PDA

View Full Version : Cheating

Nuclearranger
Aug 22, 2006, 11:19 PM
They said it will be imposable. please dont say "YEA RIGHT NO Fing WAY"

1. they programed the entire game from day one with cheating in mind

2. they are useing Server side linking for those who have no idea what this is it means you will rarely see the data directly on you computer. Basical theres more to it though.

3. yea i know GG sucks but GG

4. MODS

5. new coding and the file names in PSU are compleatly incoharent.

mattdude
Aug 22, 2006, 11:23 PM
Iam glad that there i no cheating, now there wont be ppl that are doing stuff that is anoyying and trying to trick you to buy a good weapon

mattdude
Aug 22, 2006, 11:24 PM
that is acauley a weapon that is bad i mean from cheating players

Bleu
Aug 22, 2006, 11:25 PM
I for one to hope that the game will remain dupe/hax free for a good long time.

Though you should never underestimate the tenacity (or boredom) of some haxxors.

Time will tell.

Nuclearranger
Aug 22, 2006, 11:46 PM
Yea but looking at what i said and adding SERVER SIDE SAVES
it could very well be posable

mattdude
Aug 22, 2006, 11:51 PM
ah you could be right.... didn't spot that part

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 22, 2006, 11:57 PM
people are gay that play just to ruin the game for other people,..lost my train of thought........

beatrixkiddo
Aug 23, 2006, 12:03 AM
Not to be a downer but GG is entirely bypassable, and there's no way to fix the bypass I know of. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I'm just hoping the people who choose to play in such a manner don't play on the Japanese servers.

ColonD
Aug 23, 2006, 12:27 AM
But if you think about it, cheating may not be completely ridden of, it just makes it harder to.
And harder may mean, less of them. ^_^
And in any case, the more annoying players aren't always the cheaters.
But, still, less cheaters.

PhotonCat
Aug 23, 2006, 01:09 AM
Your dreaming if you think there is not gonna be any cheating at all. It's inevitable, there's always gonna be cheaters/hackers/dupers in online games.

How far they get and if it ends up being PSO DC all over again is entirley up to Sega. The reason PSO was hacked so bad is because Sega turned a blind eye.

Kyuu
Aug 23, 2006, 01:24 AM
Out of curiosity, have you ever made a non-negative post, PhotonCat?

Anyway, I believe that hacking is going to be much harder, and Sega will correct any programming loopholes that allow it to happen. Hacking is pretty much inevitable, but I don't think it'll be a big problem this time around.

Of course, that's merely my opinion. No way to know for sure until it's released.

Shadow_Wing
Aug 23, 2006, 01:43 AM
Well to my understanding most of the game will be emulated on their side, thus making it harder to hack the game or to just fool around with the actual code, which is similar understanding of many modern MMOs.

Of course there are always ways around these things however it does prevent the masses to just easily hack their way into the game. Also since most of it is also emulated on the server side they can just fix the problem on their end instead of player side updates to the base code.

Ibuka
Aug 23, 2006, 01:46 AM
Well at least A.R/Game Shark coders will be stopped at least... I hope...

Ffuzzy-Logik
Aug 23, 2006, 03:10 AM
PSOBB is "server-side" but still can be hacked a great deal. However, although claiming to be server-side, the only thing really done by the server deals with character data. The rest (like each individual game/party) actually runs client-side on the computer of whoever started the party. This means that is easy to hack the packets as they are coming and going from the client to the server.

However, PSU is supposedly truly server-side, which will reduce the ability to hack via packet-editing.

I expect that PSU will remain hack-free for a period, hopefully a whole year, but I do not doubt that it will eventually be cracked.

Ryudo
Aug 23, 2006, 05:37 AM
cheating will be possible I'm sure, but it'll require a hell of a lot more know-how than the gameshark kiddies on PSO

Dingo
Aug 23, 2006, 06:57 AM
I get so damn frustrated with these attention-deprived 16-year olds who measure their greateness by how bad and how fast they can ruin an online game. Cheating will undoubtedly happen on PSUPS2 and it sickens me.

zandra117
Aug 23, 2006, 08:05 AM
Extra reasons for the 360 version.

#6. Its on xbox live, xbox live has its own anti modchip system, you can only get on live with your modchip turned off or coldbooted softmods and that only limits you to clientside hacks.

#7. Its on its own isolated server, that keeps hacks from coming in from other consoles.

#8. No one has ever succesfully hacked through xbox live to change server side data around.

Legenden
Aug 23, 2006, 08:12 AM
Cheating will always be a problem with mmorpgs. they all have it even if the charachters are saved on server.
Cheaters will always look for some way to hack or abuse bugs in our games eighter to get an advantage or just for the enjoyment of destroying the game for others.

As I see it, the most common cheat in todays mmorpgs are botting witch thankfully won`t be so easy doing in PSU due to its free combat system..
But the Partner machinery part looks more possible to be abused in this way to create items, witch is the part I`m most worried about.

I dont mind offline cheating though.

Saner
Aug 23, 2006, 08:36 AM
cheaters never ruined my fun on PSO.

I think what's just as pathetic are people who are SO sensitive to cheating/duping, that at first glance they are like "cheaters! That's it I quit" and like sheep, go in the VERY direction cheaters want them to go, out of the game. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

tank1
Aug 23, 2006, 09:02 AM
Clearly Saner has never been noled or corrupted. My fun was severely ruined on PSO because of cheating i hope this time sega will have a proper game plan to deal with it.

uhawww
Aug 23, 2006, 09:39 AM
Cheating used to not bother me in PSO until the day I was Nol'd...
That change my entire perspective.

Hopefully, due to the server side nature of PSU, cheating will be isolated to insignificant hacks, ala FFXI's speed hack or altitude adjustment. The instanced nature of the gameplay minimizes the impact on the community at large, and SEGA has already setup the data in a way that it will take a long time before anything occurs (god forbid there's some major bug somewhere though, it's like in every MMORPG, out of the gate there's some item/currency bug).

Saner
Aug 23, 2006, 09:51 AM
On 2006-08-23 07:02, tank1 wrote:
Clearly Saner has never been noled or corrupted.

well I did get FSOD twice. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Pure-chan
Aug 23, 2006, 10:18 AM
On 2006-08-23 01:10, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:
PSOBB is "server-side" but still can be hacked a great deal. However, although claiming to be server-side, the only thing really done by the server deals with character data. The rest (like each individual game/party) actually runs client-side on the computer of whoever started the party. This means that is easy to hack the packets as they are coming and going from the client to the server.

However, PSU is supposedly truly server-side, which will reduce the ability to hack via packet-editing.

I expect that PSU will remain hack-free for a period, hopefully a whole year, but I do not doubt that it will eventually be cracked.

I was going to say the same thing. The possibility of packet editing still makes me uncomfortable to say the least.

I know most PSOer's aren't a big fan of hackers, but has anyone heard their take on the new security measures? I'm curious as to how PSU year 1 will play out (hopefully hack free).

SephYuyX
Aug 23, 2006, 10:24 AM
It wont matter regardless. All things are hacked over time, WoW and FFXI boasted to have the best protection, but today it's a different story.

So its not a question of if it will happen, its when will it happen and how will Sega deal with it.

Also, lets not forget about our lovely Chinese army of RMT, lets hope Sega has something in store for that one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SephirothYuyX on 2006-08-23 08:53 ]</font>

Arias
Aug 23, 2006, 10:26 AM
Your dreaming if you think there is not gonna be any cheating at all. It's inevitable, there's always gonna be cheaters/hackers/dupers in online games.

How far they get and if it ends up being PSO DC all over again is entirley up to Sega. The reason PSO was hacked so bad is because Sega turned a blind eye.

I do agree with this

Sega never expected PSO to last that long I think, that's why they didn't care too much about the hacking.
But (I hope) they learned about that and there will be measures made for it this time.

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 10:53 AM
they ruined my fun on pso for dreamcast,they would cheat to kill me in town and take my mag and my weapon and then they kill more people and then bolt to the next room....

Saner
Aug 23, 2006, 11:00 AM
On 2006-08-23 08:53, Kakashi_Xero wrote:
they ruined my fun on pso for dreamcast,they would cheat to kill me in town and take my mag and my weapon and then they kill more people and then bolt to the next room....

that's awful but PSO was in fact the first online RPG for consoles. and Sega's first try that was more of a test than a huge project.

but ya security is better now. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

zandra117
Aug 23, 2006, 11:01 AM
On 2006-08-23 08:24, SephirothYuyX wrote:
Also, lets not forget about our lovely Chinese army of RMT, lets hope Sega has something in store for that one.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SephirothYuyX on 2006-08-23 08:53 ]</font>

The chinese server is seperated from the us and uk servers, how would they get the in game money to us after we bought it online? problem solved.

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 11:04 AM
of coarse, and i knew that, and ive never looked back since i started playing it,but i was dissapointed when they closed the dreamcast servers while i was still playing on them only played online once on the gamecube and i didnt see any problems with cheating but that very well could have been because it was only one day, but i am looking forward to PSU greatly
(first online FPS for consoles was quake 3 areana)

SephYuyX
Aug 23, 2006, 11:07 AM
On 2006-08-23 09:01, zandra117 wrote:

The chinese server is seperated from the us and uk servers, how would they get the in game money to us after we bought it online? problem solved.

Forgive me for being vague and generic, but there are RMT here in the states as well.

CNN did a nice little article a few months back that, yes China has more, but there is quite a nice size of local RMTs.

Also, as we do with importing games, the Chinese arnt dumb, they buy american versions of the game, sign up with american credit cards and use those so they can get access to our servers. Lets not forget about proxys and spoofing too.

There is nothing that can stop the determined man.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SephirothYuyX on 2006-08-23 09:10 ]</font>

Earthsunderer
Aug 23, 2006, 11:10 AM
They (the afore-mentioned chinese RMT companies) would simply play and do their business on the us and eu servers, easy as that.

zandra117
Aug 23, 2006, 11:18 AM
But still, how would they control areas where they are getting all their in game money? all the battle areas are instanced so if there is a way to quickly gain large amounts of meseta everyone would be doing it, thus eliminating the purpose of RMT in PSU.

In order for RMT to work you have to find a way to gain large amounts of in game money in a short amount of time and at the same time keep other users from taking control of that resource so that they are forced to buy it from you.

Saner
Aug 23, 2006, 11:26 AM
RMT are the "virtual money-selling" scandals going on, right?

something like that seems understandable for the money starving FF11 players.

but for something like PSO and PSU, that would be kinda crazy paying real money for large amounts of virtual money quick. but I guess some are crazy enough to do it.

AngelLight
Aug 23, 2006, 11:31 AM
In order for RMT to work you have to find a way to gain large amounts of in game money in a short amount of time and at the same time keep other users from taking control of that resource so that they are forced to buy it from you.

....or just wait till the game community gets a larger population of lazy Twinks (or as I like to call them "They Who Punt Puppies In Their Spare Time") who dont want to go thru grinding or farming for their weapons and just want instant power, instant gratification, instantly. then you'll see an upswing in Mestra Farmers....

Earthsunderer
Aug 23, 2006, 11:40 AM
Guild Wars showed that "chinese" Real-Money-Trading companies (doesn't matter what nationality, actually, but that's beside the point) can make out money even from instanced-generated games. There just needs to be an item in the game which is hard enough to get, and those RMT companies will try their best to get their hands on those valued goods and sell for real money. It can be meseta, it can be that super ingredient for the grinding process, that rare unique item or whatever. They will try anything.

In Guild Wars, it was ecto-plasm, obsidian shards, 1000 platin pieces, black color for painting your armour black, that +30 life enhancement, or a rare-skin weapon with the inbuilt +30 life enhancement and another prefixes and stuff. People really payed real money for that stuff.

I don't know however what stuff they are paying for now in the new Guild Wars: Factions game, but I'm sure there is still some RMT-business going on.

Numnuttz
Aug 23, 2006, 11:42 AM
lol RMT, i wouldnt be surprised if there werent any. this is like any other online game were someone can acutally make money by playing this. all i can is if they do pop up i hope PvP is added so everyone can kill them before they start farming for their pay check.

Pure-chan
Aug 23, 2006, 11:48 AM

I don't see RMT'ers as being as much of a problem on PSU as they are on a full MMO, with a persistant map and non-consensual pvp. In a game like Ultima*, players were recently banned for gold farming by blocking off dungeons and killing off anyone that tried to enter:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6153678.html

In relation to an MMO, PSU allows for only 6 players to enter a world at one time, which should (hopefully) help to cut back on at least some of that nonsense.

* No, I don't play Ultima - just thought it was an interesting article.

Saner
Aug 23, 2006, 11:54 AM
well if people RMT it's their business. they definitely won't last even half as long as someone who earns their wealth.

because ppl who pay for instant gratification more often than not get bored really easy, then leave.

I remember when billions worth of gil was destroyed and accounts banned for many gil sellers in FF11. I think that happened with many accounts in WoW too.

the point is, if someone is dumb and desperate enough to pay real money for game money, then its their gamble.

Earthsunderer
Aug 23, 2006, 11:54 AM
On 2006-08-23 09:42, Numnuttz wrote:
lol RMT, i wouldnt be surprised if there werent any. this is like any other online game were someone can acutally make money by playing this. all i can is if they do pop up i hope PvP is added so everyone can kill them before they start farming for their pay check.

If anything, those RMT would just slaughter regular players in the mass so to hinder them at getting the products they intent to sell.

Then again, this is not an open pvp-game, and PvP will presumably only be consentual in some other form of instances and rooms, if it will be implemented at all.

Ryna
Aug 23, 2006, 11:57 AM
On 2006-08-22 21:19, NuclearRanger wrote:
They said it will be imposable. please dont say "YEA RIGHT NO Fing WAY"

I think the original statement is being taken out of context. In the interview, the developer was mainly talking about the ability to patch exploits and glitches as they appear. It is inevitable that a bug or exploit will be found at some point. The difference with PSU is that Sega of Japan will have powerful abilities to close any holes that open up.

HiKeRI
Aug 23, 2006, 12:24 PM
Ima Gillbuyer, did it cause i wanted to, how much? 780Usd i didnt needed it lol, so was bored enought to just go for that, even though i didnt need to http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif RMT would destroy the economy on PSU big time, and would upset alot of players too, but if meseta ends up being like PSO then RMT would be useless.

XredX
Aug 23, 2006, 02:11 PM
imo mods wont happen >.< thats what they clamed on pso1-3 and only a very few showed but i guess got to give them credit they did show up but not enough.

ShinMatsumoto
Aug 23, 2006, 02:38 PM
There's a simple reason RMTing won't work as well.

PSO has never been equipment based.

Yes, equipment is important. It's nice to have some good stuff behind you.

However, the class you chose is DRASTICALLY more important than the crap you're carrying around.

I've never had anything beyond a 10-Star item on any character, save for an Orotiagito.

I've done FINE for myself on PSO. I may die a bit, but it's not a big deal.

Compared to World of Warcraft, PSO has NO reliance on equipment. Therefore, PSU probably won't either. Equipment will be nice to have, but not 100% required.

How does this matter?

If equipment's not as important, it won't cost as much.

If it doesn't cost as much, no need for the meseta.

If there's less of a demand for meseta, it's harder to sell it.

------------------------------

Of course, I could be flat wrong and the Chinese meseta farmers flood our rooms en masse.

But here's for hoping.

Junker
Aug 23, 2006, 02:42 PM
That'd suck. But like you said, Meseta most likely won't be something everyone is desperate for. If its anything like PSO, we'll get a bunch of crap from the mission we dont need, and just sell it.

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 02:59 PM
i think its pathetic to pay money for fake money you can earn ive played the MMO's its just pathetic when you dont earn it, y pay exsesive amounts of real money for a game your already paying money to play, simply idiotic, earn it and stop being such noobs i say

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 03:12 PM
i prefer to do my own work for my stuff instead of buying it and wasting my money, ya know?

Junker
Aug 23, 2006, 03:38 PM
Completely understandable, I totally agree with you. But you see, some people... don't have lives. Or they care more about their virtual life than their real one.

AvianKaitos
Aug 23, 2006, 03:40 PM
Meseta is used for more than just recovery items now, many of the weapons you buy are actually Valuable; also you need meseta for recharging your PP during a mission. (which I can see being very convenient for forces)

White_Zephyr
Aug 23, 2006, 03:40 PM
I'm afraid of the statement that PSU will be unhackable by the development team. This shows that they may have already turned a blind eye on PSU by staking too much confidence on their hacker deterrents. PLEASE GOD let there be a GM system (that is responsive, FSUK DA' GMS IN FFXI). http://emoffxigm.ytmnd.com/

Junker
Aug 23, 2006, 03:43 PM
Hmm, it sounds like Meseta is going to be the nectar of life in this game.

AvianKaitos
Aug 23, 2006, 03:50 PM
All this talk brings up a new question, would it be wise to play offline or online first? I know this has been adressed, but if cheating happens as soon as some of you suggest. Maybe it will be a good idea to get online ASAP for the legit experience.

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 03:55 PM
i agree thats what i plan on doing, b4 hackers and what not reveal themselves, im glad meseta has accual meaning in this game i had my bank maxed and my wallet maxed in PSO

Niki
Aug 23, 2006, 04:01 PM

I'm not very intimate with how the economy works, but RMT is definitely of greater concern to me than cheating. True, cheating will happen, but not on my team. Screwing the whole economy, on the other hand...that's going to hurt my feelings.

And all Sega can do, to my knowledge, is ban accounts if/when they are discovered. Which means those of us who are legit would have to be vigilant towards characters with names like 'trader' or whatever.

Which leads to the unfortunate but unavoidable atmosphere of suspicion. Comes with the territory, I suppose...

HiKeRI
Aug 23, 2006, 04:12 PM
For the people that dont know why some people buy gill, its simple, i work i do have a life, and on FFXI waiting 8-9 hrs and even 1 full day for "one" item, i would be gaining money on the job instead and buying it with my money instead of just wasting whole day on just aiming for something that i coulda bought easy. One solid reason why i did so.

Calamity
Aug 23, 2006, 04:17 PM
well i'm guessin yall dont play the xbox one cuz on that one everyone hacked it was jus to easy and no one wanted to ruin the game all they did was jus make there chars lvl 200 or so to battle cuz thats all we did and made npcs like sonic knuckles or flowen or people like that they hacked weapons and so forth but never a whole server or tried to steal peoples stuff cuz they culd make wutever they wanted to and i knew like all of them so i jus got stuff handed to me so cheating was all they did in pso for the xbox but no one really cared cuz we had legit lobbys, hacker lobbys, and people that culd care less lobbys, so everyone was split up and the only thing stupid was we wuld have all these clan wars and people wuld jus fight i was in 3 of the biggest ones and then i quit playin cuz i got a 360 and went to psobb and its way diff and i dont even like it that much so sumtimes u jus got to look at the community of diff servers cheaters never hurt anyone in xbox but idk bout anyone of yalls servers

Junker
Aug 23, 2006, 04:31 PM
Yes... indeed... well thats why Im getting the Ps2 Version.

vitius137
Aug 23, 2006, 04:32 PM
On 2006-08-23 14:17, LILC wrote:
well i'm guessin yall dont play the xbox one cuz on that one everyone hacked it was jus to easy and no one wanted to ruin the game all they did was jus make there chars lvl 200 or so to battle cuz thats all we did and made npcs like sonic knuckles or flowen or people like that they hacked weapons and so forth but never a whole server or tried to steal peoples stuff cuz they culd make wutever they wanted to and i knew like all of them so i jus got stuff handed to me so cheating was all they did in pso for the xbox but no one really cared cuz we had legit lobbys, hacker lobbys, and people that culd care less lobbys, so everyone was split up and the only thing stupid was we wuld have all these clan wars and people wuld jus fight i was in 3 of the biggest ones and then i quit playin cuz i got a 360 and went to psobb and its way diff and i dont even like it that much so sumtimes u jus got to look at the community of diff servers cheaters never hurt anyone in xbox but idk bout anyone of yalls servers

If you try to read that sentence out loud you will die from lack of oxygen. lol.

I still have no idea whether to go online or offline first. My friends are playing offline first, developers reccomend offline first, but I REALLY wanna go online first T_T

HiKeRI
Aug 23, 2006, 04:35 PM
play w/e u want lol dun let ol ppl tell ya what to do http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Junker
Aug 23, 2006, 04:36 PM
Im just worried that goin Online from the start wont give you a tutorial or anything like the offline mode will. Hopefully there will be a Mission like the first one on PSO.

HiKeRI
Aug 23, 2006, 04:42 PM
Well people figure out ez helping eachother, its an interesting experience when everyone is a newbie http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif To tell ya the truth the offline mode is great when there are server downtimes, the offline mode would help for that

Junker
Aug 23, 2006, 04:44 PM
Good point, I forgot how many people will be Newbs when the came first comes out.

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 04:50 PM
i have a job too that requires 8 or more hours of work, i just think its dumb to do that

HiKeRI
Aug 23, 2006, 04:56 PM
Only two Q's had ya played FFXI? Had ya waited 1 day to a week on trying to get something, if ya done, then you'll understand very well on what i say, if ya have the money use it, and gain it again with the hr's ya used to try n get that thing.

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 05:03 PM
ive played all the mmos except everquest and yes i know hwta its like but i still like earning it myself im not saying your dumb, an heres an example i know diablo 2 isnt an MMO but trying to find sets in that gamne on your own can take days weeks months so i very well know what your talking about but when i finally get it after hard work i feel alot better about myself then i would if i got it right away, plus it teaches you patience....

HiKeRI
Aug 23, 2006, 05:07 PM
Well yeah, getting stuff is part of the game, but im kinda hasty, and hard to have patience on a game lol, only on rl and its a pain, but yeah i do understand yah.

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 05:08 PM
k, not trying to make enimeis, lol

Junker
Aug 23, 2006, 05:10 PM
I think, it's a game. I pay to play the game. If I want to unlock something or gain an item, I will play to obtain it, because it is possible. Have fun to get something, or waste money. I'll go with the game.

Foxix
Aug 23, 2006, 05:14 PM
I personally don't think its going to be such a problem. The fact that you need meseta this much this time around, even for refilling the PP gauge and changing classes, should help to balance out the economy. I say this because this will literally suck meseta right out of the economy. People may still buy meseta but little things like this may help to slow down inflation, at least I hope so. When I played FFXI prices nearly doubled in under a month.

On 2006-08-23 14:17, LILC wrote:

Punctuation and capitalization are your friend. This (http://www.dictionary.com) also helps.

HiKeRI
Aug 23, 2006, 05:18 PM
I kinda fear if the problem that FFXI passed by, will hapen here which i doubt it would... but if it do im just gonna see less fun on this game, but again i doubt it'll happen

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 06:00 PM
and see instead of cheating you can become one of the best, i was #1 in the world at unreal championship for damn near a month....it felt really good to get there without cheating, cheating takes all the fun away

vitius137
Aug 23, 2006, 06:51 PM
Nintendo Wi-fi connection is ruined because of cheaters. If I didn't know how to snake in mario kart I wouldn't even play that online. (I only snake if someone else starts)

*ahem* back on topic. I think that generally people will always have at least almost enough to buy whatever they need (if they don't spoil themselves too much). My guess is that most of the time you will only need to do a little bit of money gathering/begging (lol) to be able to buy weapons/armors for your lvl.

Junker
Aug 23, 2006, 06:53 PM
God I hate snaking...

Calamity
Aug 23, 2006, 07:41 PM
ya i think its gonna be fun not knowin anything about it and learnin how to play myself..
p.s. i know how to type and spell and all that but i dont cuz it takes to long so plz dont make fun

Niki
Aug 23, 2006, 08:29 PM
On 2006-08-23 14:12, HiKeRI wrote:
For the people that dont know why some people buy gill, its simple, i work i do have a life, and on FFXI waiting 8-9 hrs and even 1 full day for "one" item, i would be gaining money on the job instead and buying it with my money instead of just wasting whole day on just aiming for something that i coulda bought easy. One solid reason why i did so.

I know why people do it, but I also know why it violates the ToS of many MMOs. It's unfair. I understand that it saves you money by taking fewer months to accumulate wealth, but it illegitimises the balance intended within the game. I'm psyched for PSU, but I must reluctantly admit that people will try to ruin it. We won't stop it, but that doesn't make it the right thing to do.

I play MMOs. I work 12-16 hour days for 14 days in a row, before a 4-day break. I have friends, go out, and I still earned everything my character owns. I also sleep 3-4 hours a night.

Not judging, just saying it's possible.

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 09:01 PM
which is kool, ive had to work like that b4 when i was in construction and roofing

Black_Heart
Aug 23, 2006, 09:08 PM
Everquest 1 and 2 have cheating, Ultima Online has cheating, Asheron's Call 1 and 2 have cheating, DAoC has cheating, FFXI has cheating, City of Heroes/Villains has cheating, World of Warcraft has cheating.

Is the cheating widespread? No.
Did the cheating start soon after the games were released? Usually not.
Has the cheating ruined the games? No.
Is the cheating watched closed and taken care of as best as possible by the companies running the games? Yes.

No game is perfect, if human beings made it, human beings can break it. The question is... will the cheating be on a large enough and severe enough scale to cause the game's quality and rules to falter? I very very highly doubt it. When the cheating does start it will probably be miniscule things that are patched and fixed quickly or will have very little affect on your gameplay experience.

Velocity_7
Aug 23, 2006, 09:21 PM
On 2006-08-23 06:36, Saner wrote:

I think what's just as pathetic are people who are SO sensitive to cheating/duping, that at first glance they are like "cheaters! That's it I quit" and like sheep, go in the VERY direction cheaters want them to go, out of the game. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Amen.

And mind you people, I have been NOLed, had weapons stolen from me, even got FSOD'd a few times.

Phaze37
Aug 23, 2006, 09:21 PM
God I hate snaking...
Yep, snaking ruined the game for me. I can do it pretty well, but the problem is that because of it players would rarely pick the fun technical courses. They'd choose really easy courses with really wide straightaways just so they could snake the entire bloody track. After about 30 seconds of solid snaking my hands start to hurt and it just sucks the fun right out of the game. When someone snakes on a good track like rainbow road though, it's very impressive. Noone ever votes for fun tracks that make snaking hard like RR though. It's always non-stop figure 8 circuit...

Before I get too far off topic, I think PSU won't have as much of a problem with RMTs as other online RPGs. For one thing, PSU isn't going to be very popular. Most of the RMTs are going to do their business in games that have large numbers of players like WoW and FFXI. That's just the nature of business, location is important. And a few posters have already mentioned the fact the all the instances in this game should cut it down quite a bit too. Yes, Guild Wars has RMTs but unless I'm mistaken it's not as big a problem in that game as it is in full MMORPGs.

As for cheating, server-side saving should really help. This will really limit what can be done, and it means that a person will actually have to have some brains and some technical know-how in order to cheat. It won't be like PSO where it's impossible to play games with random people and not see hacked red rings and SJS and 100% BKB's and damage hacks. There will only be a few players hacking the game and hopefully these players will actually be smart and keep their hacks to themselves. After all, if they want to make their characters ultimate through cheating, it makes sense to not spread the cheats around so that only they are uber-powerful. At least, this is what I'm hoping. I don't have alot of online RPG experience outside of PSO so I could be completely wrong.

vitius137
Aug 23, 2006, 10:01 PM
On 2006-08-23 16:53, Junker wrote:
God I hate snaking...

*GASP* what if people start snaking in PSU? O_O (ROFLX j/k)

Skye-Fox713
Aug 23, 2006, 10:26 PM
i wish that i could savagly beat all of the magor hackers and cheaters with a nasty looking club and that would make my day. then i would probably get savagly beaten with assult charges which would suck.

just my 2 meseta

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 23, 2006, 10:28 PM
ahh beating the sh1t out of hackers would just make my day as well, i would be so hapy ^_^

Killuminati
Aug 24, 2006, 01:43 AM
On 2006-08-22 23:09, PhotonCat wrote:

I don't think it will be possible because you need an internet connection to run the game just like FFXI and many other MMOs. There is no hacking in these games but if it is done it's usually through third party software and they usally only keep it to themselves and it doesn't hinder the experience of other players. In PSU case I don't think we will have to worry about this at least I hope not.

On another note if there was no cheating/duping in PSO the game would have been much harder and would have laster longer because most of the good weapons were impossible to find.

One thing I never understood about PSO(on GCN) was how the rare weapons were ever found. I put in well over 100 hours in that game and never found the weapons that I used(they were duped) the most. MKB but I used a BKB or any of the ranger guns, I never found one and think that most of the uber weapons that I played with were nearly impossible to find.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Killuminati on 2006-08-23 23:52 ]</font>

Ffuzzy-Logik
Aug 24, 2006, 02:01 AM
On 2006-08-23 23:43, Killuminati wrote:
One thing I never understood about PSO(on GCN) was how the rare weapons were ever found. I put in well over 100 hours in that game and never found the weapons that I used(they were duped) the most. MKB but I used a BKB or any of the ranger guns, I never found one and think that most of the uber weapons that I played with were nearly impossible to find.

You think 100 hours is a lot? I lol. If you want rares, try something more in the 1500-2000 hour range... And that, my firend, is what makes PSO great. I hope for more of the same in PSU.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ffuzzy-Logik on 2006-08-24 00:03 ]</font>

Ffuzzy-Logik
Aug 24, 2006, 02:02 AM
lolk, accidentally quoted self instead of editing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ffuzzy-Logik on 2006-08-24 00:02 ]</font>

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 24, 2006, 02:05 AM
ive totaled at least 10000 hours over my pso career if not more i found alot of raresthe only ones i couldnt find were the real agito and the Yamigarasu...

Ifrian
Aug 24, 2006, 03:28 AM
On 2006-08-23 07:51, Saner wrote:

well I did get FSOD twice. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I got fsod about 200 or more times just the last year.
Corrupted ( lost all chars and gcs) 15
banned by hackers 4

Its not the same , saner , and some of us are really scared , worried about it.

For some of us , log on pso was : "lets see what they will do to me today"

Saner
Aug 24, 2006, 03:54 AM
On 2006-08-24 01:28, Ifrian wrote:

I got fsod about 200 or more times just the last year.
Corrupted ( lost all chars and gcs) 15
banned by hackers 4

Its not the same , saner , and some of us are really scared , worried about it.

For some of us , log on pso was : "lets see what they will do to me today"

ya but what PSO version was that? Dreamcast? Gamecube?
security has been improved with each new PSO they released.

and this looks like the toughest yet.

Phaze37
Aug 24, 2006, 04:42 AM
That sounds like the gamecube version to me. Ifrian is right. Sometimes I was downright scared to go online, I've lost far, far too much stuff to FSOD, and I'm very lucky to have never been the victim of corruption. Seeing your many hours of hunting go down the drain can drive a man insane. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to replace my frozen shooter, yasimkov 9000m, and spread needle on my primary character. I love the on-the-fly weapon switching in PSO too much to restrict myself to carrying just one weapon. Plus, all of my horror stories about losing my stuff was enough to stop my friends from wanting to play online. I'm not religious but I still pray that the hacking is at least kept under control in PSU.

Saner
Aug 24, 2006, 04:47 AM
so you have been playing the Xbox or Gamecube version or Dreamcast?

Blue Burst eliminated most of those problems, especially theft and corruption, right?

Ryudo
Aug 24, 2006, 05:01 AM
You will never EVER lose anything due to corruption on PSU.

Even if something did somehow go wrong they could just rollback your character data

Jeral
Aug 24, 2006, 05:25 AM
No matter what game or measures the creators take there will be cheaters, allways is in every game, Only thing that seperates us from them is the fact we gain everything legit and can at least say we play on a fair field.

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 24, 2006, 07:14 AM
unless a massive crash happened in all ther saves and what not, it is possible but not probable

SephYuyX
Aug 24, 2006, 07:42 AM
Lol wow.. just WOW, im going to enjoy this one..

I don't think it will be possible because you need an internet connection to run the game just like FFXI and many other MMOs. There is no hacking in these games but if it is done it's usually through third party software and they usally only keep it to themselves and it doesn't hinder the experience of other players. In PSU case I don't think we will have to worry about this at least I hope not.

First of all, you must have never played FFXI endgame. Doesnt effect other people??! wtf game are you playing? Ever camp a king and after 6 hours of waiting the guy from 5 zones away, POS hacks to something that takes 20minutes to get to, in 1 second, and claims the mob before it even pops?

Wow, saying 3rd party tools doesnt effect other people is ridiculous. Did you never get past lvl20? Perhapse youve never seen the mass RMT armies with hacks, taking every NM and monopolizing items. Perhapse youve never seen an endgame clan with bots so that they can get every pull and get the best loot.

I cant believe you said that. Its like saying a smoker blowing smoke in your face wont effect you.

And holy crap, you answered your own statement on this one.

On another note if there was no cheating/duping in PSO the game would have been much harder and would have laster longer because most of the good weapons were impossible to find.

YEAH! Thats the point of it! Gee.. I wonder what it takes to get people to play a game for long periods of time.. Oh yeah! lets make it so this weapon takes forever to get. Hi, Welcome to MMORPGs!

And finally..

100hrs?? Thats it? Just 100 hours and your complaining you dont have the best weapons in the game? Spoiled much? E-peen not big enough?

Hole.ley.Crap. There are people in other MMORPGs that have over 400 days play time and still have nothing close to the best gear.

There is a reason rare items are put in the game, SO ONLY A VERY SMALL PERCENTAGE HAS THEM! Thats why they are raaaare, do you understand that concept? 100hrs isnt a long time, at all.

You sir are the perfect example of why MMORPGs are ruined.

You have no patience, and no knowledge of anything, you dupe, you cheat and you want and item so badly youll stoop down to that level. By doing that youre breaking the game, making something rare that only 5 people in the world are supposed to have be spread to every little kid in the world.

Im sorry if I snaped, but I cant stand this type of ignorance.

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 24, 2006, 09:45 AM
WOW, lol. yeah 100 hours play time is nothing to us veterans, like i stated earlier thousands of hours, and if you wanted rare things that badly you could do rare enemy runs if your having such a bad time, lol. its the easiest way to get them, but only certain ones.....100 hours lol chump time sry

Pure-chan
Aug 24, 2006, 01:30 PM
On 2006-08-23 06:36, Saner wrote:

I personally lost around 150 million legit exp* in one shot, due to a random, hacker-induced corruption. I quit not all that long afterwards. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/sprite.gif

Should you ever find yourself in the same position - by all means - please let us know how long you decide to stick around to pay a monthly fee. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_chicken.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/spam.gif

...somehow I don't think that people that are complaining are all that concerned about getting fsod'd. twice.

Your position is like saying people are too sensitive about starvation, then qualifying it by saying, "well, I did miss lunch once". http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bondage.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

People have every right to react to cheating. As much as I enjoy Phantasy Star, I can't ignore the fact that it is still an investment of sorts - both in time and money. $8.99 per month breaks down to about $107.88 a year. Add in the cost of the game and you're talking about a figure somewhere in the range of $157.87. That's enough to buy three games... that don't delete my data. At that price, I expect more than having to worry about getting corrupted by some jerkwater script-kiddie with a proxy server. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/cake.gif

I am very, very excited for PSU. Still, I'm not so blinded by loyalty that I'll keep pay for the priviledge of getting screwed. If PSU turns into a zoo like PS games of the past, you can add me to the list of sheep that leave the game. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/cheese.gif

* Including a char at 199 with +/- 200k to lv. 200, a lv. 190 char and 2 other high lv chars. =/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pure-chan on 2006-08-24 11:42 ]</font>

Kyuu
Aug 24, 2006, 01:34 PM
On 2006-08-24 05:14, Kakashi_Xero wrote:
unless a massive crash happened in all ther saves and what not, it is possible but not probable

They keep backups of everything. Even in the event of a massive failure of some sort that wiped out their main character data, they could restore it. WoW has had problems of every description, including some major hardware failures. Nobody ever lost their character.

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 24, 2006, 01:56 PM
i was talkin about everything like a dooms day crash where every saved file was lost, i was joking of coarse but you wouldn tell cause you didnt hear how i woulda said it...lol, no big deal

Saner
Aug 24, 2006, 01:57 PM
People have every right to react to cheating. As much as I enjoy Phantasy Star, I can't ignore the fact that it is still an investment of sorts - both in time and money. $8.99 per month breaks down to about $107.88 a year. Add in the cost of the game and you're talking about a figure somewhere in the range of $157.87. That's enough to buy three games... that don't delete my data. At that price, I expect more than having to worry about getting corrupted by some jerkwater script-kiddie with a proxy server. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/cake.gif

I am very, very excited for PSU. Still, I'm not so blinded by loyalty that I'll keep pay for the priviledge of getting screwed. If PSU turns into a zoo like PS games of the past, you can add me to the list of sheep that leave the game. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/cheese.gif

it isn't loyalty, some ppl just overexaggerate the negative side of things.

ya people lost stuff and data in the past but that might not happen again, but if it does happen then it can't be as bad as it was before.

in any case, even during the worst of times you can still manage to make it the best of times. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Phaze37
Aug 24, 2006, 03:26 PM
Blue Burst eliminated most of those problems, especially theft and corruption, right?
Somewhat. It's a big improvement over the previous versions on consoles, but there is still a fair amount of cheating and although it's never happened to me I've overheard in-game conversations about people losing their items to bugs. I only got to level 125 in Blue Burst before quitting so I'm hardly an expert on the subject though. The brutal exp loss when you die is what ruined that version for me. I want to fight Dark Falz without losing exp...

Pure-chan
Aug 24, 2006, 03:28 PM
On 2006-08-24 11:57, Saner wrote:

in any case, even during the worst of times you can still manage to make it the best of times. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

You know, I'm all for the 'best of times'. I'll gladly accept the 'it's still pretty good-est' of times and settle for the 'mediocre-est of times'. I'll even sit through the 'I'm so bored I haven't started a game in a month, so I'll just jabber in the lobby instead-est' of times.

The worst of times is my cutoff point. There are too many games that don't require a degree of masochism in order to enjoy them. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

On 2006-08-24 11:57, Saner wrote:

ya people lost stuff and data in the past but that might not happen again, but if it does happen then it can't be as bad as it was before.

Hope so. I <3 PS. A stable, secure, populated PS would make my year. We shall see.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pure-chan on 2006-08-24 13:31 ]</font>

Phaze37
Aug 24, 2006, 03:32 PM
A stable, secure, populated PS would make my year.
I have wanted this ever since I first saw hacks in Dreamcast version 1. It would make my decade.

Pure-chan
Aug 24, 2006, 04:15 PM
On 2006-08-24 13:32, Phaze37 wrote:

A stable, secure, populated PS would make my year.
I have wanted this ever since I first saw hacks in Dreamcast version 1. It would make my decade.

Duely noted. Honestly, it'd make mine, too.

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 24, 2006, 07:52 PM
indeed

Ifrian
Aug 25, 2006, 02:11 AM
On 2006-08-24 02:47, Saner wrote:
so you have been playing the Xbox or Gamecube version or Dreamcast?

When all that stuff happened to me i was playing PSO gamecube .

PD: i have to admit tho, that even if it turned just like Gamecube , i would probably stay anyway and get a group of friends to enjoy the game as much as i could, just like i did on pso.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ifrian on 2006-08-25 00:12 ]</font>