PDA

View Full Version : PSU on the 360 and PS2: Install, or run from CD?

BU3NO
Aug 25, 2006, 12:46 AM
I remember reading about the PS2 version not being compatible with the hard drive. Does that mean the entire game would run from a cd, or did I miss something?

I just didn't expect that to be possible, seeing as FFXI had to be installed on both the PS2, and Xbox 360. If it works then I definitely don't have any objections, I was just curious.

Inu_Shadi
Aug 25, 2006, 02:48 AM
Sonic Team confirmed that that PSU will not use the PS2 HDD unit. Not sure about XBOX 360 yet but its probably the same install wise.

XredX
Aug 25, 2006, 03:04 AM
On 2006-08-24 22:46, BU3NO wrote:
I remember reading about the PS2 version not being compatible with the hard drive. Does that mean the entire game would run from a cd, or did I miss something?

I just didn't expect that to be possible, seeing as FFXI had to be installed on both the PS2, and Xbox 360. If it works then I definitely don't have any objections, I was just curious.

PS2/
yes the game will run from the CD but As this will be on ST Server im Guessing more weight on there server they will provied the rest thats needed to Play the game properly. imo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: XredX on 2006-08-25 01:19 ]</font>

watashiwa
Aug 25, 2006, 06:59 AM
I'd think the 360 version would install some files to the HD.. I don't know how much, but I'd bet it installs something there. For both faster loading and/or patching..

Since the 360 version doesn't have to be compatible with the PS2 or PC versions, they can do whatever they want to the executables or data. (afaik anyway) So, like that diss of the 360 version having foggy graphics and lag from IGN, they could easily patch those problems or perhaps have a visual effects setting at some later point with a patched executable on the HD.

I think, ultimately, the 360 version will be the best version as far as anti-cheats as well. Of course the PC version can be patched, but memory card patching on the PS2 can only go so far. You can bet that if they find a MAJOR SUPER EXPLOIT that cannot be patched via a memory card, they will release another version of the game. (Gamecube had PSO 1.0, 1.1 and Plus for the SAME game.. just to patch things inbetween it. From 1.0 to 1.1 fixed network connectivity issues with PPPoE DSL and 1.2 [Plus] fixed duping problems..)

EtherForce
Aug 25, 2006, 07:18 AM
Well, apparently most the fixes are going to be done serverside, so they won't download much to the memory card.

IceBurner
Aug 25, 2006, 03:42 PM
As players with the Premiere disc can testify, PSU for PS2 manages to play off the disc by making a LOT of small loads. Unlike most MMO RPG's, PSU on PS2 doesn't appear to load up areas in their entirety, but makes small loads of a few seconds in transition areas, before, and after each cutscene. If you watch some of the Premiere disc videos of single player mode, this occurs with extremely high frequency. Online, it appears loading is less frequent due to the general lack of cutscenes, but there is loading between various parts of zones.

Saner
Aug 25, 2006, 04:10 PM
Dreamcast PSO v1 always loaded from the disc. it wasn't a problem.

tank1
Aug 25, 2006, 04:25 PM
PSO v1 wasnt an 10GB game. Its also a hell of alot cruder compared to PSU.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tank1 on 2006-08-25 14:26 ]</font>