, I don't think they'd give me that option though.

Pacpunk
Aug 16, 2006, 04:34 PM
i hate when characters talk in a video game while your fighting it is so anoyying!

_EiN_
Aug 16, 2006, 04:40 PM

That made me laugh long and hard *sigh*

Anyway I would only want english for the dialogue, mainly because I would understand it. I have always liked "Japanese Striking noises." like Link of Zelda for example.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2006-08-17 11:57 ]</font>

Numnuttz
Aug 16, 2006, 04:44 PM
i dotn think making grunt sounds is so bad. i see it at the VA's fault for sounding so bad that it makes us hate it. Im sure if American VA's(voice actors) could be as good as Japanese than none of us would complain.

phunk
Aug 16, 2006, 04:57 PM
I don't understand Japanese, wouldn't mind learning it, but I'm going to stick with the language I can understand >.>.

Tystys
Aug 16, 2006, 05:08 PM
MEHGREGORZ.

I don't really care about the voices, considering I'm going to be spending most of my time in online mode

trust_kill
Aug 16, 2006, 05:13 PM
Options is always a good thing, but language has never been a great deal of concern to me when I am worried more about the gameplay.

To be honest however, attacking shouts and grunts is pretty silly/annoying regardless of language.

Authenticate
Aug 16, 2006, 05:25 PM
You people and your Japanophila make me sick.

*hides katana and small anime collection*

Sev
Aug 16, 2006, 05:36 PM
Any repeated voice over and over agian is going to be annoying. Japanese, English, whichever. I have no preference of which language is going to annoy the hell outta me when someones using it in my group.

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 16, 2006, 05:48 PM
I can speak and understand some Japanese and it does sound a bit cooler than English, and yeah, my planeed HUmar who I'm recycling from PSO IS Japanese so it makes sense that he speaks Japanese.

HUnewearl_Meira
Aug 16, 2006, 06:43 PM
On 2006-08-16 14:44, Numnuttz wrote:
i dotn think making grunt sounds is so bad. i see it at the VA's fault for sounding so bad that it makes us hate it. Im sure if American VA's(voice actors) could be as good as Japanese than none of us would complain.

I promise you that the Japanese voice actors are not necessarily better than the American voice actors. You just don't understand the language or cultural mannerisms to know the difference. Consider watching the opening cinematic from Mega Man 8. You will thereafter have a hard time taking Japanese voice actors seriously.

Ibuka
Aug 16, 2006, 06:55 PM
I liked the J.P acting in Rockman 8 over the U.S version of Megaman 8... u_u

That reminds me... I need to go play Megaman 8. Been a while since i played XD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ibuka on 2006-08-16 17:10 ]</font>

hypersaxon
Aug 16, 2006, 07:48 PM
How can any human being stand to listen to annoying ass Japanese anime sounding voices?!

Niki
Aug 16, 2006, 08:18 PM
On 2006-08-16 16:43, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

I promise you that the Japanese voice actors are not necessarily better than the American voice actors. You just don't understand the language or cultural mannerisms to know the difference. Consider watching the opening cinematic from Mega Man 8. You will thereafter have a hard time taking Japanese voice actors seriously.

Has Sega released the VA cast for the English version yet? I haven't seen it, actually.

Still, 21 years of anime has taught me that I can't stand the same 10 English VAs in every TV series and video game, over and over. Though it could be argued the same way against the Japanese, I suppose. It just seems like a huge disparity in quality, but who knows?

So yeah, it's a matter of personal taste for me.

White_Zephyr
Aug 16, 2006, 08:44 PM
On 2006-08-16 16:43, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

On 2006-08-16 14:44, Numnuttz wrote:

On the contrary,¡¡Éùƒž (seiyuu) are probably the most renowned vocal talents in the world. Of course, there are voice actors in every language that are amazing, but in Japan voice acting is an artform. I'll let wikipedia speak for me.

Wikipedia: Voice Acting

Japanese voice actors (seiyuu) work in radio, television and movies. Their work largely mirrors that of their Western counterparts: performing roles in animated cartoons and video games, performing voice-overs for dubs of non-Japanese movies, and providing narration to documentaries and similar programs. As Japan produces over 60% of the animated series in the world [1] and a similarly large percentage of the world's computer and video games, the largest market by far for voice actors in Japan is providing voice-overs for anime and computer and video games.

Because the animation industry in Japan is so prolific, seiyuu are able to achieve fame on a national level and are able to have full-time careers as voice-over artists. Japanese voice actors are able to take greater charge of their careers than in other countries. Japan also has the institutions to support the career path, with around 130 seiyuu schools [2] and troupes of voice actors that work for a specific broadcast company or talent agency. They often attract their own appreciators and fans who watch shows specifically to hear their favorite actor or actress.

Hopefully, some dedicated fans of the japanese language will come up with a mod to swap voices from the japanese PC version to the english PC version.

Jack
Aug 16, 2006, 09:56 PM
Hopefully you'll just be able to turn them off. I turned off the character voices in World of Warcraft after about two minutes.

Saner
Aug 16, 2006, 10:12 PM
well the solution would be to import the Japanese version instead if you want Japanese that badly. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 16, 2006, 10:28 PM
In story mode: Naturally, I'd want the option to hear both and would go the the jp voice while playing. But, if the English acting is hilariously cheesy like in Resident Evil, I will have no choice but to go English.

Online mode: Yeah, definately give us options. I'd much rather hear "Hii, yuh, owari!" than "Hee, yuh, the end!" And "Kore wa dou wa/da", while probably annoying to hear over and over, at least it isn't "How's this? How's this? How's this?" And if I didn't understand "Kore wa dou da/wa", it'd sound a bit cooler...but since I know, that line really sucks.

If we're stuck with English battle voices, they better be on par with Tales of Symphonia or Legendia, the only games that didn't annoy the crap outta me with English battle voices.

Hey, what about bilingual voices? While I doubt anyone would put this into a game, wouldn't it be cool to have?

White_Zephyr
Aug 16, 2006, 10:29 PM
The problem with importing (for myself atleast) is that my girlfriend and about five other people I know IRL want to play as well, or else I would -.-;... I hope the file system for the closed beta client was to prevent leaking any important information. Maybe we'll get lucky and the sound folder will be full of wav files. In that case you could replace them with dummy files if you want no sound or you could replace them with the japanese voices. >.>;

ShinMaruku
Aug 16, 2006, 10:31 PM
I wnat Frnech vocies. You never seen Hellsing till you seen it in French

therealAERO
Aug 16, 2006, 10:42 PM
eh...I would rather have English, I too don't understand peoples fascination with japanese voice actors

PhotonCat
Aug 16, 2006, 10:42 PM
It would be really nice to have both EN and JP so we can have choices and all be happy. But I am sure that if there isn't a JP option, someone will make a mod that will let you use the JP voices(for PC of course, I can't see someone doing it with the 360 or PS2).

Ryudo
Aug 16, 2006, 10:53 PM
I'm just so happy I'll never have to listen to Lumia going neesan over and over >_<

MilkRocker
Aug 17, 2006, 01:51 PM

Please shut the fuck up. I highly doubt you could differentiate bad Japanese voice acting from good Japanese voice acting, based purely on your statement that Americans aren't as good as Japanese which only tells me that you're a fucking Japanophile.

Ryna
Aug 17, 2006, 02:03 PM
Until we hear decent voice samples for the English actors, it is unfair to say that the Japanese version will have superior voice acting. Based on the bashing that is going on in this thread, I am going to lock it.