PDA

View Full Version : 5 New Gameplay Videos on Gamespot.com

BaZ2
Aug 21, 2006, 08:05 PM
If anyone is intrested Gamespot.com just posted 5 new gameplay videos of Phantasy Star Universe. Link Here http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/phantasystariv/news.html?mode=all

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BaZ2 on 2006-08-21 18:18 ]</font>

BaZ2
Aug 21, 2006, 08:17 PM
Sorry link not working well try this one http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/phantasystariv/index.html then click all All Phantasy Star Universe Updates (14)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BaZ2 on 2006-08-21 18:19 ]</font>

Kyunji
Aug 21, 2006, 08:17 PM
Sweeeeeeet. One of them looks to be an English version of the intro video from the permiere disc that I downloaded. Thanks for the link (which, by the way, you need to take the [ /url ] out of).

Also, is it just me, or does Ethan's voice sound really, really exaggerated?

Ash1ey
Aug 21, 2006, 08:18 PM
Awesomeness, thanks for the link! VOices sound great imo.

*hopes this post works now, it failed the first three times...*

mattdude
Aug 21, 2006, 08:18 PM
what is the Permiere disc???? can i download it???

BaZ2
Aug 21, 2006, 08:20 PM
All I know is that this game was suppost to be on their weekly show On the Spot , but for some reason didn't make it so I bet it will be on this weeks thursday show and updates along the way of english version.

Ryna
Aug 21, 2006, 08:24 PM
On 2006-08-21 18:18, mattdude wrote:
what is the Permiere disc???? can i download it???

The Premiere Disc is a Japanese sampler. It contains limited offline and online content. Can you download it? Yes. Are you allowed to ask where? Nope. That would be against the forum rules.

Arrow203
Aug 21, 2006, 08:25 PM
Ok, i did play the closed beta, but i haven't heard much info on this Premiere disk, is it PS2 only?

mattdude
Aug 21, 2006, 08:27 PM
I keep thinking about why does the game have to come out october 24th, when the movies that BAZ2 showed from gamestop looked all ready done lol

mattdude
Aug 21, 2006, 08:28 PM
but whow knows maybe that is all they have gotten done for the english version

Ryna
Aug 21, 2006, 08:29 PM
On 2006-08-21 18:27, mattdude wrote:
I keep thinking about why does the game have to come out october 24th, when the movies that BAZ2 showed from gamestop looked all ready done lol

#1. There has been no official release date announced yet.

#2. IF the game is going to be released in October, you can expect that the English version would be very near completion.

mattdude
Aug 21, 2006, 08:30 PM
Oh so october 24th is'nt the official release date, so it acauley might come out in september.....(would'nt that be awsome)

BaZ2
Aug 21, 2006, 08:37 PM
The game is most likely in final beta form the reason they don't release it cause they wait for holiday sales.

Saner
Aug 21, 2006, 08:37 PM
ya a September 2006 release would be a shocking surprise. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Saner
Aug 21, 2006, 08:41 PM
On 2006-08-21 18:37, BaZ2 wrote:
The game is most likely in final beta form the reason they don't release it cause they wait for holiday sales.

but ya if they need time it'll most likely be released sometime in October.

but at least that gives as a whole month to study the story mode from the Japanese release coming this month! ya imagine all the story stuff we can learn during Sept. and stuff. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

BaZ2
Aug 21, 2006, 08:45 PM
Lol I rather just start playing the american version as soon as possible. I'm curious to see a side to side comparasion with the PS2,Xbox compared to pc and xbox 360.

mattdude
Aug 21, 2006, 08:46 PM
yeah, that would be awsome.....

BaZ2
Aug 21, 2006, 08:56 PM
Here is a new preview that was just posted as well http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/phantasystariv/news.html?sid=6156141&tag=recent_updates;title;0

Junker
Aug 21, 2006, 09:09 PM
I wonder if they're gonna do new voiceovers for the Online actions and grunts as well... I like the 1st voice on that chara-create thing, so I hope if they do, they have so good voices.

Parn
Aug 21, 2006, 09:11 PM
Something tells me we're going to see a simultaneous release for PSU on Xbox 360, PS2, and PC in the US. Also of note in that preview, it's interesting to read this:

"The visuals in the work-in-progress game we're trying out are looking uneven across the three platforms it's appearing on. The game looks most comfortable on the PlayStation 2, which is a good fit for the graphics on display. The game uses the angular art style seen in the PSO branch of the series and gets a lot of mileage out of few polygons. The catch to this is that the Xbox 360 and PC versions of the game could be prettier. To be fair, the PC game looks a good deal better than the PS2 game, thanks to a higher resolution. However, the Xbox 360 game is lacking that sparkle right now. The game relies a bit too much on assorted filters on the 360, which give the action a blurry look that's distracting. However, despite its low-poly characters, PSU tosses in a generous helping of special and particle effects to show off its unique world. The game's frame rate is generally stable, though it hitches when the action gets too hectic."

PrinceBrightstar
Aug 21, 2006, 09:13 PM
You're forgetting, they've gotta move out of the way for Wii and FFXII who are both coming out very soon. if they release now, PSU would be completely burried.

Junker
Aug 21, 2006, 09:13 PM
Wow, thats helpful, good thing I'm gettin it for the Ps2.

Junker
Aug 21, 2006, 09:34 PM
Good Point, although smarter gamers will get Wii for X-mas... that is... if they're young enough to still get expensive free stuff.

Kers
Aug 21, 2006, 10:11 PM
On 2006-08-21 18:56, BaZ2 wrote:
Here is a new preview that was just posted as well http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/phantasystariv/news.html?sid=6156141&tag=recent_updates;title;0

From the article pg. 2, first paragraph.

"So far we've seen the typical three PSO classes in the game: hunters, rangers, and forces... Rangers are a blend of the two, possessing solid melee skills but also having the ability to cast some technics..."

I lol'd

There's also a mention of mags and a synthesis shop. I'm thankful for PSOW http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Btw I enjoyed the videos, thank you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kers on 2006-08-21 20:15 ]</font>

PJ
Aug 21, 2006, 10:54 PM
I really love the english dubs... I have to say o_o

Just that opening with Pete and Ethan sold me, it was awesome

Black_Heart
Aug 21, 2006, 11:00 PM
Good stuff, its exciting just seeing the game in English for a change. I take back what I said in the other thread about the 360 release. Since gamespot already has a copy of the 360 version. I'm nearly positive PSU will release on PS2/PC/360 simultaneously. I also hope the release date gets pushed up so PSU won't have to compete with all the heavy hitters this holiday season.

Foxix
Aug 21, 2006, 11:26 PM
I really enjoyed the Ethan and Pete intro. I am honestly suprised at just how cinematic the cutscenes are, I am in love http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif but am I the only one that thinks Ethan sounds a little bit drunk?

But whats with gamespot's preview, do they even play the game before making an article on it? It is such an interesting game but leave it to gamespot to make a boring article and get some major facts wrong >_> god I am starting to hate them.

Hobokiller
Aug 21, 2006, 11:46 PM
Bah, you beat me to it hehe.

Black_Heart
Aug 21, 2006, 11:48 PM
On 2006-08-21 21:26, Foxix wrote:
but am I the only one that thinks Ethan sounds a little bit drunk?

I thought the same thing, he is slurring his lines a lot. Hopefully his VA doesn't sound like that for the entire game.

I went ahead and uploaded the first two videos to Youtube, for anyone who doesn't feel like registering with Gamespot, I'll upload the rest in a little bit most likely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yfdrb2DkMc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIV5Wc-oVPI

Inazuma
Aug 21, 2006, 11:57 PM
yay, thx a lot black heart. stupid gamespot doesnt like mailinator.

turtle323
Aug 22, 2006, 12:08 AM
Also from game spot the new information on psu. [quote]The visuals in the work-in-progress game we're trying out are looking uneven across the three platforms it's appearing on. The game looks most comfortable on the PlayStation 2, which is a good fit for the graphics on display. The game uses the angular art style seen in the PSO branch of the series and gets a lot of mileage out of few polygons. The catch to this is that the Xbox 360 and PC versions of the game could be prettier. To be fair, the PC game looks a good deal better than the PS2 game, thanks to a higher resolution. However, the Xbox 360 game is lacking that sparkle right now. The game relies a bit too much on assorted filters on the 360, which give the action a blurry look that's distracting. However, despite its low-poly characters, PSU tosses in a generous helping of special and particle effects to show off its unique world. The game's frame rate is generally stable, though it hitches when the action gets too hectic.

Is this bad news from xbox360 YAY here is the site http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/phantasystariv/news.html?sid=6156141&tag=topslot;action;1&page=2&q=

Hobokiller
Aug 22, 2006, 12:12 AM
Did anyone else besides me not really like Ethans voice that much? I liked Petes voice, just not really Ethans.

Black_Heart
Aug 22, 2006, 12:44 AM
On 2006-08-21 22:12, Hobokiller wrote:
Did anyone else besides me not really like Ethans voice that much? I liked Petes voice, just not really Ethans.

Ehh it was okay, good not great, but not that bad. That was just one scene, the starting scene which they no doubtedly recorded first. Sometimes VAs need a few days/weeks of recording before they really settle into the roles.

He may sound better in following cut scenes.

Ryudo
Aug 22, 2006, 04:22 AM
That first intro reminds me so much of Dragon Force xD

Dingo
Aug 22, 2006, 05:13 AM
Gamespot is always carefull not to pass judgement too soon in a preview of a game, but it seems to me that they're having some issues with PSU? Could be just me, but I don't want this game to disappoint.

Foxix
Aug 22, 2006, 05:17 AM
Seems like it, Dingo, it bugs me that they didn't really praise it... they are in the process of nit picking I tell you O_O.

From the way it sounds I am willing to bet they will knock it down a notch or two just because they got rid of mags.

Velocity_7
Aug 22, 2006, 07:22 AM
Widescreen resolution coming from Xbox 360 version? I hope the resolution carries over to the PC! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Saner
Aug 22, 2006, 08:28 AM
On 2006-08-22 03:13, Dingo wrote:
Gamespot is always carefull not to pass judgement too soon in a preview of a game, but it seems to me that they're having some issues with PSU? Could be just me, but I don't want this game to disappoint.

reviewers from places like Gamespot are too nitpicky for their own good. and another thing is they have a reputation for not getting some of their facts right. They really just can't sit down and enjoy a game without searching for reasons to not like it.
And places like Gamespot and IGN should take more responsibility for their previews and reviews and their thoughts about what is a pro and what is a con, because although not everyone is stupid enough to be influenced by their opinions, there are many who depend on them to determine their own decision.

There are many examples of reviews where Gamespot, IGN, magazines, etc. give a game a much lower or higher score than it deserves, so whatever they decide, just remember their final opinion is not absolute. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Aphael
Aug 22, 2006, 09:21 AM
They really just can't sit down and enjoy a game without searching for reasons to not like it.

They get paid to do that, actually.

The review sounded fair enough to me. What they say is, more or less, accurate if you take into account that preview disc and a few official press releases and trailers may be all they've seen of the game.

It seemed to me that they were less complaining about it than saying "There are some issues with this preview that will probably get fixed later. This IS a work in progress disc, afterall."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aphael on 2006-08-22 07:28 ]</font>

RoninJoku
Aug 22, 2006, 09:51 AM
If you ask me, by modern gaming "standards" their complaints are completely justified... Even I agree with many of them... Then again, I don't play games based on modern "standards"

As for the voice acting... I didn't like PETE at all... too girly! It reminded me of another particular VA that I've grown to disdain the sound of her voice... Ethan's however, I liked, due largely to the fact that I don't think I have ever heard that VA before-and his voice sounded entirely different than what I would expect for Ethan's sterotypical character type. His acting was pretty good too. (on a voice acting side-note, if I hear the VA that did Spike Spiegel ONE more time in a role other than that one, I will rip my ears off! >.<)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RurouniJoku on 2006-08-22 07:52 ]</font>

zandra117
Aug 22, 2006, 10:00 AM
I doubt they really looked that much at the game. They said rangers were combinations between forces and hunters. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Saner
Aug 22, 2006, 10:16 AM
On 2006-08-22 07:51, RurouniJoku wrote:

As for the voice acting... I didn't like PETE at all... too girly!

you thought PETE sounded too girly? well considering there is 'no confirmation' if PartnerMmachinerys can evolve into anything besides android girls, maybe Ethan will get a surprise later? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Junker
Aug 22, 2006, 12:35 PM
Haha, good point, that'd be hilariously awesome! As for Ethan's voice, I think it's the perfect English equivalent of his Japanese voice.

Inspektahdek
Aug 22, 2006, 12:39 PM
wow, thanks for the link, seems the EN version is coming along nicely

ShadowDragon28
Aug 22, 2006, 05:44 PM
For some reason, to me he sounded a little like Jason Scot Lee from "Dragon:The Bruce Lee Story".. And; any person would sound a little "off" after being abruptly being woken up too.

mattdude
Aug 22, 2006, 05:49 PM
Ethans voice sounded like some one from japan it was okay, not the best like in FF X and X-2 there voices were good they should of used tidus voice for ethan, and Pete.....(i thought it was a girl http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif lol) It sounds robotic tho so i think it will sound okay.

Foxix
Aug 22, 2006, 05:51 PM
"off" is not the same as drunk >_> but all in all I love the cinematics and the VA in general. That scene with Pete just sold me on the game.

mattdude
Aug 22, 2006, 05:55 PM
Yah it was AWSOME! but some of the thing i really didn't like but you no everyones opinion is going to be different

Authenticate
Aug 22, 2006, 06:22 PM
Pete sounds a little too feminine to have a male name sounding name. I don't know about you guys, but all the Petes I know are pretty gruff dudes.

Ethan's sister looks like a dork (don't know why I just noticed that now) and stands weird. Honestly, what girl now a days stands perfectly straight with her hands slightly tilted outwards? I never see people do that. Also, she looks like a frickin' farm girl.

Ethan sounds drunk.

Why did they make 3 movies full of nothing but text from NPCs? Are they trying to subliminally tell people the game is boring?

Those were all of my thoughts while watching those movies.

mattdude
Aug 22, 2006, 06:27 PM
Evan if they showed text, and the voices, that were kinda dissapointing, not that much I am still getting PSU http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Brus
Aug 22, 2006, 06:32 PM
For a sega game, I didnt think the voice acting was too bad at all. lest I remind you of Shining force III. "ITH THITH THE END?"

mattdude
Aug 22, 2006, 06:34 PM
Shining force never played it is it fun?

Junker
Aug 22, 2006, 06:39 PM
Tidus' voice was horrible. If you need a sample of the voices from Shining Force III go to Ytmnd and search Shining Force III.... and prepare to die.

Kupi
Aug 22, 2006, 07:07 PM
I love Ethan's voice. He sounds like such an airhead! I mean, I know it's supposed to be a bad thing, but it's fun to listen to.

mattdude
Aug 22, 2006, 07:08 PM
Tidus voice wasn't bad but let me think whos voice was good..........fine Clouds voice in FF 7 advent children

ShadowDragon28
Aug 22, 2006, 08:05 PM
The voices sound good IMO, I've watched anime for over 20 years, seen lot's of horribly dubbed Anime.

A few,small, Low-res, crappy online video clips can make things look terrible most of the time, and really do *not* do PSU justice. Playing the game is a different experience than watching low-quality video clips most of the time.

Though it is kind of lame to only record clips of Ethan chatting to NPC's and not record any monster battling. PSU is part RPG, so reading talk-text when the main character is chatting with a NPC is kind of a given.

Ethan'd sister is like 11 or something, and her mannerismd are very Anime-ish so they don't bother me at all.
She somewhat Japanese-ish as well, so she's *not* modeled after 9-11 American girls.
IMO, there's no need to bash her cutesy Anime-ish mannerisms. Such nitpicking is not needed IMO..really.

BaZ2
Aug 22, 2006, 10:05 PM
Voice sounded fine to me. I'm not crazy when comes to voice acting though as long as I can hear them speak im good with it.

mattdude
Aug 22, 2006, 10:13 PM
Yeah I agree with you, I really shoun't care, I mean hey Phantasy star series is coming along verry well, its amazing i mean from SGenisis, to DC on online, to GC, (kinda same features as DC) then to XBOX (never got to play this one) then to PC PSOBB, then to PC, PS2, and XBOX360 PSU!!, from what they started with, its amazing.

therealAERO
Aug 23, 2006, 06:12 AM
On 2006-08-21 22:08, turtle323 wrote:
Also from game spot the new information on psu. [quote]The visuals in the work-in-progress game we're trying out are looking uneven across the three platforms it's appearing on. The game looks most comfortable on the PlayStation 2, which is a good fit for the graphics on display. The game uses the angular art style seen in the PSO branch of the series and gets a lot of mileage out of few polygons. The catch to this is that the Xbox 360 and PC versions of the game could be prettier. To be fair, the PC game looks a good deal better than the PS2 game, thanks to a higher resolution. However, the Xbox 360 game is lacking that sparkle right now. The game relies a bit too much on assorted filters on the 360, which give the action a blurry look that's distracting. However, despite its low-poly characters, PSU tosses in a generous helping of special and particle effects to show off its unique world. The game's frame rate is generally stable, though it hitches when the action gets too hectic.

Is this bad news from xbox360 YAY here is the site http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/phantasystariv/news.html?sid=6156141&tag=topslot;action;1&page=2&q=

I don't care what they say, when I played it on my computer it looked simply astonishing!!

...that is all