PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying in Phantasy Star Universe: What's your opinion?

ShinMatsumoto
Aug 21, 2006, 03:29 PM
I'm a writer.

End of story. I enjoy writing, I enjoy scratching out random bits of nothing on a piece of paper that make for interesting scenes in my mind.

As such, whenever I'm playing an online game, I enjoy writing for my characters there as well.

However, this is harder to do than it seems...

The only game truly friendly to roleplaying that I've really seen is City of Heroes, and even then, only with a small group of people; the rest are complete idiots.

However, Phantasy Star Online (and by comparison, Phantasy Star Universe) has an advantage in this. It's already got a small population of players devoted to the game, and the population isn't that likely to grow due to an almost cult interest in the game. (Opinions, don't hang me on this please...)

I've been playing Online since Version 1. I've always loved the Phantasy Star series, and it seems that with Phantasy Star Universe, they'll doing one thing I wanted with Phantasy Star Online; introducing more backstory to make it easier to run a character.

I'll be roleplaying on PSU. I'll be running a character who has a personality, hates, likes, everything.

I want to ask. Who else is even remotely interested in this? Who else is going to have more than just an online avatar?

Saner
Aug 21, 2006, 03:38 PM
well ya roleplaying is what makes a RPG a truely fun RPG experience. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_beer.gif

others just play for substance and cheap internet cafe-mood interaction.

but ya you can be sure there will be roleplayers in PSU http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

phunk
Aug 21, 2006, 03:39 PM
Ye, PSU is an ideal game for this. Unlike other major MMOs, PSO & PSU cater to that casual aspect that roleplaying needs.

I'd be interested but it would have to be carried out in a guild I'd suppose. I've been in several of them on WoW, FFXI, SWG and L2 so it does have its share of fun.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phunk on 2006-08-21 13:42 ]</font>

Velocity_7
Aug 21, 2006, 03:41 PM
Role playing is anyone's choice; definitely not mine, and I'll respect others for doing so. However, if you do roleplay, please avoid forcing me to do anything unreasonable. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

_Tek_
Aug 21, 2006, 03:43 PM
roleplaying is actually quite fun.

but for me its more of an attitude to play with than an actual character with a background story.

Niki
Aug 21, 2006, 03:44 PM
I will definitely RP, at least to an extent. There's only so much you can do within the rules of the game, so to speak, but having a persona that helps you to be recognised amidst all your contemporaries gives flavour to the experience.

Hopefully some of the vets will be up for it as well.

White_Zephyr
I would like to try, as I say I would in all MMO type games, (which I never end up doing). I love writing too, but when it comes to playing, I prefer to play. I'm turned off to the idea by the awkwardness of it all. I would like to write a character backstory though. Out of game fiction is more my thing, it's more personal.

ShinMatsumoto
I tried on WoW. I really did.

But even on the roleplaying servers, at later levels your character is simply your equipment.

You can't roleplay well if that's the situation. PSO's always been different in this scenario. Your equipment isn't you in PSO. Let's face it, someone with 10-Star weapons can be as deadly (or more deadly) than someone with 12-Star Weapons if they know how to use them properly. That's what I LOVE about PSO. It's skill-based, NOT equipment-based.

This makes me feel a bit more hopeful. But without Teams, roleplaying might be a bit harder than expected... after all, nothing viciously slaughters the mood than an idiot running up and going "can i hv monie plz?" Any suggestions on, perhaps, some sort of tag that could identify someone as a roleplayer?

Or maybe just RP with the people here.

Hehe.

Edit: I don't intend to force anyone to roleplay. Hell, it's pretty tough to do that anyway, not everyone knows how to do it. I do respect people who don't roleplay and don't interfere in my roleplaying though. So we're still good. *thumbs up*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShinMatsumoto on 2006-08-21 13:48 ]</font>

mattdude
Aug 21, 2006, 03:46 PM
Rp is awsome

phunk
Aug 21, 2006, 03:51 PM
It would be difficult without teams but I'm sure the final build of PSU will have a decent enough friend's or contacts list to use.

So count me in.

Saner
Aug 21, 2006, 03:52 PM
On 2006-08-21 13:44, ShinMatsumoto wrote:
Any suggestions on, perhaps, some sort of tag that could identify someone as a roleplayer?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShinMatsumoto on 2006-08-21 13:48 ]</font>

roleplayers don't need tags to know who RPs. besides tags would conflict with the whole idea of RP because in your area of Roleplaying space, there is no "roleplayer and non-roleplayer", you simply are what you are. so tags would contradict more than help the community.

if people don't play along then obviously they are not RPers. it's a tough crowd when all kinds of people play these games.
but just share partner cards with respectable RPers online and that should do it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-08-21 13:54 ]</font>

ShadowDragon28
Aug 21, 2006, 03:53 PM
Shin, once I get online with PSU, I'll try to find you. I'm very interested in RP in PSU. I can write up a short backstory w/ a character description.

Hopefully there will be a way to type text into the Guardian Card thingy...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2006-08-21 13:54 ]</font>

phunk
Aug 21, 2006, 03:57 PM
On 2006-08-21 13:52, Saner wrote:

On 2006-08-21 13:44, ShinMatsumoto wrote:
Any suggestions on, perhaps, some sort of tag that could identify someone as a roleplayer?

roleplayers don't need tags to know who RPs. besides tags would conflict with the whole idea of RP because in your area of Roleplaying space, there is no "roleplayer and non-roleplayer", you simply are what you are. so tags would contradict more than help the community.

if people don't play along then obviously they are not RPers. it's a tough crowd when all kinds of people play these games.
but just share partner cards with respectable RPers online and that should do it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-08-21 13:54 ]</font>
Since there isn't a designated RP server, like WoW had, tags would be appropriate to a degree.

SWG had a system where you could flag up if you were a Roleplayer and weekly cantina events where roleplayers could meet up.

Maybe those interested can do something similar to this?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phunk on 2006-08-21 14:02 ]</font>

PandaMasterX4
Aug 21, 2006, 03:57 PM
People that go to the limit of (out of character) man i hate this mission blah blah. Those kinda people bother me.

I normally don't implement situations of my real life in the game. At least I try not to, but anyone who can describe me can usually just say, I AM that character.

ShinMatsumoto
Aug 21, 2006, 04:02 PM
I'm actually already writing.

I know it's a BIT cheesy, but...

Essentially, I always envisioned my Hunter, Arishima Shin, going down in the battle against Olga Flow. He gets infected by the D-Cells and in order to stop the progression of them, kills himself so that the cells won't be able to take him over and do the same to him that they did to Flowen.

I don't know how much time passes between then (PSO) and now (PSU), but a few hundred years later, a child is born to the Matsumoto family of the Gurhal Solar System. He is named "Shin."

I'm making a rough outline already. I know there's a fanfic area here, so I'll probably post it as it comes along.

But yeah, hopefully Guardian Cards will allow some text so I can at least put something down. ShadowDragon, I'll still use the moniker "Shin" since it's my general Phantasy Star character name. So I shouldn't be hard to find. He'll have long white-silver hair and probably wear a lot of black and red. Either way, we'll figure a way to meet each other, heh.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShinMatsumoto on 2006-08-21 14:04 ]</font>

White_Zephyr
Aug 21, 2006, 04:07 PM
I can't really RP, I won't ever be able to take it seriously. If someone came up to me in in EQ for example, all RP like, spewing: "Hail traveler, what land dost thou wish to traverse to?"... I'd just be sitting at my computer laughing and reply justportmefruitcakelol. It's depressing because as much as I want to get into it, I can't.

and as much as I want to fight with swords... LARPers make me wanna die laughing. So I never will lol...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: White_Zephyr on 2006-08-21 14:08 ]</font>

Saner
Aug 21, 2006, 04:10 PM
SWG had a system where you could flag up if you were a Roleplayer and weekly cantina events where roleplayers could meet up.

flags may attract bad attention or needless attention,

*a player notices flag is up and walks up to RPer*
"so, you're a RPer huh? can you explain why there are no day and night cycles and what monomates taste like?" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif *desire to smack*

of course you can blacklist but I think it's not the best solution since the entire culture/style of enjoying the game is split into two entirely different perspectives that constantly disagree with each other. so I dunno about flags. I can tell Sega won't bother going that route.

PandaMasterX4
Aug 21, 2006, 04:11 PM
On 2006-08-21 14:07, White_Zephyr wrote:
I can't really RP, I won't ever be able to take it seriously. If someone came up to me in in EQ for example, all RP like, spewing: "Hail traveler, what land dost thou wish to traverse to?"... I'd just be sitting at my computer laughing and reply justportmefruitcakelol. It's depressing because as much as I want to get into it, I can't.

and as much as I want to fight with swords... LARPers make me wanna die laughing. So I never will lol...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: White_Zephyr on 2006-08-21 14:08 ]</font>

yah lol those are the kinda people that scare me.

Xenofobia
Aug 21, 2006, 04:12 PM
I would love to roleplay. I roleplay Paper and pen games alot.

And maybe we can pick a server that we go to alot to
roleplay.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Xenofobia on 2006-08-21 14:13 ]</font>

ShinMatsumoto
Aug 21, 2006, 04:21 PM
Well, as far as a location to roleplay...

You've always got your room.

It's a personalized area for your character...

Only people you want to come in can come in...

It's already a situational area, perfect for roleplaying...

I don't see why the personal rooms won't be perfect for it, heh.

phunk
Aug 21, 2006, 04:23 PM
On 2006-08-21 14:10, Saner wrote:

flags may attract bad attention or needless attention,

*a player notices flag is up and walks up to RPer*
"so, you're a RPer huh? can you explain why there are no day and night cycles and what monomates taste like?" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif *desire to smack*

of course you can blacklist but I think it's not the best solution since the entire culture/style of enjoying the game is split into two entirely different perspectives that constantly disagree with each other. so I dunno about flags. I can tell Sega won't bother going that route.

Ye, Sega won't be putting in flags, wouldn't expect to see it from PSU.

A designated place and time, however, might do those who want to partake in Roleplaying justice. It worked in other games, can't see why it wouldn't here.

On 2006-08-21 14:11, PandaMasterX4 wrote:

Those people give roleplaying a bad name.

Eternal255
Aug 21, 2006, 04:23 PM
No.
In WoW, my PvP server would crash sometimes. So me and my guild would sometimes go to other servers if we were going to/ in the middle of an instance, and sometimes the server happened to be a RP server. Those people are sad, i do not enjoy playing with them, they take things too seriously....

mattdude
Aug 21, 2006, 04:27 PM
I played SWG that was a cool RP you have a BIo, and other things too

ShinMatsumoto
Aug 21, 2006, 04:33 PM
On 2006-08-21 14:23, phunk wrote:

On 2006-08-21 14:11, PandaMasterX4 wrote:

Those people give roleplaying a bad name.

Ugh. God yes they do...

There's a time and place for an accent. A character's more than an accent, they have feelings, they're hurt when insulted. It's like acting online. Easiest way I can describe it. You, for those moments, become the character on a much more massive stage.

Roleplaying isn't for everyone. It requires... well, I don't know what it requires. I just do it. Not to sound haughty or anything, but it's just... there for me.

If you're really interested Zephyr, I don't mind showing you the ups and downs about roleplaying. You may have had some bad experiences with it, but you have to remember that it's really just another way to have fun with the game. So I'll put that offer out to you and anyone else who really wants to learn how to roleplay.

But people who sit there sounding like a reject from Lord of the Rings aren't playing characters; they're playing copies. That's one of the reasons I LOVE PSO/PSU. It's not fantasy. It's space fantasy. And there is a difference. The difference between drawing three feet of steel and igniting a blade of pure energy is quite a lot in a roleplayer's mind, heh.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShinMatsumoto on 2006-08-21 14:34 ]</font>

phunk
Aug 21, 2006, 04:55 PM
Roleplaying requires creativity, your own creativity, not anyone elses. Hell, everyone plays a role. You could be in a meeting at work and act totally different from how you would with close friends.

Its just good fun =) and it adds an extra dimension to the game.

Shin, keep in contact with me yo', I'd love to join whatever you're going to put together on PSU.

PandaMasterX4
Aug 21, 2006, 04:55 PM
Examples of how I change my attitude when in a MMO.

Person starts to annoy me.

-_-; Remind me to cast level 10 Foie on you when we get back...

Then there is me in real life.

Person annoys me.

-_-; I'm either gonna hurt your right now or just drive off without you.

See?

SeraphZero
Aug 21, 2006, 05:29 PM
I've always quite liked the idea of roleplaying in RPG's... especially considering it was the original point of these genres of games. But it's become so badly sterotyped and scrutinized over the years that most people tend to stay well away from it... which is a shame.

Might not go with the entire character background in PSU (though i've done so in the past), but i'll definetely be adding some attitude and feeling to my characters to give them their own stand out personalities. Always a nice touch ^_^

Shin, i'd be well up for joining in with the whole RPing... keep me posted.

Emrald
Aug 21, 2006, 05:33 PM
Ha I'm trying to convince my clan to do this...glad I'm not the only one who likes to do it....hey shin....PM me....and we can talk about RPINg out of game to!

ANYONE who is interested in RPing IM me on my IMs or PM me

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: coolcat33333 on 2006-08-21 15:34 ]</font>

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 21, 2006, 05:59 PM
I dont' see any problems with it, I mean, I give my characters their own personalities, background stories, fighting styles, even their own theme songs. I feel like a nerd in front of my real life friends, at least you guys understand.

Sinue_v2
Aug 21, 2006, 06:05 PM
I've always loved the Phantasy Star series, and it seems that with Phantasy Star Universe, they'll doing one thing I wanted with Phantasy Star Online; introducing more backstory to make it easier to run a character.

I've always had a bit of an interest writing also, and I used to DM for my group on ocassion. From that, I would think that as a RPer - the open ended backstory to PSO would have been better to work with since it allows for more creativity. (though most just end up with the generic "Unknown/Dark/Moody/Unwilling Hero" bit) A solid backstory can give structure - but it restricts freedom IMO. So from the perspective of a writer, it would be a hinderance. The boon being, that even those unfamiliar with your character's personal story can at least relate to the events your character has been through (due to the structured storyline everyone gets by default)

As for me... no - I don't Role Play online. I make a character... a short backstory, add a bit of personality, and that's it. I don't actually carry through with the RP aspect. It's just something I do to make a bit of a stronger connection to my character. When you talk to ME online, you are talking to ME - not my character.

(Obvious exceptions in the case of joke characters)

Kupi
Aug 21, 2006, 06:34 PM
Personally, I enjoy RPing, and I'd jump at the chance to finally put Kupi (the character) in an actual player-run scene instead of limiting him to just my fanfics. PSU gives you plenty of great tools for it as well, what with those stylized text bubbles and cut-in chat in addition to more the more traditional style of emotes. Of course, I draw the line at letting it affect the actual gameplay (I refuse to have Kupi fight like he would in my fanfics... that is, hardly at all), or making it a "persistent" thing where you're RPing all the time, even among people who aren't. I mean, if you join some random party and try to stay in-character, you're just going to weird them out or turn them against you, as some people have already demonstrated. I'd definitely recommend coming up with a communication channel outside of the game for setting up RP sessions, as it'd be too awkward otherwise to broach the subject. Regardless, if such an organization takes form, I'll be happy to join in.

Garroway
Aug 21, 2006, 06:44 PM
It looks like there is going to be a decent Roleplaying population to start with afterall. I'm deffinately interested so if anybody formaly organizes something could someone PM me and let me know? I want to be a part of it.

PandaMasterX4
Aug 21, 2006, 06:59 PM
On 2006-08-21 16:34, Kupi wrote:
making it a "persistent" thing where you're RPing all the time, even among people who aren't. I mean, if you join some random party and try to stay in-character, you're just going to weird them out or turn them against you, as some people have already demonstrated. I'd definitely recommend coming up with a communication channel outside of the game for setting up RP sessions, as it'd be too awkward otherwise to broach the subject.

Those are the weirdos that I want to hurt.

Emrald
Aug 21, 2006, 07:09 PM
PSOWORLD SHOULD MAKE A RP THREAD! BETTER YET! I SAY WE ALL STAR A PSO OR PSU RP THREAD RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW!

ColonD
Aug 21, 2006, 07:17 PM
I'll be roleplaying, with all 4 characters planned. Even the one girl I plan to put 'ColonD' in the name of. And choosing weapons that suit their character.
It's not going to be serious, unless I run into another person whom is, then join in the fun.

And 3/4 of the characters are going to be like casual people in some sence, so they would be in character to some point, whilst around others.
However, ColonD: The Character. Is just going to be a bag of hampsters, if someone starts hitting on her/me.( Because she is based off me, and I'm sure they're aiming it at me. ) She will whip out the most confusing and scariest insults/threats.
All while using one of the 'happy' cut in chat faces, with a giggle at the end.

In any case: PM me also if you get a group set up? I might be a while in joining the online crew though.

Emrald
Aug 21, 2006, 07:19 PM
I'm glad to see I'm not the only nerd around for rping and backstories for my characters

Emrald
Aug 21, 2006, 07:23 PM
On 2006-08-21 17:17, ColonD wrote:
I'll be roleplaying, with all 4 characters planned. Even the one girl I plan to put 'ColonD' in the name of. And choosing weapons that suit their character.
It's not going to be serious, unless I run into another person whom is, then join in the fun.

And 3/4 of the characters are going to be like casual people in some sence, so they would be in character to some point, whilst around others.
However, ColonD: The Character. Is just going to be a bag of hampsters, if someone starts hitting on her/me.( Because she is based off me, and I'm sure they're aiming it at me. ) She will whip out the most confusing and scariest insults/threats.
All while using one of the 'happy' cut in chat faces, with a giggle at the end.

In any case: PM me also if you get a group set up? I might be a while in joining the online crew though.

THAT GIVES ME AN IDEA...WHY MAKE A GROUP WHEN WE COULD MAKE AN RPING CLAN!

Roffkaiser
Aug 21, 2006, 07:32 PM
Sucks that I will be playing on the 360 or else I would RP with you guys, anyone that is planning on rping on the 360, I would be more than happy to play with though http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

And coolcat33333.....stop the caps.

Emrald
Aug 21, 2006, 07:33 PM
I....I...I sowwie

Nisshoku
Aug 21, 2006, 07:39 PM
I RP on CoH, and I RPed on PSO. I plan on doing a bit of the same on PSU.

hypersaxon
Aug 21, 2006, 07:50 PM
All of my characters in Phantasy Star have a backstory. My main character, Saxon Vega, starts the game as a 22 year old rookie from Parum. He's always aspired to be a hero just like his mentor, Ethan Waber, who saved the universe years ago. In hopes of earning fortunes and fame, and lots of hot babes, Saxon joins the Guardians. Shortly thereafter, he teams up with his longtime friends xTestamentx and Eternal Wolf to make a living killing the vile monsters who roam the Gurhal System.

http://www.hypersaxon.com/saxonpsu/saxonpsu.png

Saxon is the kind of guy who doesn't delve too much into politics, and could care less about what goes on in Guardian Colony. As long as he gets some fat meseta, he could care less. With that said, he does acknowledge the importance of protecting the inhabitants of the Gurhal System from monsters. He fears nothing, as any Hunter would, and prefers close combat to attacking from a distance.

Saxon is typically a peaceful and caring person, but there are 5 things that Saxon cannot tolerate in this world:

1. Megid.
2. N00b Forces.
3. Hackers.
4. Whiny kids.
5. Anyone who names themselves Goku, Vegeta, Cloud, Tifa, Sephiroth, Optimus Prime, Gundam, etc.

Junker
Aug 21, 2006, 08:26 PM
Shin, I'm totally with you. I wish I could play an Online game where everyone just feels like they are their character. Whenever I make a new character I have a cool story and motivation for him or her as well. When I play PSU I'm definately gonna BE my character.

Roffkaiser
Aug 21, 2006, 08:43 PM
hypersaxon i think your character needs a new mentor sense this happens at the same time as the single player from what i understand(i hope i am right about this if not disregard) so ethan would be just like Vega

Roffkaiser
Aug 21, 2006, 08:44 PM
On 2006-08-21 18:43, Roffkaiser wrote:
hypersaxon i think your character needs a new mentor sense this happens at the same time as the single player from what i understand(i hope i am right about this if not disregard) so ethan would be just like Vega

As for rping...it hurts to be made fun of by the rebels in SWG....so mean with their "we are the good guys, lick my boots you nazi imperial!" mentality.

ColonD
Aug 21, 2006, 09:01 PM
I don't have personallitys set up, or some names, but I have four characters, that will be made in this order:

???, Korin
Human, male, in need of a first name. And as soon as I get enough Meseta,

???
Numan, male, in need of personality and name.

???
Cast, male, in need of name, and appearance.

Mutation: ColonD
Cast, female, still tweeking personallity.

Xenofobia
Aug 21, 2006, 09:18 PM
When the game comes out we could open a IRC channel for us RP's to gather at.

Junker
Aug 21, 2006, 09:18 PM
Wow... seems your whole setup needs some work.

All I know so far is I'm gonna have a Human child with Brown hair named Radish... because that name is awesome.
His personality is gonna be the sorta optimistic and somewhat cocky kid type.

Junker
Aug 21, 2006, 09:19 PM
Crap... I dont use IRC O_O.

Xenofobia
Aug 21, 2006, 09:21 PM
Well i can make a bad looking forum... or we can ask to have a littel corner on pso-world

Junker
Aug 21, 2006, 09:25 PM
Sounds good to me, it'd be sweet if this thing got organized... you know if we can't find a place, I'm sure we could use my home forum, we only have like 4 freakin members, it's more like a hangout. I could make a PSU Roleplay Faction HQ when PSU comes out, I'm pretty sure one of my friends who's a PS enthusiast would think its cool, he's another member of the forum.

Ashimayu
Aug 21, 2006, 09:30 PM
Personally I think RPing is a good thing, good way to keep you into the game and I always find it nice to stretch your mind creavitely.

Most of the time when I find myself engrossed in a game I can't stop myself from starting to do actvities related to the game for example Fan Art or writing a storyline for my character.

I always say when I'm gonna start playing a game that I will RP and its not that I give it up after awhile its just that it seemed as if hardly anyone does it that I retain my non-RPing style of gameplay again and RPing for me is a lost memory

I'm Sure RPing in PSU will Be Good and most likely better than in other MMO's with your own personal homes without the addition of flags or special names.

I'll will try to RP to the extent of my character having his own emotion and lifestyle ect. but i'll most likely play normal when teaming up with people non-RPing, it just causes drama and i can't be bothered with that

I Guess some people will say I won't be a good RPer because i wont go the full length but nevertheless Give Me a PM and i'll definently join you and i'll Give it a Good try http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Junker
Aug 21, 2006, 09:32 PM
What the balls, you have my face!

JasonWFD
Aug 21, 2006, 09:40 PM
The only game truly friendly to roleplaying that I've really seen is City of Heroes, and even then, only with a small group of people; the rest are complete idiots.

QFT. City of Heroes was made for that kind of thing, but there are always bad apples.

I might be interested in a group of PSOW'ers who add a little splash of role to their playing.

ColonD
Aug 21, 2006, 09:42 PM
Of course it needs work, I haven't gotten a chance to touch anything but screenshots and movies. I don't know what sort of history the whole place has. Besides, it's not like I've thought as hard as I want to about it. Maybe I'm waiting on inspiration, I really do that to much. >>

Junker
Aug 21, 2006, 09:44 PM
Right, it's not like us RPers really have that much to work with right now. I'm sure your characters will be awesome once you know the full setting and story and whatnot.

Xenofobia
Aug 21, 2006, 09:47 PM
i want to play singelplayer befor i make my char

Junker
Aug 21, 2006, 09:53 PM
I'm going Online as soon as I get it. I've been waiting for this for too long, Ethan Waber can wait a little longer.

PJ
Aug 21, 2006, 10:20 PM
I like backstories for characters, but I don't actually RP.

Ashura - Human
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g230/PJ_PSU/Ashuraicon.png

See, the relation between PSU and PSO is yet to be determined, but if it is in the same timeline, Ashura is a descendant of PJ. If not, it's a PJ of another timeline. Regardless.

He's 10 years old, and works on learning the ways of the Force... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif and by that, I mean the Force job http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif Actually, I don't think I have backstories for my PSU characters yet, not until I know about the online portion of the games, "Story." So only age and such http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Auran/Atalanta - Newman
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g230/PJ_PSU/Auranicon.png

If PSO -> PSU blah blah blah, related to Kirin, regardless, Maegora (however it's spelt) twin sister

She's a goth, "Life sucks >:C" type of kid. But a cute kind http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Gold - Beast
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g230/PJ_PSU/Goldicon.png

If PSO -> PSU, Gold is 1015 years old (Assuming this would be DF's next cycle http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif), if not, Gold is an alternate dimension Gold of PSO, and 15 years old. The reason he'd be 1015 is I make him in PSO have a disease that makes him unable to age, all cool and stuff right? Right? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif And his body just naturally changes into a beast type thing (Don't ask how, it's not supposed to be accurate!)

Silver - Beast
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g230/PJ_PSU/Silvericon.png

Gold's Twin brother, pretty much same stuff about Gold

Nevando - Android
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g230/PJ_PSU/Nevandoicon.png

Unrelated to PSO at all, thank god http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif Just a mysterious bot...!

When I get more knowing about the game, I'll actually get backstories

Fou
Aug 21, 2006, 10:29 PM
Same I havnt really done any rping but i write stories of my chars all the time usually cause i write alot of stories in my freetime when theres no games to play http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fou on 2006-08-21 20:31 ]</font>

ColonD
Aug 21, 2006, 11:35 PM
Shweet, pictures. Now I might recognise you if your on the same server.
And there will nothing to keep me from saying 'Heyo!'

Natrokos
Aug 22, 2006, 01:28 AM
I played some online games where they had a couple servers set aside for strict role playing, which is kinda cool but none of the games were able to transfer a char across servers. And since I doubt psu will do that i'm only going to rp with rl friends since i'm a bit self-soncious about char backstories.....Granted I won't be like 1 C4N PwN Y0U N00l3!!!!!!!!1 around strangers but I would play more casual.

ShinMatsumoto
Aug 22, 2006, 02:30 AM
I can obviously see the interest in this...

Alright. Here's the deal.

I think we should get a backstory worked out ahead of time, so that we can make roleplaying a bit easier when we actually all meet up.

I'll put up my AIM Address. You'll have to PM me with yours so I can add you to my list and allow contact, but I'd at least like to get a list of roleplayers and characters. I have Shin about half-developed. I need story information to do anything else, but he's about halfway ready.

As far as an RPing clan goes, a lot of it would depend on PSU's way of doing things. What ARE the Guardians? Hunters were pretty much little more than glorified mercenaries once you get down to it. Are the Guardians more than this? We'd need more information. But I can definitely do it. Hell, I can begin working a few things out for it. Anyone who wants to help in the creation of it, contact me via PM/AIM.

------------------------------

As far as a block... I have an idea. PSO World always chooses a block for every PSO game. When they choose this block, roleplayers take a lobby of that block. Example: Antares 8 is the PSO World block, Antares 8, Lobby 5 is the PSO World Roleplayers block. We could do this, or just get one close. Antares 8 is the PSO World Block, we take Antares 9. That way we stay close to PSO World, and still get a private area for roleplaying.

-------------------------------

This is good. Very good. I'm really lookin' forward to this, heh.

-------------------------------

Edit: Can't believe I forgot to post about Shin here...

Okay. Shin Matsumoto is 27 years old and a professional Guardian, specialized in Hunter training, though he does on occasion dabble in some Force knowledge. His parents are Yasuo Matsumoto (father), a one-fourth Newman, three-fourths human master swordsman with the Guardians who died three years prior to the start of PSU from natural causes, and Mariko Matsumoto (mother), a full human who serves mostly as a researcher and scientist on Photon Energy, and is a semi-adept Force as well. As such, Shin has HINTS of a Newman heritage. His ears are SLIGHTLY pointed, though not very big.

As far as his attitude goes, Shin is a smartass. His response to anything never helps the situation. I have no way to explain, so I'll simply make an example.

Ranger A: Is that a dragon?!
Shin: No, it's a little freakin' puppy who just wants to lick you and make you feel better! The hell do you THINK it is?!
Ranger A: Well I just...
Shin: Just shut up and shoot the damn thing! *charge*

Not very friendly. At least, not to people he can't trust. Combat is Shin's trust; someone who he can find won't shoot him in the back is at least worth more than a passing glance. However, opening his heart will be harder than it seems...

He's also quite a bit of a womanizer. However, he seems to simply take pleasure in the one-night stands, never wanting to remain close for very long.

--------------------------

As I said, not fully developed. I'll be working on that though. After all, I have two months.

Double Edit: In response to the AIM problem, I'll put up my MSN and YIM as well. Just please PM me before you add me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShinMatsumoto on 2006-08-22 01:29 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShinMatsumoto on 2006-08-22 01:30 ]</font>

Xenofobia
Aug 22, 2006, 03:25 AM
Hmm i dont have AIM http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Fironial
Aug 22, 2006, 03:45 AM
Actually, i'm coming over to PSU with a guild of roleplayers from Monster Hunter. It's an old guild that has been around since the beta days of the game and they are a fun group of people to be around. We already have fourms and a few talented writers. Our Guild Leader (and I use that term loosely, as he dosn't claim ownership for more than kicking out the bad apples that show up) is very friendly and supports any guild fiction done. He's very good at running the guild without claiming supreme power like in many guilds in FFXI/WoW/EQ/etc.

We have a nice little community going who gets together at weekly meetings to do all sorts of things. Some nights it's just to go on a killing spree, and other nights we try our best to hold roleplaying events based on a storyline we've been following for over a year now. Just about everybody in the guild is very mature so you won't get stupid comments often. Right now the guild is in a summer rut but if you want to stop by the fourms and see how the Monster Hunter section is handled and how everything is run... well you won't be disapointed.

The link is http://www.shatteredlegacy.com/MonsterHunter/Homepage.html

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fironial on 2006-08-22 01:48 ]</font>

ShinMatsumoto
Aug 22, 2006, 03:56 AM
Hmm... nicely done, but I prefer myself to make my own personal touch on a guild.

I know what you mean about the guild leader thing, I run the same way.

But an RP alliance can sometimes be more powerful than being in the same guild.

*shivers* Ooh, this is getting really. Really. Good.

Fironial
Aug 22, 2006, 04:02 AM
Alliances are just fine. We were supposed to ally with a European guild from MH, but that died when someone brought up the obvious fact that the servers weren't linked. We've also just had random people who aren't really affiliated with our guild stop by every once in awhile to roleplay.

If anything, stop by and say hi when the US version comes out.

ColonD
Aug 22, 2006, 04:31 AM
PM me for my MSN messanger and E-mail address.
Mind you, I do not like forwarded stuff or chainmail at all. ><

I've worked out the appearance of all my characters just now, and a hint of personallity. Some ideas for names have popped up. With my first full picture almost done, with the faces of my three guy characters.

Name: Kurehn Sei
Human, Male, 26

Personality: A little cheerful and likes good wit. He can be a good friend, but he has a short fuse when it comes to annoyance, and doesn't try to make friends that much. However, whilst working, and taking on big missions, he has a much more serious outlook, and is quick to blame himself. He'll joke about things afterwords though.

Story: Worked as a Tenora weapon designer, while not his dream job, he was quite fine with it. He had the knack when it came to acurate, and visually appealing gun type weapons, and did most of the work on those. And as an ironic bit, he is a terrible aim.
Upon the sudden disappearance of the Tenth cast, one that had been regarded, and unsurpassed as the most acurate one to be made, Kurehn was suspected as a kidnapper. To make things worse, he was also happy co-workers with said cast, and knew him well. With no proof of being the one whom took off with the cast, he was fired.
He had the curious thought of becoming a Guardian, and did so, though with slight trouble do to being a past high-profile kidnapper suspect. In the end, he just barely made to being a Guardian, and trys hard to prove to be good. Also seeks to find said cast, and maybe bring the culprit to justice.

Appearance:
Shoulder length flat brown hair.
Brown eyes
Glasses (Can't see all that well far-away. Partially explains bad aim.)
Not that muscular, but still thin, as his job was basically sitting and drawing.

Thats my main character for you. I'll make my other two sometime else. I'm going to balance him out, and I think before I do any storys, I'll work out some kind of journal.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ColonD on 2006-08-22 02:35 ]</font>

Jeral
Aug 22, 2006, 04:31 AM
Ive played 14 MMORPGs and im only 16 yr old ¬¬ not once have I roleplayed but I've allways thought of giving it a blast, Im game for it if a few others are http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Johan_Bryant
Aug 22, 2006, 07:26 AM
Long time lurker, but I finally decided to get a name here. Admittedly, the idea of RPing is quite nice. Of course, at the same time, it feels quite odd to do it in an MMORPG. Admittedly, I've done text based types(MUSHs), but.... huh, I'd be interested.

Junker
Aug 22, 2006, 01:19 PM
If anything, RPing seems the most appropriate in an MMO-ROLE PLAYING-G.

Aion_Clyuve
Aug 22, 2006, 01:28 PM
I'll be RPing for sure. I love RPing, online, pencil and paper, everything.

Kupi
Aug 22, 2006, 01:49 PM
While it's great that everyone's so enthusiastic about developing characters and backstories, I'd like to point out that we know next to nothing of the source material thus far. We're still questioning the nature of the Guardians, for cryin' out loud! Personally, I think we should wait until we have a better view of the canon before we make any kind of binding statements. I mean, I just recently found that I'd been using the wrong plural of "Newman". Turns out it really is "Newmans", rather than "Newmen".

Saner
Aug 22, 2006, 02:06 PM
ya we'll have all of September to study PSU's complete story mode. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Junker
Aug 22, 2006, 03:14 PM
Until we leanr more, I'm goin with this for my character.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Junker2480/RadishCharSheet.png

Pheromone
Aug 22, 2006, 03:18 PM
i'd roleplay, but I would probably not be so devoted as to write a fanfic.

ColonD
Aug 22, 2006, 03:32 PM
I also thought the changed it to 'Numans' in this one. ><

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ColonD on 2006-08-22 13:48 ]</font>

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 22, 2006, 03:43 PM
On 2006-08-22 01:45, Fironial wrote:
Actually, i'm coming over to PSU with a guild of roleplayers from Monster Hunter.

Wow, I can't believe some people actually tried to roleplay in that. I've NEVER seen roleplayers there. Hell the best I can do is...

"I've killed so many Khezu with them hunting parties. Are they all looking to make toilet plungers from their lips?"

"That Selfish Princess really needs to learn to take care of her pets. This is the third time this week I'm capturing a Rathalos for her!"

Saner
Aug 23, 2006, 08:40 AM
ya Monster Hunter is far too shallow in atmosphere. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Emrald
Aug 23, 2006, 10:40 AM
LOL....a good deep MMO can always have rps...but not monster hunter!

Fironial
Aug 23, 2006, 11:28 AM
Monster Hunter hasn't really been that restricting. Although after a year and a half (for me anyways) it has gotten a bit old. I didn't even start with MH to RP specificly but... it worked out and i've had fun. A game is only as fun as you make it, after all.

Really... the community I ended up with is just great. 90% of the people who play MH are rude or they cheat. I didn't end up meeting people in PSOBB who RPed so I can't say anything about that. After i'm done with the single player on PSU then I guess i'll see how the online community is with that.

Saner
Aug 23, 2006, 12:22 PM
well ya what can people expect from an online game that's has no fees.

all kinds of ppl jump in, including the terrible tikes with no allowance. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-08-23 10:23 ]</font>

Naes_Siwel
Aug 23, 2006, 12:22 PM
Ah cool I guess I wasn't the only one who wanted to make a backstory for my character as well as roleplay http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif. Anyway here's what I have so far for my character:

Name:Naes Siwel
Race: Human

History: Naes was original born and raised on Parum by his two parents Licec Siwel (father), and Valerie Siwel (mother).He graduated from the Guardians acadamy and decided to move to the guardians Colony to continue to be closer to his job. Like his father, He has a knack for fixing all sorts of electronics and like his grandfather he likes action of any kind, But has more of an intrest in lifeform research, learning about all kinds of organisms that exist in the ghrall (I know it's spelled wrong correct me please http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif ),system.

Personality: Naes is a kind and lighthearted person. He's really informative about certain things and sometimes curious even. He's close friends with a Beast (a friend of mines character profile I'm working on) he's know for as long as he's been on Parum. He is however somewhat clueless when it comes to girls.

If anything needs to be fixed, please let me know http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Naes_Siwel on 2006-08-23 10:23 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Naes_Siwel on 2006-08-27 23:30 ]</font>

Junker
Aug 23, 2006, 03:46 PM
I need some advice, if my characters real name is going to be Radish, but he goes by Rad, should I literally make his name Rad, or Radish?

Elvendar
Aug 23, 2006, 04:03 PM
Junker: I would name him Radish, personally.

I think roleplaying in PSU is a great idea. I'd be happy to roleplay if there was a dedicated group of roleplayers, even if it was just a few people out of the PSOW community http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Junker
Aug 23, 2006, 04:22 PM
Yea, I was thinking Radish sounded better...

But uhh, I seriously wanna do this role playing thing. We should set something up after the game comes out.

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 04:24 PM
heh i would role play ive never done it b4 it sounds kinda interesting..

Junker
Aug 23, 2006, 04:28 PM
It's awesome, trust me. Makes the story alot more enjoyable.

ShinMatsumoto
Aug 23, 2006, 04:29 PM
Kakashi: I'll be more than happy to show you the ropes of roleplaying. One thing I would advise is that if you're serious about it, go ahead and trim "txt" talk out of your speech pattern.

Remember, you don't -actually- say "b4" or "lol" in the real world. And if you do, it's sarcastic as hell. Essentially roleplaying is taking the world your avatar's in and adding some reality to it.

Radish: As far as setting up something goes... I've got a few plans. All I need is the time to implement them. If I can do this right, we'll have a fully cohesive unit together once the game starts.

Junker
Aug 23, 2006, 04:33 PM
Sounds cool, I'm sure you'll cook something awesome up. Until then I guess I'll work on... stuff or something.

It'll be awesome to RP with this Photon Arts now. Like our characters will use them as like, Signature techs and stuff. God it'll be sweet.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Junker on 2006-08-23 14:34 ]</font>

Ibuka
Aug 23, 2006, 04:37 PM
R.Ping is pretty cool. I do it from time to time and write stories. But for some reason i never could get into R.Ping on and Online RPG, Like when my friends asks me to R.P with them throught MSN or a fourm that's no problem. But when they ask me to r.p on PSO i look at them like there crazy and tell them why would i wanna R.P on an online game when i'm already playing online as my characters role of the games story?

lol I don't know why i can't get into R.P when im playing online games

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 04:37 PM
right well, im kinda the silent type of person when it comes to roleplaying then, like the character who like to just listen to what people are say, and inputs little kinda like....hm, kakashi maybe, dunno ill give it some more thought

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 04:38 PM
or maybe im like sephiroth, dont worry my name wont be sephiroth, theres already gonna be tomany of them....

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 04:40 PM
ive always thought roleplaing was stupid in chat rooms....thats y ive never done it.. but i can see role playing as your own character

Junker
Aug 23, 2006, 04:51 PM
I've roleplayed on Message Boards, Chatrooms, even SplitScreen Multiplayer on PSO with my bros and friends. I want to do it in an Online game, but I've never got the chance.

Xenofobia
Aug 23, 2006, 05:20 PM
Looks like there will be some people roleplay whit^^ im soo looking forward to it

Junker
Aug 23, 2006, 05:24 PM
Indeed, good times are inevitable.

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 06:03 PM
i will have this name im using on here and another, so if you want my other names im me, the little aim guy at the bottom of my post, or email me at [email protected] if you guys want to roleplay with me

Junker
Aug 23, 2006, 06:14 PM
Cool, I'll do that.

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 09:01 PM
i will give it a try i guess

Roken
Aug 23, 2006, 09:36 PM
I've RPed in chatrooms and message boards alike, thinking in an MMO, there'd be tons that RPed. After a few MMOs however, I could obviously see that wasnt the case, there were more probably in FFXI than the other few MMO's that I've played, however unless theer are more ways to express our own characters, I dont think it will be very popular. PSUs deep character customization however I think is a huge step in making RPing better known/accepted or even used.

Phaze37
Aug 23, 2006, 09:39 PM
I'll try to roleplay if I join a party where everyone else is roleplaying, but I recently got kicked out of a D&D group because I'm not very good at it. My dwarf cleric ended up just being me, and I coudn't do the whole fantasy-speak properly, and I felt like a renaissance-fair reject. But if I end up joining a roleplaying party I will at least try to roleplay. At least I can talk like a normal person since PSU isn't a fantasy RPG.

Roken
Aug 23, 2006, 09:46 PM
On 2006-08-23 19:39, Phaze37 wrote:
I felt like a renaissance-fair reject.

XD

ShinMatsumoto
Aug 23, 2006, 09:52 PM
Well, then we should get started with some organization.

First off, we need to start taking our ideas and condensing them into coherent plan. I'd like to begin this by taking ideas for a group name.

The name I've used with the guilds I've lead over the years is "Fireborn." However, that's generally for fantasy-based games... science fiction requires different attributes. Also, this is a team effort; it's not a situation where there's a specific leader, per say. So, anyone with a name for, at the minimum, the board I'll be making, post it here. If we decide to form it into a coherent guild, then we'll do so when it's necessary.

Also, I think the best plan is for a seperate board to be created for PSO World's roleplayers, since that will allot us much more room to do what must be done. One board won't do it, sorry guys. We'll need more divisions than we could get using PSO World's boards.

I think it's a good... second step actually, since this thread is in reality the first.

So. Let's get our brains whirling.

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 10:15 PM
my brain isnt working right now let me light one up and ill get back to you, lol

Phaze37
Aug 23, 2006, 10:20 PM
Are you making fun of me Kakashi? lol j/k it's all good...

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 10:26 PM
lmao how would that last sentance make fun of anyone, just love my weed

Phaze37
Aug 23, 2006, 10:34 PM
hahaha, it makes PSO feel much less repetitive doesn't it? Let's not let this get too far off topic though...

HiKeRI
Aug 23, 2006, 10:39 PM
If i make some clan or w/e i might name it "Kingdom of Airyglyph" (Main Guild or base) and sub members called "Black Brigade" (Sub) all from one of my fav game... Star Ocean <3 or maybe another one but w/e

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 10:42 PM
oh i had a clan of all casts and we called ourselve Demonic Killing Machines

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 10:43 PM
oh and to comment to phaze... it makes anything less repetative, and everrything more entertaining

HiKeRI
Aug 23, 2006, 10:45 PM
I want PvP on psu, but its a no no... lmao

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 10:47 PM
yeah theyve dissapointed just like the hair choices, i only like maybe 2 or 3 of them the rest of em suck....i wish just once that they would make sephiroth hair for custom characters in a game or hair like some anime characters you know...

HiKeRI
Aug 23, 2006, 10:52 PM
Yeah, them long hairs are cool, i still can't beleive no PvP thought, they couldof just made random places called Red zones or w/e that you can fight there.

HiKeRI
Aug 23, 2006, 10:53 PM
And no armors... i may go choose that cyborg guy class, because they get close to them, the clothes looks decent, but not what i expected.

Kupi
Aug 23, 2006, 11:11 PM
On 2006-08-23 20:26, Kakashi_Xero wrote:
lmao how would that last sentance make fun of anyone, just love my weed

It shows.

You and I are of one mind, Shin. Personally, I'd propose something simple and self-explanatory, such as the "Phantasy Star Universe Role-Playing Society" (PSURPS). Easy to abbreviate, easy to remember, lets outsiders know who and what we are quickly and easily, and doesn't tie us to any given message board, so we can allow people from other boards in if necessary. How about it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kupi on 2006-08-23 21:15 ]</font>

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 11:21 PM
i dont know if we wan it to get gigantic with too many people in it i know more people is better but, there should be a limit be we could have like where it branches off or something into other groups thats just me though....my thought no need to yell anyone

_EiN_
Aug 24, 2006, 12:40 AM
I have never role played in a game.... but it would be cool to role play a cast. Just imagine a niave cast who questions certain situations based on strange but widely understood word usage. I could only imagine the fustration of the other players.

lol http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

good times in the making....

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 24, 2006, 12:48 AM
like hk-47 from KOTOR

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 24, 2006, 02:10 AM
Question: Why is my race (Cast) named after actions commonly associated with magic and fishing rods, when at first organic meatbags were the only ones who used magic and we non-meatbags still have no need for fish?

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 24, 2006, 02:46 AM
lol, nice, well played.

ShinMatsumoto
Aug 24, 2006, 03:06 AM
Ironically, the first suggestion is the one that'll probably be the best.

The PSURPS is born.

I'll get right on the forum. I think ProBoards will do fine for this situation... at least until we can get something drastically better.

I'll try to get a futuristic theme going on it. Hmm... isn't there a PSO text option somewhere on PSO World? Though I think it's rather hard to read...

I'll post the forums when they're in a position to be considered "ready."

Edit: It took me two hours and staying up until 5 a.m., but... they're ready for at least introductory viewing. Send suggestions to my PM box there. The link's in my signature.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShinMatsumoto on 2006-08-24 02:58 ]</font>

Roken
Aug 24, 2006, 06:40 AM
For some reason I didnt think anyone would consider grouping up to RP from these boards, however I think its a good idea that everyones getting together and all before PSU comes out.

Good Job people

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 24, 2006, 07:07 AM
couldnt find it....

Roken
Aug 24, 2006, 11:11 AM
Its in Shin's sig.

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 24, 2006, 11:43 AM
im new to the boards so i dot know how to find stuff, sry....lol

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 24, 2006, 11:50 AM
i dont know how to post in it.....god i feel ignorent right now....thats what i get for still being up after 3 and a halfdays....

Roken
Aug 24, 2006, 12:45 PM
did you register to his boards ?

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 24, 2006, 12:52 PM
eh i dont think ill be on the boards yet, i dont feel like regestering for anything else right now

Arias
Aug 24, 2006, 02:56 PM
The only roleplaying I ever did was with my RAmarl and it was minimal... I gave her pink hair, Pink shield, Love Heart (pink hearts), Pink costume with pink shoes:P, I gave her Charge Repeaters (pink mechguns) and working on a pink sato....That was the only thing though

Kakashi_Xero
Sep 1, 2006, 03:11 AM
how do i add a picture to the website so you guys can get the bio of my character cause its on the picture as well

Dahilia
Sep 1, 2006, 01:09 PM
Nice! Thanks for making the RP forum, Shin. I'll send this to my friends.

Ruby-chan
Sep 1, 2006, 04:06 PM
You would do better to roleplay on a MUSH designed for that purpose then in PSO.

Atayin
Sep 1, 2006, 04:13 PM
Roleplaying for me always hinges on atmosphere. The PSU atmosphere certainly looks immersive enough to roleplay, but could be ruined by some of the idiots who play..

But, if I happened to be around some good RPers who were creative and interesting, then I could picture myself taking it seriously enough to join in. I guess it all depends, though.

Espada
Sep 1, 2006, 10:44 PM
I've done the RP thing on forums plenty of times (plenty of fun -excluding drama between members) but I've never really gotten around to seriously doing it in in an actual video game environment. I thought about it for City of Heroes/Villains, but that game is severely lacking in the emote department...which really hurts it for me (not to mention making me feel extremely dumb when I want to express something through body language but can't due to the extremely limited selection).

It already seems like PSU has much, much better variety of ways for characters to express themselves. That and those beautiful lobby cities make RPing in a *gasp* RPG seem like it could actually work. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I couldn't do RP in PSO because the story seemed disjointed half the time and I didn't feel that I knew enough about Pioneer and systems it came from to really build a decent history. But...PSU has a much stronger story so...maybe! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Kimil
Sep 1, 2006, 11:08 PM
I dunno, it just doesn't sit well with me at all

Kuzzle
Sep 2, 2006, 12:09 AM
Well, I'm all for RP, but... I'm getting the XBox 360 version, and I don't think it'll have much of a community. At least, not an RP-centered one, anyway. The voice thing... Well, I think it'd make RPing more difficult,(to some extent) but, if you pulled it off, I think it could be just as immersive.

About backstories... Well, I wrote one for my CoH character, but I only RPed in that maybe three times. So, basicly, I'm all for it, but I'm not that skilled, and the community probably won't really support it. But, if I end up grouping with people who RP, I'll do my best! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Espada
Sep 2, 2006, 11:59 AM
Yeah...I can imagine the RPing being a lil' rough through voice (especially if you've got people in the background). I can imagine that the voice chat would make it less likely for RPers to be found on 360.

Heeheehee. I've written backstories for several of my charries. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Only problem is...I did it in wordpad and I can't even fit them into the space COH provides for character histories.

Kichi
Sep 2, 2006, 12:13 PM
I would love to Roleplay with someone on PSU. That would truely be great. So yeah, when I get on, my name wikll be the same as it is here: Kichi.

Fleece
Sep 2, 2006, 01:20 PM
Im a Roleplayer by habit, when i go on games i make myself as the character and speak from the characters perspective. I hardly ever talk about things in RL when playing RPG's i just laugh about stuff in games and throw a few 'in jokes' around with my friends.

Wubbie
Sep 2, 2006, 08:52 PM
I keep myself in character, but I usually don't go in depth with my own backstory and such... Just not my thing...

I'll be happy to play with both RPers and Not RPers alike.

Emrald
Sep 2, 2006, 09:06 PM
I keep myself in character as well...When I play a female I act like a girl (yes I know i'm wierd) I have backstories for my characters since I wrote a lot of fanfic and I love to rp in a game and in text as well

Kuzzle
Sep 2, 2006, 09:32 PM
That brings up another dilemma... I wonder if the XBox 360 version will have the voice warping-type thing in it, like PSO did, but, hopefully, better. I mean, otherwise you'd be stuck with your normal voice. Which is OK, unless you wanted to RP a female character. You'd have to make it 100% clear, though, that you were a dude, or you might get some, uh... "unwanted attention". It would also allow females to play male characters, but, really, I don't see why they'd want to.

VanHalen
Sep 3, 2006, 02:23 AM
to role play will be awesome i do that sometimes with pso

Natrokos
Sep 3, 2006, 02:35 AM
On 2006-09-02 19:32, Kuzzle wrote:
It would also allow females to play male characters, but, really, I don't see why they'd want to.

Like you said, Rping purposes.

Kuzzle
Sep 3, 2006, 02:38 AM
Er... yeah. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif I'm dumb. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_dead.gif

(Edit: My original meaning was "Why would they want to roleplay as a dude? I don't know...", which, I know is kind of a... I don't remember the word, but "jackass-istic" shall have to do for now... Yeah, a "jackass-istic" thing to say. I just wasn't really thinking.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kuzzle on 2006-09-03 01:03 ]</font>

Nikita-Chan
Sep 3, 2006, 04:49 PM
YAY! I love RP, and would love to do RP in PSU .. IF.. i end up getting it. Yup yu.

Timothy
Sep 3, 2006, 05:53 PM
My friend melissa and I love doing Yaoi rp with delicious bishie <3

I remember our good time in PSO dreamcast so much good memories & fun.

Hope we gonna make it again on PSU :3

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Timothy on 2006-09-03 15:55 ]</font>

Johan_Bryant
Oct 7, 2006, 06:45 AM
http://home.no.net/seizui/images/johanbryant.jpg ( I commissioned an artist for the drawing)

Name: Johan Bryant
Function: SIGINT Agent
Quote: #1: "... I'd love nothing more than to throw you to the SEED and leave you to suffer a cold and lonely death. It's your turn. Oh, you already moved? That's too bad. Checkmate."
#2: "You are within my ten foot bubble. Back off, worm."
#3: "So, you're still alive. That just means that you haven't done something so stupid to get yourself killed. You're slacking, so get back to your life long dream, as short as it is, of an early grave. Chop chop."

Johan is a very pleasant to talk to sort of kid, if you don't mind his cold personality. In fact, no one knows how he got to the Guardians, as information is hidden even to the Guardians with the exception of who allowed it, and even he won't say why.

Johan always has a smile on his face, and despite of his pleasantries, he hides a very cold attitude towards people at large, and he has a huge prejudice against anyone mechanically enhanced, especially Casts.

He -hates- being touched or anyone being near him with the exception of those who he does not hate too much. Even then, he is wary. Should they touch him, he reacts violently.

I see him having a nice affinity with the Dark elements, especially Megid's infection status attack.

In truth, I mused at the idea of his mother being with the Allied Military, but I am not sure what has changed after PSU's off-line mode, so it's still up for air as to his backstory design. However, Johan is with the Guardians as to make sure they don't get out of hand with investigating something. He keeps his mother informed.

(His mother is a very kind, but so busy and swamped, he is trying to take the pressure off of her so that she'd have more time to play with him. His mother -wants- to spend more time, but her position makes it impossible... and being with the Allied Military is possibly a good explanation for his hatred of Casts.)

He has good leader skills, in a sense. He does not give people unnecessary orders(like shine his boots and all) since it is very unproductive.

His job position as a SIGINT, through his Machine Partner and some extra gadgets, he tracks the data on the landscape, monsters(and his allies without them knowing, that is under his secret data that goes to his mother), for a beastiary and landscape information(past and current events).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Johan_Bryant on 2006-10-07 04:51 ]</font>

Oji_Retta
Oct 7, 2006, 07:11 AM
I actually found a forum/board made for PSU RPers. I guess my ranting about RPing in this game got my friend to just set up a board. Its lackluster, but it gets the job done.

Here is the Link:

Phantasy Star Universe Roleplayers (http://www.freepowerboards.com/psurpers/portal.php)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Oji_Retta on 2006-10-07 05:16 ]</font>

Itoshi
Oct 7, 2006, 07:18 AM
I was thinking of Role Playing too. But I wouldn't take my PSO character from before.

Instead, Hayate, a beast, would fight against a similar foe that any hardcore PSO player would want to get rid of, a talented Hacker. This Hacker has removed his friends from the game, so Hayate must band with some new friends(My online party members in PSU)to stop him from bringing a new monster into the game that could destroy the server. During the game, Hayate will be classfied as a Hunter for his first 30-40 levels, and the go to Forhunter. When he changes, I plan on changing his clothes greatly.

Yes, and I do like .hack

Oji_Retta
Oct 7, 2006, 07:24 AM
I think there are quite a few people on these boards that like .hack

Ryogen
Oct 7, 2006, 09:23 AM
Becuase my first character is me, I will be acting like myself so I would be . . . myself. I don't know. I'll Roleplay once in a while.

Genobee
Oct 7, 2006, 01:54 PM
I remeber role playing on WoW and it was creepy. it was liek one step away from larping........

adamgnome104
Oct 7, 2006, 02:43 PM
It is one of my biggest pet peeves to have someone who roleplays with the most stereotypical, cliched, generic hero, mary sue type of character.

I like casual play too much to be overly obsessed and take it way too far with roleplaying, I can't stand it.

I just want to find more casual players who just want to play to beat up monsters and crap, not ones who think they're the damn hero of the game.

Moo2u
Oct 7, 2006, 03:19 PM
While it's very easy to make fun of role players, and I don't do it very often, it can be amuzing once in a while, if you're playing with people who are fun to roleplay with.

But usually, I get annoyed with keeping in character, and just want to play the game normally.

And by the way.... .hack stinks. Just my opinon.

Openget
Oct 7, 2006, 03:26 PM
The closest thing to roleplaying I did in PSO went like this:

"I AM A ROBOT! >:U"

"No your not, your a person sitting behind a computer."

zemog
Oct 7, 2006, 04:06 PM
Thanks for this post, because it gives me a good idea. I knew I would have multiple characters... One character was going to be an original creation based on personal tastes, however because of the advanced customization features I wanted to try to replicate 1 or 2 characters from other games. One of which being a classic PS character. I may roleplay that character. That would be quite interesting!

Running into a double of myself or two (which is sure to happen on this game for people who do this) will also be more insteresting this way http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Genobee
Oct 7, 2006, 04:07 PM
On 2006-10-07 13:19, Moo2u wrote:
While it's very easy to make fun of role players, and I don't do it very often, it can be amuzing once in a while, if you're playing with people who are fun to roleplay with.

But usually, I get annoyed with keeping in character, and just want to play the game normally.

Yes .HACK does suck. But if they actualy made adn MMo out of it. I would play it in a heart beat.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Oct 7, 2006, 04:11 PM
This topic is too long. I didn't read it. Roleplaying is stupid. Next!

Drown
Oct 7, 2006, 04:14 PM
On 2006-10-07 14:07, Genobee wrote:

Yes .HACK does suck. But if they actualy made adn MMo out of it. I would play it in a heart beat.

I would just like to say that I completely agree with Genobee on this one. Even if only for the fact that I owe him one from that "newbs on psu" post.

Genobee
Oct 7, 2006, 04:18 PM
On 2006-10-07 14:14, Drown wrote:

On 2006-10-07 14:07, Genobee wrote:

I would just like to say that I completely agree with Genobee on this one. Even if only for the fact that I owe him one from that "newbs on psu" post.

lol, well, the only thing I diddn't like about .hack was Who the hell give that much shit about a game? Even die hard WoW addicts don't care that much about WoW. Any normal person would be like. "O well sis you lost your character.... wanna go play gundbound?"

zemog
Oct 7, 2006, 04:45 PM
I'm role playing right now!

<- That's not what I look like, nor is it my name! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Zabot
Oct 7, 2006, 04:48 PM
now see i completely agree but only problem is the xbox 360 ver, its ganna be kinda gay to Role Play with your voice, i mean, i would totally do it, im a hard core Role Player, but i mean who else thinks that rp'in with voice chat would be kinda . . . weird

Kismet
Oct 7, 2006, 04:52 PM
People will be roleplaying, but that really does make the game all the more fun. I plan on having one of my characters reflect my true personality, then I may have another who's fictionally a complete bitch and that everyone hates and is annoyed by. >=D

All the more reason to praise the Phantasy Star gods/goddesses for giving us 4 character creations for free. *Bows*

StanleyPain
Oct 7, 2006, 05:03 PM
Roleplaying is cool when it's done casually (I believe the term is "persona play"). I knew a few RPers in the old Dreamcast days of PSO and they just had fun with it. They're rules for their games were that you pretended to exist in the PSO universe (try not to go out of character), but they didn't care about how serious it was...in fact, if anything it was very self-referrential and satirical. That's cool. Serious roleplayers can, on occasion, though be creepy and annoying, sometimes both at once.

Natrokos
Oct 7, 2006, 05:48 PM
On 2006-10-07 11:54, Genobee wrote:
I remeber role playing on WoW and it was creepy. it was liek one step away from larping........

It's god-awful hard to roleplay with people who aren't fully interested or people you just met....I wouldn't really compare it to a larp though....

Genobee
Oct 7, 2006, 05:59 PM
On 2006-10-07 15:48, Natrokos wrote:

On 2006-10-07 11:54, Genobee wrote:

It's god-awful hard to roleplay with people who aren't fully interested or people you just met....I wouldn't really compare it to a larp though....

well most of time it would lead to cybering and then it went down hill from there........

Tystys
Oct 7, 2006, 06:08 PM
Eh, while PSU is a pretty good game for RPing, I'm not very into it. I might try it on for size one of these days, but not soon enough lol

Natrokos
Oct 7, 2006, 06:25 PM
On 2006-10-07 15:59, Genobee wrote:

well most of time it would lead to cybering and then it went down hill from there........

Gross. I kinda thought cybering was the bottom of the rping hill...I don't want to know what's downhill from that.

Zabot
Oct 7, 2006, 06:26 PM
does anyone still think that role playing with voice chat would be extremely weird??

Natrokos
Oct 7, 2006, 06:27 PM
^Not if you play D&D with the people you are voicechatting with.

TwilightSea
Oct 7, 2006, 06:33 PM
Here here! I too am a roleplayer, even though I want to roleplay, I feel it to be akward with a random group, not knowing if they roleplay or not. Let's not forget the morons who are anti-roleplaying and are in it only for the xp. >.<

Natrokos
Oct 7, 2006, 06:41 PM
What I hate is people who play rpgs but think that rping is moronic...Or people who rp half of a mission but then go out of character for the other half.

Genobee
Oct 7, 2006, 07:21 PM
On 2006-10-07 16:25, Natrokos wrote:

Gross. I kinda thought cybering was the bottom of the rping hill...I don't want to know what's downhill from that.

Yep there is. When you found out the fuckable elf you've been cybering with is realy a guy

Merumeru
Oct 7, 2006, 08:17 PM
XD im enough of a character myself, so rping, no thank you

now the guys pretending to be/roleplaying girls, THAT will be fun to see XD

Alisha
Oct 7, 2006, 10:26 PM
i dont mind casual roleplaying ive done some shoujo ai roleplay. but if i try to roleplay something to far removed from my own personality its a bit to hard for me. if i tried to roleplay like demi or a girl in distress that would be quite difficult whereas roleplaying someone like Alys,Lenneth or Aelia(<---all fighter girls that can take care of themselves) would come naturally. something that was annoying though is while i dont mind light roleplay first and formost im a gamer i kill things and enjoy it. im more of a supportive roleplayer but it annoys me if im with other roleplayers and they would just stop killling things or go off to the side to do something weird instead of going to the next room.

vg_geek86
Oct 7, 2006, 10:38 PM
On 2006-10-07 17:21, Genobee wrote:

Yep there is. When you found out the fuckable elf you've been cybering with is realy a guy

Mother of God...

Could be worse, could have been a chick you met at a club, took her home, started goin at it then found something bigger than you own under her skirt.

Natrokos
Oct 7, 2006, 10:43 PM
Put simply I won't rp with strangers...Like my mom always told me when i was younger.

Nuclearranger
Oct 7, 2006, 11:57 PM
I think roleplaying is cool .... at times

Alot of the time I think I would just like to get to know the person

Genobee
Oct 8, 2006, 01:00 AM
On 2006-10-07 20:38, vg_geek86 wrote:

On 2006-10-07 17:21, Genobee wrote:

Mother of God...

Could be worse, could have been a chick you met at a club, took her home, started goin at it then found something bigger than you own under her skirt.

Thats bad?

Animosity
Oct 8, 2006, 01:15 AM
let me get this right... you write a story about your characters.... um your a fucken nerd(sorry about the profanity but it was needed)

ghaleonreborn
Oct 8, 2006, 03:13 AM
Hey i take a stab at this one....im not a nerd because i like to roleplay...i think role playing is cool and all and it would be pretty cool to roleplay with voice chat...you are excused for calling others nerds but i wont be so damn easy on you if your playing with me!!! shame on you to call us nerds...gawsh what kind of gamer wouldnt like to run you over with a truck filled with maple syrup!!! yummy!!! ^_^

Kent
Oct 8, 2006, 03:24 AM
On 2006-10-07 23:15, Animosity wrote:
let me get this right... you write a story about your characters.... um your a fucken nerd(sorry about the profanity but it was needed)

...The profanity wasn't needed. Better judgment on your part is needed, though (among other things, no doubt...).

Anyway, I don't really mind light role-playing, and I can't exactly play the role of a character removed from my own personality. For the solution: I just don't try to not be myself.

However, people who are over-acting, and trying too hard, are just plain annoying, and if anything, people doing so on missions will prove to be nothing short of bothersome.

LocGaw
Oct 8, 2006, 09:05 AM
hmm...

Nothing wrong with RP as long as it is not forced upon you.

Many feel it enriches the exp.
For me, I don't although I like to copy some of my fav. heros and villans...

Ie. Raistlin,Strahd or Palin...

Zabot
Oct 8, 2006, 09:13 AM
dude who called everyone nerds, your a close minded fuck, and you need to grow up a bit buddy, ok. anyway, when i usually ropleplay, for some reason i get exhausted, lol, just talking different and using ( ) in order to talk out of character gets kind of annoying, but i do do it, lol, so i cant complain to much, peace

adamgnome104
Oct 8, 2006, 10:12 AM
Hahahaha, this conversation suddenly got very halirious!

"OMG NERD

LOL COSE MINDED

OMG U SUX

NO U"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: adamgnome104 on 2006-10-08 08:14 ]</font>

Genobee
Oct 8, 2006, 10:55 AM
I just think it's lame you need a story ontop of a story. Your already role playing why do you need to role play more? do you hate your self that much?

If you wanna RP play D20 or D&D belieave it or not those games where made for freeminded role playing.

I just don't get Rp over Rp.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Genobee on 2006-10-08 10:11 ]</font>

Emrald
Oct 8, 2006, 11:24 AM
I belive you go with the flow and mix part of you into part of your character and who they are and who you are...but mostly be you because you decide how they act XD

crazyrobot
Oct 8, 2006, 09:14 PM
awww lol I am just waiting to see someone in PSU with a charactor that looks like Naruto in a bright orange track suit running around screaming "Believe it!" and "Ninja! Ninja! Ninja!".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: crazyrobot on 2006-10-08 19:37 ]</font>

Merumeru
Oct 8, 2006, 09:40 PM
XD haha this topic is making me interested in RPing again, itd be nice to relive my days in AOL ArtsAndEntertainment RP rooms once again

though im way too lazy to read the backstory of the PS universe or write a crappy bio and backstory nobody will care about reading XD

Ffuzzy-Logik
Oct 8, 2006, 09:46 PM
On 2006-10-08 08:12, adamgnome104 wrote:
Hahahaha, this conversation suddenly got very halirious!

"OMG NERD

LOL COSE MINDED

OMG U SUX

NO U"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: adamgnome104 on 2006-10-08 08:14 ]</font>
Well, that's PSOW in a nutshell.

Natrokos
Oct 8, 2006, 10:34 PM
On 2006-10-07 23:15, Animosity wrote:

You are playing an 'ahem' Online Rpg about different alien races (and robots) fighting monsters and casting spells....IN THE FUTURE! On top of that it's done almost like an anime and you can raise a kidlike robot to fight beside you.....God forbid you take it one step further by having a backstory for your characters...Do you have a hobby that you read or write about? Do listen to any music and take the time to know the members in the band?

Some of us here are nerds/dorks/whatever and we don't give a damn because we can have fun doing whatever the hell we want and not feel embarrassed/weird about doing it. Your statement is completely moronic....You don't even have a basis for your argument, just a flawed statement by a guy who thinks he's somehow better then rpers because he doesn't have a backstory....Nice.

I don't care if you don't like to roleplay or have a backstory but don't criticize people who do just because you don't personally enjoy it.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Oct 8, 2006, 10:46 PM
My characters all have a backstory.

One day I logged on and decided to create a new character. The end.

Kent
Oct 8, 2006, 10:48 PM
Oh, here's my favorite character backstory: "One day, I logged on and decided to make a new character that uses only melee weaponry, because I'm a REAL MAN! ME SMASH!" The end.

Chronosv2
Oct 9, 2006, 09:09 AM
As is evident by a lot of my previous posts, I plan on RPing quite a lot. I love fleshing out a character and partaking in a fictional world with other people doing much the same thing. I've already got all the non-story bits planned out, too (why no story yet? I need to get through PSU Story Mode first...it's the backdrop of Network Mode).

happy_peanut
Oct 9, 2006, 09:14 AM
I plan to Roleplay also http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif adds better element to the game makes it more fun to http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

SephYuyX
Oct 9, 2006, 09:24 AM
bloodninja: Baby, I been havin a tough night so treat me nice aight?
BritneySpears14: Aight.
bloodninja: Slip out of those pants baby, yeah.
BritneySpears14: I slip out of my pants, just for you, bloodninja.
bloodninja: Oh yeah, aight. Aight, I put on my robe and wizard hat.
BritneySpears14: Oh, I like to play dress up.
bloodninja: Me too baby.
BritneySpears14: I kiss you softly on your chest.
bloodninja: I cast Lvl. 3 Eroticism. You turn into a real beautiful woman.
BritneySpears14: Hey...
bloodninja: I meditate to regain my mana, before casting Lvl. 8 Cock of the Infinite.
BritneySpears14: Funny I still don't see it.
bloodninja: I spend my mana reserves to cast Mighty F*ck of the Beyondness.
BritneySpears14: You are the worst cyber partner ever. This is ridiculous.
bloodninja: Don't f*ck with me bitch, I'm the mightiest sorcerer of the lands.
bloodninja: I steal yo soul and cast Lightning Lvl. 1,000,000 Your body explodes into a fine bloody mist, because you are only a Lvl. 2 Druid.
BritneySpears14: Don't ever message me again you piece of ****.
bloodninja: Robots are trying to drill my brain but my lightning shield inflicts DOA attack, leaving the robots as flaming piles of metal.
bloodninja: King Arthur congratulates me for destroying Dr. Robotnik's evil army of Robot Socialist Republics. The cold war ends. Reagan steals my accomplishments and makes like it was cause of him.
bloodninja: You still there baby? I think it's getting hard now.
bloodninja: Baby?

Katrina
Oct 9, 2006, 09:26 AM
On 2006-10-09 07:24, SephirothYuyX wrote:
bloodninja: I meditate to regain my mana, before casting Lvl. 8 Cock of the Infinite.
bloodninja: I steal yo soul and cast Lightning Lvl. 1,000,000 Your body explodes into a fine bloody mist, because you are only a Lvl. 2 Druid.
bloodninja: Robots are trying to drill my brain but my lightning shield inflicts DOA attack, leaving the robots as flaming piles of metal.
bloodninja: King Arthur congratulates me for destroying Dr. Robotnik's evil army of Robot Socialist Republics. The cold war ends. Reagan steals my accomplishments and makes like it was cause of him.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/twak.gif

happy_peanut
Oct 9, 2006, 09:28 AM

<.< >.> >< whas tha about.... O.o

RoboKy
Oct 9, 2006, 09:30 AM
I liked it, but if you see any carzy rpers the secret weapon is to do emotes on them. They hate it and run away or start swearing.

Diablohead
Oct 9, 2006, 11:38 AM
I like to roleplay now and again, there are times when I prefer to go level, grind or farm because im not in the full mood, but roleplaying helps improve alot of online games when done "well", key word there.

Pikku
Oct 9, 2006, 10:25 PM
I had my story since 1999 and it won't change... even though... they will be a few ajustments seeing that "My" Time Era is like 5000 years before PSU has taken place...
Hm... maybe a Decendant...? Reincanation...?
I'll think of something...
(Btw I may be new to the Forums but I've been to this site for many many years now... finally decided to make an account here so hello everyone...)

EC_Subbie
Oct 9, 2006, 10:47 PM
Not my thing..but I find it funny when others do it. It's entertaining.

Genobee
Oct 10, 2006, 12:55 AM
all I got to say is.....

THUNDERBOLT

THUNDERBOLT

THUNDERBOLT

SLEET

SLEET

SLEET!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Genobee on 2006-10-09 22:55 ]</font>

Bleemo
Oct 10, 2006, 01:33 AM
http://www.outofmana.com/?itemid=4 - HAY GUYZ

In no way am I trying to ruin the mood by saying this or anywhut, I used to RP a lot myself quite some time ago.

When playing an MMORPG(Or ORPG in PSU's case), it's difficult to tell when a person is roleplaying and when they aren't unless they are deliberately speaking elvish or in some sort of uncommon accent that screams "Im'ma RPer!".

Because of this, it's sort of uncomfortable to know that the person you just met and had such a good time with was someone acting out a character. Take this scenario for example:

Male Player: "so ya u seem lik a kool person wuts ur name?"
Female Player: "Alicia Lightstar of the Silversabre Pact."
Male Player: "o... thas a kool name my names drew so u play otfen?"
Female Player: "If by play you mean quest, then yes."
Male Player: "koo koo so u got a b/f"
Female Player: "((Dude, I'm a guy RPing a female. What the hell is your problem?))"
** Male Player leaves the game. **

Wouldn't you feel sorry for the poor, poor individual who had just got his heart broken?

Anyway. I think RPing in PSU would be a fantastic idea for RPers alike with the ability to customize your character to no end, gigantumous lobbies, and your own personal rooms so you can prevent incidents like the link above from happening(*a-wink-a-wink*), though only within a small community. Otherwise it may be a little troublesome when playing with random players. Also, taking platform into consideration would also be a good idea. You can probably tell that the use of the voice chat feature in X360 will be more difficult to find an enviroment to RP in than the PC/PS2 servers.

Kaizah
Oct 10, 2006, 02:30 AM
Honestly, I've RPed to only a small extent in PSO for DC and I had fun. I guess it really depends on who you party with and if they're willing. But hell yea' put me down for it I'll try anything within reason once.

Chronosv2
Oct 10, 2006, 06:50 AM
On 2006-10-09 23:33, Bleemo wrote:

In no way am I trying to ruin the mood by saying this or anywhut, I used to RP a lot myself quite some time ago.

When playing an MMORPG(Or ORPG in PSU's case), it's difficult to tell when a person is roleplaying and when they aren't unless they are deliberately speaking elvish or in some sort of uncommon accent that screams "Im'ma RPer!".

Because of this, it's sort of uncomfortable to know that the person you just met and had such a good time with was someone acting out a character. Take this scenario for example:

Female Player: "((Dude, I'm a guy RPing a female. What the hell is your problem?))"

Wouldn't you feel sorry for the poor, poor individual who had just got his heart broken?

Anyway. I think RPing in PSU would be a fantastic idea for RPers alike with the ability to customize your character to no end, gigantumous lobbies, and your own personal rooms so you can prevent incidents like the link above from happening(*a-wink-a-wink*), though only within a small community. Otherwise it may be a little troublesome when playing with random players. Also, taking platform into consideration would also be a good idea. You can probably tell that the use of the voice chat feature in X360 will be more difficult to find an enviroment to RP in than the PC/PS2 servers.

Actually, I can't say that I would. It's unfortunate, but just as RPers understand there are going to be gamers, gamers need to understand that there are going to be RPers--and both should respect each other. It seems in MMO/O RPGs that the RPer is the bad guy--people don't care to roleplay in a game where one-letter words (which aren't a part of the English language anyway) are king.

And, at least to me, "Female Player: "If by play you mean quest, then yes." seems rather obvious to me that this person is RPing.

Just my $0.02, though--take it with a grain of salt. These are my opinions and nothing more.

Ryo_Hayasa
Oct 10, 2006, 08:12 AM
On 2006-10-09 07:28, happy_peanut wrote:

<.< >.> >< whas tha about.... O.o

that's one of the top 100 IRC qoutes from "Bash.org"

Funny stuff, though doesn't represent what RP is about.

I'm on Bash.org for two qoutes that i know of XP

Pikku
Oct 10, 2006, 08:51 AM
On 2006-10-09 23:33, Bleemo wrote:

Well think of this, if it's a stranger you don't know that you randomly talk to on the game. After like seeing them 2 or 3 times do you get "Heart Broken" if it's a guy? I mean yeah if the person you've been playing with RP like 100% of the time that you lets say know for months or years and you then find out it's a guy... then I see where you're going. But that's the only time an RPer "COULD" turn out to be a bad guy for luring someone like that without saying.
But yeah.
(Btw I'm going to be a Male playing a Male Character so this don't really consern me ><)

Bleemo
Oct 10, 2006, 09:32 AM
On 2006-10-10 06:51, Pikku wrote:

Well think of this, if it's a stranger you don't know that you randomly talk to on the game. After like seeing them 2 or 3 times do you get "Heart Broken" if it's a guy? I mean yeah if the person you've been playing with RP like 100% of the time that you lets say know for months or years and you then find out it's a guy... then I see where you're going. But that's the only time an RPer "COULD" turn out to be a bad guy for luring someone like that without saying.
But yeah.
(Btw I'm going to be a Male playing a Male Character so this don't really consern me ><)

On 2006-10-10 04:50, Chronosv2 wrote:

Actually, I can't say that I would. It's unfortunate, but just as RPers understand there are going to be gamers, gamers need to understand that there are going to be RPers--and both should respect each other. It seems in MMO/O RPGs that the RPer is the bad guy--people don't care to roleplay in a game where one-letter words (which aren't a part of the English language anyway) are king.

And, at least to me, "Female Player: "If by play you mean quest, then yes." seems rather obvious to me that this person is RPing.

Just my $0.02, though--take it with a grain of salt. These are my opinions and nothing more.

Whoa-whoa, people seem to be misunderstanding that little skit, lol. Obviously no one will feel sorry for the tard Male Player, but the moral of the little skit was that people can get hurt if they don't know you're acting out a character. I made it obvious that Female Player was roleplaying, and made Male Player ignorant for laughs.

@Chronosv - You're right. RPers can RP anywhere they want to, they are players as well. They bought the game for their own reasons, and they can do what they want with the game. This can also be applied to complete fudgeholes who try their very best to make the game a creamy coating of fudge for everyone else. The question is: what is the correct mindset in terms of consideration?

It's kind of like someone praying to Allah in your Catholic church. Sure, it's nice to be able to pray wherever you want, but don't you think that it would be more considerate and safer for everyone if you did it with your own respective practitioneers? It's not that I'm hating on RPers or anything, I'm just trying to spark a healthy debate. And of course, my opinions are just fac---err, opinions as well. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/cat.gif

@Pikku - The real point is that before anyone gets hurt in any sort of expectation, I believe it would be wise to let your new associate know that you're RPing(It doesn't have to be everyone in the area, just the person who you seem to be making friends with.) so as to clear up any confusion. By doing this, you might also have potential of finding more friends to RP with. You can also tag each of your game titles with "RP" to attract other RPers, or other various things to get a small community going.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/donut.gif

Rejor11
Oct 10, 2006, 10:55 AM
I'll also be making the attempt to roleplay.

From what I've read of PSU, it seems to be a lot like the .hack games, as far as the combat style and the way it's set up. The way emotes and the chat system is set up seems like it'll be good for the whole roleplay thing.

In any case, I do hope I can do some fun roleplay on here. I just wish I had a partner who wouldn't mind roleplaying a character that complements my own character. I've yet to use him in an online game, but he's got a long history http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif He's actually in a story that I've been writing and posting up on my site.

I like how the CAST chars look though. Something about a tiny guy suddenly whipping out huge gatling cannons that are 5 times his size makes me go 'squee!'

I mean, really... I can imagine the wave of pain that must follow. Heh heh...

Pikku
Oct 10, 2006, 11:08 AM
On 2006-10-10 07:32, Bleemo wrote:

On 2006-10-10 06:51, Pikku wrote:

But yeah.

On 2006-10-10 04:50, Chronosv2 wrote:

Whoa-whoa, people seem to be misunderstanding that little skit, lol. Obviously no one will feel sorry for the tard Male Player, but the moral of the little skit was that people can get hurt if they don't know you're acting out a character. I made it obvious that Female Player was roleplaying, and made Male Player ignorant for laughs.

@Chronosv - You're right. RPers can RP anywhere they want to, they are players as well. They bought the game for their own reasons, and they can do what they want with the game. This can also be applied to complete fudgeholes who try their very best to make the game a creamy coating of fudge for everyone else. The question is: what is the correct mindset in terms of consideration?

It's kind of like someone praying to Allah in your Catholic church. Sure, it's nice to be able to pray wherever you want, but don't you think that it would be more considerate and safer for everyone if you did it with your own respective practitioneers? It's not that I'm hating on RPers or anything, I'm just trying to spark a healthy debate. And of course, my opinions are just fac---err, opinions as well. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/cat.gif

@Pikku - The real point is that before anyone gets hurt in any sort of expectation, I believe it would be wise to let your new associate know that you're RPing(It doesn't have to be everyone in the area, just the person who you seem to be making friends with.) so as to clear up any confusion. By doing this, you might also have potential of finding more friends to RP with. You can also tag each of your game titles with "RP" to attract other RPers, or other various things to get a small community going.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/donut.gif

Thats what I meant lol. If they were to become friends atleast let each other know if one is RPing or not...
Unless they want to be coldhearted and act out forever until its near the end to tell the poor soul...
There was (or is... not sure) one person on FFXI that acts like a girl. Before all of this when I talked to them for the 1st time told me they made the character and named them after their girlfriend and they just play with the girl character dedicated to her... about a month later I meet him in a new Linkshell and been acting like a girl the whole time all girly with the hehe and the http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif and what not...
O brushed it off and thought he was kidding but then Im hearing all of these guys wanting to do things for him or flirting with him and hes going on with it so I sent a private message saying "Um... youre a girl...?"
He then said "Yes.. I am"
Then I said "But... didnt you tell me long ago that this character was made and named after your girlfriend...?"
Then he said "Oh... I told you that...? Well yeah.. Im a guy but dont tell anyone please...?"
Types like that I find horrible though... because hes actually doing it on purpose it seems...

But hey... you know where Im going with this right...?

Rejor11
Oct 10, 2006, 11:13 AM
To each their own. Bet he gets more free items and stuff than you do though ^.^

Pikku
Oct 10, 2006, 11:36 AM
He does.. but he sometimes recreate characters losing tems making the fools to continue working with him.
If people are that dumb... let them be... I know Im not one of them...

Jarel
Oct 10, 2006, 11:38 AM
I have been burned by that aspect as well. They played off being a female, even led our SWG guild and then later I find out that its all a sham. This person isn't a bad person, however the trust was broken. Truth and honesty will make a game go over more smoothly.

I will try to RP when it is possible. I had a great guild in SWG, and I got to enjoy for the first time some good forum RP and game RP. I look foward to RP'ing with you guys soon!