PDA

View Full Version : PS2 version

Arias
Aug 25, 2006, 04:43 AM
I never had a PS2, but in order to play PSU, I'm going to buy a (REALLY:)) cheap one from a friend.

What I want to know is, apart for the PS2 and the game itself, which cables/cards/network thingies, will I need to play both offline and online?

Emrald
Aug 25, 2006, 06:04 AM
You don't need anything to play offline...online i'm not sure since i'm getting it for pc

Saner
Aug 25, 2006, 09:44 AM
if it's not a Slim PS2, you gotta get a PS2 network adapter that plugs in the back, read the instructions.

then get a CAT5 Ethernet cable, this plugs from the network adapter to the modem or router.

the network adapter comes with a configuration disc, this may be needed to setup your connection so the network adapter can receive and send clean signals for playing online games.

and that's pretty much it to play online. oh ya you most likely need a memory card too, in case some account info is saved there.

Naes_Siwel
Aug 25, 2006, 10:32 AM
Pretty much what Saner said. You might want to get a New memory card all togeather for PSU since Patches and so on will be sent to your memory card when downloaded from the server. Not sure how patches are sent to your memory card (as in overwriting or saving them in single file each) but you'll want as much space as possible... Just in case...

Oh and you might want to get a keyboard as well, and a friend who has the Network Disk Since you can't really find Network adapters new anymore...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Naes_Siwel on 2006-08-25 08:34 ]</font>

Saner
Aug 25, 2006, 10:46 AM
ya but if he's getting an older PS2 he'll still need the network adapter, even with the network disc.

I heard some managed to get a PC network adapter to work with PS2 but not sure.

but ya getting a keyboard too would help with communication.

Celethalion
Aug 25, 2006, 02:21 PM
I picked up a new PS2 network adapter at Walmart about 8 months ago. I'm certain that ye can still find them. If not in a store, then online someplace. Just know that it'll be around $35 for it.

But yeah Arias, figure out which model of PS2 it is, as the newer PStwo slim models have the network adapter built in.

Fleece
Aug 25, 2006, 05:57 PM
On 2006-08-25 07:44, Saner wrote:

then get a CAT5 Ethernet cable, this plugs from the network adapter to the modem or router.

CAT5 cabling is just a type of cabling it isnt a type of ethernet lead....... If you really want to order a cable from somewhere just ask for a "Straight-through" or "Patch" Cable, the salesman will get your jist.....or build your own 'Top Fun!'

But im sure saner knew this already........obviously

Saner
Aug 25, 2006, 08:19 PM
I had a CAT6 cable but that prevented me from hosting in some online games. and when I got a CAT5e cable it worked a lot better.

I called Sony and they said that's because CAT6 wasn't around when the PS2 network adapter first came out, so they really didn't get to test how well it works with it. its performance varies. but ya CAT5 seems to be more reliable.

Asim
Aug 25, 2006, 08:23 PM
Yeah, I'm getting PS2 online. Can't I use any Ethernet wire ? such as my Dreamcast ethernet wire i still have.

Arias
Aug 26, 2006, 08:06 AM
Thanks guys. And indeed it IS an older PS2, I think it won't be a PS2Slimline (sry i don't know ANYTHING about PlayStation, always have been a Nintendo fan)
I'll see what I can get from my friend http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Saner
Aug 26, 2006, 08:47 AM
On 2006-08-25 18:23, Asim wrote:
Yeah, I'm getting PS2 online. Can't I use any Ethernet wire ? such as my Dreamcast ethernet wire i still have.

are you sure that's ethernet? I barely remember anything about Dreamcast's connection but I think that only supported a phoneline (56k), not broadband.

Flamingo99
Aug 26, 2006, 11:46 AM
DC supported broadband, but you had to buy a broadband adapter. It came with a 56k modem in it though.

uhawww
Aug 26, 2006, 11:52 AM
You basically had to buy the DC broadband adaptor during the initial stock release to stores, 'cause I don't think they made many more than that, and they very quickly became rare.

Ryo_Hayasa
Aug 26, 2006, 12:01 PM
for the most part (just a note) when you boot up a game with online gameplay it automatically brings you to a network config screen, from there it's step-by-step

make sure you get a keyboard, you'll better off with one and you'll be thankfull that ou got it down the road.

Arias
Sep 2, 2006, 04:19 AM
Well, I asked my friend and he said I get all his cables with it to get online and get the PS2 up and running. All I indeed need now is a Mem Card of my own (i might get a one of his and delete his stuff)

Thanks for the help guys.
Oh and I need a kb too http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

jstroh
Sep 2, 2006, 04:36 AM
Be aware that if the PS2 you get is not Japanese you will have to hack or buy a Japanese PS2 to play the Japanese version...
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=118117&forum=3&start=0&14

Dingo
Sep 2, 2006, 05:21 AM
Is it just me or are any of you guys waiting for the first system-bashing-post? The title should be like a flame for those moths.

Arias
Sep 2, 2006, 05:31 AM
jstroh, I think (i think http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif) that I said in a few earlier posts, that I will not be importing. But I certainly said that I won't get the PS2 till december and I live in EU. So I'll be getting the EU version http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif, And i'm only 16, i can't speak a word japanese (well, 5words tbh)