PDA

View Full Version : Making future plans, hoping I don't choose a bad character o

Zorafim
Aug 20, 2006, 09:29 PM
I wanted to make a female newman hunter (I'd make a male, but I like PS's nei look too much) using mainly spear and daggers, maybe sword + handgun for ranged. Assuming the system is similar to PSO, that would give me my crowd control weapon, my damage over time weapon, and my ranged weapon. Seeing how I haven't really played the game and explored the options, I'm not sure if this is workable or not. For those of you who'd know more about the game than me (read: all of you), would this work?

Eclypse
Aug 20, 2006, 09:33 PM
You're putting way to much thought into the way you're going to do things. PSU is going ot be just as easy as PSO was/is so it doesn't matter what you run with, you will be able to drop things relatively easy since the game isn't that hard.

I could see if you were planning for some other type of MMO game where planning is smart, but for PS type games, you can just grab your rares and start slaughtering enemies with little problem. Don't believe me, search the forum for beta/demo video of game play and you will see people using Handgun/Saber combos, etc to ruin enemies. I personally thing the Handgun/Saber combo is retarded, but that's just my opinion.

IhateUrHate
Aug 20, 2006, 11:21 PM
yeah im not a fan of the Handgun-Saber combo. But i agree with Eclypse, ur thinking too hard about ur weapon choices and how effective they will be, etc. But hey, u play the way u want to play(shrugs)

Zorafim
Aug 20, 2006, 11:56 PM
That's what a year of FFXI does to a man. When nothing but the best is accepted, you have to work just so that you don't get laughed at. If anything works, I guess a drop in performance is not that big a deal compared to the visual bonus. Thanks for your input.

Niki
Aug 21, 2006, 01:35 AM
It's been said before. Play what you like. No matter what it is, you can contribute to the team.

_Tek_
Aug 21, 2006, 02:03 AM
I only focus on character image, not gameplay. I know I'll end up using all of the weapons. The least I do is pick one of each race, and atleast one female.

hypersaxon
Aug 21, 2006, 02:05 AM
I'll probably use a Saber / Handgun combo to start with, but once I get the Expert options I'm going Saber / Mechgun http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Tycho
Aug 21, 2006, 02:37 AM
You should test stuff in Story Mode if you really want to know.

therealAERO
Aug 21, 2006, 03:14 AM
Hey man the saber/handgun combo is fine. What I like to do is take pot shots at everything from a distance, and than let my team handle some than I'll come in with my saber. The gun, and auto target work so well in PSU.

l3iohazard
Aug 21, 2006, 03:37 AM
i think i'll just make a pure hunter beast dude becasue i loved my hucast so i guess this guy would be cool to

Dingo
Aug 21, 2006, 04:45 AM
What would be so bad (or good) about the saber+handgun combo?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dingo on 2006-08-21 05:29 ]</font>

Roffkaiser
Aug 21, 2006, 08:00 AM
On 2006-08-21 02:45, Dingo wrote:
What would be so bad (or good) about the saber+handgun combo?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dingo on 2006-08-21 05:29 ]</font>

It's not as good for either situation(ranged or melee) as dual pistols or twin sabers, which you could take a second out of your time to switch to, though if you feel you don't have the time to switch(even if it is only a button press and a second of waiting) or you think it looks awsome than it doesn't really matter.

Zorafim
Aug 21, 2006, 10:36 AM
Will hunters be able to dual wield guns, though?

Tycho
Aug 21, 2006, 10:46 AM
On 2006-08-21 08:36, Zorafim wrote:
Will hunters be able to dual wield guns, though?Yeah. From what I know, they will be capable of wielding Twin Handguns (though there will most likely be rank limitations).

Saner
Aug 21, 2006, 11:00 AM
hmm haven't seen Hunters using Twin Handguns. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

or Rangers/Forces using Twin Daggers.

tank1
Aug 21, 2006, 11:18 AM
Arent Twin Handguns merely a type of Handgun you buy but you can only ever use both and not just the one?

Saner
Aug 21, 2006, 11:24 AM
Twin Handguns is a separate class and style from single Handguns.

just like Sabers and TwinSabers are separated classes/styles/categories.

PandaMasterX4
Aug 21, 2006, 11:24 AM
On 2006-08-20 21:56, Zorafim wrote:
That's what a year of FFXI does to a man. When nothing but the best is accepted, you have to work just so that you don't get laughed at. If anything works, I guess a drop in performance is not that big a deal compared to the visual bonus. Thanks for your input.

No friken kidding.

tank1
Aug 21, 2006, 11:29 AM
Just says its a pair of pistols on PSUpedia.

Saner
Aug 21, 2006, 11:35 AM
it's not simply a pair of pistols. Twin Handguns always come in sets.

http://synbios.net/games/PSU/screenshots/beta/hunter5.jpg

this weapon category chart proves Handguns and Twin Handguns are separate category of weapons.

tank1
Aug 21, 2006, 11:42 AM
Well looking at the base stats it shouldnt be a problem for a Hunter to use them.

it's not simply a pair of pistols. Twin Handguns always come in sets.
Also i basically said that in my first post.

Saner
Aug 21, 2006, 11:47 AM
oh ok. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

White_Zephyr
Aug 21, 2006, 02:19 PM
that's kinda lame, the dual wield would be better if it were a class specialty based on the weapon. If it's true hunters can use dual handguns, then my plans to play ranger are over lol.

Natrokos
Aug 21, 2006, 02:58 PM
I don't think that hunters can use duel handguns? I thought that rangers were the only ones who could.....And i've never seen any pics of Hunters with duel handguns....I'd need hard evidence =p

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 21, 2006, 03:06 PM
actually, it says in this link that Twin Handguns are useable only by Rangers, as a Hunter lover, I think it would suck if Hunters were able to wield Twin Handguns.
http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2372

White_Zephyr
Aug 21, 2006, 03:10 PM
alright, good lol

Saner
Aug 21, 2006, 03:13 PM
On 2006-08-21 13:06, Shiroryuu wrote:
actually, it says in this link that Twin Handguns are useable only by Rangers, as a Hunter lover, I think it would suck if Hunters were able to wield Twin Handguns.
http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2372

ya sharing simple things like handguns and daggers are nice. but Twin Handguns and Twin Daggers is kind of pushing it.

people who choose a class must accept what that class can use and is best at.

Eclypse
Aug 21, 2006, 08:48 PM
Why would it suck if a Hunter could use dual-handguns? It's not like it would make it seem like like a Hunter seeing as melee or medium range guns are basically one and the same. I think it sucks ass that Hunters can't use dual-handguns because I planned on only using dual-sabers, double sabers, or dual-handguns as my weapons choices. I think this limits Hunters in a way because on one hand they can use Mechss, which are more damage overall, but not handguns which are less damage overall.

White_Zephyr
Aug 22, 2006, 12:03 AM
because it would overpower hunters and make rangers pointless. If rangers could use dual claw, dual saber, and dual dagger...I'm sure hunters would be less popular.

Saner
Aug 22, 2006, 08:31 AM
ya there is a point in making them separate classes, otherwise they might as well only offer one class called "Guardian". http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

you have to make a choice in what style you want more.

tank1
Aug 22, 2006, 09:38 AM
Still Twin pistols is hardly like giving Hunters Laser Cannons or Rifles is it?

Saner
Aug 22, 2006, 02:24 PM
it's still going a bit too far in flexibility, people are lucky they can even use the most basic weapon from other classes.

if people want Twin Handguns that badly then Ranger is the way to go. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Pengfishh
Aug 22, 2006, 03:47 PM
From what I know of PSO and what I've read of PSU, there's no reason to plan out your character. We'll all be flying blind for a while, but I don't expect there to be a way to completely ruin your character beyond playability. Besides, you get four to work with.

Earthsunderer
Aug 22, 2006, 04:56 PM
The only thing that will hinder your development for a while is money, as class-switching tends to become more and more expensive, as your class levels get higher.

This is not going to be such a big problem, I guess.

ShadowDragon28
Aug 22, 2006, 05:35 PM
I'd worry more about really mismatched clothes, and malformed-like facial feature selections.

I have seen some characters wear the clothes or have facial features/hair color/ that IMO, are so badly mismatched that they look like they steped off the short bus for "special people".

_Tek_
Aug 22, 2006, 05:56 PM
I wonder if the random character creator will be in the final version of the game.

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 22, 2006, 06:27 PM
about shadowdragon's problem, no need to worry, you can always get cosmetic surgery if you don't like the way you look, at least I think so.

Junker
Aug 22, 2006, 06:51 PM
You can?

ShadowDragon28
Aug 23, 2006, 04:32 AM
Wasn't refering to my characters i'm going to create. I was refering to thefact that with the
freedom to morph the face, and to mix different and clashing styles of clothing;
many PSU players will make very odd looking characters with very mismatched clothes. Which could be potentially harsh looking visually IMO.

For example of a fugly character: http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/1151/psubadcharacterrt4.jpg

Put the Harlequin hat on that character and he looks like a reject from an Insane Asylum...IMO.

Ashimayu
Aug 23, 2006, 08:34 AM
lol I Agree with ShadowDragon with the amount of people that cant wait to get on the game....they will most likely play with the face morph abit, give up and be deformed for the rest of their life

Not good for the eyes but hey, at least it makes the cool looking characters look even better lol