PDA

View Full Version : do you think online play missions will eventually unlock a s

Saner
Aug 25, 2006, 10:41 AM
I'm just wondering because in FF11 (as tedious and boring as it can be), the main optional story was told through 'Missions' that first start out as 'normal' tasks
but eventually take a sharp turn into a greater mystery and plot points which snowballs into a climactic struggle between forces of good and evil!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

whew http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

but ya despite FF11's clever optional story arcs (Shadow Lord, Zilart, etc.), that game was 99% grind/farm and 1% fun anyways so not everyone online got the chance to enjoy those story missions without help or luck or oodles of hours of grinding. those story missions did have some really amazing and spiffy in-game cutscenes though. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/watermelon.gif but that aside, this topic is really about PSU's online story mode, the fact that it takes place 3 years after the offline story mode.

Does online had it's own eventual story to tell? some say it does not because it would defeat the point of redoable missions or whatever if it had a pre-set plot to the missions. Most prefer open-ended play so they can carve out their own roleplaying goals online. and that's okay.

but ya this also makes me wonder how the Extra mode will be treated. I guess Extra mode is the story mode missions with your own created character as the main character in that mode. so in a sense, Extra mode's timezone is Story mode's timezone, but remixed.

but online, surely it shares most of the dungeons the story mode uses, but perhaps make use of them and their optional objectives in a different light.

which is to say, even PSO's dungeons had a purpose beyond drops, bosses and exp. so maybe PSU online has some kind of continuation to the offline story's historical events?

Fou
Aug 25, 2006, 10:48 AM
I dont know for sure but i belive there will be a story to it cant think of any mmorpg that hasnt so far but i could be wrong ofcourse http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif but im 95% sure there will be its a gut feelin heh.

Ifrian
Aug 25, 2006, 10:51 AM
I also believe there will be ....

Anyway i have enough with some lovable character with some plot by itself , just like Seat of the heart or so.

Roken
Aug 25, 2006, 11:09 AM
Hopefully even after the offline mode's story, the online one has strong points as well, and doesnt consist of tedious/boring quest and missions or a non-existant story as many other MMO's. FFXI to me is the only one which executed its story-telling very well, which is why I'm hoping to some extent PSU online isnt just open-ended with a bunch of random quest 99% of the time that has no story at all.

uhawww
Aug 25, 2006, 11:29 AM
In the most recent blog update, they speak of Network Mode having "Story Missions".

So...hopefully it will have som interesting tie-ins and player involvement.

However, FFXI really set the bar as far as MMORPG storytelling is concerned, and I don't think it will be topped anytime soon.

Saner
Aug 25, 2006, 11:38 AM
ya true.

but it's too bad many people get drained from camping/grinding that they give up before they even start the SL missions. it just goes to show how harsh FF11 is progress-wise, but of course that's their cruel way of forcing players to spend more time with the game before oddles of hours later they can finally get the benefits, but by then it's not even worth it to some. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

PandaMasterX4
Aug 25, 2006, 11:51 AM
The story in FFXI was what kept me in the game. Unlike WoW or Hero Online, or anything else for that matter. By far FFXI had a story that just changed the way we thought about MMOs. Before that, no one thought that MMOs should have story, just quests from individuals really.

I would definately love if PSU had a story to it. What made the story much greater in FFXI was the blood sweat and tears that happened on the journey through it. The story wasn't easy to progress through, but damn was it worth it.

Saner
Aug 25, 2006, 12:06 PM
On 2006-08-25 09:51, PandaMasterX4 wrote:
The story in FFXI was what kept me in the game. Unlike WoW or Hero Online, or anything else for that matter. By far FFXI had a story that just changed the way we thought about MMOs. Before that, no one thought that MMOs should have story, just quests from individuals really.

I would definately love if PSU had a story to it. What made the story much greater in FFXI was the blood sweat and tears that happened on the journey through it. The story wasn't easy to progress through, but damn was it worth it.

well that's if people can stand grinding to the level where they can even begin doing the missions and even then most of the time they'll need really good help.

I barely managed to beat SL and the quests before it because I got really high lv. help and I was only lv.52. But even though that story and the cutscenes I seen of Zilart missions and Promathia missions were great, I questioned the whole process of grinding all these levels only to barely start getting into the 'fun'.

I had depressing anxiety moments where I quit grinding totally and then went back and continuing leveling and back and forth, until I finally quit FF11 cause to me it just wasn't worth it anymore. the grind was not fun at all.

but anyways ya people who missed out on the story cutscenes, you can always go to youtube or some f.a.q.s. to see what ya missed. lol. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

but ya PSU will be fun online regardless, but a concrete plot would be a plus. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

However even if online lacks a story, the offline story greatly makes up for it because as we seen, the story presentation for the offline story is looking to be fantastic!

so at least that serves as the foundation for which the future (online's point in time) is linked to.

but ya us 100% online players won't have time for offline just yet but maybe we can learn everything about it after the Japanese release comes out. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-08-25 10:10 ]</font>

PandaMasterX4
Aug 25, 2006, 12:18 PM
I really didn't suck at FFXI. I beat shadowlord with a PT of level 50s.

I finished Zilart at level 63

I had jobs leveled up to the proper level for CoP, until the 50 cap where I leveled my nin to 72 in a week and a half.

I found absolutely no "grinding" because I knew how to play the game as well as my job. In FFXI, everyone loved leveling that I knew, but I hated it. I found it as more of a job than anything. So I sped leveled through everything. My thief got from level 50 - 75 in one week (due to depression of a recent 4 year break up and I needed something to do to occupy my mind).

I was a thief, I was rich. Never had problems with gil and always hunted for my equipment (leaping boots, emp pin, thief's knife, etc.) I found no problem with the leveling process to do the missions. It was all about preperations. If you weren't prepared, you shouldn't have been there.

I think the same should apply here as well. It is easier to get items which will be nice, but in all honestly, the difficulty makes the reward so much sweeter.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PandaMasterX4 on 2006-08-25 10:19 ]</font>

Saner
Aug 25, 2006, 12:23 PM
On 2006-08-25 10:18, PandaMasterX4 wrote:
I really didn't suck at FFXI. I beat shadowlord with a PT of level 50s.

I finished Zilart at level 63

I had jobs leveled up to the proper level for CoP, until the 50 cap where I leveled my nin to 72 in a week and a half.

I found absolutely no "grinding" because I knew how to play the game as well as my job. In FFXI, everyone loved leveling that I knew, but I hated it. I found it as more of a job than anything. So I sped leveled through everything. My thief got from level 50 - 75 in one week (due to depression of a recent 4 year break up and I needed something to do to occupy my mind).

I was a thief, I was rich. Never had problems with gil and always hunted for my equipment (leaping boots, emp pin, thief's knife, etc.) I found no problem with the leveling process to do the missions. It was all about preperations. If you weren't prepared, you shouldn't have been there.

I think the same should apply here as well. It is easier to get items which will be nice, but in all honestly, the difficulty makes the reward so much sweeter.

ya but if the slope is too steep, some people will just give up and not care about the reward.

I'm not saying stuff should be handed to us but FF11 was a monster of a chore. whereas of course games like PSO are more user friendly.

FF11 has some great things about it that no other game will have, but anyway, glad that's over. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

PandaMasterX4
Aug 25, 2006, 12:32 PM
I agree, the game wasn't mean for the average audience.

Task
Aug 25, 2006, 12:36 PM
Hopefully the online missions will give us new little scenarios, but I'm not looking for any earth-shattering plot twists in PSU online mode.

Tycho
Aug 25, 2006, 01:49 PM
There are three types of missions online. 'Story Missions' are among these, and according to the blog there will be a new Mission every week.

Valkayree
Aug 25, 2006, 01:59 PM
Probably the most annoying thing about FFXI that PSU will remedy for me is the ability to almost instanty meet up with your friends. In FFXI, without an airship pass, a chocobo, flee spell, warp, or teleport, it takes about an hour to meet up with your friends at minimum. Not to mention all the vets on that game were stingy selfish #$#%# imo. I started with PSO, put 1500+ hours into it, and this type of gameplay is what drives me. FFXI, I play it only because PSU is not out, and lord knows i do not enjoy it.

Roken
Aug 25, 2006, 02:10 PM
... I still never understand how a bunch of lvl 70's say that they had a hard time fighting the shadow lord on rank 5-2.

Saner
Aug 25, 2006, 09:21 PM
wow it looks like its happening!

"The offline story will be continued with a series of online Story Missions. These missions will be chained together to form a unique plotline. According to the interview, new missions will be distributed periodically and you must play the previous story missions to access new ones. "

sounds great! I was amazed to find this news on pso-world front page today. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

JasonWFD
Aug 25, 2006, 09:46 PM
Saner? Precognitive? Egads!

EtherForce
Aug 25, 2006, 09:56 PM
Two-headed dragon: Rawr, nice to meet ya Ethan, now die!
Dragon: Rawr, I may have gotten one of my heads cut off by Ethan three years ago but now I'm back, and this time I'm hungry for you!

How's that for a unique storyline?!

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 26, 2006, 01:45 AM
So will these story missions have different ranks or something? I'd imagine it would suck if these quests were too hard for low-levels or too easy for high-levels.

And would it be too much to expect these quests to feel consistent with the fact that lots and lots of people will be doing them at different times? You know..when the fate of the universe hangs in the balance, after one party saves it, just how many times does the universe need to be saved?

Dark Falz: Aw man, those level 180 people just pwned me. That's like the hundredth time this week. And those rings I keep dropping, I have to pay for those!
Olga Flow: Tell me about it. I've been getting the crap kicked out of me on Normal mode by some veterans making new characters. And them swords I drop don't come cheap either.
Dark Falz: Oh shit. I better get going. Level 100 party fighting me on Hard mode. Ugh.

Kyuu
Aug 26, 2006, 01:53 AM
I'd imagine the story missions will have different ranks just like the other missions. Or, if not, they'll probably be aimed to be moderately difficult for high level players. The previous sentence is only my speculation, of course.

Ifrian
Aug 26, 2006, 02:31 AM
On 2006-08-25 23:45, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
So will these story missions have different ranks or something? I'd imagine it would suck if these quests were too hard for low-levels or too easy for high-levels.

And would it be too much to expect these quests to feel consistent with the fact that lots and lots of people will be doing them at different times? You know..when the fate of the universe hangs in the balance, after one party saves it, just how many times does the universe need to be saved?

Dark Falz: Aw man, those level 180 people just pwned me. That's like the hundredth time this week. And those rings I keep dropping, I have to pay for those!
Olga Flow: Tell me about it. I've been getting the crap kicked out of me on Normal mode by some veterans making new characters. And them swords I drop don't come cheap either.
Dark Falz: Oh shit. I better get going. Level 100 party fighting me on Hard mode. Ugh.

THat made my morning , hahahaha ( the conv about dark falz and olga)

and yeah , you got a point there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ifrian on 2006-08-26 00:32 ]</font>

zandra117
Aug 26, 2006, 03:05 AM
Sweet, online story quests are gonna be set up like C-Mode, you have to beat the quest before it to unlock the next one. That combined with level requirements for quests is what will seperate the true heroes from the rest of the crowd.
The first team to beat the final story quest on the hardest difficulty with the highest score should be declared the Heroes of PSU Online.

Sev
Aug 26, 2006, 03:49 AM
Now we can see why they've been promoting playing the Offline story first. It's not just about knowing the universe in which you're playing... It's partly to understand the Online story as well. Still, alot of people will just neglect it.

This is a really good move though. I hope there's quests with their own stories thrown in there as well. I loved quests like that in PSO, that took you on a different path and taught you about other people within the world you were playing. That makes the game feel alot bigger in essence.

Bring back the cake shop!

Saner
Aug 26, 2006, 03:54 AM
difficulty won't be a problem cause only those who completed the first online story missions can do the next ones that follow, so in a way the newer missions will be naturally harder,

and beginners won't have to worry about the later missions because they still have to complete the ones before them. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

but ya there surely will be ranking/difficulty settings I think so people can seek a greater challenge when they redo those missions and stuff.

zandra117
Aug 26, 2006, 04:20 AM
This is PSU's version of challenge mode.

Saner
Aug 26, 2006, 04:42 AM
challenge mode? I dont think I played that mode before.

was challenge mode story driven?

DraginHikari
Aug 26, 2006, 11:50 AM
*blinks* How can you compare C-mode to a story, I understand the point of one unlocking after another but C-mode was a different setup entirely