PDA

View Full Version : no offline multiplayer?!?!?!?

psoninja
Aug 24, 2006, 03:53 PM
so on the frount page of the site i read that there will be NO offline multiplayer for the ps2 ver. of PSU.

i for one think that really stinks, i own a GC and PSO, i had online for all of 1 mounth thats it the rest of the time for me and my friends and family that played pso was offline. (mainly because i dont have very much money to have that luxury)

i was really looking forward to offline multiplayer to have that same fun with my friends and family. but i guess sega did not put in to account pepole like me.

I WILL STILL PLAY THE GAME but..... i just wont have as much fun as i hoped

(anyway got any comments or questions then post away)

MoonSblaise
Aug 24, 2006, 03:57 PM
I feel your pain good sir, there are SOOOO many RPGs i wish were multiplayer, and i beg for another that is... so unfair! Hmm i haven't even played PSO before but i'm just drawn to PSU because of the online-mode... none the less... bring back multiplayer offline dang nabbit!

<Thwamps Sega>

Kyunji
Aug 24, 2006, 04:04 PM
Does it really matter that much? If you really want to play with your friends that badly, do yourself (and SEGA) a favor and just have your friends buy copies of the game and play online. Besides, I can imagine that trying to draw six individual players' screens on the PS2 at once wouldn't work out well.

Also, save money. It'll do ya good.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyunji on 2006-08-24 14:05 ]</font>

MoonSblaise
Aug 24, 2006, 04:06 PM
Nyah, someone has a stick up their butt! I just meant a simple 2 player system at the least. Poo you sir... poo you.

Pengfishh
Aug 24, 2006, 04:46 PM
Keep playing on the Gamecube if it provided so much fun. No reason to expect that aspect out of a new game.

mattdude
Aug 24, 2006, 04:47 PM
when they make PSU, they might have slipt screen for the PS2 or something......... like on the GC PSO 1 and 2.

beatrixkiddo
Aug 24, 2006, 04:52 PM
On 2006-08-24 13:53, psoninja wrote:
so on the frount page of the site i read that there will be NO offline multiplayer for the ps2 ver. of PSU.

i for one think that really stinks, i own a GC and PSO, i had online for all of 1 mounth thats it the rest of the time for me and my friends and family that played pso was offline. (mainly because i dont have very much money to have that luxury)

i was really looking forward to offline multiplayer to have that same fun with my friends and family. but i guess sega did not put in to account pepole like me.

I WILL STILL PLAY THE GAME but..... i just wont have as much fun as i hoped

(anyway got any comments or questions then post away)

Shit sux.

Phaze37
Aug 24, 2006, 05:20 PM
The PS2 can't handle split screen for PSU, because PSU pushes the PS2 to it's limits. We didn't have splitscreen in the Dreamcast versions of PSO because the Dreamcast couldnt handle it. When it was ported to the Gamecube it was possible because the Gamecube was powerful enough to do it. We might get splitscreen when PSU gets ported to another next-gen system, but even then 6 player splitscreen would be awkward. However, they should have added an option for LAN play with our extra mode characters. It's a shame that most videogame corporations completely ignore the possibility of LAN play in console games that would have really benefitted from it. LAN play in F-Zero GX or PSO or PSU would be incredible, but nooo, we get denied simply because the average gamer wouldn't bother....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phaze37 on 2006-08-24 15:22 ]</font>

vitius137
Aug 24, 2006, 06:29 PM
On 2006-08-24 15:20, Phaze37 wrote:
PSU pushes it to the limit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phaze37 on 2006-08-24 15:22 ]</font>

I really have to agree with this statement. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Kyuu
Aug 24, 2006, 06:34 PM
Aye, as previously stated, PSU eats up pretty much all the PS2 has to give, and then some, so trying to force it to draw more than one screen at a time isn't going to happen.

Perhaps they might consider it for the 360, but given the performance problems that have been reported with that version, probably not. They'll probably be more focused on ironing out the problems to get it running well just drawing one screen.

Arias
Aug 25, 2006, 04:33 AM
It wouldn't be fair to the other consoles either.
And me for a change, I don't mind that there's no offline multiplayer, since my brother will buy it on his PC, and me on a PS2. He isn't that fun to play with anyway >_>

KylePhoenix
Aug 25, 2006, 08:37 AM
Morons. Why do you keep saying "SICKZ SCRREEN WOULD BE HRAD TO DOO". What console provides six fucking controllers and controller ports?

Do what I'm doing. Live with it. Buy another console and game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KylePhoenix on 2006-08-25 06:37 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KylePhoenix on 2006-08-25 06:38 ]</font>

Saner
Aug 25, 2006, 09:15 AM
PC games generally never have splitscreen for games like these anyway, their multiplayer is through online.

Kyuu
Aug 25, 2006, 09:27 AM
So you finally admit that PSU is a PC game, eh Saner? ^_^

And good job with the flame, Kyle. It mostly just paints you as the very thing that you accuse of others. What does it matter if it's six screens, four, or two? The PS2 couldn't handle drawing even 2 screens at once. (Don't argue Saner, you know it's true. =P) Nitpicking at the number they chose (which is quite a logical choice, considering that six is the number of people allowed in a single party) is just... well, just don't nitpick. Also, there are such things as multitaps that allow you to connect more controllers to a console than there are ports on the machine itself.

Kyle is right with his second line, though. You're going to have to buy another game (and console, if you're playing the PS2 version) if you want to play with your friend(s). Not much that can be done about it.

Saner
Aug 25, 2006, 09:30 AM
aaaah I didn't mean that. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

I'm just saying that PS2 DOES HAVE 4 player splitscreen games but yes PSU does make use of its capabilities to its limits. so when you increase the size and content and graphics or something, you have to let go of split screen multiplayer. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

but ya PSU is a PS2 game as much is it a PC game also. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-08-25 07:31 ]</font>

Arias
Aug 25, 2006, 09:30 AM
Indeed.
But you can play PS2 games on the PS3 right? I would think the PS3 would be able to run 2 or 3 or 4screens at a time. I'm glad they won't though, that would give PS2 trouble

Celethalion
Aug 25, 2006, 02:16 PM
I personally don't mind the exclusion of splitscreen offline play for PSU. I remember trying it on Gamecube PSO, and just with 2 players, you lost so much detail in the menus etc. that it wasn't even safe to change equipment lest ye lose a 3 point bonus to ye attack power. And it was just cramped in general. I shudder at the thought of seriously trying the 4 player offline.

Phaze37
Aug 25, 2006, 02:44 PM
it wasn't even safe to change equipment lest ye lose a 3 point bonus to ye attack power.

Is this some sort of bug in split screen mode that I wasn't aware of?

vitius137
Aug 25, 2006, 02:47 PM
On 2006-08-25 07:27, Kyuu wrote:
So you finally admit that PSU is a PC game, eh Saner? ^_^

And good job with the flame, Kyle. It mostly just paints you as the very thing that you accuse of others. What does it matter if it's six screens, four, or two? The PS2 couldn't handle drawing even 2 screens at once. (Don't argue Saner, you know it's true. =P) Nitpicking at the number they chose (which is quite a logical choice, considering that six is the number of people allowed in a single party) is just... well, just don't nitpick. Also, there are such things as multitaps that allow you to connect more controllers to a console than there are ports on the machine itself.

Kyle is right with his second line, though. You're going to have to buy another game (and console, if you're playing the PS2 version) if you want to play with your friend(s). Not much that can be done about it.

not to mention ps2 has only 2 controller ports (no one wants a freaking multitap)

gothmogsbane
Aug 25, 2006, 04:30 PM
Is it possible that they might have an offline multiplayer for PC? (With multiple PC's, of course)

tank1
Aug 25, 2006, 04:34 PM
Is there anypoint to setting up a network to play PSU with mates when you can just hop online without having to cram an additional 5 pc's into your house.

Dre_o
Aug 25, 2006, 04:50 PM
OK lets look at it like this:

Would you rather play with your friends in a cramped, constricted, SIX PLAYER (hells no) screen? ORRRRR Would you rather have the game be in full beauty, you sitting comfortably at your PS2/360/PC, chatting with your friends??

Not to mention you'd only get to see your characters torso, due to screen limitations (See: PSO XBOX multiplayer)

Roken
Aug 25, 2006, 06:24 PM
On 2006-08-25 06:37, KylePhoenix wrote:
Morons. Why do you keep saying "SICKZ SCRREEN WOULD BE HRAD TO DOO". What console provides six fucking controllers and controller ports?

lmao

vashspecter
Aug 26, 2006, 08:48 PM
maybe if they can do this by making a second psu only make it so you cant go online but have it 2 disc one half on one dics and etc. this would really do it also the Wii would take it to the next level.

Blueblur
Aug 27, 2006, 12:53 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere down the line another version of PSU would be released with offline splitscreen multiplayer included. Look at how Sega rehashed PSO so many times!

Pure-chan
Aug 27, 2006, 01:58 PM
Not trying to flame, but everything about spilt-screen multi on PSO felt like it was cobbled together at the last minute to suck a few extra sales out of customers that didn't plan on buying an adapter for their gamecube to play one game.

To put it nicely, split-screen was pretty rough. The pop-up was unpleasant. The dumbing down of the displays for the hp/tp gages and menu UI were poorly thought out. Two player was painful for anything more involved than transfering items and I think 4p offline cmode made me die a little, inside.

Xbox ep 1 and 2 split-screen multi was more of the same, plus ported.

In fairness, it's hard to say how much of this was a rush job on ST's part vs. hardware limitations, but if those systems had that much trouble on ep. 1 and 2 - I think it's safe to hazard a guess at the PS2 having it's share of problems trying to render split-screen PSU:

http://ps3start.ytmnd.com/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pure-chan on 2006-08-27 12:14 ]</font>

vashspecter
Aug 27, 2006, 03:22 PM
i can see your point in that pure-chan though they can just do what xbox did and made it so you can use mutipule t.v. and cords 2 hook you up. but then again it just be better to buy the modem adapter thingy. plz correct me if you see me wrong. cuz i can be confuseing

Blueblur
Aug 27, 2006, 03:31 PM
Personally, I would have liked a fully functional offline multiplayer mode just because I often have people over and it would give them a taste of the game which could possibly entice them into getting it themselves. The more the merrier, no?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blueblur on 2006-08-27 13:32 ]</font>

Phaze37
Aug 27, 2006, 03:36 PM
though they can just do what xbox did and made it so you can use mutipule t.v. and cords 2 hook you up.
Wait, are you saying that the Xbox version of PSO Ep1&2 had LAN support? If that's the case then I need to get me an Xbox! If you're just talking about LAN play in general though, Xbox isn't the only console that can do that. A few of my friends bought broadband adaptors for their 'cube and they never played PSO online. They used it to play Mariokart Double Dash over a LAN. PS2 can do it as well but the only game I know of that supports it is Tony Hawks Underground. Not even the sequels support it. I really hate how most developers just ignore the possibility of LAN play on consoles, I would use that feature all the time if they brought out some good games (on a system other than xbox) that supported that feature.

Split screen on PSO really sucked. I'm still VERY glad they included it though, because it made moving items between characters much easier. That was all it was really good for. I hated having to bother people on Blue Burst to help me move items between my characters, and I was always afraid that they'd just jack my stuff. Thankfully in PSU we have the shared bank which will make moving items between characters easier than ever.

Blueblur
Aug 27, 2006, 03:40 PM
Its terrible how developers ignore LAN support. I'm spoiled with it because I've always used it with my Xbox to play Halo and Halo 2 with friends. Besides those two games and some other Xbox FPSes, there isn't much LAN support if any.

Catastrophe
Aug 30, 2006, 11:30 PM
If there is no multiplayer in extra mode, does that mean there is no contact whats so ever in offline, so having rares would be maybe... pointless?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Catastrophe on 2006-08-30 21:32 ]</font>

Ibuka
Aug 30, 2006, 11:34 PM
Unless you never plan on playing online, other then that yeah it seems pointless

butzopower
Aug 31, 2006, 10:30 AM
Wait three years for someone to crack and release a server and then play all the LAN games you want.

daddy_zach
Aug 31, 2006, 10:47 AM
On 2006-08-30 21:30, Catastrophe wrote:
If there is no multiplayer in extra mode, does that mean there is no contact whats so ever in offline, so having rares would be maybe... pointless?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Catastrophe on 2006-08-30 21:32 ]</font>

The point of rares are to look cool.....BUT....Never underestimate the power they bring. Which means if we dident have rares we wouldent have bad ass weapons for our viewing/using pleasures. Personaly i could care less if people see my rares. I Think they look sweet. And if they were pointless we would have no sweet looking powerful weapons. I also like the way the red rare boxes look in PSO. They look sexy and sleek.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: daddy_zach on 2006-08-31 08:48 ]</font>