PDA

View Full Version : Online character names will not be unique.

linkzone
Aug 21, 2006, 06:57 AM
Hold the phone. *hands you a phone* Now on a different note. I just found this out. We wont have unique names online. Whats up with that? Takes away from making my character "unique". You can give me a million options for how my character looks but if I cant choose my own name thats not cool.

EtherForce
Aug 21, 2006, 07:03 AM
I believe that means two people can have the same name, just like in PSO.

KylePhoenix
Aug 21, 2006, 07:07 AM
That's pretty good news. More realistic in a way.

Dingo
Aug 21, 2006, 07:08 AM
Just have to try a little harder to make your character unique and come up with an original name. If names would be unique that would mean all the 12-year olds would be whining and complaining about some one already taking the name 'S3pH1|207H'.

linkzone
Aug 21, 2006, 08:28 AM
oh ok. So Ill still be able to make my own name. Good. Linkzone on the way.

tank1
Aug 21, 2006, 10:16 AM
Thank F**k for that because if the names where reserved id never get "Tank" as my name ingame.

Zorafim
Aug 21, 2006, 10:35 AM
Now I get to take up a hobby of calling out for Sephiroth and having twenty fanboys answer me.

Aphael
Aug 21, 2006, 10:38 AM
Maybe with the concept of RAbeasts now the Sephiroths will balance out with Vincents

Pseudo
Aug 21, 2006, 10:40 AM
You forget the 3 thousand Clouds and Sonics we will see running around.

And anybody calling themselves Naruto will get a Swift Kick up their Jaxxy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pseudo on 2006-08-21 08:41 ]</font>

Junker
Aug 21, 2006, 07:41 PM
I think it's better that way. I hate it when you want to be called something in an online game but some person you'll never meet already has that name. Technically, our names will be unique... unless everyone goes with stuff like Sephiroth and Link.

SephYuyX
Aug 22, 2006, 09:13 AM
Worst idea ever.

Ryna
Aug 22, 2006, 09:17 AM
On 2006-08-22 07:13, SephirothYuyX wrote:
Worst idea ever.

Would you care to elaborate on why you think it is the worst idea ever?

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 22, 2006, 09:25 AM
i think its great and you would too if all your names you had planned on were taken...theres nothing that pisses me off more then the window that pops up saying "name already taken"

SephYuyX
Aug 22, 2006, 09:27 AM
On 2006-08-22 07:17, Ryna wrote:

On 2006-08-22 07:13, SephirothYuyX wrote:
Worst idea ever.

Would you care to elaborate on why you think it is the worst idea ever?

Sans the fact that people do have unique names, that is not always the case. You can have the most unique name in the world and chances are there maybe someone else with that same idea in mind. If I found out that my name was taken I would be crushed, but id rather go use a diffrent name, rather than to be confused with someone else for my entire PSU career.

It could be done out of spite however; "I know person A likes this name, so im going to take it before he has a chance to register" I assume this was the pretense to not implement unique names.

However, in foresight there will be many clones of idiotic names, and there will be confusion, even if there are 'guild cards' to help seperate the fakes.

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 22, 2006, 09:30 AM
i mean yeah it sucks if theres a bunch of people running around with the same name but just like KylePhoenix said "More realistic in a way.", just like in real life alot of people have the same name, but as terms of andventureing and making a name for yourself it could be damn near impossible, you could have one of those 12 year olds running around with the same name making you look bad so yeah, im done ranting

Aphael
Aug 22, 2006, 09:36 AM
I don't really think the names will be so much an issue as all that. PSU doesn't seem the kind of game to end up like WoW or XI, where a single person on a server will get enough infamy for their name to even really matter. The fact you can server hop in PSU kind of lends itself to that. Seems you're more apt to make friends while playing and stay in contact with them this way, rather than having someone say "Oh sweet mercy, it's Jesus9! He da MAN! Let's party with that sucka!"

Granted, eventually there will probably be a few players to rise into the spotlight, but I'm fairly certain they'd have to be special enough by that point that it'd be hard to confuse them with someone else.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aphael on 2006-08-22 07:38 ]</font>

Junker
Aug 22, 2006, 12:13 PM
It's not that big of a deal, I'm sure everyone here can come up with a cool sounding original name.

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 22, 2006, 12:17 PM
eh oh well, im just relieived i can have the name that i want

Junker
Aug 22, 2006, 12:21 PM
Exactly.

PandaMasterX4
Aug 22, 2006, 12:26 PM
I'm changing the original names that I was gonna use =o

-Crokar-
Aug 22, 2006, 12:33 PM
im gonna use the same names for my psu characters that i did my pso characters. prolly only have 1 character for a while that be Crokar

Mewn
Aug 22, 2006, 12:34 PM
I like the naming system the way it is. The problem with having to have a unique name is that if a name is taken, people just use variations on it instead (Sephiroth666, xXSephirothXx etc. etc.) and it looks rather daft. I'm sure it'll be easy to distinguish between different characters with the same name, or maybe people could just be a bit more creative ;o

PandaMasterX4
Aug 22, 2006, 12:36 PM
Well in truth, the real world doesn't work with say one person being called chris, then all other people can't be called chris.

Junker
Aug 22, 2006, 12:37 PM
I know what you mean, I hate it when people have names with numbers and Xxxs in um... unless they're a Cast or something, which requires some... numbers... (Bob-0, Fred-X etc.).

_Tek_
Aug 22, 2006, 12:38 PM
names aren't unique in real life either, big deal.

-Crokar-
Aug 22, 2006, 12:38 PM
Jim# 265

Junker
Aug 22, 2006, 12:40 PM
Thats a Cast name right?

-Crokar-
Aug 22, 2006, 01:30 PM
no thats a newman's name

Jeral
Aug 22, 2006, 01:31 PM
Im gonna be called either Jeral or Warchild, which suits a cast you lot think?

vitius137
Aug 22, 2006, 01:54 PM
Jeral sounds like a cool cast name.

Junker
Aug 22, 2006, 03:33 PM
no thats a newman's name

O_O?

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 22, 2006, 06:03 PM
i already have a name for each of the 4 characters im making

Authenticate
Aug 22, 2006, 06:34 PM
You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are made of the same decaying matter as everyone else. Blah blah blah. Wish I could remember the rest.

Stop trying to be special and get in line, citizen. As far as I'm concerned you're all just NPCs with an attitude.

Junker
Aug 22, 2006, 06:49 PM
Not to mention free will.

ShinMaruku
Aug 22, 2006, 09:43 PM
I'll be unique I bet no body would use names like 50cent, Tommy Oliver,Earendil,ect!
Also if you indeed see Tommy Oliver screaming its mrophin time or 50cent running around its most likly me.

UniKoRn
Aug 22, 2006, 10:27 PM
I'm really glad that character names are not unique... it makes naming your character easier, without having to choose something you didn't really want just because everything you like is already taken.

Sev
Aug 23, 2006, 12:11 AM
I can only look at this as good news. Even if people all wanna be Sephiroth's or Inuyasha's I really don't give a damn as long as they don't suck at the game.

Junker
Aug 23, 2006, 02:37 PM
Good Point.

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 02:55 PM
the only bad thing is there are the certain names that are gonna be WAY to common, and we all know those certain names

Junker
Aug 23, 2006, 03:36 PM
I'm pretty sure we're not gonna get more than two copies of the same character in one lobby.

-Crokar-
Aug 23, 2006, 03:39 PM
i remember once on psox me and a few friends all made HUcasts with the same name and look and went into the lobby and just sat there in a semi circle. i think there was like 10 of us

Junker
Aug 23, 2006, 03:44 PM
haha, that must've been awesome.

HiKeRI
Aug 23, 2006, 10:59 PM
Man copies that dont even matters no more lol, even if its two copies, people might do... Sephiroth, Sepiroth, Seproth, Sepheroth etc etc or GokuSsj1, ssj2, ssj3, ssj4, GokuFusedwithVegeta Ssj4 lol...

ShinMaruku
Aug 23, 2006, 11:07 PM
It's 10% luck 20% skill 15% concentrated power of will 5% pleasure, 50% pain and 100% to show the effort to remember the name!

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 11:23 PM
little to over explained there but ok ^_^

Celethalion
Aug 24, 2006, 02:23 AM
I'm glad that the names aren't unique. Though I don't think it's too likely that other people will pick my names, it'll be nice for everybody else who want something like Nei.

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 24, 2006, 03:09 AM
A Sephiroth by any other name is still a Sephiroth. No point in making people be XSephirothX or Sephirothisapansy (he really is a pansy, at least in battle). Makes me wonder if people will get away with naming their character Ethan Weber or Magashi Renvolt. By the way, would something like C-HU-Sephiroth-286 be a good name for a Cast?

Saner
Aug 24, 2006, 04:01 AM
C-HU? what does the C stand for? or is it a reference to Chu Chu Rocket? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-08-24 02:01 ]</font>

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 24, 2006, 04:05 AM
Cast HUnter. ChuChu Rocket reference? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Haha...nope. But the naming style was inspired by the weapon names in Armored Core (like "MG-500" being a machinegun with 500 rounds). Though ChuChu Rocket would make a fun reference...

Oh yeah, behold my Cast army of Generic Clone Names!

C/HU-Naruto-098
C/FO-VIVI
C/RA-Dante08458

And here's my generic-name Beast army, just for the hell of it!

Seffiwoth
Fluffy Inuyasha

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2006-08-24 02:16 ]</font>

Saner
Aug 24, 2006, 04:13 AM
kewl. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

next week will be an exciting beginning for lots of full version media and info.

Jeral
Aug 24, 2006, 07:46 AM
On 2006-08-22 11:54, vitius137 wrote:
Jeral sounds like a cool cast name.

Allright, Ta http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Arias
Aug 24, 2006, 10:46 AM
It's a good thing. Surely cause I won't be the only one called Arias, and I get the game later than any of you >_>.

The new guild card system (forgot it's name XD, can anyone help me on thatone?) will search after the person, not the name

AxelgearVII
Aug 24, 2006, 11:57 AM
On 2006-08-21 04:57, linkzone wrote:
Hold the phone. *hands you a phone* Now on a different note. I just found this out. We wont have unique names online. Whats up with that? Takes away from making my character "unique". You can give me a million options for how my character looks but if I cant choose my own name thats not cool.

I dont understand this first post at all. Not unique? Are you saying that there's a function on PSU that doesnt allow 2 people to have the same name? That would make every name unique. Not "not unique"

Ryna
Aug 24, 2006, 12:37 PM
On 2006-08-24 09:57, AxelgearVIII wrote:
I dont understand this first post at all. Not unique? Are you saying that there's a function on PSU that doesnt allow 2 people to have the same name? That would make every name unique. Not "not unique"

"Names will not be unique". That means that two people can have the same name. For example, there could be two AxelGearVIII's.

Roken
Aug 24, 2006, 01:03 PM
Glad that names arent unique, but would you be able to use one word names such as "X" or is there a certain amount of letters you need to use before the name is valid ? For example do you 'need' 3 letters for the name your using to be valid o play with or not ?

Arias
Aug 24, 2006, 01:56 PM
To be honest, I found the 1-lettered names irritating >.> but then again, who am I!

Phaze37
Aug 24, 2006, 03:58 PM
I'm surprised that some people think that forcing people to use unique names is a good idea. You're entitled to your opinion but you should really give that some more thought. Some people take a good name, play for a day, and then never touch the game again. I feel pretty bad about taking the name Luthor in WoW and then quitting after level 23, because noone else will get to use that name again. It also makes people use really silly names, or add lots of annoying symbols to their name. It was necessary in WoW because you can message people directly using only their name, but it's simply not needed in PSU. By not forcing us to use unique names we can use normal looking names with normal looking text. My main PSO character is named Phaze. I'm glad I didn't have to change it to be =Phaze= or Phaze37 or anything like that.

id rather go use a diffrent name, rather than to be confused with someone else for my entire PSU career.

there will be confusion, even if there are 'guild cards' to help seperate the fakes.
I've never had a problem with multiple Phaze's running around causing confusion. You'll only have that problem if you use an unoriginal name. And if someone were to make a clone character just to ruin your reputation, he'd have to get that character up to your level or else people will know it's a fake from the low level. It may have been a minor problem in PSO since people could hack their way to the level they want but that probably won't be possible in PSU.

MoonSblaise
Aug 24, 2006, 04:01 PM
Great point about people swiping up good names and then not even using the character! As far as people going around the the same name goes... All the more reason to create a new name for yourself if you dislike that! ^_^ Hope people have a fun time doing so http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

AxelgearVII
Aug 24, 2006, 04:36 PM
On 2006-08-24 10:37, Ryna wrote:

On 2006-08-24 09:57, AxelgearVIII wrote:

"Names will not be unique". That means that two people can have the same name. For example, there could be two AxelGearVIII's.

o.o That's so simple that I overlooked it and thought he meant something else. How did this topic make it to 4 pages? >_>

Celethalion
Aug 25, 2006, 12:46 AM
I'm tempted to restrict myself to 4 letter names for old times sake. XD

I actually do plan on at least one character with a 4 letter name.
A Female Cast Ranger - Bryz
And yes... she will have those awesome long braids.

Kimil
Aug 25, 2006, 01:17 AM
As long As I can name one of my characters Kimil, I don't care who else does