PDA

View Full Version : PS2 vs. PC

PSUneedsMyau
Aug 22, 2006, 02:21 AM
I have a question and maybe someone who has had experience with more recent versions of PSO can help me out on this one. I own a PS2, but on my PC I have a 3.2Ghz/2GB Ram/2 Geforce GT7800 OC's (they are SLI'd). I'm trying to figure out which option would be the best for PSU, and I don't plan on buying an X-Box 260 that I won't play a year from now when the PS3 comes out. (:

Before anyone says obviously the PC is the best choice over PS2 if you have two vid cards working simultaneously as one GPU, I have to say that Half Life 2 and Quake 4 are "full frame rate" on my machine, and I stress the double quotes. Lots of timeslicing is given up to Windows, and I always notice those tiny off-syncs that remind me that I'm playing on a Windows machine and not a true console, so it tends to ruin the experience when you've so accustomed to it after years of playing games and also being a developer (I'm a programmer for my job, so I have to know this stuff...).

I owned PSO v1 for the Dreamcast back when it first came out (I've been a big fan of the Phantasy Star series since the SMS, so it was no surprise that I drooled when the first PSO game came out, and I just found out about PSU this last weekend). However, I played a PC version of PSO v1 later that had very minimal Direct X support that had a software limitation of only 30fps. I'm hoping Sega has stepped up the graphics performance on the PC games since then in the PSO series, but I wouldn't know b/c I dropped off whenever they shut down the Seganet servers on the DC and starting charging for the game. Speaking of which, does anyone have an idea what the monthly fees associated with this game will be?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PSUneedsMyau on 2006-08-22 00:23 ]</font>

Shadow_Wing
Aug 22, 2006, 02:50 AM
I say play the media you feel like playing, personally I don't care much for good looking games as much as I care for my own enjoyment and satisfaction out of a game.

Personally I'll be playing it on my laptop just for convience sake and I don't want to buy a network card for my PS2 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif;

SephYuyX
Aug 22, 2006, 09:06 AM
It would be a foolish mistake to buy this game on PS2 if you can get it on PC.

Jeral
Aug 22, 2006, 09:11 AM
PC Defiantly, Ps2's are a bloody waste of time these days now, Either wait for the 360 version and do your homework on the game till then like Im doing, Or get it for the PC imo, PC's will allways be a top choice for games cus you can upgrade it as games come out ect. Online wise anyways the best pcs ya can get cost a bloody bomb XD.

Anyone know when PSU will come out to test in europe ect for the pc? I wanna give it a bash before it comes out on Xbox 360.

VioletSkye
Aug 22, 2006, 10:30 AM
@PSUneedsMyau, turn Vertical Sync on and that will get rid of any "tears" you see on screen. I've built MANY SLI systems and Quake 4 has run beautifully on them. In fact the last SLI build I did, I ran Quake 4, PREY and F.E.A.R on for testing and everything ran smooth as silk.

Inazuma
Aug 22, 2006, 10:41 AM
your pc is more than enough to run psu very well. dont forget you can use any controller you want on the pc ver. buying it for ps2 would be a huge mistake.

Saner
Aug 22, 2006, 10:50 AM
so mean. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif saying "huge mistake" as if PS2 version looked like Tenchu 2. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

well if they can play it on PC and make it look better that's fine. but people are unfairly looking down on PS2. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif Reminds me of the PC vs. Xbox360 Wars regarding Oblivion's visuals/performance.

VioletSkye
Aug 22, 2006, 11:01 AM
On 2006-08-22 08:50, Saner wrote:
so mean. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif saying "huge mistake" as if PS2 version looked like Tenchu 2. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

well if they can play it on PC and make it look better that's fine. but people are unfairly looking down on PS2. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif Reminds me of the PC vs. Xbox360 Wars regarding Oblivion's visuals/performance.

Heh, it probably does seem like everyone is coming down on the PS2 version, but try to look at it from another perspective. I've always had the fastest most up to date pc hardware (as a system builder you need to be able to show off the latest and greatest) so over the years, I've come to appreciate just how far PC graphics have come. I'm also used to playing them in high resolutions 1600X1200 and up with everything maxed. Many others on these forums have also been playing pc games for years and have top of the line hardware and play in high resolutions with maxed settings as well and when you go back and look at console games, there is a huge difference in the quality of the image. If you are a hardcore pc gamer, then you are more likely to be a graphics whore, if you are mainly/strictly a console gamer, you probably haven't ever seen what you've been missing, so it doesn't mean as much to you.

With as many pc gamers as there are here, the graphics difference probably would bother them somewhat (althoguh I find the PS2 version to be very nice looking and I would personally have no issues playing that version.) So I guess what I'm saying is you have to consider the source when someone makes a negative remark against the PS2 version.

jinsuriki
Aug 25, 2006, 12:56 AM
umm, Question? will u be able to play the PS2 ver. of PSU on the PS3?

NightHour13
Aug 25, 2006, 01:12 AM
Nothing on that yet

kazuma56
Aug 25, 2006, 01:43 AM
On 2006-08-24 22:56, jinsuriki wrote:
umm, Question? will u be able to play the PS2 ver. of PSU on the PS3?

That's still undetermined, with the new PSN PS3 supposedly has, I'll ne surprised if I can still play FFXI on my PS3 in 3 months.

As for graphics, I've just started getting into "decent" PC gaming (as in playing games above 10fps and on decent graphics) and I'm just not "wowed" that much anymore, I played FEAR with max settings (bar resolution) and got some issues with the "soft shadows" effect but overall, with it on or not, the experience I got from the game was the same, I'm not saying it wasn't cool seeing how "real" stuff looked and it DID add to the atmosphere of the game, but in general, since I grew up as a console gamer it really hasn't been something that would sway me if I had the option between a PS3 or PC version of the same game at all.

The PS2 IS showing its age, but it still offers a form of entertainment that PC games (IMO) seem to lack, I don't know if its the control or the way things don't seem so "PCish" frame-wise, but I still enjoy playing games on my PS2 more so then on my PC of that same game (couldn't even finish Onimusha 3 on my PC but went through it like 3 times on my PS2).

As for which system i'll get PSU for... I'm not sure to be honest, If I go the PC route, i'm 100% certain that I WON'T be touching the offline mode seeing as I play many MMORPG's and online FPS games on it, and if I go the PS2 route, i'll definately finish the offline component BUT the inability to take screenshots is the main sway factor for me at this point.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kazuma56 on 2006-08-24 23:43 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Aug 25, 2006, 02:32 AM
It makes sence, because like Violet and a lot of the others here, I grew up on PC gaming. Well, I grew up on both consoles and PC's (and PC/Console hybrids like the TI/99-4A). I'm far too broke at the moment to afford even an outdated machine (PII 350 is beyond old at this point), so almost all my game playing now is excluisively on consoles.

As a result, I'm a bit picky. I don't mind if a game doesn't push a lot of polygons... I don't mind if it lacks some effects... that doesn't matter. What I demand is a razor crisp image high resolution image with true and vibrant color representation. That's why I was stoked about the Dreamcast supporting native VGA output - even though it wasn't HD, it still looked very crisp, clean, and sexy. IMO, the Dreamcast still has some of the best graphics of the generation - simply because the other companies didn't offer VGA support.

So yeah... if I had the cash, I'd get the PC version without a moment's hesitation.

jinsuriki
Aug 25, 2006, 08:39 AM
i see...well i sold my Ps2 along time ago and my Pc is not good so i was getting PS3 and wondered if it will work instead of buying another PS2

Oji_Retta
Aug 25, 2006, 09:42 AM
On 2006-08-25 06:39, jinsuriki wrote:
i see...well i sold my Ps2 along time ago and my Pc is not good so i was getting PS3 and wondered if it will work instead of buying another PS2

Maybe. If ST went by Sony's guideline (the one that ensures backwards compatability) when making the game, it should work on PS3. But I don't know if the PSN will mess up the online...probably not (hunch).

Shiwayari
Aug 26, 2006, 09:04 AM
i don't see why so many think the pc is so much better. personally if a game comes out for pc and ps2 i get it for ps2.
yeah sure the graphics are better on pc, but i don't see THAT much difference.. also i think psu is not a game where the graphics are very important.
what about gameplay? i think it is much more fun to play on a console instead of playing on the pc.
even when i play with a controller on the pc it still isn't as much fun as on the ps2.
i played pso on gc the whole time and it was so much fun. but once i got my hands on the pc version and it bored the hell out of me..

Emrald
Aug 26, 2006, 09:57 AM
On 2006-08-22 00:50, Shadow_Wing wrote:
I say play the media you feel like playing, personally I don't care much for good looking games as much as I care for my own enjoyment and satisfaction out of a game.

Here here

Fleece
Aug 26, 2006, 12:30 PM
On 2006-08-25 00:32, Sinue_v2 wrote:
It makes sence, because like Violet and a lot of the others here, I grew up on PC gaming. Well, I grew up on both consoles and PC's (and PC/Console hybrids like the TI/99-4A). I'm far too broke at the moment to afford even an outdated machine (PII 350 is beyond old at this point), so almost all my game playing now is excluisively on consoles.

As a result, I'm a bit picky. I don't mind if a game doesn't push a lot of polygons... I don't mind if it lacks some effects... that doesn't matter. What I demand is a razor crisp image high resolution image with true and vibrant color representation. That's why I was stoked about the Dreamcast supporting native VGA output - even though it wasn't HD, it still looked very crisp, clean, and sexy. IMO, the Dreamcast still has some of the best graphics of the generation - simply because the other companies didn't offer VGA support.

So yeah... if I had the cash, I'd get the PC version without a moment's hesitation.

Slot or Socket processor LOL if its a slot i can send you a P3 Slot at 650 MHZ if you want Lol.....we have shit loads where i work......I am aware that the p3 isnt SUPPOSED to work in his board....but we do get bored at work and see what we can get to work where..... Charity PC building FTW!!!!!