PDA

View Full Version : Reiko Kodama: The question everyone seems to avoid

hipshit07
Aug 23, 2006, 04:51 PM
I have been looking at the archives of interviews done with sonic team recently and i have noticed something odd. Where the hell is Reiko Kodama!!!! I dont know if this topic has come up at all, i bet it has but now i bringing it back. Seisously you would have thought that the woman who atually CREATED Phantasy star would have something to say but she is not even mentioned as just a passing observer. I was suprised PSO didnt bother to put this question to Takao Miyoshi at E3 because its a very intriging one. Has she left Sega? If so why havent we heard about it after all she is quite high profile within the company. has she got any say at all in the development? If anyone knows anything please share your thoughts.

Parn
Aug 23, 2006, 05:05 PM
She's part of Overworks and was the lead director of Skies of Arcadia. Not much has been heard from her end in quite some time.

OnnaWren
Aug 23, 2006, 05:08 PM
She hasn't had anything to do with the Phantasy Star series since End of the Millennium, save for overseeing (and providing the awesome title-screen art for) Phantasy Star Collection for the Game Boy Advance back in 2002...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OnnaWren on 2006-08-23 15:09 ]</font>

PrinceBrightstar
Aug 23, 2006, 05:23 PM
She was credited for Altered Beast in europe, 2005

Sinue_v2
Aug 23, 2006, 05:36 PM
It wasn't much of a credit, from what I understand of the game.

And yeah, she's with WowWorks (after the WOW/Overworks merger) presumably working with Tohru Yoshida (who also worked with her on PSII, PSIV, and SoA) on a new RPG - but we've heard nothing about the project.

Honestly, I think I'm just everybit a fan of Rieko herself as I am of Phantasy Star - if not moreso. Skies of Arcadia was an awesome title, and I'd love to see a sequel to that everybit as much as I'd love a new installment of Phantasy Star.

PrinceBrightstar
Aug 23, 2006, 06:00 PM
Well when they finish tetris worlds, we'll see what's next for Sega AGES 2500

Saner
Aug 24, 2006, 03:48 AM
PSO was successful without her right?

Yuji Naka left Sonic Team but PSU is still in good hands. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 24, 2006, 04:18 AM
And who was Yuji Naka? I know I've heard the name before...

hypersaxon
Aug 24, 2006, 04:21 AM
On 2006-08-24 02:18, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
And who was Yuji Naka? I know I've heard the name before...

He created the Sonic The Hedgehog game series.

Saner
Aug 24, 2006, 04:21 AM
um he helped develop the very first PSO. there was even interviews of him about the game. And probably the one who influenced their first online RPG project to borrow the name and elements of Phantasy Star.

He also programmed/made the first Sonic games and stuff like that. was also involved with making PSII and PSIV I think.

Saner
Aug 24, 2006, 04:30 AM
I heard he did not design/create Sonic himself though. it was someone else, though they did work with Yuji Naka to decide on what he would be.

originally Sonic was going to be a rabbit, then a armadillo but then they switched to hedgehog.

Mighty in Knuckles Chaotix is what Sonic might have looked if they stuck with the armadillo idea. good thing they didn't http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?ei=UTF-8&fr=sfp&p=mighty+the+armadillo

Brus
Aug 24, 2006, 05:35 AM
On 2006-08-24 01:48, Saner wrote:
PSO was successful without her right?

Yuji Naka left Sonic Team but PSU is still in good hands. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Let's put it this way. She WROTE PS1-4, which had good stories. PSO's story, albeit some argue is good, is not as engaging or interesting as rieko's writing for the original games.

Saner
Aug 24, 2006, 09:26 AM
Let's put it this way. She WROTE PS1-4, which had good stories. PSO's story, albeit some argue is good, is not as engaging or interesting as rieko's writing for the original games.

ya but remember PSO's success is based on the gameplay, which for any game, is in most cases more important than a story.

Story is always a plus for an online RPG, but it's the multiplayer, content, features, real-time battles, character creation, and so on and so forth that's made the PSOs so addicting.

the classics are really legendary in this own way. but their gameplay style would not work for an online heavy experience.

But Reiko did not write PSIII:Generations of Doom's story.

I heard it was written by some guy but he got upset cause Sega would not give him the support to fully realize his vision, so I think he left before it was finished. The team that worked on PSIII made the Golden Axe games. it wasn't the team that made 1,II and IV. but PSIII still turned out great and unique with what they had to work with.

Reiko is a great storyteller, but personally, Skies of Arcadia didn't hold my attention and interest like her Phantasy Star games did.

tank1
Aug 24, 2006, 10:52 AM
Story is always more important than Gameplay in RPG's look at the Final Fantasy Series. Whats fun about clicking commands on a menu? its the story that keeps you hooked.

Saner
Aug 24, 2006, 11:03 AM
On 2006-08-24 08:52, tank1 wrote:
Story is always more important than Gameplay in RPG's look at the Final Fantasy Series. Whats fun about clicking commands on a menu? its the story that keeps you hooked.

well thats FF's fault for having such ancient menu driven combat systems. the story keeps you hooked but after the story is over, what then? with FF's lacking really good gameplay, people just get bored and let the game collect dust.

gameplay is what truly gives an RPG replay value.

FinalFantasy (except 11) is the opposite, it keeps itself afloat with characters and complex stories to keep ppl interested. but once the story is over, barely anyone would want to play them again from scratch, since the gameplay is so limited and combat systems so basic.
and those games are non-upgradable for new content and lack player interaction with friends. so a Final Fantasy can never outlast a PSO in replay value. and even FF11 is showing its age.

besides people have spent 100s of hours more gameplay time playing games like PSO than any offline game that's packed with a deep story.

those 'soap boxes' last 40-60 hours but PSO games, thanks to their great gameplay, can be enjoyed for at least double that amount. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

and PSO is a fine example because despite how shallow its story is, it's gameplay has always been cherished and experienced again and again. and it's all thsnks to the gameplay. whatever story it has on the side is a plus, but not the source of the fun.

tank1
Aug 24, 2006, 11:11 AM
PSO is an online game with hundreds of people to interact with whereas FF (excluding 11) is a single player rpg. Its not the gameplay that makes you play PSO its the fact there is people to play with even the most boring game is fun once you throw a few people in the mix. Try playing PSO offline with just yourself and see how long you last until you get bored senseless.

but once the story is over, barely anyone would want to play them again from scratch, since the gameplay is so limited and combat systems so basic.
and those games are non-upgradable for new content and lack player interaction with friends. so a Final Fantasy can never outlast a PSO in replay value. and even FF11 is showing its age.

Three words Final Fantasy VII

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tank1 on 2006-08-24 09:17 ]</font>

Saner
Aug 24, 2006, 11:35 AM
On 2006-08-24 09:11, tank1 wrote:
PSO is an online game with hundreds of people to interact with whereas FF (excluding 11) is a single player rpg. Its not the gameplay that makes you play PSO its the fact there is people to play with even the most boring game is fun once you throw a few people in the mix. Try playing PSO offline with just yourself and see how long you last until you get bored senseless.

well duh obviously games like PSO's online are not intended to be played alone! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

but there are people ou there who still have fun with it playing solo. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Three words Final Fantasy VII

one of the most overrated games ever.

I played that since it came out and while its characters and story are great it's just a museum piece of rock after beating it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

a great story doesn't mean everyone will feel like playing FF7 again and again. countless FF7 fans either just talk about it now, or write fanfics or draw art, or play other FF games related to it. But that doesn't count replay value.

Yes there are people who at least replay it once a year but that's borderline fanatical if you ask me, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

especially for a game with such limited content compared to even titles released after it. not to mention outdated combat system and gameplay in general. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

and with no multiplayer or some form of player interaction and goals to seek beyond the small pool of secrets and rare stuff it offers, FF7 has been thrown aside and even sold for new and better games.

Countless people have long ago gotten bored of it but those fans never get bored of talking about it, which goes to show that FF7 is merely a pandemonium of nostalgia, nothing more. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

besides if FF7 is so great why aren't you playing it now? why need any other game? why are you even waiting for PSU? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

so much for great story if the gameplay doesn't provide more reasons to keep playing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-08-24 09:36 ]</font>

mattdude
Aug 24, 2006, 11:39 AM
Bet they are going to remak FFVII on the PS3......like graphics wise, but everything else the same like the story line and the battle system, everything but just the graphics....

tank1
Aug 24, 2006, 11:44 AM
besides if FF7 is so great why aren't you playing it now? why need any other game? why are you even waiting for PSU?

Im waiting for PSU because it looks good why arent you still playing PSO by your own logic if it is os great? But your whole story dosent matter argument is to be frank BS. Havent you frequently said "ya im gonna play the offline first i want to know what happens to ethan etc" so you saying the story dont matter reeks of hypicocrisy.

well duh obviously games like PSO's online are not intended to be played alone!

Kinda like how the FF series is a single player game and not an mmorpg like you keep comparing it to.

Countless people have long ago gotten bored of it but those fans never get bored of talking about it, which goes to show that FF7 is merely a pandemonium of nostalgia, nothing more.

Like people have tired of PSO and are now waiting for PSU people still play PSO but the same amount of people probably still boot FF7 up for a whirl here and there aswell also only 3 years seperates PSO from FF7 and im leaving out later games so id asy PSO reeks of nostalgia aswell by now.

[quote]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tank1 on 2006-08-24 09:48 ]</font>

Saner
Aug 24, 2006, 11:58 AM
Im waiting for PSU because it looks good why arent you still playing PSO by your own logic if it is os great? But your whole story dosent matter argument is to be frank BS. Havent you frequently said "ya im gonna play the offline first i want to know what happens to ethan etc" so you saying the story dont matter reeks of hypicocrisy.

I didn;t say story didn;t matter.

and I made a topic where I changed my mind and going to do online since that's the core reason I played PSO in the first place and where the most fun will be at.

Kinda like how the FF series is a single player game and not an mmorpg like you keep comparing it to.

even different types of games must be compared to decide what you prefer to play. that's how people make up their minds which game is better to them.

Like people have tired of PSO and are now waiting for PSU people still play PSO but the same amount of people probably still boot FF7 up for a whirl here and there

the same amount of people? I played FF7 through and through and I have been sick of it years ago. I have no interest in picking it up again.

naturally people get tired of things and want something new/upgraded. but the potential replay value and fun in online RPGs like these and even FF11 far surpass anything games like FF7 offer.

people will still play those offline games for story but not much else.

Kyuu
Aug 24, 2006, 01:16 PM
Eh, more of Saner's rambling.

Skies of Arcadia was an amazing game, one of the best RPGs ever made in my opinion. It's only weakness was the rather slow battle system. The strategic ship to ship battles were fun, though, in my opinion.

Oh, and I also like the battle systems in FFVI, FFVII, and FFX. Not to mention Tactics, of course. Just because you don't enjoy it, don't assume that others don't. I'm also one of those who replays FFVII every once in a while. So, to me, it certainly does have replay value. FFXI has zero appeal to me whatsoever. I'd gladly pick up FFVII (or VI or X) again before I play that game. And no, I'm not averse to MMOs. I've played PSO since the first DC version, and played WoW for quite a while.

Basically, Saner, kindly quit acting as though your opinion is fact.

Saner
Aug 24, 2006, 01:50 PM
alright now how did this argument start? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

oh well nevermind. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

OnnaWren
Aug 24, 2006, 05:22 PM
FYI, to point something out from a previous post, Yuji Naka has been involved with Phantasy Star from the very beginning... credited in PS1 as "Muuu Yuji".

And, IMO, Skies of Arcadia was nothing short of awesome. Pity it didn't sell so well, flattened at first by Grandia II, and then by FF: Crystal Crap (j/k). http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Here's hoping for a someday sequel... -_-

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OnnaWren on 2006-08-24 15:24 ]</font>

PrinceBrightstar
Aug 24, 2006, 05:37 PM
Ya, SoA kinda lost its touch after about the time you collect the 5th color stone for me. I couldn't finish it after that point.
Was it her that thought to put storm troopers in PS1 though?

OnnaWren
Aug 24, 2006, 05:47 PM
I belive so. That, and Char Aznable. (sp?) XD

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 24, 2006, 05:49 PM
I'm very much with Saner on the gameplay-makes-for-more-replay-value thing, but we should all remember that there are some of us out there that actually hold story as a greater priority than gameplay (mainly RPG nuts who can't handle realtime combat from what I've seen http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif).

For those who want a decent story (in their opinion, at least), something along the lines of FF or Disgaea can be great for replay if they can handle the combat (that is, play them without being bored to DEATH!).

For those of us who have a hard time repeating a story or reliving adventures with endearing characters (like me and probably Saner over there), there's plenty of games that, while they often lack the kind of story we can find in a normal RPG, we don't need the damn story 'cause we can just have fun killing things over and over without having menus doing all the work. And the online ones give us a bonus of gettin to show off or chat with other folks.

Phaze37
Aug 24, 2006, 06:09 PM
Whats fun about clicking commands on a menu?
This is why I've never gotten around to finishing FF7 or Chrono Trigger or Skies of Arcadia, yet I've beaten every Castlevania since Symphony of the Night multiple times. Clearly FF7, CT, and SoA have far better storylines than any Castlevania, however Castlevania combines most of the things I enjoy about RPGs and it also has fun real-time combat that requires some skill, and your equipped weapons make more of a difference than just the damage they do, much like in PSO. Story is good but to me gameplay is far more important.

Aphael
Aug 24, 2006, 06:17 PM
I think the term "replay" should be taken with a grain of salt when talking about RPGs. Using the running example of FF7, I'd consider the endgame sidequests the "replay" aspect. When someone picks up PSO (the other example) and plays, do you start from level 1 every time, or stick with your running character? I usually go with an oldbie, myself. Same with FF7 (and most any other RPG with postgame material)

Edit: spelling

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aphael on 2006-08-24 16:17 ]</font>

Kyuu
Aug 24, 2006, 06:29 PM
I always start from the beginning in FFVII. >.>

Also, how stupid to say that those who enjoy RPGs can't "handle" real-time combat. I've played PSO for years, I played Halo, Doom, Marathon (the best pre-Quake FPS, if you've played it I give you +5 million brownie points... not that you care =P), whatever. Some people (like myself) can actually find something to enjoy in some RPG battle systems, and that doesn't imply some inability to handle faster, more "skill based" combat systems. Grandia II actually had a really fun battle system, IMHO. Truthfully, I usually find those who can't handle the battle systems in many RPGs to be simply impatient and unable to think strategically. See? I can generalize too.

Anyway... what was the topic of this thread again?

OnnaWren
Aug 24, 2006, 06:36 PM
Rieko Kodama, aka Phoenix Rie. Where she's at, what she's up to, etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OnnaWren on 2006-08-24 16:37 ]</font>

Authenticate
Aug 24, 2006, 07:53 PM
As far as I'm concerned it goes; Gameplay -> Bewbies -> Cool weapons -> Story.

Thankfully, PSU will have all that.

Oji_Retta
Aug 24, 2006, 08:21 PM
On 2006-08-24 16:36, OnnaWren wrote:
Rieko Kodama, aka Phoenix Rie. Where she's at, what she's up to, etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OnnaWren on 2006-08-24 16:37 ]</font>

I don't care and will never. I don't really care about staff. If the game's good its good. If its bad its bad. Kodama is staff so I don't care about that person. (I know. RUDE. But thats how I feel no matter how stupid it is.)

Fleece
Aug 24, 2006, 09:04 PM
Shinobi 3 was the best RPG ever........Sprint, Slash, Roof grab, drop, shuriken, jump slash.....etc etc

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 24, 2006, 09:28 PM
On 2006-08-24 16:29, Kyuu wrote:
how stupid to say that those who enjoy RPGs can't "handle" real-time combat.
Hey, I didn't mean everyone who enjoyed RPGs, just most of the RPG nuts that I've seen. There's many RPG nuts with skills, but I seldom see them. I just need to look harder.

I've played PSO for years, I played Halo, Doom, Marathon (the best pre-Quake FPS, if you've played it I give you +5 million brownie points... not that you care =P), whatever. Some people (like myself) can actually find something to enjoy in some RPG battle systems, and that doesn't imply some inability to handle faster, more "skill based" combat systems. Grandia II actually had a really fun battle system, IMHO.

I agree with you on that. Uh, except for the FPS thing. Timesplitters >>>> Halo http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif (oh, and I only played PSO for a year)
And Grandia II was fun for a while. I can find something to enjoy in some RPG systems too, only the ones that actually feel different.

Truthfully, I usually find those who can't handle the battle systems in many RPGs to be simply impatient and unable to think strategically. See? I can generalize too.

From what I've seen, this little generalization of yours also holds true a lot of the time. I'm not among these types, mind you..I am impatient but can play a really slow game if it makes me think. (many slow games seldom encourage thinking, and that's a problem.)

StratixEVO
Aug 24, 2006, 11:58 PM
LOL, what a great thread! Starting with a solid topic about a game developer turned "staff", ending with a discussion about what makes a game good/replayable.

Word to Kodama!

SoA rocked.... anyone notice that FFXII is a blatant (ok, I don't have proof) rip-off of the game, holy crap look up the summary for each, then check out the main character's name. LOL!

WHAT MAKES A GAME FUN IS DIFFERENT FOR EVERYONE! Get over it, FFVII rocks, PSO rocks, if you like it - it rocks. I think I poured 300 or so hours into each one.... and thats sad, but I liked em both that much. It's like the PS2, a total crap system to this day, but I'd be dumb not to have one and miss out on the games I like because of their platform. Be a real gamer, play what you like and leave others be.

kazuma56
Aug 25, 2006, 01:00 AM
PS4 was the game that brought me into the RPG genre (a good 10-12 years ago), so i've come to be accustomed to that type of system.

Previously, I was pure beat-em up, fighting (or versus games) and platformers, so i'm now a good mix in most if not all games.... barring sports titles...don't play them that much aside from NBA games and a little football (soccor) here and there, but i'm pretty much "well rounded" in all selection of games.

On a side note, I DO want to see a SOA2... or at least something else from reiko as that it (along with PS among others) are one of my favourite RPG's to have played.

Sinue_v2
Aug 25, 2006, 02:15 AM
I don't care and will never. I don't really care about staff. If the game's good its good. If its bad its bad.

Yeah, but the thing is - if you find a developer or a certain staff team which continually cranks out good titles which you like - then it pays off to watch them carefully to see what their next project is, because chances are you'll probably like that too.

Axios-
Aug 25, 2006, 08:46 AM
On 2006-08-24 21:58, StratixEVO wrote:
SoA rocked.... anyone notice that FFXII is a blatant (ok, I don't have proof) rip-off of the game, holy crap look up the summary for each, then check out the main character's name. LOL!

That one hit me like a ton of bricks when I saw the trailer. So... so very blatant.

Kyuu
Aug 25, 2006, 09:00 AM

Be a real gamer, play what you like and leave others be.
You win the thread.

Oji_Retta
Aug 25, 2006, 09:35 AM
On 2006-08-25 00:15, Sinue_v2 wrote:

I don't care and will never. I don't really care about staff. If the game's good its good. If its bad its bad.

Yeah, but the thing is - if you find a developer or a certain staff team which continually cranks out good titles which you like - then it pays off to watch them carefully to see what their next project is, because chances are you'll probably like that too.

True. I used to follow Enix until it merged with SquareSoft

Saner
Aug 25, 2006, 09:37 AM
what? despite its loony story, Star Ocean 3, (published by SquareEnix), is in my opinion Tri-Ace's best RPG.

Oji_Retta
Aug 25, 2006, 09:46 AM
Played that...#2 was better (opinion)

Saner
Aug 25, 2006, 09:49 AM
I dunno despite the good character interaction, SO2 didn't have as much character interaction as in SO3, so SO3 felt more natural to me but I did play through SO2 years ago first.

SO2 finally got interesting when the Ten Wise Men were introduced. but ya overall both are great.

OnnaWren
Aug 25, 2006, 01:08 PM
SO2 was good and all, but what does Phoenix Rie have to do with it? o_O;

Anyone out there have Deep Fear for the Saturn? Wasn't Kodama associated with that, too? I could have sworn she was...

kazuma56
Aug 25, 2006, 02:21 PM
I wish I had that title. I heard it was "good" by some reviewers but I didn't get to pick it up in time...the only last good games my saturn doesnt have are SF3 (kind of pointless since its a chaptered game) and deep fear, Dragon Force, Nights, Guardian heroes etc I own them all.

Sinue_v2
Aug 25, 2006, 07:42 PM
Yeah, Kodama was the Designer or Producer of Deep Fear I believe - as well as Magic Knight RayEarth (from United Game Artists) for the Saturn - but I haven't been able to find a copy of either of them so I don't know how well they turned out.

Oh.. and just because nobody else has yet...
http://www.phantasystarwiki.com/images/7/71/Reiko.jpg
She's actually really cute for an older lady! Though I definately think she looks better with long hair than short. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-08-25 17:57 ]</font>

zandra117
Aug 25, 2006, 08:53 PM

The story of FFXII takes place in the world of Ivalice, where the kingdoms of Arcadia and Rosaria are waging a bitter war against one another, and caught in the middle is the kingdom of Dalmasca. When Arcadia invades Dalmasca, the princess Ashe joins a resistance movement, and during the struggle meets Vaan, a young adventurer who dreams of commanding an airship. They are quickly joined by a band of allies, and together rally against the tyranny of the Arcadian Empire.

OdinTyler
Aug 26, 2006, 10:37 AM
Alot of the origins of PS is attributed to Rieko Kodama. Why? She created the wonderful saga we know & love. Having borrowed alot from Star Wars really did help make PS popular. I fell for the game because of the futuristic look & feel: something VERY different from other games out at the time. Also being that it was my first RPG ever, it really made an impact on me. Thankfully, its not a Star Wars clone & there are enough differences to compel one person to enjoy it for the great game that it is.

Rieko wasn't the only one who contributed to the game. Yuji must also be credited (known as Muuu Yuji as said above). I always thought their pen names were funny. Wondering what their real names were. My favorites were Phenix Rie, Bo & Ippo. Anyway, back to Yuji-boy. One of the things he was best known for there was the level design (mazes, for one). He became famous as Sonic's 'creator' & gained fame beyond that. Having taken over PS's helm with Rieko's departure, one can only wonder what PS would be like should Rieko return. I pray she does. It may never happen, but, having seen what she was capable of before, PS could only get better. I'll still play PS for my entire life, with or without her. I just sometimes reminisce about the past fondly.

kazuma56
Aug 26, 2006, 11:07 AM
On 2006-08-25 17:42, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Yeah, Kodama was the Designer or Producer of Deep Fear I believe - as well as Magic Knight RayEarth (from United Game Artists) for the Saturn - but I haven't been able to find a copy of either of them so I don't know how well they turned out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-08-25 17:57 ]</font>

Magic Knight Rayearth for saturn IMO wasn't that bad of a game, I throughly enjoyed the time I had with it although the "love triangles" and character interaction was sorely typical and predictable.

Gameplay-wise, it wasn't the best, it was sort of like Zelda games just with better looking sprites (the 2D ones) and a not so redundant story that came with the zelda games.

Overall, i'd probably gve the game a 6.5 or 7/10 if I were to give it a score, its decent at best, nothing SOA like.

OnnaWren
Aug 26, 2006, 02:38 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but I found Deep Fear to be a tad linear, but enjoyable nonetheless. It kind of reminded me of a cross between Resident Evil and the movie The Abyss... The text was in Japanese, but all the voices were in English, so playing it really doesn't present a huge problem, for those who are curious.