PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected Qualities

Roken
Aug 23, 2006, 01:03 PM
Hey everyone, in just about a week's time, PSU will be out in Japan... Now, I've only played PSO offline, and that was on the DC. I've never played any on the GC since I had gotten a PS2, yet I stayed in touch with news for PSO/PSU and FFXI.

Even though I thought FFXI would be what my friend called "The end to all MMOs", as in, that'll be the last one I ever play, I've been more hype over news revolving around PSU, especially since I quit FFXI ( for those of you that dont know, a team-based MMO, so you could hardly do things outside of crafting by yourself. .

And now, I find myself waiting on PSU to come out, and for some reason, being overly-hyped, not about the US release, but the JP release. Looking at all the vids I can on youtube, magazines, etc.

Have any of you felt anything about PSU's release, that you didnt think you'd be excited over ??

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Roken on 2006-08-23 11:04 ]</font>

Saner
Aug 23, 2006, 01:11 PM
well ya the Japanese release will be a great benefit to everyone since there will be importers who will share with us all the media and information about the offline story mode, as well as how the full online experience is really like and stuff like that.

so September will be a great month for learning all about PSU and stuff. you can be sure youtube.com will be packed with media about everything, especially the story mode cutscenes and all. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

and I'm especially looking forward to all the Story mode translations and media and information cause that would prepare us for when the US version comes out, we'll just play online straight away with all the knowledge and experience from the offline story and stuff since it does take place 3 years before the online campaign,
and farther down the road we can play the story mode ourselves when we have free time. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-08-23 11:12 ]</font>

SephYuyX
Aug 23, 2006, 01:29 PM
lol @ compairing FFXI to PSU

You can't, in almost any aspect. I've been playing both PSO and FFXI since beta releases and they are two completly diffrent animals.

Playing a PSO type of game is a huge relief, as you said all things in FFXI are team based, being able to play solo and do whatever you want in PSO/U is a god send. PSO isnt like FFXI where you almost have to play all the time, you can just get on whenever you want to, and you wont be that far behind anyone else.

Whenever a new version of PSO came I would play it for a solid three days none stop, then be burnt out on it almost having everything done, but it still had some reply value. I will definitly be taking a (hopefully long) break from FFXI when PSU comes out, however I view PSU as merely a side game for when I get bored and theres not enough time to do anything in FFXI.

That was PSOs main downfall, there wasnt that much lasting appeal, I hope PSU corrects this.

However, I am very hyped for this game, I have been for every PSO (cept for that god awful card game) and PSU looks to surpass PSO in all aspects and has the ability to keep my attention for more than a month.

The house thing has me very interested, as well as all the customability in almost anything. Lets not forget, no more playing in those same three areas that we have been for years. Though, I sort of miss them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SephirothYuyX on 2006-08-23 11:33 ]</font>

Roken
Aug 23, 2006, 01:49 PM
On 2006-08-23 11:29, SephirothYuyX wrote:
lol @ compairing FFXI to PSU

You can't, in almost any aspect. I've been playing both PSO and FFXI since beta releases and they are two completly diffrent animals.

Playing a PSO type of game is a huge relief, as you said all things in FFXI are team based, being able to play solo and do whatever you want in PSO/U is a god send. PSO isnt like FFXI where you almost have to play all the time, you can just get on whenever you want to, and you wont be that far behind anyone else.

Whenever a new version of PSO came I would play it for a solid three days none stop, then be burnt out on it almost having everything done, but it still had some reply value. I will definitly be taking a (hopefully long) break from FFXI when PSU comes out, however I view PSU as merely a side game for when I get bored and theres not enough time to do anything in FFXI.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SephirothYuyX on 2006-08-23 11:33 ]</font>

I didnt say I was comparing FFXI to PSU, just saying that I thought I'd be doing what you were doing, taking a break from FFXI to play PSU, or play them both ( if even possible ). I thought that FFXI would be the "best" MMO out there, granted its doing well and probably one of the most popular ones out now, I'd never think I'd quit. To me, both franchises are a few of the most ones that I'd more or less continue to play throughout the future, which is why I was looking into both PSU and FFXI years before they even came out. Not that I was seeing if they both played in a similar way, looked similar, etc. Just looking into both of them.

As for your other comment, about PSO being a side-game, I wouldnt know much about that since again, I've never even played it online before, but went a little deep into the offline game. PSU looks to be advancing both with a full-length offline mode, and a solid online mode, especially with the customization, so we all look forward to that.

SephYuyX
Aug 23, 2006, 02:11 PM
Well actually, FFXI is doing very poorly compaired to other MMOs. I think FFXI is number 4 or 5 in the ranking of how many players are signed up and playing.

I will be playing till FFXI's servers burn and die, and I hope I can do the same with PSU, but PSO has never lived up to that expectation. Ill probably feel bad without plsying FFXI and just leave my laptop running with me idle in FFXI while playing PSU on my PC.

Im sure you will enjoy the offline version if you liked PSOs version, however im not sure if I could really judge how PSUs online play would be vs FFXIs. I think you would enjoy PSU more than FFXI, from what I can tell that type of game play may suit you better. FFXI is certainly not everyones cup of tea, and since youre not a fan of that basiclly mandatory team play in FFXI, PSU would feel like heaven.

Junker
Aug 23, 2006, 02:14 PM
If its even close to the awesomeness PSO contained, it will destroy FFXI.

SephYuyX
Aug 23, 2006, 02:18 PM
On 2006-08-23 12:14, Junker wrote:

Eh, I kind of doubt that. PSO was always kind of a cult classic, PSU will surely be welcomed in todays online game mainstream, but I dont think it will rival any of the top MMORPGs

Roken
Aug 23, 2006, 02:38 PM
On 2006-08-23 12:11, SephirothYuyX wrote:
Well actually, FFXI is doing very poorly compaired to other MMOs. I think FFXI is number 4 or 5 in the ranking of how many players are signed up and playing.

I will be playing till FFXI's servers burn and die, and I hope I can do the same with PSU, but PSO has never lived up to that expectation. Ill probably feel bad without plsying FFXI and just leave my laptop running with me idle in FFXI while playing PSU on my PC.

Im sure you will enjoy the offline version if you liked PSOs version, however im not sure if I could really judge how PSUs online play would be vs FFXIs. I think you would enjoy PSU more than FFXI, from what I can tell that type of game play may suit you better. FFXI is certainly not everyones cup of tea, and since youre not a fan of that basiclly mandatory team play in FFXI, PSU would feel like heaven.

I dont mind team-play at all, but feel that all MMO's even with FFXI's mandatory theme of teams is implemented the wrong way. As you've said, playing in a team is mandatory in FFXI, you can basically do nothing by yourself when it comes to mid/later missions, AF, etc. but I do feel that some sort of personal space is needed in all MMO's. However for me, it wasnt 'only' the fact that it was team-based gameplay, as to why I quit, however many other factors which contributed to me quitting greatly over the team-based gameplay.

PSU seems as if theres more you can do alone, which I do like, that you arent restricted to a team or time, however I believe the true reason for me liking it mostly lies with its customization which Im greatly looking forward to. One that you dont see in alot of MMO's, which I do believe is one of the first key elements to grab a player, making that person feel more in tuned with their character from the start.

FFXI to me, has the best story along with sound/music in the online community ( just my opinion ), which are some of the other factors that I look into a game, outside of its gameplay/fun factor. PSU has an actual story which is implemented in the game aside from many other MMO's such as Everquest or WoW ( from what I've heard/seen ), whereas the storyline is non-existant. This is one of the reasons I think that PSU will be longer lasting, especially over a months time, hopefully enjoyable/long enough to keepn the casual/general population playing for over a year, rather than one to three months.

I've played FFXI for nearly three years before quitting, so I do feel that it in fact, suited me however, the small problems with it that later escalated into larger complications is why I more or less quit.

As I've said before, I can't wait for PSU and hope that it more or less is able to 'hold' a large amount of players for a long time, considering that there wouldnt be any mini/side games in the main version for at least the first few months.

Roken
Aug 23, 2006, 02:41 PM
On 2006-08-23 12:14, Junker wrote:

I agree with Seph here, PSO seemed to consist of a small fan base, however with PSU's upcoming release, its more or less making more headlines and publicity than the earlier games in its series, which should hopefully attract more players.

Arrow203
Aug 23, 2006, 04:47 PM
I played FFXI Starting with the Beta... and i must say it was real good up until 5 months ago.. where RMT have pretty much ruled our server.. it just burnt me out of the game knowing that all of the prices have raised 10 fold... then came the BLM nurf... so i just ended up quitting.. wasn't any fun anymore.

HiKeRI
Aug 23, 2006, 04:54 PM
I quitd FFXI i mark that game a legend, now its time for me to move on to the next game... PSU *Dissapears*

MoonSblaise
Aug 24, 2006, 03:44 PM
Ah how i miss the nights i spent on FFXI XD The best part is learning all about it ^___^ Hmmm i'm getting worried about so much unsureness and doubt towards PSU... The online mode is the main thing to me, and if its nothing but missions and solo grinding as well as a not very in depth synthesis system then i'ma cry... I need a REAL MMORPG that i can play for ages ^_^ Nyah!

Sev
Aug 24, 2006, 07:28 PM
Gotta keep myself from ranting here. PSU's synthesis system should be more then enough for most people.

The missions are better then going out into an overcamped area and not just fighting to survive, but fighting to get experience over other people.

Having options in what my character looks like, kicks ass.

Being able to get into the game with relative ease, and being able to join up with random people without WAITING AROUND FOR HOURS is also great. What I want, is not a REAL MMORPG. I want a fun online game that I can play for ages. PSU should be that game.

phunk
Aug 24, 2006, 07:40 PM
FFXI was great if you had the time to put into it. It's structure was based on an older gen of MMOs, hence all the team-required type gameplay.

XI has sort of worn itself out though, the grind becomes more of a chore but it does feel great when you achieve whatever goal you set.

PSO and PSU alike are what I call a casual mmo, probably even more casual than WoW. There was never a time I would log onto PSO and feel behind because I didn't spend 8+ hours in an exp party the other night. Or fustrated because the rare monster we were hunting had a drop rate of 1/100.

So, if you're comming from FFXI to PSU you should do fine with PSU.

Drakon
Aug 24, 2006, 07:49 PM
On 2006-08-24 17:28, Sev wrote:
Gotta keep myself from ranting here. PSU's synthesis system should be more then enough for most people.

The missions are better then going out into an overcamped area and not just fighting to survive, but fighting to get experience over other people.

Having options in what my character looks like, kicks ass.

Being able to get into the game with relative ease, and being able to join up with random people without WAITING AROUND FOR HOURS is also great. What I want, is not a REAL MMORPG. I want a fun online game that I can play for ages. PSU should be that game.

I agree with you Sev most MMORPG's now are all the same old stuff and having many jerks that like to ks, loot and mob players. Thats why I think PSU will be a very good game wont have to fight off other players just to enjoy it and lvl. I just hope ST does what they say and update the game enough to keep players with it and to stop cheaters..

Roken
Aug 25, 2006, 09:31 AM
It seems that alot of the game's mechanics do revolve around being more casual and relaxed, everything possible so that there wont be any reasons to argue with another person/team. The customization is great and all the things concerning what you can do in your own room is also good, PMs with synthesis and all. All I hope is that even after getting to the end, there will still be stuff for end-gamers to do.

Saner
Aug 25, 2006, 09:34 AM
well these games are more fun for all, even casual players.

but relaxed? well the real-time combat keeps you WIDE AWAKE, that's for sure. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Roken
Aug 25, 2006, 10:07 AM
What I mean by the game being more relaxed is that competition or other ways of conflict between other players are minimal or non-existant in this game. For example, there's no guild system as such, or monsters with low-drop rate/time to be fought over. No Auctioning system as the main source of economy etc.

All these elements make the game more relaxed on a 'player vs. player' type situation, but of course the actual gameplay, battling monsters and such more or less wont be an easy task since your always on your feet. Especially with some of the fast paced missions/bosses to conquer.

SephYuyX
Aug 25, 2006, 10:51 AM
I hope there will be a PvP area implemented at some point.