PDA

View Full Version : Should I get PSU for the 360 or the PS2?

SULTANofSW1NG
Aug 18, 2006, 05:46 PM
I'm both the owner of an XBox 360, and a PS2. Which begs the question, for which system should I buy PSU?

To answer this question, however, I first need the answer to a few other questions. Those questions being:

1) Will their be additional fees for XBox live? (and I'm not talking about microtransactions, I'm talking about fees that will be REQUIRED to play the game, such as additional monthly fees, on top of XBox Live fees)

2) Will or won't the XBox 360's servers interconnect with the PS2 and PC servers? (seeing as all my friends that are buying the game are getting the PC version)

and

3) How much would the monthly cost be to play PSU for the PS2 (I need a rough estimate at the very least)

To all those that reply, thanks for your time.

VioletSkye
Aug 18, 2006, 05:51 PM
1. Yes there will be an additional fee to play PSU.
2. Not officially known at this time (although it looks kinda doubtful.)
3. Not officially known but has been stated to be around $13/month (that came from an EGM article, so take with a huge grain of salt lol.)

Fleece
Aug 18, 2006, 06:18 PM
PSU MAY run on live silver account and its unsure whether 360 will connect with ps2 and PC (Most people will tell you it isnt even though its unconfirmed), and the fee for PSOBB on the pc is around ten dollars so i expect it to be about the same.

hypersaxon
Aug 18, 2006, 06:26 PM
Is it just me, or does someone make a topic stating these exact two questions every 2 days?

Saner
Aug 18, 2006, 06:40 PM
well ya because newcomers appear now and then.

I heard the fee will be like 12 the first month and 10 every month after that. but that might be Japan's fee.

since your friends are going to play it on PC, you should probably get a PS2 since they said that's linked with PC. or maybe Sonic Team might linke Xbox360 with the other systems. but ya probably have to wait until September or October for official news.

watashiwa
Aug 18, 2006, 07:31 PM
PSU on 360 = better graphics (hello 720p widescreen HDTV resolution) and voice chat . Most likely will have quicker load times as well due to hard drive caching.. Don't know how PSU's updating system will work.. but I'd imagine XBox360, along with the PC, would be able to take advantage of it the best
PSU on PS2 = bigger community (because of PS2 and PC communities being one in the same..)

That's about it.

I'm pretty sure that PSU will run on XBox's Silver free service since you have to pay ST a seperate fee. (So the price of an HL on all platforms will most likely be universal..)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2006-08-18 17:32 ]</font>

hypersaxon
Aug 18, 2006, 08:13 PM
I think I'm gonna get the 360 version and a flat-tube HDTV, and hold off on buying a new PC until Vista and DX10 video cards are available.

Sotaka
Aug 18, 2006, 08:50 PM
On 2006-08-18 16:40, Saner wrote:
well ya because newcomers appear now and then.

Saner is too forgiving.

Let's start mercilessly beating them with a stick.

zandra117
Aug 18, 2006, 08:59 PM
Well according to the poll on this website, most pso-world users are going to be on the pc and ps2. However according to this poll http://boards.ign.com/phantasy_star_universe/b7890/121796220/p1/?14 most people of the general public (aka. IGN) will be on the 360 version.
So we might end up having around the same population for both servers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2006-08-18 19:06 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Aug 18, 2006, 09:10 PM
I'd hardly call that an accurate repersentation of the gaming public. Only 38 people had voted when I looked at it (28 of those being 360 votes.) Remember that the 360 is the newest console available so I'm sure many of the member visiting the IGN forums have 360s as well hence the larger number of votes. I'll be HUGELY surprised if the XBox version sells more than the PS2 version. Also, I think I can safely say that the largest majority of players will be Japanese and will support the PS2 and PC versions more so than the 360 version. BTW, yes I know the JP servers will not be linked with the US servers. I'm just saying that woldwide, the 360 version won't sell nearly as many copies.

zandra117
Aug 18, 2006, 09:12 PM
I was talking about the US version.

McLaughlin
Aug 18, 2006, 09:17 PM
1. Most likely.
2. Highly improbable. Xbox 360 will support voice chat, and the other 2 versions won't (you can check the interview this site has as proof).
3. Between 9-15 dollars.

I'd say get it for PS2, as that has been confirmed to play on the same servers and the PC version. I'll be playing on my Xbox 360, because Sony isn't getting another dime outta me. My PS2 does a fine job of collecting dust.

Sotaka
Aug 18, 2006, 10:43 PM
On 2006-08-18 19:17, Zeta wrote:
1. Most likely.
2. Highly improbable. Xbox 360 will support voice chat, and the other 2 versions won't (you can check the interview this site has as proof).
3. Between 9-15 dollars.

I'd say get it for PS2, as that has been confirmed to play on the same servers and the PC version. I'll be playing on my Xbox 360, because Sony isn't getting another dime outta me. My PS2 does a fine job of collecting dust.

In reference to two, the FFXI servers supported X-box 360, PC, and PS2 (Although not as complex in terms of gameplay)

Simply put, they just allowed 360 players to talk to eachother via voice chat, and have to use keyboard to talk to others. Which works nicely, it's hard to tell the difference between a 360 player and a PC player.

Pacpunk
Aug 19, 2006, 01:24 AM
i would get it on the 360. it's gonna be better. acheivments and voice chat are just better

Killuminati
Aug 19, 2006, 02:36 AM
I would go with the PS2 version as it has been confirmed that you will be able to play with PC players with PS2. 360 servers will be seperate and likely have less people.

Saner
Aug 19, 2006, 08:24 AM
with 360, you have to factor in not even 50% of the consumers like RPGs or online RPGs with fees. or even play games online.

and 360 is brand new so that doesn't even make up 40% of PS2's consumer population. plus most PS2's games are free online plus FF11 is a big hit for that system too since it came out.

so PS2's online population is immeasurable based on how many will play this online, and that's not EVEN counting the amount of PC players the PS2 players will be playing with.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/burger.gif

I would get the 360 version if it gets linked with PC and PS2 (besides 360 supports keyboard chat and I can just keyboard chat comfortably instead of using the annoying headset) but that's highly unlikely that they will link 360 version with the others.

There is even a cult of gamers who don't want 360 version linked with PC and PS2 version.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/cone.gif

sigh...so much x360 people isolated from other systems. makes me wonder why I bought a X360 to begin with. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

KylePhoenix
Aug 19, 2006, 08:27 AM
1) Yes, there was with PSO. It will be there on every platform so no matter which you choose you'll have to pay. To be honest, fees are actually a good thing. It actually means that people are getting paid to stop hackers etc.

2) Nope. Xbox 360 servers are totally seperate from the PC and the PS2. Even though it has been said that the PC and PS2 servers are shared, it's probably not true. The reason the servers are split is because Xbox 360 has voice chat, so you don't have to spend an hour typing "HLeP" when you can just say it.

3) The same for every platform. Probably £6.
(Convert that into whatever country you're in)

In my opinion Xbox 360 would be the best. You get much better service. For one thing, the PS2 runs awfully online (nobody even know if it can run online) and the graphics will be bad. The Xbox 360 has better graphics and voice chat. If you really want to play with your friends, just use a PC.

Saner
Aug 19, 2006, 01:06 PM
In my opinion Xbox 360 would be the best. You get much better service. For one thing, the PS2 runs awfully online (nobody even know if it can run online)

now that's just too silly. PS2 runs many online games perfectly. and lag is virtually nonexistent in games like Timesplitters: FP, MK Deception and Resident Evil Outbreak 2.

countless play FF11 online with PS2 and not having any connection problems, so saying that PS2 runs awfully online is nonsense.

also the PS2 version will have full online play too obviously, so you can't act like there is doubt that the PS2 can run online.

and the graphics will be bad. The Xbox 360 has better graphics and voice chat. If you really want to play with your friends, just use a PC.

the Xbox360 graphics will be better. but the PS2's graphics are not bad unless you're blind or expect too much from graphics. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

And you can't just say he should just get a PC, maybe he can't afford it, which is why he asked questions regarding the Xbox360 and PS2 versions.

He already has a Xbox360 and PS2. If he wants to play with his friends, he might as well play on PS2 unless he wants to get a PC that can run it as good as a PS2 can.

The reason the servers are split is because Xbox 360 has voice chat, so you don't have to spend an hour typing "HLeP" when you can just say it.

that exaggeration is irritating. it doesn't take an hour to type "help".

Keyboard and voice chat both have their pros and cons but clearly keyboard is more universal and the way this game is intended for the main form of communication
since everyone can read what you type up. but only headset users can hear what you say through headset.

so which form of communication has the advantage? keyboard. since the first important thing is getting your message across.

So if you expect to communicate with voice in a text-dominant game, then your only option is to isolate yourself with other voice chat users.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-08-19 11:21 ]</font>

Dingo
Aug 19, 2006, 01:22 PM
The community for PS2 version should be fricken huge compared to 360'. The only thing that concerns me A LOT is the fact that the PS2 version is impossible to patch. Don't get me started with the memory-card, cause we all know that it's just impossible to patch any problem that might occur, with a file that is smaller than 8 mb

Saner
Aug 19, 2006, 01:25 PM
Star Wars Battlefront released 2+ online patches for download for the PS2 version and they fit on the memory card.

Nuclearranger
Aug 19, 2006, 01:29 PM
Im going to have to agree with Saner here You asked if you should get 360 or ps2.
If your friends are on the PC get the ps2 dont even ask that question... unless you didnt know they were seperate.
All this talk about 360 having awsome HD-TV 720p omg...... guess what PC can and will allways beat consoles in graphics...
You get a new system looks slightly better I just buy a new GPU
The difference in ps2vs360 in graphics wise will be
640x400 vs *im guessing* 1280x1024
The graphics texture wise will be the same the only difference would be that the image would look sharper and you would see less jaged edges.
I could be wrong about the texture sizes but I have seen the PS2 run some nice looking games so it shouldn't hurt it.
Headset vs keyboard........does this realy need to be an argument
Headset- you can talk// but do you allways want to?
Keyboard- yes it is slightly slower but guess what.... the only people slow at typing are the ones who dont do it. IE- headset

Nuclearranger
Aug 19, 2006, 01:33 PM
On 2006-08-19 11:22, Dingo wrote:
The community for PS2 version should be fricken huge compared to 360'. The only thing that concerns me A LOT is the fact that the PS2 version is impossible to patch. Don't get me started with the memory-card, cause we all know that it's just impossible to patch any problem that might occur, with a file that is smaller than 8 mb

You do know that with sega even if there is a problem on both versions if it isnt patchable with 8MB dont expect to see it on the 360 version eather.... XD
Allso read the front page. As I have said before and that just confermed it. "EVERYTHING IS RUN THREW THE SERVER." Im guessing patches wont even be needed as you can just patch the server taking 0.000000MB of the memcards room.

HyperShot-X-
Aug 19, 2006, 01:35 PM
...if u could afford both systems and have the patience to wait for the best version of PSU on superior system, by all means get X360 one & convince all ur PC friends to get X360 also(assuming many pc users already got one or could easily afford one in near future), but if u just can't wait for about 2 more months and must play it as soon as the game is out no matter how much disadvantages ps2 version will have compared to the 360 couterpart for about the same price, well it's ur own money to gamble, just don't regret it like after 5-6 months later when u have to get another 360 game & u just can't resist to get PSU X360 to see for urself just how much 'better' it is and realize too late that u should've gotten that one instead from the start...

Saner
Aug 19, 2006, 01:42 PM
disadvantages? nonsense.

HyperShot-X-
Aug 19, 2006, 04:37 PM
nonsense? yeah, maybe to u only, Saner. With all due respect, don't u ever say u will 'never' get the 360 version sooner or later eventually when that ps2 overheats n dies. Because of unwise ppl like u, the history might repeat itself yet again the same as it did back when the majority of impatient PSO DC poplution migrated to PSO GC instead of Xbox on a matter of 2 months lag release. Ppl learn from past experiences so the same thing will not happen again, most likely i hope.

Anyways, for those unfortunate ones who really can't afford X360 to play PSU then there's no choice, but in this particular case where you got the choice to make a wise decision on, you should look beyond the huge server population for more practical advantages the game will offer.

Dingo
Aug 19, 2006, 05:01 PM
PSOX community would have never gotten as big as the GC's anyway since there's the whole target audience to consider. People who bought an Xbox back then were trying to be cool and rebellious and were looking for the best graphics. PSO did not offer 'coolness' with it's colorfull graphics and ancient graphics-engine.

I really don't get the arguments in favor of the 360 version. Voicechat made me feel uncomfortable most of the time on PSOX and the graphics arguments can be ignored when you consider that most people on these boards will choose gameplay over graphics any day. Even if some of them are graphics whores they will go for the PC version because it WILL look even better than the 360 version. Another PLUS for the PS2 and PC version is the supposed interchangability of the characters between versions. Furthermore, as I have stated before, the community on PS2 and PC will be fricken huge compared to 360'. And if people are eager to use a voicechat option, the PC will always offer things like ventrilo or teamspeak (not very ideal solutions, but hey http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif). Then there's the 720p argument. Any PC from the stoneage can display 1280x720 resolutions at 75 hertz on a computer monitor.

Phaze37
Aug 19, 2006, 05:28 PM
I recomend getting the PS2 version because it comes out sooner and it will have a bigger community. The lack of voice chat isn't a big deal, because I would be very surprised (and disapointed) if it didn't have chat shortcuts. So instead of typing "help" you should be able to set it to a key on the keyboard. That's even faster than voice chat and you can be sure that everyone will see it, you wont have to worry about your voice not coming through clearly. I could never understand anyone through voice chat on PSOX, although to be fair I am partially deaf, so I'll admit that I'm heavily biased in favour of the versions without voice chat. With chat shortcuts you can also make your "help" message much more elaborate, like "HELP ME PLEASE!!" in spiky text bubbles. It would be hard for your teammates to miss that, and noone would ever bother trying to type out all of that when they're in need of help.

SULTANofSW1NG
Aug 19, 2006, 06:12 PM
Why is it that the largest argument against the 360 interconnecting with the other 2 systems is that the 360's version will support voice chat? You do realize that the 360 has a USB port, meaning I could just hook up a keyboard to communicate with the PS2 users and the Commies (XD, that's right, I went there), unless the PSU for the 360 won't support a keyboard... which would be R-E-T-A-R-D-E-D.

But anyways... I guess I won't know which one to get until more info is released from Team Sonic. Such as whether or not all 3 sytems will interconnect, which is the most crucial answer I'm lookin' for.

phunk
Aug 19, 2006, 06:35 PM
Play online on PC

Play singleplayer on 360.

SULTANofSW1NG
Aug 19, 2006, 07:30 PM
On 2006-08-19 16:35, phunk wrote:
Play online on PC

Play singleplayer on 360.

You're missing the part where my computer's so bad that it can't even play TESIII: Morrowind, let alone PSU.

Dingo
Aug 19, 2006, 07:40 PM
You're missing the part where my computer's so bad that it can't even play TESIII: Morrowind, let alone PSU.

I second that. I feel for ya man, us 386-users have to stick together man.